• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

besada

Banned
I need more *ACTIVE* Yucata games. Is anyone *ACTIVE* on Yucata? I have 20 games going, but mostly only take turns in 4-5 games/day. I'll play/teach anything.

I'm up for an invite. I won't leave you hanging, but I've never played most of the games on there, so you'll likely trounce me. Same name there as here.

I'm interested in trying A Few Acres of Snow.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/750101/mall-of-horrors-sequel-city-of-horror-in-asmodees
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/738987/mall-of-horror-2-release

Actually not so much a reprint as a new game with the same mechanics.

I'll take it either way, I've been dying to play MoH.

It's a good game. Honestly, Intrigue feels pretty similar to MoH, but can be had for about 90 dollars less. MoH is a better game... but not 90 dollars better.

MoH has strong mechanics in that strategy really is key and there are a lot of ways to do well even if people don't like you. And if you are in a powerful enough position you can really strong arm your way to a win. And being popular will not be enough to net you the win if you keep winding up in bad situations you can be elimited rather easily even with popular support amongst players.

That said, strategy only gets you so far and the 3 plays of it that I have had (only 1 on my copy) have come down to two players and the winner was the one who had the most friends sitting at the table with them and/or least number of people who wanted to see them lose for factors external to the game itself. Which I guess is fun and all.. but meh.. eliminated players shouldn't break tie votes. I know it keeps people "in the game" but it really hampers the end game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm up for an invite. I won't leave you hanging, but I've never played most of the games on there, so you'll likely trounce me. Same name there as here.

I'm interested in trying A Few Acres of Snow.

Cool -- sent you an inv. If there are any games you want to try out feel free to inv me back. Don't want to bombard you. :p

mannerbot

I need more *ACTIVE* Yucata games. Is anyone *ACTIVE* on Yucata? I have 20 games going, but mostly only take turns in 4-5 games/day. I'll play/teach anything.

Hm, out of the games on Yucata I'd only know how to play Carcassonne and Othello but I'm interested in learning a few of them and I'd try to be active on a daily basis. My name on there's Eyedrinker.

Mashing

Anyone played Fortune and Glory? I love adventure games and that one just looks completely awesome. How does it play? (I'm aware that's a really long game, but that doesn't bother me).

Flynn

Would love to get some peppy games of Agricola going on Boiteajeux too. I'm Triphibian there as well as on Yucata. I love playing A Few Acres of Snow, but Astrolad keeps bateuing me up the butt.

Anyone played Fortune and Glory? I love adventure games and that one just looks completely awesome. How does it play? (I'm aware that's a really long game, but that doesn't bother me).

Enjoy it, has lot of pulp flavor to it. If you played Flying Frogs other games like LNOE and such then you know what to expect with the game system. Game has competitive, coop, team, and solo play. The competitive mode, actually plays real fast, with four players we do it under 2 hours sometimes. Coop and team games take probably double the time to play though as game can really get dragged on.

Game is incredibly large, the amount of card decks involved is crazy and you need big space to fit it all. Set up can take a while so its a game you want to have set up before everyone shows up. Teaching it is pretty quick as it's quite a simple game though. Basically you have a series of four artifacts that you create by mixing 2 cards together like "The Skull" and "of Hades". The two cards combine and create a uniquely named adventure and artifact which you then pull a card to determine where it is spawned on the map. You spawn four on the map and players basically race around the globe trying to grab the artifacts (new ones spawn after one is captured). You then have to take back any retrieved artifacts to a safe place to sell and the player who accumulated enough fortune wins the game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'd play Gric on BAJ. Have several stuck games there too :p

Any good new games come out? See that Nexus Ops got a reprint, been a bunch of other stuff too the past month or so but nothing seems to have registered very strongly.

i'm just waiting on the blood bowl team manager expansion....

I'd play Gric on BAJ. Have several stuck games there too :p

Any good new games come out? See that Nexus Ops got a reprint, been a bunch of other stuff too the past month or so but nothing seems to have registered very strongly.

i'm just waiting on the blood bowl team manager expansion....

My friend got me Lancaster as a belated Christmas gift. I just punched it today and I'm really impressed with component quality. I haven't read the rules yet but it did get nominated for the Kennerspiel.

My order from CSI showed up today. Ora et Labora, Agricola the Goodies Expansion, and Citadels. I read up on Ora's component issues but I bought it anyway. People have been making a big deal about the player boards but they are nowhere near as bad as people make them out to be. The chits on the other hand, woof, be careful when you punch them out. One sheet was such a pain I had to use a knife to make cuts. The other sheets were better but not by much.

just finished a 2 player game of Elder Sign with my fiance. we both really like it; again it's the thrill of the dice that get's us both. We faced Ithaqua this time and sealed him off. His Doom Track was at 3/9 so no problem. I see where BGG members say that the game is too easy and so far, I'd agree. I only faced 2 of the Great Old Ones so we'll see how the others go. The Promo God they released is truly horrific, though...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/...am-nights-2011-promotional-ancient?size=large

Mashing

Play it in what I call "hard mode", draw a mythos card everytime the clock moves up (after a round, not as part of another event). It's still winnable, but much harder.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Taught my wife A Few Acres of Snow last week and we finally got to actually play a game night. Like most people, she's totally into it after about 10 hands or so when you really start to see the strategy and tactical opportunities.

Much as I love AFAOS, I'm not so much interested in the game itself as I am in what kinds of games it would lead to because even though it's "just" Dominion + wargame the core mechanics really are brilliant.

Play it in what I call "hard mode", draw a mythos card everytime the clock moves up (after a round, not as part of another event). It's still winnable, but much harder.

I like that. Maybe I'll try 12 and 6 at first, just to see what I'm getting into. Do you do At Midnight events at just 12 still?

Damn, finally opened up my copy of LOTR LCG core set thats been sitting in the closet for a while, and it seems I'm missing a whole token sheet with the dials for the threat trackers on it. Got two sheets instead of the same token sheet which is obviously wrong. Hopefully FFG CS can fix this for me, never had to try and get game parts from them.

XShagrath

Damn, finally opened up my copy of LOTR LCG core set thats been sitting in the closet for a while, and it seems I'm missing a whole token sheet with the dials for the threat trackers on it. Got two sheets instead of the same token sheet which is obviously wrong. Hopefully FFG CS can fix this for me, never had to try and get game parts from them.
I've purchased three core sets, so I've got extra threat trackers if FFG doesn't come through for you.

You can always use the ones from Blood Bowl: Team Manager in the intermin, or a couple 10-sided dice.

fenners

FFG's support is fantastic. They'll sort you out.

eznark

Banned
Finally played a game of Blood Bowl: Team Manager. Fucking. Awesome. It's a fantastic, simple, fast and great game. After Innovation fell super flat, my wife was a bit hesitant to try new games. She kind of scoffed at the art in this game at first (she now seemed to like it) but gave it a shot anyway...probably to get me out of my SWTOR trance.

Anyway, it's a great game. Best part is the ease of entry. Neither of us had played it but it took literally no time to figure out. I picked it up for like $17 on amazon and it's one of the more high quality games I've purchased. The art is awesome (I think), the cardboard pieces are thick and well done, the scoreboards are incredibly sturdy...just a great product.

I think after a number of games it might get a little stale as the variation is mostly in team selection and match-ups, but that's a ways down the road. It's so good that I put off purchasing the two new games I had in my amazon cart (black gold and !st & Goal) so that we could focus on this.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Finally played a game of Blood Bowl: Team Manager. Fucking. Awesome. It's a fantastic, simple, fast and great game. After Innovation fell super flat, my wife was a bit hesitant to try new games. She kind of scoffed at the art in this game at first (she now seemed to like it) but gave it a shot anyway...probably to get me out of my SWTOR trance.

Anyway, it's a great game. Best part is the ease of entry. Neither of us had played it but it took literally no time to figure out. I picked it up for like $17 on amazon and it's one of the more high quality games I've purchased. The art is awesome (I think), the cardboard pieces are thick and well done, the scoreboards are incredibly sturdy...just a great product.

I think after a number of games it might get a little stale as the variation is mostly in team selection and match-ups, but that's a ways down the road. It's so good that I put off purchasing the two new games I had in my amazon cart (black gold and !st & Goal) so that we could focus on this.
SCORE!

Honestly I've played about 10 games and it hasn't felt stale at all to me. Quite the contrary, I'm still seeing new star players, new upgrades, etc. so I feel like I'm just now getting a real feel for it. I've played with 2, 3, 4 players pretty evenly though so that definitely helps with the variety. The 3-4p games are a lot different from the 2p (not better, just different). The theming in the game is really great. Even though it's nerdy it's super-lighthearted and everyone I've played with regardless of nerdiness always finds some goofy thing to laugh at.

Buuuut just in case you're worried FFG has all but confirmed that there will be an expansion with new teams and other stuff. Knowing FFG I'm sure it will be out in the next few months too.

Bought Mr Jack Pocket. A really cool game to carry with you everywhere. Really enjoyable 2 person game!

mrjackpocket_03.jpg

eznark

Banned
SCORE!

Honestly I've played about 10 games and it hasn't felt stale at all to me. Quite the contrary, I'm still seeing new star players, new upgrades, etc. so I feel like I'm just now getting a real feel for it. I've played with 2, 3, 4 players pretty evenly though so that definitely helps with the variety. The 3-4p games are a lot different from the 2p (not better, just different). The theming in the game is really great. Even though it's nerdy it's super-lighthearted and everyone I've played with regardless of nerdiness always finds some goofy thing to laugh at.

Buuuut just in case you're worried FFG has all but confirmed that there will be an expansion with new teams and other stuff. Knowing FFG I'm sure it will be out in the next few months too.

Yeah, I'm not worried. Like I said, it was $17! I would have paid that just for the one experience. You know I generally only get to play anything with my wife, so I was thinking it might get stale as a two player game more than anything. I can't wait to play it with more people.

I also wish more publishers put out youtube videos like FFG did for this game. 6 youtube videos, split into under 2 minutes apiece, and I was ready to teach and play the game and we had no hiccups. So good.

(did you grab the Dominion ios game?)

Hopefully with Dwarves that don't suck. Yeah. I said it.

My wife had the Chaos All-Stars...they kind of seemed to suck. She got hosed on a few ejections.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hopefully with Dwarves that don't suck. Yeah. I said it.

Interestingly Dwarves tend to do pretty well in our 3-4p games -- in part b/c they rarely get targeted but also b/c they're pretty passive and defensive so they never rile people up by making tackles. There's definitely a psychological element to the 3-4 where if you're orcs or another tackling team you start to piss people off and become a target pretty fast whereas elves it's a lot easier to just sort of mind your own business and sneak out with a W.

-Dark elves are supposed to be one team I think.
-I do hope they clarify the Guard rule and functionality though, at least enough to make that Dwarf upgrade (one sprint per use of guard) useful and to buff them team up a tad.

My wife had the Chaos All-Stars...they kind of seemed to suck. She got hosed on a few ejections.
Probably my favorite team to play as. I really love pushing my luck though (and also complaining about getting screwed by whistles. :p). There's a headline card that gives you two tokens for every one cheat icon -- and I was chaos in a game where that came up. yeaaah. You get screwed at times but also you can sometimes sneak out ridiculous wins and everyone's kind of scared of you b/c they don't know what your tokens are hiding (until you get like 4-5 on one guy and they're pretty confident you're going to get ejected).

Bought Mr Jack Pocket. A really cool game to carry with you everywhere. Really enjoyable 2 person game!
One of our first 2P games. Loved it for quite a while, but then the analysis paralysis really got to us because the pressure and benefit from minmaxing is intense.

Interestingly Dwarves tend to do pretty well in our 3-4p games -- in part b/c they rarely get targeted but also b/c they're pretty passive and defensive so they never rile people up by making tackles. There's definitely a psychological element to the 3-4 where if you're orcs or another tackling team you start to piss people off and become a target pretty fast whereas elves it's a lot easier to just sort of mind your own business and sneak out with a W.

I've been playing this with some friends regularly for about a month now (got in on the same $17 deal EZ did) and have had a blast. I usually play in a 3 player game scenario. Whenever someone picks the elves, its fucking on, though. I make it my goal to destroy them because they are so consistent with snagging the balls from the headlines, it makes things frustrating in close games.

And the Chaos are my favorite too ;-) I have never lost with them. Loading a layer up with cheat tokens is so great

eznark

Banned

-Dark elves are supposed to be one team I think.
-I do hope they clarify the Guard rule and functionality though, at least enough to make that Dwarf upgrade (one sprint per use of guard) useful and to buff them team up a tad.

Probably my favorite team to play as. I really love pushing my luck though (and also complaining about getting screwed by whistles. :p). There's a headline card that gives you two tokens for every one cheat icon -- and I was chaos in a game where that came up. yeaaah. You get screwed at times but also you can sometimes sneak out ridiculous wins and everyone's kind of scared of you b/c they don't know what your tokens are hiding (until you get like 4-5 on one guy and they're pretty confident you're going to get ejected).

One of our first 2P games. Loved it for quite a while, but then the analysis paralysis really got to us because the pressure and benefit from minmaxing is intense.

Yeah, that was one of the more disappointing things. In a 2 player game, the headlines are taken out so you just play tournaments. I think we might add those in and extend the season the next time we play.

Interesting. Chaos seem to be pretty beastly in games I've played. The humans usually tear ass the most though.

I was the human. I destroyed her. So much passing!

I've been playing this with some friends regularly for about a month now (got in on the same $17 deal EZ did) and have had a blast. I usually play in a 3 player game scenario. Whenever someone picks the elves, its fucking on, though. I make it my goal to destroy them because they are so consistent with snagging the balls from the headlines, it makes things frustrating in close games.

And the Chaos are my favorite too ;-) I have never lost with them. Loading a layer up with cheat tokens is so great

when you capitalize the first two letters it makes me feel like a narc officer.

I'm guessing every faction is balanced (I was so proud of my wife when she said verbatim "are the teams balanced") to some level, she just got unlucky.

Merino

Yeah, that was one of the more disappointing things. In a 2 player game, the headlines are taken out so you just play tournaments. I think we might add those in and extend the season the next time we play.
This is exactly what we are planning to do. 4 Weeks just seems to short to really build up your team the right way. Especially if drafting free booters the chance that you can actually use them with 4 weeks of playing is rather small. Yesterday was playing the dwarfs with 4 star players yet didn't draw any of them in the last round which really made me wish the game would have lasted a few rounds longer.

Game is slowly turning into one of our favorite games though. I'm just in love with the theme, the randomness, and tactical nature of play.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Yeah, I just played BBTM with my girlfriend last night and also didn't like the rule of removing headlines and shortening the season. I probably won't do that next time.

MichaelBD

Yeah, I just played BBTM with my girlfriend last night and also didn't like the rule of removing headlines and shortening the season. I probably won't do that next time.
I completely missed the 2 player rules in the rulebook. In the 2p games I've played I've set up the game the same as if there were 3 or 4 players. Doh.

After reading them, I do like the idea of pulling 4 match cards and discarding two.

MichaelBD

While waiting for Mage Knight to be reprinted I'm thinking of picking up the new FFG release of Nexus Ops. Anyone have any thoughts?

I like FFG's Dust, which is a Risk-alternative and from the reviews I've read on BGG NO seems like another Risk-alternative.

I don't know if I have a favorite team. One team I really dig, though, is the Skaven. It's really easy to cycle through your deck and grab those key star players. It also means that getting through your deck just enough to trigger a reshuffle in between rounds make them really strong. They also have passers with the dodge ability so they are a little bit tougher to tackle.

Xater

Today I ordered the Stone Age expansion. Will probably give it a try on Saturday. It doesn't seem to change much but I can see how it can make games more interesting. The option to play now with 5 players is also very welcome.

GTI Guy

Anyone play Letters From Whitechapel?

The game looks cool and I think I'd like it but it is oop and I'm not sure it's worth the price.

Anyone play Letters From Whitechapel?

The game looks cool and I think I'd like it but it is oop and I'm not sure it's worth the price.

Go for Fury of Dracula instead. Same basic concept, a better game, and it's still in print. Fury is not perfect by any means but Letters from Whitechapel is just not a good game.

Finally played a game of Blood Bowl: Team Manager. Fucking. Awesome. It's a fantastic, simple, fast and great game.

My friends and I have been playing this for the past few months. We're addicted. This was my first card game - and I went into it thinking I wouldn't like card games (I like lots of fancy dice and miniatures and tokens yadda yadda...), and now after this I'm eager to try more card games.

Looooooove Team Manager.

We did try Space Hulk: Deathangel a month ago, and it was only a'ight.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Played my first game of Star Trek Fleet Captains this weekend. Really fun.

However, we were a bit confused about the rules, in particular the usage of combat cards during combat. Can you play as many combat cards as you want when doing ship to ship melees?

Also, can you play as many cards as you want during your turn, and you always draw a new card right after playing one? And if you play a card that puts an event in your hand (like getting the tribble event), does that card count against your 4 card limit?

Played my first game of Star Trek Fleet Captains this weekend. Really fun.

However, we were a bit confused about the rules, in particular the usage of combat cards during combat. Can you play as many combat cards as you want when doing ship to ship melees?

Also, can you play as many cards as you want during your turn, and you always draw a new card right after playing one? And if you play a card that puts an event in your hand (like getting the tribble event), does that card count against your 4 card limit?

Been a while, but pretty sure for combat just like most actions, you only get to play one card. Opponent can play one. If you don't play one but opponent does, you can play one as a response. But still only one card per player involved in the combat. You also always draw a replacement card after you play your one card that your allowed.

Any cards in your hand count against hand limit.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Been a while, but pretty sure for combat just like most actions, you only get to play one card. Opponent can play one. If you don't play one but opponent does, you can play one as a response. But still only one card per player involved in the combat. You also always draw a replacement card after you play your one card that your allowed.

Any cards in your hand count against hand limit.

That makes sense... however, for non-combat cards like ops or crew, it seems like you don't use an action to play them and can play as many as you want at any time during your turn according to the rules.

Is that true?

StoOgE

So, Kingdom Builder is pretty swanky.

Played it twice on Friday. and Troyes again.

Still not 100% on my feelings on Troyes. I need to play it more than every 6 months probably to really figure out what I think.. but I think it's overly convoluted and find the symbols on the action cards to simplify basically nothing.

But Kingdom Builder has that right blend of insanely simple and strategic that I like. I swear, more games need randomizers that totally change the way you play.

That makes sense... however, for non-combat cards like ops or crew, it seems like you don't use an action to play them and can play as many as you want at any time during your turn according to the rules.

Is that true?

I haven't played in a while, but most times you play cards is only when it's your turn and when you interact with anything with a test of some kind I believe. Rules went over it fairly well from what I remember at the time. Having crew in play on a ship also lets you basically use two character abilities or something like that.

The game has a faq on the site that is pretty big too, though it's filled with alot of silly questions last time I looked at it, but it might help even though its ridiculous in size.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So, Kingdom Builder is pretty swanky.

Played it twice on Friday. and Troyes again.

Still not 100% on my feelings on Troyes. I need to play it more than every 6 months probably to really figure out what I think.. but I think it's overly convoluted and find the symbols on the action cards to simplify basically nothing.

But Kingdom Builder has that right blend of insanely simple and strategic that I like. I swear, more games need randomizers that totally change the way you play.

I like KB. The theme is a tad dry but no big deal -- love how quickly it plays though. For some reason it's a bit of a whipping boy on BGG though. Guess people expected another Dominion.

StoOgE

I like KB. The theme is a tad dry but no big deal -- love how quickly it plays though. For some reason it's a bit of a whipping boy on BGG though. Guess people expected another Dominion.

Really? I think it is essentially through the desert minus the hard to see pastel camels, plus variable scoring.

I know there is an issue with starting cards determining a bit too much, so we played a variant where you draw two cards (A and B) and decide to play one (lets say you play A for our example). On your next turn, you draw another card (C) and play either the card you didn't use on turn 1 (B) or the new card (C) and discard the other. Then play continues normally.

This seemed to largely mitigate the issue. That said, I guess you can always have the "I never got that card I needed" problem.

I dunno, I liked it. It's not the next dominion, but then again, none of the dominion clones are the next dominion either, and this is trying to scratch a completely different itch.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Really? I think it is essentially through the desert minus the hard to see pastel camels, plus variable scoring.

Right, exactly. :p (w/r/t to theming point at least)

Hey I dig the game. Need to remember to bust it out with casuals more though.

Pepboy

Oh, I missed that rule entirely. Having played 2P with headlines, I think it handles fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom