• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NeoGAF Poetry Corner - Challenge #32: Two Sides Of An Epic Coin Toss

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

Neutrality said:
I know exactly what you mean.
I had like five minutes on the deadline, and was in the middle of a League of Legends game and tossed a coin (I actually did, I swear) to decide on on what I would enter, that being a song or a poem I had written recently.
So yes it literally was rushed.
I also forgot some lines.
Haha.

Thank you for the compliment.
I always love reading your poems.

Even if you feel that way, don't say it next time, dude. It affects the reader's perception going in. I ended up enjoying it a good bit too.

*grumble grumble mumble mumble*
I know...

Anywhoooo.

1st - Tim for Stardust
2nd - Booooootay for Corpse Lights
3rd - Ashes for Angry Young Men

hm. Miri, Miri, and Miri.

1. Tim the Wiz - Stardust
2. soultron - Embodied in Copper
3. AnkitT - If Only...

HM; Miri - Shallow Gouge, Ashes - Hometown Glory, Toodles - The Party

Ashes

Banned
1. Bootaay - corpse lights
2. Tim the wiz - stardust
3. Devine - life or death

Hm. Miri, Soultron, AnkitT & Bootaaay

soultron

Banned
I will be voting and critiquing in the next ten minutes! I just got home from a really busy weekend and have barely had time to catch up with this thread.

I don't want to miss the deadline, but I like to be detailed in my compliments and critiques! :c

soultron

Banned
Compliments & Critiques:

AnkitT (placeholder): I liked the rhyming scheme, but it forced a quicker pace than I felt was necessary with an already short poem. I do like the message you're trying to convey though.

AnkitT (If only): This poem speaks to me on a personal level because I have a lot of regrets too. The imagery was great, especially the line "tears evaporating before existing."

Miri (Wander): I loved the closing line. I feel short poems typically lack punch, however. Your writing is great, but I feel a longer format really allows you to showcase that.

Miri (Shallow): The open and close are fantastic. I'm unsure if Perseveria is the one speaking, but the character speaking is crafted and established quickly with the dialogue you gave her. The lines
“You claim me the devil,”
“But the devil’s only in those who desire me.”
“Like flint to the fire, see;”
really stood out. I enjoyed this poem a lot. I feel the longer format really benefits you, like I mentioned before.

Tim the Wiz (Stardust): Structurally, I'm not sure if you were going for an alternating rhyming scheme, but it worked out nicely. Because I was analyzing this poem in that sense as soon as I started reading it, I couldn't get a good rhythm from it. However, your imagery is fantastic. It's taking me a few read-throughs to fully understand it, but the close is phenomenal.

Ashes (Hometown Glory): I really felt that you have a personal connection to the riots. I'm guessing you live in one of the affected areas in London? I really enjoyed the fact that you packaged a timely and topical account of a real-world event into such a great poem. I couldn't really relate to your rhapsody (mainly because it went into so much detail, and I really didn't feel a rhythmic focus... could've been the formatting) but I thought this poem was excellent. Blacker bags and a whiter flag was the standout bit.

Toodles (The Party): I feel like you just came back from the events you described in your poem. It's an instantly relatable situation. The bit in parentheses was very jarring, however. It wasn't needed really. It re-grounded the writing in reality, when what I was enjoying was your poetic train of thought. Good read. It really nails the theme quite literally. I wasn't too exactly sure as to where your character was in his approach of this girl though; having approach anxiety, not getting a response from her yet, or maybe it was the moment in time before she opened her mouth for a response.

Bootaaay (Either Or): Fantastic rhythm. Excellent use of the theme. You nailed everything that was set forth in the challenge with this poem, in my opinion. It's also a good read, which is nice. Not much more needs to be said: top vote from me.

Bootaay (Corpse Lights): I enjoyed this poem a lot. The imagery and word choices were very nice. However, I felt that Either Or did a lot more in regards to addressing the theme and the goals of this challenge.

Neutrality (About a Queen): This poem almost read like a long-form epitaph, because of the subject matter. It was an inspiring and enjoyable read about someone almost celebrating their exit because they know others will celebrate that person even after they're gone. The lines "Well it's been three weeks, since we've last seen your eyes
It has been three weeks, since we've last felt alive," are absolutely grand. I didn't get a great sense of rhythm, but there were moments where it actually worked.

Divine (Life or Death): This poem didn't really do much for me, unfortunately. I made the assumption that it was a Batman poem when the name was mentioned. The theme was taken literally, which was nice, but the fact that the coin toss was cheapened by multiple tosses deflated any impact of the outcome. The revolver bit had me excited because I thought it was going to lead to suicide... which would've been a much more weighty outcome, even if a touch cliche.

----

Votes:

1. Bootaaay. Either Or.
2. Neutrality. About a Queen.
3. Ashes. Hometown Glory.

HM: Tim and Miri.

soultron

Banned
Ashes1396 said:
Soultron - I think you were trying to infer gambler's ruin at first, but then I thought it was just gambling addiction in general. I found it difficult to relate to, though it may just be a reader thing; I think I got it though, and you wrote it in a really nice way, so overall a plus I think.
The coin is a metaphor for a relationship and love. Just like with coins, you can get your favoured result many times in a row, but eventually, your luck/love will run out.

The character experiences this after his/her relationship goes sour. But, if s/he hadn't taken the risk in the first place, s/he'd have gained nothing, not even the experience and/or memories.

The character in the poem learns from loss by keeping the experience as a reminder for the next relationship, almost hoping that it will somehow extend their luck in love.

I enjoyed your interpretation though! It's fun to go back and reframe your own work with an interpretation other than your own.

Ashes

Banned
soultron said:
The coin is a metaphor for a relationship and love. Just like with coins, you can get your favoured result many times in a row, but eventually, your luck/love will run out.

The character experiences this after his/her relationship goes sour. But, if s/he hadn't taken the risk in the first place, s/he'd have gained nothing, not even the experience and/or memories.

The character in the poem learns from loss by keeping the experience as a reminder for the next relationship, almost hoping that it will somehow extend their luck in love.

I enjoyed your interpretation though! It's fun to go back and reframe your own work with an interpretation other than your own.

Hmm, I knew something didn't fit. Really like your explanation. hopefully, Miri puts up his..

I'm reading something really engrossing at the mo; results up ASAP! I promise.

Ashes

Banned

The Results

1. Tim the Wiz - "Stardust" : 12 pts **
2. Bootaaay - "Corpse Lights" : 11 pts ***
3. Bootaaay - "Either or Or?" : 07 pts **

Congrats... Tim the Wiz, who won by the smallest of small margins. An epic toss of the coin you might say. A win is a win nonetheless! And in the midst of top notch stuff. I'm sure Bootaaay will be glad to know he has the rest of the podium all by himself! :p

Full Results

1. Tim the Wiz - "Stardust" : 12 pts **
2. Bootaaay - "Corpse Lights" : 11 pts ***
3. Bootaaay - "Either or Or?" : 07 pts **
4. soultron - "Embodied in Copper" 06 pts
5. AnkitT - "If only" : 05 pts *
6. Ashes1396 - "Hometown Glory" 04 pts *
6. Ashes1396 - "Mindless violence? F**k you! - A Youth Cut Rhapsody"
or "ANGRY YOUNG MEN" 04 pts
7. AnkitT - "Placeholder" - 02 pts
7. Neutrality - "About a Queen" - 02 pts
8. Divine - "Life or Death" - 01 pt

A big thank you to everyone who put in an entry, commented, provided a critique, voted and took part. Thank you to Miri who bumped this thread reminding me to put in my own entry. And a big thank you to Bootaaay who compiles the archive. Cheers folks. See ya hopefully in the next thread. Hope you enjoyed the stuff this time round...

Oh, I see. Voting works different in these threads due to the creative writing ones limiting you to one entry. Wow, okay. Thanks, guys.

Toodles said:
I enjoyed this thematically and I believe it has a few moments of genuinely satisfying syllabic play. I think sections of it could be handled with greater deft though. Oh and the roughshod rhyming appeals to me too.

I'm glad you noticed and liked that. It was shaped a lot by where I was going with the last line--which came to me right after the first two. That is, "covenant" doesn't have much in the way of direct rhymes, but I thought it worked well enough with near ones. A nice unplanned result.

iavi

Ashes1396 said:
Hmm, I knew something didn't fit. Really like your explanation. hopefully, Miri puts up his..

The whole thing was one big metaphor for the battle between perseverance and the fear of rejection/change/loss etc....etc.... They're sisters to symbolize 'one mind.' Perseveria/perseverance is the one receiving the blows without much of a concern because that's usually how it works out. Fear is rationalizing her methods because that also has a habit of happening. And the 'battle field of failed bodies' around them is meant to make for all of the 'minds' who didn't make it, so to speak.

I'm disappointed that it didn't seem to work out, but I can see how it wasn't conveyed clearly enough, and am already seeing ways that I could have done it so much better. That's working at it for ya alright. ;)

Congrats on the win, Tim.

soultron

Banned
Congrats to Tim and Bootaaay! I really enjoyed all the poems showcased in this challenge. The theme made things very interesting! :]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom