• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The next- and new-gen RPG preview megathread

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
rage1973 said:
Yes because we saw so much innovative game play for White Knight and FFXIII. Keep your fanboyism out of the thread and judge each game on its own merit.
Now I'm a Sony fanboy. :lol

Amir0x

Banned
Terrell said:
Your analysis of the 7-second clip that's been released is astounding.

uhm, maybe you didn't know... but DQ Swords is a product that you can buy today if you want. This is supposedly a game from that series. Now, unless they have a big departure - which is what I'm inquiring - what makes it an RPG?

ethelred

rage1973 said:
Yes because we saw so much innovative game play for White Knight and FFXIII. Keep your fanboyism out of the thread and judge each game on its own merit.

JJ isn't a fanboy.

I think the question was flawed, but that doesn't equate to fanboyism. Which doesn't apply in this case regardless. :p

rage1973 said:

oh, hell........your better not playing rpgs if you can see a difference between the gameplay in LO and WKS...damn...

peace

Hellgate, Neverwinter Nights 2, Witcher, Mage Knight Apocalypse, Gothic 3, etc

Neverwinter Nights 2 looks fantastic... really, really awesome... I want it. :)

Non-online PC RPGs are sadly very rare these days, but when they do come, they still can be about as good as ever.

... though Guild Wars (and Factions and Nightfall, which is coming soon) is online and is the best RPG I've played in years... but that one's not really a MMORPG, so it's different. More single-player and story focus (than most MMOs), for sure, with as much multiplayer as you want as well...

If the developer says it's a RPG, who are you to argue based on 4 seconds of video and a screenshot? :p

There is no real definition of "RPG". It means "any game that someone decides to put the label on" pretty much... I mean, if everything from Gauntlet to Ogre Battle and Final Fantasy Tactics can be called an "RPG"... either that's one really broad genre, or there are some pretty fuzzy genre definitions going on there... and I think the latter. :) It is a broad genre, but I'm not so sure it's THAT broad...

Oh, and it's amazing to see so many Japanese RPGs on the 360 when sales-wise it's not even doing as well as the Xbox in Japan, which had virtually none. Has MS been digging deeper into their pocketbooks or something? I mean, it's not new news with all we've heard about Mistwalker and stuff, but still, it's odd...

Amir0x said:
uhm, maybe you didn't know... but DQ Swords is a product that you can buy today if you want. This is supposedly a game from that series. Now, unless they have a big departure - which is what I'm inquiring - what makes it an RPG?

Is DQS really just Kenshin Dragon Quest?

jj984jj

Scalemail Ted said:
No, speculation and observation of the 5 second clip show that it will play similarly in basic regards though. The game obviously has a much higher budget and isn't a small scale project like Kenshin DQ was (since it mainly reused assets from old DQ games).

ethelred

Scalemail Ted said:

No, since that game wasn't made by Horii and DQS is, but don't let that disuade Ami.

A Black Falcon said:
There is no real definition of "RPG". It means "any game that someone decides to put the label on" pretty much... I mean, if everything from Gauntlet to Ogre Battle and Final Fantasy Tactics can be called an "RPG"... either that's one really broad genre, or there are some pretty fuzzy genre definitions going on there... and I think the latter. :) It is a broad genre, but I'm not so sure it's THAT broad...

Oh god, not this again. Ogre Battle and FFT are RPGs (sRPGs to be particular). Let it go! :p

Well I know that, I wanted to find out if Ami really believed the words he was typing.

If it was really Kenshin Dragon Quest we'd have more than just a 4 second clip. :-(

Amir0x

Banned
ethelred said:
No, since that game wasn't made by Horii and DQS is, but don't let that disuade Ami.

What the hell does who it's MADE by have to do with anything? It's titled Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors. Judging by the short clip and the title AND that it's a sequel to the DQ Kenshin game, we can gain that it at least takes heavily from the legacy of that title. If you're gonna come back with a dumbshit sarcastic remark, at least have something better to back your shit up then who it is made by. "It's made by Horii, which must mean it's different!"

Amir0x said:
What the hell does who it's MADE by have to do with anything? It's titled Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors. Judging by the short clip and the title, we can gain that it at least takes heavily from the legacy of that title. If you're gonna come back with a dumbshit sarcastic remark, at least have something better to back your shit up then who it is made by. "It's made by Horii, which must mean it's different!"

Bah! I'm expecting them to put in some sword swiping but I hope thats not all it is. Im keeping my fingers crossed.

Amir0x

Banned
Scalemail Ted said:
Bah! I'm expecting them to put in some sword swiping but I hope thats not all it is. Im keeping my fingers crossed.

It very well might be! That's why I was asking, instead of getting the typical combative response from ethelred trying to be clever.

IF it was a more high budget version of DQ Swords, then it still wouldn't be an RPG. Read up on what it's like here. According to IGN who talked to a SquareEnix representative, the Wii game will be a sequel to the above

jj984jj

Scalemail Ted said:
Sword Swiping will replace the "Attack" command, it's our basic attack. Other then that we don't know how the system works.

Amir0x said:
It very well might be! That's why I was asking, instead of getting the typical combative response from ethelred trying to be clever.

IF it was a more high budget version of DQ Swords, then it still wouldn't be an RPG. Read up on what it's like here. According to IGN who talked to a SquareEnix representative, the Wii game will be a sequel to the above
You really think with Horii on the title making the project much bigger than some Plug & Play TV game that DQS will be the same on-rails simple sword swiping game on every level game?

ethelred

Amir0x said:

:lol at you accusing others of being combative.

jj984jj said:
You really think with Horii on the title making the project much bigger than some Plug & Play TV game that DQS will be the same on-rails simple sword swiping game on every level game?

That's pretty much my point, yeah.

Horii has never done game design in a single DQ spinoff, so it strikes me as off to think he's doing that in this game -- but it's going to be identical to a television peripheral game that he had no involvement with.

Aside from that, let's see what we know.

1. The game was first revealed at E3 2005, right around the same time as Camelot began advertising for and did an interview stating that they were working on an untitled RPG.
2. Famitsu said that DQS was being developed by a company that usually does games published by Nintendo, such as Genius Sonority (who's doing Pokemon Wii) or Camelot.
3. The game gets delayed right as Camelot is exiting the console development business.

Hmmmmmmm.

Amir0x

Banned
jj984jj said:

I'm sure the project will be MUCH bigger than that Plug&Play shit. But Being bigger/deeper != suddenly an RPG.

ethelred said:
at you accusing others of being combative.

Typical deflection.

Oh god, not this again. Ogre Battle and FFT are RPGs (sRPGs to be particular). Let it go! :p

Then so is Gauntlet. :) ... not an SRPG that is, but an RPG. Heck, what about System Shock 2? They have vague character stat systems, and that's all you need, right? (they definitely have RPG elements, but "FPS with RPG elements" is a much more accurate description in that case, I'd say. Like how Warcraft III is an RTS with RPG elements.)

... is it really so wrong to wish that consoles would call strategy games strategy games, though? I don't think so... had either of those games come out on the PC (in the US) first they'd never have been called RPGs, and for good reason... but really, the point of that post was the first part about PC RPGs, not that paragraph, despite its length... so on that note...

Guild Wars: Nightfall: more of what made the original Guild Wars so great. After having some issues with Factions I wasn't sure if I was going to get Nightfall soon, but playing it convinced me... the new classes are great, the new settings are cool (if similar to some old ones, but that's okay), the new music nicely different, while still up to GW's very high standards... Arena.Net has proven itsself to be the best company of ex-Blizzard employees around, I'd say. :) Darn them for making $50 expansion packs so good...

The biggest questionmark in the PC RPG industry is of course Dragon Age, but we know so little of substance about that game that it's hard to say much about it... other than Bioware sure will have to do a really, really good job to make something as good as their best games. KotOR quality won't cut it.

Amir0x

Banned
Scalemail Ted said:
Heh... maybe it can be a true "action" rpg. :p

Anyway, all I was wondering is if we got more information that means they were turning this game into an RPG. I mean, i think the first game has level ups but that's about all that's related to an RPG.

jj984jj

Amir0x said:
I'm sure the project will be MUCH bigger than that Plug&Play shit. Being bigger != suddenly an RPG.
If the video is any indication that at least the battles will expand upon Kenshin DQ then it will definitely be an RPG since you can use spells in Kenshin DQ and such to defeat monsters as well and at the end of the battle you will collect loot to buy new stuff, etc. Kenshin DQ already had many RPG elements in place and a bigger project could easily turn the basic gameplay into a full fledged RPG.

Edit: Damn that was horribly written, I need some sleep. :lol

Amir0x

Banned
jj984jj said:
If the video is any indication that at least the battles will expand upon Kenshin DQ then it will definitely be an RPG since you can use spells in Kenshin DQ and such to defeat monsters as well and at the end of the battle you will collect loot to buy new stuff, etc. Kenshin DQ already had many RPG elements in place and a bigger project could easily turn the basic gameplay into a full fledged RPG.

Alright, well, we'll see then. I wasn't trying to make a bet one way or the other, just that if it's a sequel to a game in a series that was not an RPG i didn't know why we were assuming suddenly it was an RPG. That was my only question from the start

ethelred

Scalemail Ted said:
When is DQS launching, and why is S-E so secretive with the title? BTW, what team/group is developing this?

Like I said:

1. The game was first revealed at E3 2005 during Iwata's speech, right around the same time as Camelot began advertising for and did an interview stating that they were working on an untitled RPG for the Wii.
2. Famitsu said that DQS was being developed by a company that usually does games published by Nintendo, such as Genius Sonority (who's actually doing Pokemon Wii) or Camelot.
3. The game gets delayed right as Camelot is exiting the console development business.

ethelred said:
Like I said:

1. The game was first revealed at E3 2005 during Iwata's speech, right around the same time as Camelot began advertising for and did an interview stating that they were working on an untitled RPG for the Wii.
2. Famitsu said that DQS was being developed by a company that usually does games published by Nintendo, such as Genius Sonority (who's actually doing Pokemon Wii) or Camelot.

:-(

So it may become Vaporware?

ethelred

Scalemail Ted said:
:-(

So it may become Vaporware?

No, it's not vaporware -- they just showed it again two weeks ago. In all likelihood, DQS was Camelot's RPG. When Camelot dropped off the project to start making PC golf games, that caused the delay from their original launch intentions, and they had to find someone else to finish it up.

ethelred said:
No, it's not vaporware -- they just showed it again two weeks ago. In all likelihood, DQS was Camelot's RPG. When Camelot dropped off the project to start making PC golf games, that caused the delay from their original launch intentions, and they had to find someone else to finish it up.

Ahhh... I forgot about Nintendo's Wii3.

Lets see from the press release issued 2 weeks ago they had it slated for:
Dragon Quest Swords (Square Enix) - Spring 2007

Hopefully, we'll get like a preview sometime this year then.

If they stick to that date then I hope we can get it in the states by Winter 2007.

jj984jj

ethelred said:
Like I said:

Okay now that is stretching waaaaaaaaaaay to far. For all we know it could be Artoon.

jj984jj said:
Okay now that is stretching waaaaaaaaaaay to far. For all we know it could be Artoon.

They better stay focused on YI2. Cause if they screw that up. :mad:

anyway, We at least know the Executive Producer is: Yuu Miyake
according to Gamespot (as of E3)

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/rpg/dragonquest/news.html?sid=6149474

Square Enix executive producer Yuu Miyake did comment on the appeal of the "simplicity" inherent in the design of the Wii, which may give you a clue as to the design direction the team will be taking with the game. Since the Wii is due out this fall, you can presumably expect to see Dragon Quest Swords day-and-date with the launch of the system.

ethelred

jj984jj said:

Oh, that's all speculation, I know. I'm just saying, the timing fits in terms of the game's announcement coinciding with Camelot's announcement, and the delay coinciding with Camelot's exit -- and Camelot specifically announced an RPG, which this game seems to be.

That's what seems the likeliest scenario. to me... but anyway, this is just a tangent.

agent069

Banned
I'm really looking forward FFXIII and White Knight, I'm fed up of random battle and menu-based battle system, those 360 RPG seems pretty dated from what I see in those trailers.

I can't stand RPG anymore but all those new stuff seems pretty exiting, it looks like FFXII changed the face of japanese RPG

None for handhelds? Aww...

PS3 looks great as ever for jRPGs. Hmmm... I wonder how the 360's jRPGs will turn out in the end...

Wunderchu

icecream said:
Wasn't Ziria announced for US already, sometime around E3?
yup;
E3 2006: Hudson Announces Far East of Eden: Ziria & Others

...announcement of Tengai Makyo: Ziria (Far East of Eden: Ziria) for North American release on Microsoft's Xbox 360. Recently released in Japan to the elation of fans, Hudson plans for an impeccable localization of this charismatic title, though no release date is available at this time.
[source: http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2006/1247.html ]

Hopefully we get some Fable II goodness at the event today.

Environment screenshots in the least, perhaps some city ecology, and a PC port release date in an effort to further prove their dedication to revitializing PC gaming - that'd be nice.

Zalasta

Since when has RPG been lacking in the current gen? If you are referring specifically to the X-Box and GC platform, then I'd agree, but on the PS2, there are still plenty of games scheduled for release in the coming months (at least 6 before the end of the year).

Wunderchu

KyanMehwulfe said:
I don't remember where I read it, but someone stated that there is not going to be more info. on Fable 2. for awhile.. but still, quite a few RPGs with potential to look forward to :D

KyanMehwulfe said:

Environment screenshots in the least, perhaps some city ecology, and a PC port release date in an effort to further prove their dedication to revitializing PC gaming - that'd be nice.
How about some online play details for the game. I want to team up with and compete with other heroes in the game online...and against AIs offline.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
jj984jj said:
Did you not watch the videos?

Or Amir0x's overraction to the White Knight video? :lol

What's wrong with the question? BD and LO do look like the standard RPG, which is fine, but are the same people who are complaining about "boring and dated" turn-based RPGs really anticipating these games more than the new type of system we're seeing in FFXIII and WK?

Wait, I think I might have missed something... is there gonna be anything different with regards to FF13's battle system? Because I always thought the devs said it was gonna be your standard ATB system with flashier/more cinematic attacks.

djtiesto said:
Wait, I think I might have missed something... is there gonna be anything different with regards to FF13's battle system? Because I always thought the devs said it was gonna be your standard ATB system with flashier/more cinematic attacks.

The combat is suppose to be like that trailer you saw. Where you're basically selecting attacks on the fly instead of having your character attack and then stand there and then attack again.

ethelred

Zalasta said:
Since when has RPG been lacking in the current gen? If you are referring specifically to the X-Box and GC platform, then I'd agree, but on the PS2, there are still plenty of games scheduled for release in the coming months (at least 6 before the end of the year).

Honestly, I have to agree with Greenpanda -- this gen HAS lacked in the RPG department compared to the previous one. The PlayStation had a much stronger library of RPGs than the PS2, overall, and the Saturn had a waaaaay better library as a secondary RPG console than the GCN or Xbox did.

birdchili

ethelred said:
Honestly, I have to agree with Greenpanda -- this gen HAS lacked in the RPG department compared to the previous one. The PlayStation had a much stronger library of RPGs than the PS2, overall, and the Saturn had a waaaaay better library as a secondary RPG console than the GCN or Xbox did.

My *main* beef with this gen was the move away from open, exporable overworlds in turn-based jrpgs (DQ:VIII being a notable exception). FF:X felt "small" due to the constraints of the map, and wasn't much fun to explore compared to VII (for example). Lots of other rpgs this gen seemed to be more claustrophobic than games last gen.

I'm also still really jonesing for a good srpg in the vein of FF:Tactics. Disgaea is grand fun ad all, but it's not the same gameplay experience by a long shot.

Dark Cloud 2 was as good as any action rpg on the ps1 (that I can recall), and Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter was a really interesting evolution of turn-based rpgs. Nocturne was a grand challenge, which I appreciate in a genre where the turn-based games are tending towards far to easy.

to sum up: this was a pretty fine gen for rpgs, but give me my expansive open world maps back in my japanese rpgs.

OK, sorry for the delay -- Okami distracted me :p -- but I added all the games I left out originally (as well as Oblivion PS3, which was announced in the interim ;) ), and corrected the various mistakes. Thanks to everyone who helped out with this!!

Unless there are any other games I've already left out, I'm probably not going to update the list any further with additional game announcements. With more and more next-gen projects being announced, it would just get too unwieldy.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Operation Darkness looks neat.
Should have bought a JPN 360, le sigh.
TheJollyCorner said:
this thread is useless without RedScarlet.
What, so she can say she won't buy any of this and wait until the next FF/DQ remake? :D

Top Bottom