• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new «Fable» of Playground Games would be located in the modern age

CyberPanda

Banned
Talking about Xbox has always been synonymous with Fable. And is that the RPG that gave life from the extinct Lionhead has been characterized as a spearhead in the strategy of the brand. For years we have been demanding a new installment, after the closure of the study and the cancellation of Legends , IP fans have felt a bit orphaned in this field and that is why there are voices that have already risen claiming that “already plays” a new delivery.

In the past we were able to give you an old concept art of what was going to be this fourth installment. But this possible Fable was canceled at the Xbox 360 stage to bring Legends to life. Now that the rumors put the development in the hands of Playground Games, everything looks with magnifying glass.

What is known about the supposed Fable of Playground?

Well, we officially know that the studio located at Leamington Spa is working on an open-world RPG. The job offers have been carefully studied to give no clue, although some media with enough authority and trustworthy such as Eurogamer put the development of a new installment of Fable in the hands of Playground.

We also learned that the studio has been signing Lionhead talents related to the old IP that currently seems asleep. Even some old components of the English study gave clues that we are indeed facing a new Fable.

Fable in the modern age

As always in this house we are looking for information wherever we can so that our readers know first hand what they can expect from what is to come. Reviewing several professional profiles of design artists, we have come across these elaborate artworks to hold the position of design artist in Playground Games. They have been uploaded recently, 4 days ago.

After talking with the artist in question, he has confirmed that the information is true. These artworks are not the final concept, they are only tests under the conditions and guidelines set by the artistic direction of the studio to determine if the artist in question is able to represent what they are looking for. This means that both this design and the character that has been built with it, may never see the light, but at least the clues found in it. We are trying to verify more data with third parties.

Concept for the Playground Games RPG.

dt2PWvs.jpg

CwwwejE.jpg

7zmiCMQ.jpg

IP4FIrP.jpg

If you look closely, reference is made to the 16th century. Given that all Fables are inspired by stages lived in England, we could set the time frame of this at some point in the modern age, which is located between the fifteenth and eighteenth centuries. It seems that we are facing a hero or a female character with character.

The evolution of Fable on Xbox One

It certainly makes sense to have chosen this timeline. Fable is a franchise with strong inspirations in difficult political decisions and hectic periods. The modern age had in England, a very convulsive moment between the two churches and the rise of the bourgeois. A perfect climate to transfer the already stirred Albion.

It also involves the incursion of both the Spanish and English empires to colonize the Americas . Something that would give a lot of play if we talk about an open world game, in fact some rumors pointed out that there would be 'new continents' in this Fable.

Be that as it may, we don't know what the final game will be like, just to speculate based on these proofs of concepts that, as I say, may not be representative of the final finish of the RPG in which they work from Playground Games.

Ivory Blood

Cool designs. We got the 17th century RPG fix in Greedfall earlier this year, and if Fable is ready to continue using the similar themes for their setting - by all means, do it.

Pallas

Liking the art direction and setting so far, hope to hear more as we draw closer to project Scarlett launch.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I remember posting this.
Was browsing through the ArtStation profile of Vaigintas Pakenis (Concept Artist at Playground Games) and I found this
Title : Good Deeds
vaigintas-pakenis-good-deeds.jpg

I also found more stuffs
Title : Town
vaigintas-pakenis-village-1800.jpg

This reminds me a lot of Oakville.
Title : Summit
vaigintas-pakenis-summit.jpg

vaigintas-pakenis-summit-wips.jpg
But if it is 16th century, is it really Fable ? The project name has been blurred out.

Last edited:
Hopefully they stick with this artwork. The artwork reminds me of the Uncharted Waters RPG classics, by Koei.

Uncharted-Waters.jpg

uw2nh_5382.jpg

The Koei artwork is vastly superior. The females actually look like females in those covers, unlike in the new Fable concept art (which actually made me laugh when I saw it).

Last edited:
Damnit microsoft. Just do the classic Fable experience please. I want to give you money so badly for a well written Fable experience with your unique progression system. Make the world bigger, more choices, etc. This is a lay up!

Edit: Wait! The images themselves aren't a modern age. The concept art itself is fire and unique and not modern at all. The hells up with labelling it as modern age Fable? I dig and will keep my kneejerk reaction as proof of my turnaround on seeing the concept art. I am now in the column of cautiously optimistic.

Mood board is interesting to see they are drawing from Assassin's Creed. Playground Games, I dig this! Keep going. Don't shit the bed as overly cynnical, cash grab GaaS

Last edited:

Alx

That would be going back in time actually, wasn't Fable 3 reaching the edge of the industrial revolution ? (or at least what it would be in fictional Albion)

Pallas

Damnit microsoft. Just do the classic Fable experience please. I want to give you money so badly for a well written Fable experience with your unique progression system. Make the world bigger, more choices, etc. This is a lay up!

Edit: Wait! The images themselves aren't a modern age. The concept art itself is fire and unique and not modern at all. The hells up with labelling it as modern age Fable? I dig and will keep my kneejerk reaction as proof of my turnaround on seeing the concept art. I am now in the column of cautiously optimistic.

Mood board is interesting to see they are drawing from Assassin's Creed. Playground Games, I dig this! Keep going. Don't shit the bed as overly cynnical, cash grab GaaS

Title is a bit misleading, it seems to be taking inspirations from 16th century England.

EDIT: Maybe CyberPanda CyberPanda intentionally picked that title so we know who actually read the article and didn’t jump to conclusions, if so, clever. 😂😂

Last edited:

JLB

Banned

Modern age = 16th century, just in case.

Title is a bit misleading, it seems to be taking inspirations from 16th century England.

EDIT: Maybe CyberPanda CyberPanda intentionally picked that title so we know who actually read the article and didn’t jump to conclusions, if so, clever. 😂😂

lol they won this round. I kept up my original though. It's misleading and def a technicality in terms if not one hell of a stretch.

With that said 16th/ 17th ish century cold be a very good pick. Cautiously optimistic now.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

I'm actually liking the look of this. The 16th century stylings are a nice new twist to the fantasy rpg genre. Greedfall was one approach that worked for me. Am curious how Fable will handle it.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
My favorite Fable setting was the original game, but anything will do as long as there's swords and magic.

Did anybody download the Fable test for Xbox one? It was.... actually really nice. Shame that will never appear.

I did. I was fuming when it got cancelled and Lionhead shut down. I had bee playing the beta for months by that time. It wasn't incredible, and it needed more levels and content (what was the point of the town outside of eyecandy, really?), but it got steadily better and it was just getting really fun when it got canned.

And my god it was gorgeous. It was all the best bits of Fable wrapped into one beautiful package.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Im all for a new Fable but I want it to keep art style/setting. It just won't feel like Fable without it imo.

Fable Legends was boring af imo but it was a gorgeous looking game, its too bad we didn't get Fable 4 instead.

Lionhead was definitely on to something with the 4 v 1 mp tho. That capcom game is pretty much what they were doing with Legends although im not a fan of it at all.

Flintty

All sounding good. I too was initially worried with ‘modern age’ but it sounds like it’s nit going to be set in modern Hammersmith, thankfully!

I like the idea of discovering/colonising America though it would be interesting to see how that plays out with SJWs!

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Someone on the other site did some analysis on the blurred project name
Ok, I took a quick look at the redacted text in the concept art.

Here are a few observations, which may or may not help us solve the puzzle.

1. The text is blurred using a Gaussian blur, which blends all colors and stretches them out,

2. The font size, taking the blur into account, seems to be about 10pt.

3. The character seems to have 7 characters in her name.

4. The game name is about 18? characters.

5. The way the text is stretched out in the character's name seems to imply a J? for the first letter and an uppercase L? for the last.

6. The game name does not stretch out. This implies a simple start and end letter within the confines of the space. For example, the first letter might be an F and the last a d? Fable IV

Wish I could find those unpixellated folks who broke that first Game Pass puzzle.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Love Fable. Spent many hours on the old 360 immersed in these masterpieces. Recently, was able to get Fable 3 running on PC. If anyone is interested, all you have to do is buy the game from Amazon and type in the digital code into Steam, then Steam will download the game. It has gamepad support and looks beautiful in higher resolution(s). Although the multiplayer/online connectivity aspect doesn't seem to work, you'll still receive the in game "gifts" from Lionhead, etc. at your abode

Procure game thusly:
Well kick my chicken with a boot, it's Fable III. Welcome home old friend

How to run the game most righteously:
Fable III on Steam? Hook it to my brain

*note: In reading some of the reviews of Amazon, you may or may not need to download/install the GFWL work-around. Just type in the code from Amazon into Steam and go from there

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
This thread, people not knowing what Modern Age is. Back to school the lot of you.

nikolino840

Update:
The artist has emailed IGN to clarify that the images are not from any official project, and were tests made for a position. They also clarified that they are not a Playground Games employee, nor affiliated with any project the studio might be working on.

We have since removed the images at the artist's request. Originally, the test concepts appeared to be for a character that might fit in a Fable game. The notes on the character design specifically state that they're inspired by the actor Anne Hathaway and that they wield some kind of bladed weapon.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Horrible thread title...well horrible article really, but I'm hyped for a PG RPG. Still hope it's not Fable. If it is, I hope it is a complete reimagining.

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
Update:
The artist has emailed IGN to clarify that the images are not from any official project, and were tests made for a position. They also clarified that they are not a Playground Games employee, nor affiliated with any project the studio might be working on.

We have since removed the images at the artist's request. Originally, the test concepts appeared to be for a character that might fit in a Fable game. The notes on the character design specifically state that they're inspired by the actor Anne Hathaway and that they wield some kind of bladed weapon.

😨

Top Bottom