• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
that's weird. it's just a pic i uploaded to tinypic. oh well i'll just delete it for now and take care of it later

Suairyu

Banned
Oh, Arkham Horror sounds like the kind of thing myself and a few of my friends might enjoy regularly. Shall have to work with your game progression system to see if my friends would go for board game play first, especially considering AH's price and complexity.

I loved the XBLA version, so I might grab Catan first. Which game would be a good 'middle-step' to prepare for AH's playstyle if I can find interested people?

EDIT - Heads up, AstroLad; the links to the Carcassone expansion packs appear as broken to me. Also, RoboRally links to San Juan.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
According to the site, Arkham Horror is being reprinted now and they're currently waiting to get it back from the printer. Was hoping to pick it up last week (Had a 20% coupon for my FLGS burning in my pocket) but all they had were the expansions.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Thanks, (hopefully) fixed those issues and a few other linking issues as well.

I also added a section for podcasts. Right now contains just The Dice Tower, which imo is a quite solid (and quite professionally done) podcast for news, assorted reviews, and also top 10s. Particularly relevant because just last week they did their "Dice Tower Awards" for 2009. Other episodes include Top 10: Games to Play in Less Than an Hour; Auction Games; and Gateway Games, and just about every other Top 10 you could conceive of in their archive.

Which game would be a good 'middle-step' to prepare for AH's playstyle if I can find interested people?

That's a tough one; depends on their level of experience I suppose. If it's minimal, maybe try out an introductory co-op game like Pandemic or Forbidden Island? Useful because of the co-op nature, but also because the players in those games each have special abilities they have to leverage just like in AH. AH is weird in that if you become a master of the rules, and confident in handling various situations (and also keeping tabs on the many things you have to keep tabs on in-game) I don't feel that it's that hard to teach. My recommendation is to read the rules through, print out a quick Phase Guide from BGG, play a solo game with two characters, then go back to the BGG rules forum and just browse through some topics (I think their might even be one like "the ways people play AH wrong" -- I know there's one for Pandemic like that), then go back and play a second solo game, then you should start being in good shape.

Suairyu

Banned
All of us would be inexperienced with 'modern' (wikipedia presents the term 'German-style', if you're looking for a new term) boardgames, bar the hours I poured into XBLA Catan back when you could still find a game online. Taking a look at Pandemic, that seems fun, so I'll probably use that to bridge the gap in complexity and play style.

Hm, taking a look at Carcassonne now. Also looks like a fun entry game and runs about £10 cheaper than Catan. Choices, choices.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Introducing two of my friends to Catan and Pandemic went better than expected. They are probably my least "nerdy" friends, but both games were a hit. After playing both, the dude in the couple suggested Catchphrase (which they own) and his fiance quickly shut him down and said, "I'd rather just play one of these weird ones again.":lol
AstroLad said:
Added the co-op section and some other new stuff to the OP (updates will be spelled out in first line as now).

Glad people are enjoying the thread!
Nice! I need to try a few of those!

Brashnir

Suairyu said:
Oh, Arkham Horror sounds like the kind of thing myself and a few of my friends might enjoy regularly. Shall have to work with your game progression system to see if my friends would go for board game play first, especially considering AH's price and complexity.

I don't think there's really a "progression," so much as a guide for simpler games good for getting people into playing who might nor be into complexity.

If your friends are into the theme of Arkham Horror and they (or at least you) are willing to learn the complex rules, I don't think it would be necessary to introduce a different game as a means to step up toward Arkham.

At the end of the day, learning a moderately-complicated game and then transitioning to a complicated game is still more work than just learning the complicated game to begin with. The nice thing about Arkham is that it's fully playable solo, so you can play a few games by yourself before trying to teach it to new people.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Brashnir said:
At the end of the day, learning a moderately-complicated game and then transitioning to a complicated game is still more work than just learning the complicated game to begin with. The nice thing about Arkham is that it's fully playable solo, so you can play a few games by yourself before trying to teach it to new people.
Generally I think that might be true, but I learned my lesson with Race for the Galaxy one too many times. ALWAYS TEACH SAN JUAN FIRST

Brashnir

AstroLad said:
Generally I think that might be true, but I learned my lesson with Race for the Galaxy one too many times. ALWAYS TEACH SAN JUAN FIRST

Perhaps I'm just spoiled because my group is mostly old-school PnP RPG gamers, so they're generally OK with learning complicated games.

Still, I think AH is different from RFTG in this sense, since only one person really needs to know the whole game to play Arkham Horror. Everyone else can pretty much just concentrate on their character and do just fine.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Exactly, all you need is one good rules master and you can get going really quickly even with new players (which you'll want to do since the games are long!).

I'm taking a multiplayer game design class through the telecommunications department at school.

Basically, we play board games all class. :D

Our "textbooks" are:

Dominion
Settlers of Catan
Pandemic
Pathfinder RPG

I'd heard of the first three (and see that they're well recognized here), but does anyone have experience with Pathfinder? Seems the most D&D-like of the four.

Really looking forward to the first game day, which is Dominion.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I'm still thinking of getting Arkham Horror.

I've sworn off of more complicated games simply because they never go over well, but the solo possibilities are nice.

I'm actually having a game night this week. I think Pandemic and Small World are both on the table. This is a group that usually only plays Catan because they love it and don't like to venture out into anything else.

I'm going to force it onto them.

StoOgE

Suairyu said:
All of us would be inexperienced with 'modern' (wikipedia presents the term 'German-style', if you're looking for a new term) boardgames, bar the hours I poured into XBLA Catan back when you could still find a game online. Taking a look at Pandemic, that seems fun, so I'll probably use that to bridge the gap in complexity and play style.

Hm, taking a look at Carcassonne now. Also looks like a fun entry game and runs about £10 cheaper than Catan. Choices, choices.

Carcassonne is a really fun little entry level game. It is also on XBLA if you want to check it out that way first.

I think it and Catan sort of share the title for most popular entry level games.. though I think Catan is better as a long term game to keep people excited. Most of my friends who play board games with me get tired of Carca pretty quickly. Though the nice thing is the games are *really* short so you can get a lot in.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just added a "solo" free games section to the OP: There's a good Race for the Galaxy AI program to play if you want to check that game out: http://www.keldon.net/rftg/ Has all the pretty card art too. As always, rules can be found on www.riograndegames.com

StoOgE said:
I'm actually having a game night this week. I think Pandemic and Small World are both on the table. This is a group that usually only plays Catan because they love it and don't like to venture out into anything else.
Do it. I can still play Catan but it's not something I get too excited for. It's a fantastic gateway game, but among all the gateways listed, it's probably the one that wears the fastest on me. Then again I remember at PAX East there were like 100 people playing a Catan tournament so your friends certainly aren't the exception.

StoOgE

AstroLad said:
JuDo it. I can still play Catan but it's not something I get too excited for. It's a fantastic gateway game, but among all the gateways listed, it's probably the one that wears the fastest on me. Then again I remember at PAX East there were like 100 people playing a Catan tournament so your friends certainly aren't the exception.

I don't ever really get tired of Catan. I'll pretty much always be up for a game, but it isn't my favorite game ever either. I also have never lost a game of it with this group of friends, so at this point it's become a "let's all help the 2nd place player beat StoOgE" affair. It still doesn't work which really pisses them off. :lol

I think Small World and Pandemic both allow for a lot of table talking and strategy which seems to be what they like most about them. A lot of my favorite games are essentially multiplayer solitaire (RFTG, Puerto Rico) and they wouldn't work for this group at all.

I also think I might sell my copy of Memoir 44 if anyone is interested in it. It isn't a bad game at all, it just really isn't my cup of tea. I like more balanced games with minimal luck. I find the whole C&C system to be too luck based and the maps lend themselves to one player being the underdog.

Suairyu

Banned
Brashnir said:
I don't think there's really a "progression," so much as a guide for simpler games good for getting people into playing who might nor be into complexity.
It's not so much a complexity thing (though that is a factor), but also that none of my friends or even myself have regularly played boardgames or pnp roleplaying games before. I guess the progression would be more one of involvement and style of play - Carcassone and Catan, whilst downplaying the luck element in favour of strategy, seem closest to the 'classic' boardgames that near enough everyone universally understands.

It's really more about seeing if I can round up some friends into regular boardgaming first - then using a cooperative 'middle-step' like Pandemic to see if that sort of game suits their fancies - before I drop a larger sum of money on Arkham Horror, which right now seems to be going for more than £40 on Amazon.

EDIT - When I could still find games of Catan on XBLA, I never tired of it. Even now I occasionally fire up an AI match when I want to fill a twenty minute break - virtual opponents make for a very brisk game pace.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I also think I might sell my copy of Memoir 44 if anyone is interested in it. It isn't a bad game at all, it just really isn't my cup of tea. I like more balanced games with minimal luck. I find the whole C&C system to be too luck based and the maps lend themselves to one player being the underdog.
Yep if anyone is looking for a super-light wargame, easily a wargame you can play with a wife or non-gamer friend, this is a great one imo. Play it a couple times a month with my wife. Didn't include it in the original Games for Couples list though just because of the theme.

StoOgE

Suairyu said:
It's really more about seeing if I can round up some friends into regular boardgaming first - then using a cooperative 'middle-step' like Pandemic to see if that sort of game suits their fancies - before I drop a larger sum of money on Arkham Horror, which right now seems to be going for more than £40 on Amazon.

That's what I did at first as well. I bought Catan and Carcassonne and was happy with those two games for years. I slowly got a nice group going and then bought Puerto Rico and a few friends were scared away from it's complexity.

I will say, I consider Pandemic to really be in that first tier of gateway games. I think it is about as complex as Catan, but the co-op element makes it very alien to a lot of people who are used to Monopoly.

StoOgE

XiaNaphryz said:
If you're going to put up a co-op section, Fury of Dracula needs to be there. ;P

Look, one fight at a time.

We need to get Power Grid off of the runner-up list first, then you can worry about whatever silly little games you prefer. :p

Suairyu

Banned
Went with Carcassonne in the end due to the reduced cost. Should be with me in a week's time. If this turns into a new regular hobby, I'll love and hate you all in equal measures for introducing me to it.

Don't worry, board gaming is relatively cheap compared to most hobbies, and you get lot of mileage out of a single game usually. Only gets bad if you blindly just go around buying every board game you can find and trying to buy rare out of print stuff constantly.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
StoOgE said:
Look, one fight at a time.

We need to get Power Grid off of the runner-up list first, then you can worry about whatever silly little games you prefer. :p
One of the first things I already mentioned, just adding to the queue. Pay attention! ;)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Somewhat surprised to be seeing good things about Back to the Future: The Card Game, which just came out, on BGG. Interested to see how that turns out.

BattleMonkey said:
Don't worry, board gaming is relatively cheap compared to most hobbies, and you get lot of mileage out of a single game usually. Only gets bad if you blindly just go around buying every board game you can find and trying to buy rare out of print stuff constantly.
Yeah was having this discussion on BGG, where it always degrades to "board games and video games are basically the same!" I just think as a general matter, board games inherently have way more shelf life. Anyone still playing 20-year-old copies of Scrabble can attest to this, but it's true for modern games as well. People play Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, and Catan years after they've "moved on" to other games (if they've chosen to do so). The hobby certainly does lend itself to OMG DAY ONE "flavor of the month" people who can spend in ways similar to avid video-game buyers, but the games themselves are generally far more timeless imo.

Suairyu

Banned
No, I don't think I'll ever treat this as a videogame style hobby. A small amount of tired and testing games on rotation and fuelled by drinks seems the way to go. That said, if I hear positive things I'm definitely going to be tempted by that Civilization game as a companion piece to Civ V's release.

AstroLad said:
Yeah was having this discussion on BGG, where it always degrades to "board games and video games are basically the same!" I just think as a general matter, board games inherently have way more shelf life. Anyone still playing 20-year-old copies of Scrabble can attest to this, but it's true for modern games as well. People play Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, and Catan years after they've "moved on" to other games (if they've chosen to do so). The hobby certainly does lend itself to OMG DAY ONE "flavor of the month" people who can spend in ways similar to avid video-game buyers, but the games themselves are generally far more timeless imo.

If you have a group of buddies into it, often the savings gets spread amongst the players as each person buys different games that we end up playing together anyways.

The one negative of board games is that you often can't try before buying, though rules for most games are found online anyways which makes a decent "preview"

BattleMonkey said:
The one negative of board games is that you often can't try before buying, though rules for most games are found online anyways which makes a decent "preview"
I usually read the rules and seek out video reviews of board games I'm interested. If I get one that's a dud I actually had success trading them online at BGG.

It basically boils down to, peruse BGG before making your purchase. Nine times out of ten I'm happy with my board game purchase and the few duds I do get I trade away on BGG. Besides the trade system and the marketplace I also check their Geekbay section. That's where users will auction off their games. I've gotten a ton of games through their paying a fraction of what they cost new and they are usually in great condition. BGG is just an amazing resource.

StoOgE

BattleMonkey said:

I have to agree.. I've spent about 200 bucks or so on board games and have a solid 15 or so game lineup that gets a good amount of use. You could get a really good collection of 5-6 games for 100 or so dollars that could last you years without getting bored. Carcassonne and Catan are the first two "euro gaming" BG's I bought and they still get regular use, especially Catan.

There are certainly crazy people out there that own 50-100 games, but it just isn't necessary. Even if you play games weekly you can get a good rotation going with 10 games and not get bored with them if they are all solid games.

Just stick to online stores for your purchases, paying MSRP for these things can kill you.

Qaz Kwaz

Banned
Arkham Horror is a lot LESS complicated than I was expecting. Then again, we've been playing LNOE, Touch of Evil, Chaos in the Old World... it's in the league as those. I still think Tide of Iron is way more complex than any of those.

StoOgE

Alright,

just put my copy of Memoir 44 up for trade and someone has already offered Arkham Horror in exchange for it. BGG is awesome! :lol

I need to get on BGG market and such, got bunch of stuff like the World of Warcraft board game and sealed extra copy of Memoir 44 to get rid of. Ebay is not cutting it for board games, keep feeling ripped off for what some stuff sells for if it's not rare.

StoOgE

BattleMonkey said:
I need to get on BGG market and such, got bunch of stuff like the World of Warcraft board game and sealed extra copy of Memoir 44 to get rid of. Ebay is not cutting it for board games, keep feeling ripped off for what some stuff sells for if it's not rare.

WoW board game is the devil. I ebayed that sucker and only got half of what I paid for it back. I didn't know about BGG at the time, probably could have exchanged it for something else big.

So, Gaf, I've got no one to really play games with, but I'm considering trying to get a few people interested. What would be a few good gateway games for 2-6 people? Besides, Catan, which I plan to buy even if I have to play by myself.

StoOgE

crowphoenix said:
So, Gaf, I've got no one to really play games with, but I'm considering trying to get a few people interested. What would be a few good gateway games for 2-6 people? Besides, Catan, which I plan to buy even if I have to play by myself.

Ticket to Ride is always a good game. It is extremely simple, but a lot of fun and a lot of strategy goes into it. It's also not too nerdy of a concept being that everyone understands how trains work.

I think Small World is a good super light wargame that is a lot of fun, but the theme is a bit goofy and could be offputting.

You really can't go wrong with Pandemic, Dominion or Carcassonne either.

Though, it should be noted that the most any of these games go to is 4-5 players. 6 is difficult..

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
StoOgE said:
6 is difficult..
True, unless you start going into party-game country. That's probably the next section that will go into the OP, but check out Time's Up, Wits & Wagers, and Say Anything. RoboRally also plays great with 6 and is more of a "real" game.

Can a 6 year old play castle panic? Gamers with Jobs has been talking it up and it seems fun (board game tower defense) but the ages is 10+ I believe

I should probably just youtube a game of it to see how it works

StoOgE

AstroLad said:
True, unless you start going into party-game country. That's probably the next section that will go into the OP, but check out Time's Up, Wits & Wagers, and Say Anything. RoboRally also plays great with 6 and is more of a "real" game.

I think that would be a good section. That is one of the hardest parts of board game night. I have to invite 6-7 people hoping 4 will actually come. Then you wind up with too many people coming.

Roborally is pretty much the only thing I have going.. or I start up a second game in my living room of something easy while I go to the big kid table to play something harder.

Though I typically hate "party" games. One of my friends always brings over scategories or some junk. Blargh.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
StoOgE said:
I think that would be a good section. That is one of the hardest parts of board game night. I have to invite 6-7 people hoping 4 will actually come. Then you wind up with too many people coming.
I'm going to need it for my own reference :lol. Going to bgg.con with my wife and two friends so we'll have a roving group of four and meeting up with gaffers and just random people I'm sure we'll have a great need for 6+.

Almost forgot to mention Citadels too! (Which we played over the weekend, very fun (non-party) game imo that plays up to 8 and is quite cheap.)

Suairyu

Banned
So my parents just donated a copy of The Lord Of The Rings boardgame they had in a closet. Based off the books, rather than the films. The artwork is gorgeous, all painted by John Howe, with separate boards for Moria, Helm's Deep, Shelob's Lair and Mordor. Probably one of those 'flavour of the month' games.

Anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks, guys. Once I have a bit of change in my pocket, I'll check BGG for those.

The last game I got to play was Key to the Kingdom. Of course, while playing, I realized I played totally wrong when I was a kid.

StoOgE

AstroLad said:
I'm going to need it for my own reference :lol. Going to bgg.con with my wife and two friends so we'll have a roving group of four and meeting up with gaffers and just random people I'm sure we'll have a great need for 6+.

Almost forgot to mention Citadels too! (Which we played over the weekend, very fun (non-party) game imo that plays up to 8 and is quite cheap.)

In Dallas?

I almost went to that this year.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
StoOgE said:
In Dallas?

I almost went to that this year.
Yep yep. I think at least 3-4 other gaffers are going too. My brother-in-law wanted to join us but tickets sold out like three months ago and there's a big waiting list now. We just bought out plane tickets this weekend. Four days of nonstop boardgaming *drool*

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
StoOgE said:
Though, it should be noted that the most any of these games go to is 4-5 players. 6 is difficult..
6 actually isn't that bad, it's 7 or higher where you start seeing more issues. My post earlier in thread covers some suggestions, for specific gateway stuff that goes up to 6 I'd suggest Saboteur, Slide 5, Winner's Circle (play with hidden bets), or Alhambra.

StoOgE

AstroLad said:
Yep yep. I think at least 3-4 other gaffers are going too. My brother-in-law wanted to join us but tickets sold out like three months ago and there's a big waiting list now. We just bought out plane tickets this weekend. Four days of nonstop boardgaming *drool*

that's what happened to me. I was going to buy them then the whole almost moving thing happened so I backed off. By the time I was settled I was sticking in Texas it was sold out.

Oh well, I may try and go to PAX or BGG next year.

I also just bought Battle Line and Lost Cities off of BGG. 20 dollars total from the same seller so I should get out for under 25 unless he *really* sticks it to me for shipping.

Niblet

Totally interested in board games and I think I can get my friends to play (we've played CCGs and had fun with DND). To start off I'll get dominion and then carcassone or catan. Definitely subbing and will be returning to this thread. Cheers.

Anyone happen to get a copy or play Battles of Napoleon Lion & Bear? Shit sold out fast, waiting for reprint especially since the first edition had lot of card printing errors.

Sasquatch

Long time Board Game thread lurker.

Someone earlier was looking for good games with 7-8, I thought I'd suggest this one. Nuns on the Run

It could be compared to the Fury of Dracula, but in reverse. One player plays the nuns who are searching for the novices. The novices are the other remaining players and have a specific goal on the board that they must reach, and return to their chambers without being caught by the nuns.

This really is like hide-and-seek the board game. One fun aspect of it is that you only know where your character and the nuns are at any given time. When we demo'd this at GenCon, the nun player walked out of a hallway and spotted three of us all in a fairly small area. None of us had any idea we were near another player. We all ran off in different directions to avoid being caught. The theme is a little strange, but it's a fun game with a group of people, and different from a lot of the other games that play a slightly larger group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom