• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the next Xbox is planned to be released in late 2026.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
We know what happens when a company tried to push a console early. Except it is even worse in 2020's when it is no longer possible to fast track games.

Xbox can call their machine next gen if they want; maybe that would just be the excuse to kill the Series S support.
Trust me I am not saying its a great idea or the fact that I am in favor of it as in no way am I cheerleading this

I also don't want people to shoot the messenger here but with all that said.

Its Happening Mtv GIF by Jersey Shore Family Vacation

In my eyes, a 6 year console cycle is just right. Enough time for devs to get a grip of the hardware, enough time for tech to allow for a worthwhile upgrade, at console price points.
That was back when it took 3 years to make a game. You could have released two titles per studio in that time. But these days it takes 4, 5, even 6 years to make a game, which makes your timeline difficult.

Trust me I am not saying its a great idea or the fact that I am in favor of it as in no way am I cheerleading this

I also don't want people to shoot the messenger here but with all that said.

Its Happening Mtv GIF by Jersey Shore Family Vacation
Oh yeah, I am not at all disagreeing with you. You just tell us info and I appreciate that.

Remember, I insisted for years that Series S is never going to be a thing, because of how bad an idea it would be. And then Xbox made it happen anyways. So at this point "what is the best idea" and "what would Xbox Do" is basically two circles with no overlap.

"Starting next gen early so they can dump Series S support" was something I hypothesized too, during the Baldur's Gate 3 fiasco.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Rockstar hasn't even bothered with a "current gen" 60fps upgrade of RDR2, and you think they are going to prioritize the "next-gen" xbox after release?

#MorganFreemanGLmeme
It's going to be a current gen port of GTA, almost positively

If they're going to update GTA VI for any possible mid-gen consoles releasing in a year or so, whatever updates that'll have will roll to the next gen and clear out the performance deficiencies and/or run at the higher ends of the visual settings.

That sounds like a fair enough reason. 🤷‍♂️

For me...

Grand Theft Auto Bikini GIF by GIPHY Gaming

giphy.gif

Last edited:
If they're going to update GTA VI for any possible mid-gen consoles releasing in a year or so, whatever updates that'll have will roll to the next gen and clear out the performance deficiencies and/or run at the higher ends of the visual settings.

That sounds like a fair enough reason. 🤷‍♂️

giphy.gif
Yeah possibly. I'm not even expecting them to do much with PS5 pro. The biggest reason you won't see big improvements for Next gen Xbox is because Rockstar will want to sell a next gen version probably 2-3 years after release. It's not in their financial interest to improve upon current gen version

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yeah possibly. I'm not even expecting them to do much with PS5 pro. The biggest reason you won't see big improvements for Next gen Xbox is because Rockstar will want to sell a next gen version probably 2-3 years after release. It's not in their financial interest to improve upon current gen version

Oh that is a given. We're gonna be seeing GTA VI in stores until the mid 2030s.

And also various new ports of RE4 if history is anything to go by.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Codename :Gamepass Shell.
I thought it was Xbox Series Y? 😜

I am looking forward to seeing the specs/details. So many different rumors about what it is going to be have piqued my interest. If they just toss another box out there, I am probably going to pass but I have hope that is not the case.

ByWatterson

ryan reynolds hd GIF

They keep pumping hardware instead of GAMEZZZ. Lies of Phil strikes again.

And now they're gonna guarantee a hardware disadvantage if Sony moves even a year later.

Unless they're going after Nintendo and Valve this time? Dunno. Aimless company, feckless execs.

The console gen that never really happened, permanently fucked in the as sby Covid and will never fully recover.

You can find them at Wal-Mart, but I think you STILL can never find a series X or PS5 at my local Target lmao, they probably don't even bother to order any.

Oh that is a given. We're gonna be seeing GTA VI in stores until the mid 2030s.

And also various new ports of RE4 if history is anything to go by.
Don't you kinda hate that you can have a pretty clear idea what the 2030s will be like? that really makes me cringe.

We got in 3 years what we'll probably be middle aged before we get again, 3 GTAs, let that sink in, I'll probably be 50 before GTA7 is even a glimmer in anyone's eye.

I think this is 100% happening and that Discord leak from back in January this year was on the money about MS's future plans.

However, I think it's going to be a bit different than a "Windows Gaming PC" box, like I was feeling to be the case earlier.

Reason being, it'd be a LOT harder to "bring Xbox to Windows", than the other way around. The Xbox OS provides securities from application tampering that Windows doesn't, and adding Xbox console experience features to Windows would require doing a ton of compatibility tests to ensure stuff in the kernel doesn't go haywire and the OS doesn't break. Getting that up and going in full could take upwards several years, at least way later than 2026.

OTOH, bringing Windows-like features to the Xbox OS would be significantly easier. Quasi-sandboxing Windows applications that are whitelisted to install and run on an Xbox device through the Windows Store would take less effort, and have more built-in security. Getting native app versions of Steam, GOG, EGS etc. on the Xbox OS wouldn't require too much work from Valve & others, especially if Microsoft were to work with them. Since those would be trusted launchers, they'd have the same level of system access as the Xbox Store currently does, or at least just about.

This setup would also still allow them to license out a spec blueprint, Xbox OS, and the UI frontend to OEMs who'd like to build their own variants. You still have the console feel and user experience, choice of optional storefronts (is it possible Microsoft could charge a small subscription to Xbox owners for continual access to those storefronts on their next-gen Xbox device? Could be a good way of making it financially viable without pricing the hardware TOO high, and cover risks in people buying games outside of the Xbox Store), potentially modular performance upgrades (depending on the form factor), and potentially OEM variants (i.e a next-gen "SEGA Xbox" with a custom UI frontend and some other SEGA-specific features built-in).

I think the addressable market for that is both larger and clearer to communicate towards than the "Windows-based Xbox gaming PCs" I was originally thinking of, while also being a lot more feasible to pull off in time for a next generation.

Guess we'll see what happens.

I think this is 100% happening and that Discord leak from back in January this year was on the money about MS's future plans.

However, I think it's going to be a bit different than a "Windows Gaming PC" box, like I was feeling to be the case earlier.

Reason being, it'd be a LOT harder to "bring Xbox to Windows", than the other way around. The Xbox OS provides securities from application tampering that Windows doesn't, and adding Xbox console experience features to Windows would require doing a ton of compatibility tests to ensure stuff in the kernel doesn't go haywire and the OS doesn't break. Getting that up and going in full could take upwards several years, at least way later than 2026.

OTOH, bringing Windows-like features to the Xbox OS would be significantly easier. Quasi-sandboxing Windows applications that are whitelisted to install and run on an Xbox device through the Windows Store would take less effort, and have more built-in security. Getting native app versions of Steam, GOG, EGS etc. on the Xbox OS wouldn't require too much work from Valve & others, especially if Microsoft were to work with them. Since those would be trusted launchers, they'd have the same level of system access as the Xbox Store currently does, or at least just about.

This setup would also still allow them to license out a spec blueprint, Xbox OS, and the UI frontend to OEMs who'd like to build their own variants. You still have the console feel and user experience, choice of optional storefronts (is it possible Microsoft could charge a small subscription to Xbox owners for continual access to those storefronts on their next-gen Xbox device? Could be a good way of making it financially viable without pricing the hardware TOO high, and cover risks in people buying games outside of the Xbox Store), potentially modular performance upgrades (depending on the form factor), and potentially OEM variants (i.e a next-gen "SEGA Xbox" with a custom UI frontend and some other SEGA-specific features built-in).

I think the addressable market for that is both larger and clearer to communicate towards than the "Windows-based Xbox gaming PCs" I was originally thinking of, while also being a lot more feasible to pull off in time for a next generation.

Guess we'll see what happens.
Your argument failed when the whole point is for Xbox to stop spending money on hardware by having someone else make it.
Your desire for Xbox to survive as a machine is clouding your judgement.

Your argument failed when the whole point is for Xbox to stop spending money on hardware by having someone else make it.
Your desire for Xbox to survive as a machine is clouding your judgement.

So you're saying there won't be a next-gen Xbox? That is perfectly possible, and I have no horse in this race.

However, I'm still under the impression there is going to be some next-gen hardware. Given a lot of the chatter about them wanting to be more "open", but still in flux it seems about certain directions to move in, something with more PC-like openness and functionality is likely. Maybe some changes to the business model, while still having the secureness of console hardware), could be the approach they're taking.

And, making Xbox more like a PC would be monumentally easier than making Windows have the UI & secure experience of an Xbox console.

Last edited:
You'd have to be pretty masochistic to continue buying into that platform at that point. Just let it die and go full 3rd party. At least Sega knew when to bow out.
Not at all. Its pretty much all win.

If you've been playing Xbox and enjoyed it, you'll just keep doing that. Only your hardware will get a huge boost. You'll have access to pretty much every PS and PC exclusive. You'll have cheaper game prices. You'll keep GP. And you might even lose paid online. Almost no downside really except it'll be expensive up front compared to consoles.

People into PS5 and PS6 can keep playing that. No one really loses anything.

Last edited:
This makes sense as multi prong strategy.

Microsoft's ambition that every device is an xbox, just like what Netflix is whether it be a PC, TV, phone, console etc

So if they release a new Xbox in 2026 and it leapfrogs the competition like what x360 did to PS3 initially, they win.

Likewise if the new xbox sells similar units to Series consoles, but they leverage their software sales on PC Switch 2 and PS5/6 they win.

If their subscription services and cloud gaming users increase significantly and more users are playing through their smart phone, smart TV rumoured xbox handheld etc. they win.

It's not difficult to see what they are trying to do, saleswise it makes a lot of sense. The reality of the situation is that Xbox has lost a lot of goodwill and trust in the brand has hit an all time low. Whether gamers will flock back to Xbox or stick with Playstation, Nintendo and PC remains to be seen.

Sorcerer

Does it make sense to release a new console so soon if you don't have games. Power is not everything. Are developers who are wary of Xbox, going to want to devote development time to a new Xbox?

Last edited:

Pelta88

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 and those who love upgraded specs (as is their right) aside. Has anyone considered the PR disaster that would follow just a few choice words from their competition? Something like…

“We’re not abandoning a generation of customers because we failed at bringing games to the fore.”

Would stamp out any momentum XB was trying to build by starting a new gen, two years early. A simple statement like the above would have the broader market like…

true-its-true.gif

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
The PS6 is probably a 2027 release. I’m wondering if Microsoft is gonna end up in a Dreamcast situation… could be pretty bad for them if their next console isn’t a total home run.

Does it make sense to release a new console so soon if you don't have games. Power is not everything. Are developers who are wary of Xbox, going to want to devote development time to a new Xbox?
Xbox need something in the near term. Unfortunately "making new games" is not something you can do on short notice anymore. This might be a case of the only option available, even if it was going to be a disaster.And, making Xbox more like a PC would be monumentally easier than making Windows have the UI & secure experience of an Xbox console.

And, making Xbox more like a PC would be monumentally easier than making Windows have the UI & secure experience of an Xbox console.
The only thing easier is to not make it at all and have someone else make it for you. Notice that Microsoft sells Windows, not PCs.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 and those who love upgraded specs (as is their right) aside. Has anyone considered the PR disaster that would follow just a few choice words from their competition? Something like…

“We’re not abandoning a generation of customers because we failed at bringing games to the fore.”

Would stamp out any momentum XB was trying to build by starting a gen two years early. A simple statement like the above would have the broader market like…

true-its-true.gif
I mean with everything being cross gen game wise I don't see how its abandoning anyone

Heck we still haven't "abandoned" last gen yet

I mean with everything being cross gen game wise I don't see how its abandoning anyone

If they actually manage to get all Xbox purchases on PC it will be the least abandoned console ecosystem ever. No one's done that. Xbox at that point will just be a log in for a software interface on PC like Steam. I just think people dont get it. Its essentially a round about way to get you dual entitlements on everything.

Last edited:
There is another, much more obvious, option though.
I think the Xbox department realized they can't wait for this gen to end naturally. They need to organize the exit plans now, or they are going to have a disaster on their hands when an inevitable bad quarter cause the Microsoft CEOs to suddenly go "Tango Gameworks" on their combined asses on a random Tuesday. While they are still running with budgets left, they had to organize their own funeral.

Pelta88

Perhaps. But we've seen the actual stats as laid out via MS to regulators and in court docs. In every metric and newly created obfuscated metric, they’ve failed in every aspect of their gaming business.

The opening they’ll create by starting a new gen, because they couldn’t compete in the previous gen, would push them into the abyss of irrelevance. If that “abandonment” by a corp/conglomerate that doesn’t give a shit about its customers (which we know to be true) takes hold. It’d be worse than the XB1 launch debacle. I mean, they started this gen with a slew of lofty promises and delivered or fulfilled a grand total of none. The pitfalls of pivoting, irrespective of how they frame it, are too steep to consider. They don’t have the mindshare to even contemplate it imo.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

If I were Sony, I would announce and do my road to PS6 showcase a week before the Next Xbox release. And then release the PS6 one year from that day.

I think the Xbox department realized they can't wait for this gen to end naturally. They need to organize the exit plans now, or they are going to have a disaster on their hands when an inevitable bad quarter cause the Microsoft CEOs to suddenly go "Tango Gameworks" on their combined asses on a random Tuesday. While they are still running with budgets left, they had to organize their own funeral.
Technically, if they release in 2026, that's about when console generations naturally end. 6 years. It's the PS4 and PS3 gens that stretched the generations out to 7 years.

Last edited:
If I were Sony, I would announce and do my road to PS6 showcase a week before the Next Xbox release. And then release the PS6 one year from that day.
Sony doesn't take Xbox into account for their PlayStation plans anymore. That is how little Xbox matters to them. I really need a replacement competitor to show up so Sony can be stressed again, Xbox already failed.

Which is the other, more obvious option and not more hardware.
I assume the new hardware would be made by third parties. Basically even if it crashed and burned, current Xbox employees would have washed their hands of it and fired themselves by then.

Last edited:
It doesnt even matter anymore. There is no Xbox at that point. It will be a software storefront available on all PCs. Its like saying they should announce PS6 a week before PC. PC is already there.

Mr.Phoenix

It doesnt even matter anymore. There is no Xbox at that point. It will be a software storefront available on all PCs. Its like saying they should announce PS6 a week before PC. PC is already there.
That was funny.

But seriously though, now that I think of it. With EVERYTHING Microsoft makes being on PC day and date and game pass... why is there even an Xbox? I mean, we can't even say its for the value proposition, because you can get a PC that cost less, the same, or more than any Xbox.

That was funny.

But seriously though, now that I think of it. With EVERYTHING Microsoft makes being on PC day and date and game pass... why is there even an Xbox? I mean, we can't even say its for the value proposition, because you can get a PC that cost less, the same, or more than any Xbox.
Xbox is their attempt to run a closed ecosystem exclusively on their hardware. That's done.

Top Bottom