• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Neogaf Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Cauliflower of Love said:
What kind of pain?

You may have been resting the bar on the wrong part of the shoulders (assuming you were doing it with a barbell.

I was using two dumbbells. It's what I've been doing for a long time, and I've neve experienced this before. I don't know how to describe the pain, I felt it in the front and the back. maybe it was just a rush of blood to the head? that's been known to cause a headache or two.

demon

I just tried again and I could feel the pain coming back, so I didn't finish the set, but it still kinda hurt. WTF is this? this has never happened to me before.

demon said:
I was using two dumbbells. It's what I've been doing for a long time, and I've neve experienced this before. I don't know how to describe the pain, I felt it in the front and the back. maybe it was just a rush of blood to the head? that's been known to cause a headache or two.

Check your posture, you may be pinching a nerve somewhere. Straight back, eyes forward.

demon said:

When I'm done with a set of squats, I get a rush of blood to my head but it was never painful. How was your breathing?

Dumbbell press is a pretty good replacement for bench press. Actually a lot of people agree that dumbbell presses do a couple things that bench presses don't - with the stabilizer muscles since you have to balance each one. I'm not exactly sure what advantage bench presses have over dumbbell presses, except you can pump out more iron I think

Agreed. DB Presses have a lot of advantages over regular benching. Although after a bulking cycle, I noticed that my chest was lagging despite breaking repeated maxes on my DB Bench. Despite using 110 lb DB's for bench, I struggled to put up 195 lbs on my bench. At that point on, I included the bench and it shot up. Chest development improved considerably also.

Just some anecdotal evidence but I'll never abandon BB Bench again. Not sure how much medical basis there with my statements but you cannot go wrong with DB Bench at all.

My chest workout btw:

DB Flyes
Parallel Bar Dips
Bench Press/DB Bench Press
DB Incline Bench Press
Cable Crossover

Christopher

If anyone wants my workout program PM me - I have it saved on my computer, it's a 12 week program, so you gotta stick with it.

Linkhero1

Christopher said:
If anyone wants my workout program PM me - I have it saved on my computer, it's a 12 week program, so you gotta stick with it.
I think you should empty your inbox first :D :p

Send it too me too. Thanks

demon

Any easy, good ways to do dips without some big expensive dip apparatus? Not much room in my little apartment. And are they really the best exercise for the chest?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Swimming is extremely good. The water resistance affects your whole body.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Losing fat helps tone your body, as does making bigger muscles.

Swimming is great exercise for working out nearly every single muscle in your body.

So, yes.

Ether_Snake said:
Swimming is extremely good. The water resistance affects your whole body.

Not exactly. In fact, this "water resistance" you speak of is actually negative resistance that supports your body instead of working against it, we call it buoyancy ;)

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/top-9-fitness-myths-busted?page=2

...unless you are swimming for hours a day, it may not help you lose much weight.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I dont think this has been answered yet,

I play a lot of soccer, so my build mostly reflects that,. I also did a lot of track so I got pretty strong legs, good abs, etc. Dunno much about working out other than the very basics (push ups, sit ups)

Lately Ive been starting to play basketball and shin splints have been a mayor issue since the court we play in is hard concrete, on a week I'll play ball twice, indoor soccer once (field turf) and outdoor soccer twice. Any tips to help reduce the pain from shin splints? I know rest is the best solution, but Im curious as to other alternatives.

Another big problem has been my lower back, its been feeling SUPER stiff whenever I start running or making quick turns, plus a slight pinch when I run as well (this is all quite new since the things I do best is high speed running and being pretty flexible). I stretch obviously, but I wonder if its just fatigue or maybe I should be doing something in particular?

Anyways, sorry this is vague, any ideas help :)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
404Ender said:
Not exactly. In fact, this "water resistance" you speak of is actually negative resistance that supports your body instead of working against it, we call it buoyancy ;)

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/top-9-fitness-myths-busted?page=2

Moving your arms and legs through water causes them to face resistance, which means that just staying in place is an exercise of its own. If it wasn't true then it would be easy to move your arms at high speed through the water, but it's definitly not. And then of course you add swimming to that:p

Is it normal to not feel sore until like 36 hours after you work out?

For example: I work my chest Wednesday evening. Wednesday evening post-workout my chest feels sore. Thursday I feel fine, then on Friday I start to feel sore like I just worked out.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Quadrophenic said:

For example: I work my chest Wednesday evening. Wednesday evening post-workout my chest feels sore. Thursday I feel fine, then on Friday I start to feel sore like I just worked out.

DOMS aka delayed onset muscle soreness suck. I used to get it a lot but have found a few things that help me avoid them. Stretching and a long shower after lifting and adding a carb to my post work out protein shake. Some other things that might help are like 5-10 minutes of low intensity cardio to warm up and 5-10 minutes of low intensity cardio after lifting.

Any one here ever use an A.I like 6-oxo? If so what was your experience like? I looking for something to help with my next bulk cycle come September. For some reason I have a hell of a time gaining muscle. Being and endomorph it should be easy and is not my guess is either I have low testosterone or high estrogen.

demon

Alright I have another queston. What's the best way to build my fucking calves? I've tried calve-specific exercises a few times before for a while, but they never seem to grow. Even though I do squats/dead lifts and used to do a lot of running/biking, my calves are always skinnier than the average guy's. I hate it.

demon said:
Alright I have another queston. What's the best way to build my fucking calves? I've tried calve-specific exercises a few times before for a while, but they never seem to grow. Even though I do squats/dead lifts and used to do a lot of running/biking, my calves are always skinnier than the average guy's. I hate it.

This is a tough one, some people I know just can't seem to build their calves, and squats and dead lifts deffinitely do not help much. Two things you could try... I don't know if it's the correct name for the excercise but my sister calls them calve extensions... You grab some weight, stand on a step with your heels hanging off the edge of a step, and just extend your calves so you are up on your tip-toes, and then back down slowly. You can do it with dumbells at your sides or a bar on your shoulders.

Another guy I know was trying to improve his calves for basketball, he was skipping a lot of rope staying on his toes the whole time, and doing sprints the length of a full court, running foward going down, and backards going back, on his toes the whole time.

For me, I don't seem to have that problem. My calves as well as the anterior muscles of my lower leg are pretty big and well defined just from running.

demon said:

Calves suffer the same pitfall that forearms and abs do. They're extremely strong, they work nearly all day long, and they're active in nearly everything you do.

You need ALOT of weight to properly stress your calves into growing.

Think about how many calf raises you can do with your body weight. If you weight 160 lbs, you can do 150 lbs calf raises all day long on foot.

And some people just have tiny ultra dense muscles that you can't do anything about. God damn you genetics!

negitoro7

DSWii60 said:
What exercises are good for building forearms then? I've only ever used the "hand things" for building my forearms.
(heavy) Deadlifts. They're the king of compound exercises.
Want bigger forearms? Deadlifts.
Want bigger traps? Deadlifts.
etc. etc. for glutes, hams, back.

Squats where you strain the hell out of our knees and associated tendons/ligaments by putting your ass all the way to the ground instead of stopping where you should.
No. The knees are most vulnerable if you stop at 90 degrees. ATG squats when done properly are not only safe, but work more muscle as well. Lose the ego (not directed at anyone in particular), drop the weight, and do ATG squats.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Potentially silly question: any problems with consuming caffeinated drinks (teas) before or after working out?

Quadrophenic said:

The next day, I feel pretty sore. The day after is when I'm at my sorest. Then the soreness begins to ease up after the third day.

Upper body seems to react the way your's does. I did arms on Thursday and only yesterday did my biceps and triceps feel sore and tight. Lower body seems to feel soreness almost right away. Which is fine by me because if my legs don't feel like jello when I'm done with a leg day, I get pissed.

Potentially silly question: any problems with consuming caffeinated drinks (teas) before or after working out?

Only if you are in ill health. If you are morbidly obese, have high blood pressure, etc., then its probably not a good idea. Otherwise, you are fine. I used to take an ECA before working out (Ephedrine HCl, Aspirin, Caffeine).

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The Experiment said:
Only if you are in ill health. If you are morbidly obese, have high blood pressure, etc., then its probably not a good idea. Otherwise, you are fine. I used to take an ECA before working out (Ephedrine HCl, Aspirin, Caffeine).
None of that applies, so I'm fine. Thanks.

neptunes

This has probably been asked before, but is it good to do...

more reps with a moderately heavy weight or shorter reps with an even heavier weight?

I'm buying some dumbells soon and I can't decide on which weight to purchase.

I haven't exercised in years, what's are the best exercises to start off with (remember my body isn't used to exercise)? I don't have any equipment so I'd like some advice about what I could do, how often I should do it etc. Bear in mind, all I want to do is to lose weight and keep it off, I don't care about muscle definition.

I was thinking about joining a gym too, but I'm sure I can work out what I can and can't do in there.

Hunter D

Christopher said:
You have to clear your pms. Send it to me.

RyuHayate

I've been lifting 10 lbs. (I know, I know, I'm weak as hell) weights every so often throughout this summer (fifty per arm almost every afternoon) and I've seen some improvement. I'm capable of lifting a lot of heavy objects I previously had a tough time carrying.

I rode one of those stationary bicycles for about thirty minutes straight one day last month. The end result was a head ache that wouldn't let up for two days and intense aching in the mid to lower section of my body. Is this normal?

I'm trying to lose as much weight as possible within the next two weeks (before I start my senior year) and continue to do so throughout the year. I'm currently about 200-205 lbs. and my goal is to get slimmer and reasonably built.

What do you guys recommend I start doing?

neptunes

well according to what you said here...
I've been lifting 10 lbs. (I know, I know, I'm weak as hell) weights every so often throughout this summer (fifty per arm almost every afternoon) and I've seen some improvement. I'm capable of lifting a lot of heavy objects I previously had a tough time carrying.

I think it's time to increase your weights, as your body has become accustomed and is no longer reaching it's max potential with those relatively low weights.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member

Toned muscles won't show up under body fat and he said toned body which requires low body fat % and some muscle. I interpreted his question to mean will swimming help him lose body fat so he looks toned, and I was correct with my answer and link that no, it won't. It will help the muscles thought but the fat won't burn away to show it.

if i'm doing 100 reps at a time with 15 lb hand weights, should i maybe move up to 20 lbs weights? i'm wondering because it doesn't seem to be getting any easier to do more repetitions. it's like i'm stuck in a rut...
btw, wtf... i can't even lift 75 lbs worth of weight... i remember pulling 100 lbs on some sort of resistance machine years ago... maybe i'm just doing it wrong. >_>

Vai

Could someone recommend some exercises?

I don't have the time for anything too serious, I just want to firm up a little to offset being sat in an office all day and being equally inactive in the evenings.

I have dumbbells but no other equipment (no bench, barbell or machines)

I am concentrating on the upper body as I do about an hour of walking during my lunch break at work (I walk quite fast so it's enough to work up a sweat by the end), which I assume is enough to work the legs muscles reasonably well.

So far I have come up with:

[Arms]
Hammer Curls
Dumbbell One Arm Triceps Extension
Dumbbell Wrist Curl
[Shoulder]
Dumbbell Arnold Press
[Abs]
Crunches
Dumbbell Side Bend

Is that sufficient to work those areas well?
I can't find anything for the back (maybe bentover row?) or chest which I could do at home.

DSWii60

I've recently started doing some wrist curls. I do 10 reps for each arm using a dumbell at 16.5kg (36.3 pounds). However for reverse wrist curls I can only do 10 reps at 6.5kg (14.3 pounds). Is it normal to have such a large difference between the two exercises or do I really need to start doing a lot of reverse wrist curls?

APF

DSWii60 said:
I've recently started doing some wrist curls. I do 10 reps for each arm using a dumbell at 16.5kg (36.3 pounds). However for reverse wrist curls I can only do 10 reps at 6.5kg (14.3 pounds). Is it normal to have such a large difference between the two exercises or do I really need to start doing a lot of reverse wrist curls?
What does "normal" really mean? Wrist curls of either variety aren't especially useful (they can be a moderately-useful but totally non-functional adjunct to a lot of other work, or be helpful for actual rehabilitative work, but are pretty crappy in terms of building appreciable strength and/or hypertrophy on their own), but if you wanted to develop strength in that exercise specifically, you should do more work on that movement specifically. "Normal" doesn't really matter, unless we're (again) talking about rehabilitation-type issues...

DSWii60

APF said:
What does "normal" really mean? Wrist curls of either variety aren't especially useful (they can be a moderately-useful but totally non-functional adjunct to a lot of other work, or be helpful for actual rehabilitative work, but are pretty crappy in terms of building appreciable strength and/or hypertrophy on their own), but if you wanted to develop strength in that exercise specifically, you should do more work on that movement specifically. "Normal" doesn't really matter, unless we're (again) talking about rehabilitation-type issues...

Basically I want to build forearm strength and wrist curls were suggested to me in this thread as a way of doing so.

glistenm

Banned
DSWii60 said:

The flexors are usually alot stronger than the extendors(spelling on that one).

DSWii60

APF said:
I haven't read the whole thread, but you want to develop forearm strength for what purpose?

I'm trying to build up strength in all of my upper body and the forearms are a part of that.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
DSWii60 said:
I'm trying to build up strength in all of my upper body and the forearms are a part of that.
you're going to work your forearms incidentally as you target your biceps, back, shoulders and tris. if you're looking to gain added endurance i'd recommend farmers walks. for added strength you can purchase hand grippers like these - http://www.leehayward.com/heavygrips.htm

i've never like wrist curls all that much.

neptunes

sorry for the bump, but I thought this thread was going pretty good.

I've bought some 20lbs dumbbells and have been doing calasthetics whenever I have time.

404Ender said:
Not quite sure, the symptoms began when I woke up the next day. I believe it was from doing dumbbell presses on a decline bench and picking one up and twisting with it the wrong way while I was holding myself up in a half-crunch rather than being flat on the bench. I know, I know, a stupid rookie mistake. It's the first time I've injured myself lifting if indeed that's where it started.

The twisting motion can be a killer with the torque it puts on your back. However, I actually was feeling a lot better about 2 weeks later but I rushed into playing some basketball, grabbed a rebound, came down on my left leg (the side with the symptoms), and heard/felt this pop and crunch in my back and the pain came back. That's when I knew something was definitely wrong.
Wow, I herniated a disc the same way...... I had my surgery back in Janurary and for the past week I've felt rather bad. I'm beginning to be afraid it has herniated again. =/

I was curious if you can do a sit-up? The pressure that puts on my back really makes me insanely nervous and I cannot even force myself to attempt one. I'll always end up pushing myself up with my hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom