• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Next-Gen Jump was Art

Breads

Banned
As a PC gamer since the 80s the biggest jump I saw on consoles was actually PS1 to PS2. This is when consoles finally started to do what PCs could as far as 3d goes. It never quite got there as a standard but for the relative cost you got some great looks/ performance out of games starting that era where as in the PSX era most 3d games were... well... neat but low res/ fps in comparison.

valeo

That game definitely has a lot of jumps and it was artful

Seriously, look at all these jumps.

ori.gif

Very artful

Also, the tears. All the tears.

tumblr_nm8s7vfTlM1ti7x7uo2_500.gif

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Very soon Insomniac Games is going to deliver what you could almost objectively call the best-looking 3D platformer ever on art design alone.

Dial-up .gif warning

I can't believe the visual fidelity we're seeing this gen.

As for the 2 Wii U examples I agree that Xenoblade Chronicles X is an amazing feat, and in art design which this thread is about, MK8 is too. However, MK8 is 1280x720 (same res as XCX) but unlike XCX without any anti-aliasing whatsoever. If you blew up MK8 compared to any other game shown here, even XCX, it wouldn't look quite as good as it does.

KingJ2002

I agree... so far what developers have been able to accomplish have been mind blowing. I would like to go further and say this is because companies are no longer chasing realism like they've done in the past.

All of this will become a huge benefit once VR comes into play. This gen will ultimately be defined by how connected we are through online play and how immersive games can be with PVR and Oculus... but so far so good on the art side.

I look at articles like this and it's just a jaw drop.

http://hoopshype.com/2016/01/02/kobe-bryant-in-videogames-through-the-years/

and this pales in comparison to the Ratchet & Clank screens above me... Wowowowowow.

TheYanger

The notion of 'next gen experiences' like there's largely gameplay we couldn't achieve before has always been idiotic and sad. The number of generational jumps that have had that quality are miniscule.

I'd say next-gen is lighting.

It seems with the right amount of lighting tech in a game it can turn something from looking very flat to absolutely amazing.

Been thinking about this a bit lately. I understand that there are many people who feel like next gen hasn't really arrived, because we haven't had gameplay and that games are largely "the same experience, just prettier". And its sort of left at that, next gen has failed and being prettier is just seen as "not enough".

My personal reason for why I don't feel like next Gen has "arrived in spirit" is that past generations brought a leap in both graphical fidelity AND game play so I'm not sure why the current Gen would be an exception to that?

I do agree that many games today seem more creator driven than last Gen and it's certainly a good thing, but I think we haven't seen the true potential of this Gen as graphics are only half of the equation so imagine how engaging the first ground breaking game of this Gen will be :p

I'd love a jump in interactivity such as the ability to interface with as many object as possible. I've always loved when games include an in game computer that you can interface with as if it were a virtual PC.

True Fire

OP gets it. You can't compare Demon's Souls with Bloodborne and not see the next gen jump. It's in the realization of art. Developers are finally recreating concept art 1:1.

LordofPwn

I'd say this gen has been more about the openness of everything. It's easier than ever to publish games, and the tech is more accessible for building games. He'll even most of the platforms are similar enough for quick ports. Plus with all the social media integrations it's really allowed for the art direction of games to flourish.

I will also say that the tech is finally at a point on consoles where we can kinda just scale up from here. Faster chips, more storage, same OS going forward.
There's a possibility some PS5 and Xbox 20 games work on this gen at a lower graphics settings. Actually it would probably be more of a "this game is out, it'll run on PS4/XB1 but it will look better on PS5/XB20" like minimum requirements and Ultra settings on PC.

Late night thoughts.

I agree, stronger consoles & easier publishing combined with the availability of competent user friendly engines/software to individuals has really caused both the indie scene & art to thrive this gen.

I also think we're starting to see a significant jump in terms of open worlds & online connectivity

Take the division for example, you can freely explore an incredibly dense, detailed Manhattan & then seamlessly walk into an interior mission area that has so much detail you'd think it would be a separate level entirely, all while in co op. The transition to the dark zone is also done brilliantly.

GTA Online is also a good example to show restrictions have been lifted. Since they've dropped last gen, instead of sectioning off missions behind load screens Rockstar are now starting to just drop missions that can be seamlessly accessed right into the 30 player free roam with the VIP stuff

Lighting & PBR is also a big improvement we're starting to see.

Timeless

How many of these are bullshots? Apparently you have a shot from the Final Fantasy 15 demo, so that's okay. But that Street Fighter 5 image doesn't look like any gameplay footage. There's no HUD. That last image I don't recognize -- filename says "unravel"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XQW_Lw5t6k#t=6m

The depth of field looks close enough to the image in the OP, so that gets a pass too. SF5 has me questioning still. And that second image (from Bloodborne?) looks like a good candidate for a bullshot as well.

jnWake

I agree that graphics this gen are pretty insane but we shouldn't forget we had games like Okami and Wind Waker two gens ago. Those are stll beautiful and their HD ports look incredible.

Realistic graphics (naturally) look better than ever, although I still get more excited by not realistic stuff, like Zelda U for example.

Spinluck

Art is what is going to push the technology forward, and vice versa.

For what is inside these consoles, I can say so far that I'm satisfied with the results. Wish we could get more 60fps games but idk if that will ever happen since quite a few devs still don't put that fidelity of performance as priority. It depends on the game for me most of the time, but man is it nice to have.

Will 1080p@60fps be a standard next gen? I can't see it happening. Devs rather have more to work with, at least with console development.

Spinluck

Very soon Insomniac Games is going to deliver what you could almost objectively call the best-looking 3D platformer ever on art design alone.

Dial-up .gif warning

I can't believe the visual fidelity we're seeing this gen.

As for the 2 Wii U examples I agree that Xenoblade Chronicles X is an amazing feat, and in art design which this thread is about, MK8 is too. However, MK8 is 1280x720 (same res as XCX) but unlike XCX without any anti-aliasing whatsoever. If you blew up MK8 compared to any other game shown here, even XCX, it wouldn't look quite as good as it does.

It's a looker no doubt, but on art alone, I'd choose something like SM3DW or even Galaxy.

From a technical stand, not even close, Ratchet cleans house. Love the lighting in that last pic.

jetsetrez

In terms of IQ, certainly. But c'mon, this seems awfully discounting of the creativity of prior generations that were much more technologically constrained. To me, some of the "best" art in games were things like Jet Set Radio/Future, Rez, Panzer Dragoon Orta, and 2D hand drawn/painted RPGs, fighters, and shooters. Not to mention a lot of the "art style" examples have been happening for a long time now, in things like Flower, Journey, all of Amanita's games, Unfinished Swan, Braid,, etc.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Personally I love the more minimalist art styles. NaissanceE, SuperHOT, etc. Sometimes less is more

To each their own, I personally think the minimal art style has been done to death lately, especially in the indie scene. (and especially in music! I'll take any chance I can get to throw a hate bomb at minimal techno!)

sn00zer

In terms of IQ, certainly. But c'mon, this seems awfully discounting of the creativity of prior generations that were much more technologically constrained. To me, some of the "best" art in games were things like Jet Set Radio/Future, Rez, Panzer Dragoon Orta, and 2D hand drawn/painted RPGs, fighters, and shooters. Not to mention a lot of the "art style" examples have been happening for a long time now, in things like Flower, Journey, all of Amanita's games, Unfinished Swan, Braid,, etc.

In reference to your last sentence I mention these sort of games in the OP.

While I dont discount the other games you mentioned, its very clear concept art could really only be used as inspiration rather than descriptive plans. This are still fairly awesome looking games, its just that even the best looking games from previous gens could not directly translate the artwork, they could only translate the artwork the best they could given the technology of the time.

Jet Set Radio

Panzer Dragoon Orta

Okami

Philippo

Yes, this gen has so many varied arstyles i never get tired of them.
One of the best improvements since the yellow/brownish gen 7.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I fully agree with the OP.

Especially after seeing first hand the progression from Atari 2600 to now...

Gotta say, we reached that point where the ability to add in certain effects more easily made games that much more pretty.

It's the Dark Souls II to Bloodborne thing. We went from Video Game to Piece of Interactive Art.

Top Bottom