• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new Sony Xperia 1 III is the Official Smartphone of the COD Mobile Championship 2021

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Timestamped:

This is the second year after 2020:

EcmNw3EUEAAxVWZ.png

Last edited:

Kadve

Sony made a big deal about gaming when announcing the new phones. Not that i understand why someone would choose to play games like COD on a phone, or do people not get hand cramps like i?

I just which they defied trends and made a proper compact phone without a stupid aspect ratio.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sony made a big deal about gaming when announcing the new phones. Not that i understand why someone would choose to play games like COD on a phone, or do people not get hand cramps like i?

I just which they defied trends and made a proper compact phone without a stupid aspect ratio.

I don't like mobile gaming but it's a big deal by many. Also you can use controllers if you like:

ElwUYvEU8AED4XG.jpg:large

But not sure if it's allowed in the eSport.

Sometimes I forget that Sony still makes smartphones, they will probably leave the mobile business soon. There are basically Apple, Samsung and the Chinese, and Sony has a fairly small market share.
I don't like Apple and Samsung, so if Sony leaves there's almost no one left making high end smartphones. I'd like a new Pixel but Google is only doing mid range phones, apparently.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sometimes I forget that Sony still makes smartphones, they will probably leave the mobile business soon. There are basically Apple, Samsung and the Chinese, and Sony has a fairly small market share.

It's funny though that after so much years they finally made a profit in 2020 with around 1M phones shipped compared to before. Seems like they're happy with their new strategy of making less with more profit margins. Been a Sony phone user since Sony Ericsson Walkman W550i in 2005. Aiming for 5 III mostly for being smaller.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sony market share is less than 1%, I would be surprised if Sony was still in the mobile business in few years time. The end is coming... like LG

Actually it's around 0.1%. But surprisingly they're making profit now:

Last edited:

Kadve

They kind of lost their direction when they moved from "Z" to "X". They started to copy trends (ie, be Samsung) rather than do their own thing and cater to people that liked them because they had features no one else had.

ttWas36.jpg

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
They kind of lost their direction when they moved from "Z" to "X". They started to copy trends (ie, be Samsung) rather than do their own thing and cater to people that liked them because they had features no one else had.

ttWas36.jpg

I think Sony is stubborn, and when they made profit in 2020 even with this short amount expect them to stick around even if they don't manage to take a big share of the market.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I didnt even know call of duty mobile championship was a thing...

Learn something new everyday.

From what I saw it seems during the competition you're not allowed to play with a controller? Not sure. Also having 3.5 jack while charging is a plus, although 4000-4500mAh is already quite massive. It has 240Hz touch scan rate and 4K@120Hz HDR screen, with raised gamma to give you advantage by revealing enemies clearly under the shade or dark areas.

Those mobile gamers seem to take it pretty seriously though:

Sony market share is less than 1%, I would be surprised if Sony was still in the mobile business in few years time. The end is coming... like LG

Man I wouldn't be surprised if LG was hurting. My current phone is lg and it's just slow. I can't get anything done on it if I have more than one app opened.

Probably gonna switch back to samsung at least those never gave me issues.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Japan takes mobile gaming serious though.

What are the stats of this thing?

It's actually funny how mobile games make so much profit margins. One game published by Aniplex, Sony Music (yes, music lol) made over $4 billion last year. Probably it's at $5+ billion now:

Fate/Grand Order (Japanese: フェイト・グランドオーダー, Hepburn: Feito/Gurando Ōdā) is a free-to-play Japanese mobile game, developed by Delightworks using Unity,[2][3] and published by Aniplex, a subsidiary of Sony Music Entertainment Japan. The game is based on Type-Moon's Fate/stay night franchise, and was released in Japan on 29 July 2015 for Android,[4] and on 12 August 2015, for iOS. English-language versions followed on 25 June 2017 in the United States and Canada,[5][6] and a Korean version was released on 21 November 2017.[7] An arcade version titled Fate/Grand Order Arcade was released by Sega in Japan on 26 July 2018.

The game is centered around turn-based combat where the player, who takes on the role of a "Master", summons and commands powerful familiars known as "Servants" to battle enemies. The story narrative is presented in a visual novel format, and each Servant has their own scenario which the player can explore. Servants are obtained through the gacha mechanic.

Fate/Grand Order grossed $982 million in 2017, making it the year's sixth highest-grossing mobile game.[8] In 2018, Fate/Grand Order grossed $1.2 billion, making it the year's seventh highest-grossing free-to-play game.[9] As of 13 March 2019, the game has grossed more than $3 billion worldwide.[10] Total revenue crossed $4 billion by the end of 2019.[11]

top-mobile-games-worldwide-revenue-january-2021.png

No wonder the PlayStation Division is envious of Sony Music making those crazy numbers, especially that the game only cost $100K to produce!

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I have a Xperia 5 II and love it! I've also had primarily Sony phones since the X10 and been happy with them for the most part.

Yeah was aiming to get that one, but suddenly shifted my whole budget for cameras and lenses etc. Would eventually get a new one from Amazon because they've pulled off from the middle-eastern market in 2018.

Last edited:
Yeah was aiming to get that one, but suddenly shifted my whole budget for cameras and lenses etc. Would eventually get a new one from Amazon because they've pulled off from the from the middle-eastern market in 2018.

Ah, cool, gotcha!

Sony really needs to improve their availability over time. They have fantastic premium products in the Xperias 1/5/10 now, just need to keep executing in the same preium space and expand their marketshare -- I assume there must be more Americans and Middle-Easterners who would buy their product if they were aware of them!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Ah, cool, gotcha!

Sony really needs to improve their availability over time. They have fantastic premium products in the Xperias 1/5/10 now, just need to keep executing in the same preium space and expand their marketshare -- I assume there must be more Americans and Middle-Easterners who would buy their product if they were aware of them!

I think this disaster of the departure out of many markets around 2018 made Sony fire the leadership and sign the new one who's been formerly behind Sony Alpha cameras. The previous leadership used to gimp the cameras so they don't "cannibalize" the compact cameras of the company. Funnily, compact cameras are irrelevant today, it's either smartphones or much higher quality cameras like micro 4/3 or APS-C and beyond.

I think eventually they'll get back, they've just made their first profitable year in 2020 since 2016. With PlayStation launching their mobile division, the smartphone business isn't going anywhere at the moment.

Last edited:
I think this disaster of the departure of many markets around 2018 made Sony fire the leadership and sign the new one who's been formerly behind Sony Alpha cameras. The previous leadership used to gimp the cameras so they don't "cannibalize" the compact cameras of the company. Funnily, compact cameras are irrelevant today, it's either smartphones or much higher quality cameras like micro 4/3 or APS-C and beyond.

I think eventually they'll get back, they've just made their first profitable year in 2020 since 2016. With PlayStation launching their mobile division, the smartphone business isn't going anywhere at the moment.

Excellent post. Just to add, I also remember hearing that Sony was keeping their mobile division around for the inevitable 5G and IoT shift....

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Excellent post. Just to add, I also remember hearing that Sony was keeping their mobile division around for the inevitable 5G and IoT shift....

I think they've found their niche so far, and they'll try to grow going forward. By then they can afford going big again, and the COD Mobile championship publicity will help a lot. PS Mobile games should have some extra perks for that wide angle gaming as well and probably some credit in some games like they Xperia has now with COD Mobile.

The Chinese are a real threat as they're offering too good smartphones for the asking prices.

I use Apple and Android phones (still miss Win Phones too) .

When it comes to Android, I've preferred Sony models going back at least 15 years. I've owned Nokia which were pretty good, LG which were meh to junk, and refuse to buy Samsung. Sony doesn't seem to know how to market their phones as it always boggles the mind they can't seem to increase market share. I'll be looking at one of the new models late this year, maybe for Black Friday...

Azurro

Banned
Actually it's around 0.1%. But surprisingly they're making profit now:

Interesting, I thought Sony Mobile was still losing tons of money. In a way I'm glad, I have good memories of my Xperia Z5, too bad they fell behind for such a long time. I checked out their new phones, and incredibly strange naming aside, their aspect ratio is just so weird, they are so narrow.

lyan

Interesting, I thought Sony Mobile was still losing tons of money. In a way I'm glad, I have good memories of my Xperia Z5, too bad they fell behind for such a long time. I checked out their new phones, and incredibly strange naming aside, their aspect ratio is just so weird, they are so narrow.
Well phones from most companies are getting narrower compare to the 16:9 days.

stranno

Regular cooling system, zero physical gaming buttons, 4.500mAh.. E-Sports phone. Yeah, sure. At least 4 gaming phones come to my mind that are far ahead this thing.

Alright

Banned
I don't like mobile gaming but it's a big deal by many. Also you can use controllers if you like:

ElwUYvEU8AED4XG.jpg:large

But not sure if it's allowed in the eSport.
I don't buy it. Not for a second. Not from Sony, not from Microsoft.

To me this reeks of a backdoor to streaming. Just like laziness was the backdoor to digital.

Memba people saying "no need to keep swapping discs" with digital? The same people who complained The Order was too short? can't be swapping discs that often then?

But yeah, streaming is the new enemy, and this manufactured push for it. Nobody is lugging a pad around with them so they can have a quick game of COD via 4g on the bus, or even public WiFi lol

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Timestamped:

This is the second year after 2020:

EcmNw3EUEAAxVWZ.png

I upgraded to an Xperia 5ii last year and that had COD mobile pre-installed..
Still haven't really played it though what I have seen of it certainly looked and moved well enough. The 5ii is a great little handset.
Anyone on the fence about grabbing one of these new Sony handsets should certainly give them as much consideration as the Google and Samsung offerings.

Azurro

Banned
I don't buy it. Not for a second. Not from Sony, not from Microsoft.

To me this reeks of a backdoor to streaming. Just like laziness was the backdoor to digital.

Memba people saying "no need to keep swapping discs" with digital? The same people who complained The Order was too short? can't be swapping discs that often then?

But yeah, streaming is the new enemy, and this manufactured push for it. Nobody is lugging a pad around with them so they can have a quick game of COD via 4g on the bus, or even public WiFi lol

Nobody is carrying around a pad just for gaming, streaming is a non starter.

Dane

The main issue is that Sony tried to sell themselves as a premium brand over the years when they never had the image for that, it's not like Apple who are known for being the forefront of high end mobile hardware and marketing. Sony was more akin to a Toyota and Honda, affordable and reliable.

Aceofspades

Banned
I'm the biggest Sony fan here, but I swear to god their mobile division is run by some low IQ chimpanzee!

Their Xperia phones are fantastic but it seems like Sony forgets to make logistics and distribution plan for them. They make them available in some regions then wait a year to make it available in the others! Also they had this stupid Strategy of having TWO flagships a year! Like WTF... give yourselves and your product some space..and make it available EVERYWHERE at the same time!

Dane

I'm the biggest Sony fan here, but I swear to god their mobile division is run by some low IQ chimpanzee!

Their Xperia phones are fantastic but it seems like Sony forgets to make logistics and distribution plan for them. They make them available in some regions then wait a year to make it available in the others! Also they had this stupid Strategy of having TWO flagships a year! Like WTF... give yourselves and your product some space..and make it available EVERYWHERE at the same time!

That too, i've heard these cases of having huge release gaps between regions, i don't even know how Sony failed to the very market they were born: Appliances and eletronics. Until like fifteen years ago they were one the biggest players in the market, today they're de facto an entertainment company.

FStubbs

This new Sony handheld is pretty sweet. Is it backwards compatible with PSP/Vita?

Definitely more powerful than the Switch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom