• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the next Xbox is planned to be released in late 2026.

For me...

Grand Theft Auto Bikini GIF by GIPHY Gaming

Do you mean you want to play the best possible version/place of GTAVI when it launches (or 1 year post it's launch since this console has a chance of slipping into 2026)?

Unknown?

It was like Aug of last year I posted Xbox would not have an answer for the PS5 Pro and wanted to jump start next gen a good 2 years ahead of the PS6

I still stand by my post this is happening and I would not rule out late in 25

No way Bond would have said twice recently about their tech leap if it wasn’t coming for 4 or 5 more years, they are deep in this machine

Specs are out there and I bet close to PS5 Pro launch the specs “leak”
If they jump start it, it can't be that big of a leap unless they plan a $999 enthusiast machine like 3DO.

alright xbox, you got this
  • include a dedicated, proprietary physics chip that's fast enough for complex fluid/smoke simulation, and soft body physics. having a dedicated chip means extra costs, but also encourages devs to use it--and it'll distinguish the xbox version from the PC version of a game.
  • go premium and partner with nvidia--get some of that sweet DLSS and other tech. or at least develop your own custom middleware and upscaling tech.
  • when the ps6 comes around, just release an xbox pro. when the ps6 pro comes around, go next-gen again.
  • you already have some of the best controllers... buckle down and make it the best, period. no more clickity clackity analog sticks and crap QA. maybe offer two variants: i prefer x360 style but others prefer the latest version. give us updated versions of both.
  • you bought tons of talented devs...publish their weird ideas. you never know whatll actually work and become super popular.
  • no digital-only; no internet-always.
  • special edition cases that're transparent. theyre cool.
    rab98p5zmKYWQvpeMFws43RbE1hKBgrPKRtWjuDS.webp

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Do you mean you want to play the best possible version/place of GTAVI when it launches (or 1 year post it's launch since this console has a chance of slipping into 2026)?
I think the goal will be to launch very closely to that GTA launch window

If they jump start it, it can't be that big of a leap unless they plan a $999 enthusiast machine like 3DO.
That very well could be the price with the dockable handheld being closer to the mainstream price

Sorcerer

alright xbox, you got this
  • include a dedicated, proprietary physics chip that's fast enough for complex fluid/smoke simulation, and soft body physics. having a dedicated chip means extra costs, but also encourages devs to use it--and it'll distinguish the xbox version from the PC version of a game.
  • go premium and partner with nvidia--get some of that sweet DLSS and other tech. or at least develop your own custom middleware and upscaling tech.
  • when the ps6 comes around, just release an xbox pro. when the ps6 pro comes around, go next-gen again.
  • you already have some of the best controllers... buckle down and make it the best, period. no more clickity clackity analog sticks and crap QA. maybe offer two variants: i prefer x360 style but others prefer the latest version. give us updated versions of both.
  • you bought tons of talented devs...publish their weird ideas. you never know whatll actually work and become super popular.
  • no digital-only; no internet-always.
  • special edition cases that're transparent. theyre cool.
    rab98p5zmKYWQvpeMFws43RbE1hKBgrPKRtWjuDS.webp
  • "when the ps6 comes around, just release an xbox pro. when the ps6 pro comes around, go next-gen again."
This would mean they would have to be in hardware research/ development 24/7. This could only work if they truly go the PC route.

• "you bought tons of talented devs...publish their weird ideas. you never know whatll actually work and become super popular"
They killed Tango. They don't seem to even want to market Hellblade. Weird ideas do not seem to be on the Xbox agenda.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So, is that their actual strategy? I mean, to introduce something new just because of GTA?
Nahh it was framed to me MS was tired of going head to head and getting destroyed sales wise so they decided to change things up and now that the launch windows may align it would be just a bonus to have the clear cut best place to plat it as free marketing

This greatest leap tech wise has to be something something AI because it’s based on a Zen 5 and that doesn’t seem like that massive of a leap compared to some of the earlier console tech advances imo

MarkMe2525

That was back when it took 3 years to make a game. You could have released two titles per studio in that time. But these days it takes 4, 5, even 6 years to make a game, which makes your timeline difficult.
Isn't that what AI is for. In all seriousness, we may get to manageable development timeliness again.

Topher

Gold Member
When Sarah Bond said that was it in terms of a console? Or was it vague.... which means she could be talking about the rumoured Xbox/PC gaming handheld?

Believe she said console but I'd have to watch it again to be sure.

This greatest leap tech wise has to be something something AI because it’s based on a Zen 5 and that doesn’t seem like that massive of a leap compared to some of the earlier console tech advances imo

Yeah, more than likely. There will be many an eye rolled and groan uttered when they reveal that's what she was talking about.

I feel if there is another “traditional” XBOX console, it will be DOA. What’s the point of another XBOX if their trajectory going forward is multiplatform development, the same leaders are still in charge and the same questionable decisions are still being made?

Hey guys, we got COD2026 day one with the best graphics!!! Oh ok, when’s it come to PS5 Pro, PC and Switch 2? Everyone knows the Microsoft contingent isn’t big enough for a game like COD, so a multiplatform release is probably inevitable. They will really have to change up their strategy to compete and that probably still won’t be enough because it seems like their reputation is damaged beyond repair. We’ll see.

Last edited:
Dreamcast and early launch vibes. They'll get maybe two years of best multi platforms (and not much better than PS5 Pro) and then get completely demolished by PS6. If the news about continuing to publish major MS Studio games on PS5 are true, there is no point in this.

Last edited:

pasterpl

If the rumours are true it will be a hybrid Xbox/pc device with ability to side-load steam. it would mean that it would play Xbox games, PlayStation steam releases and potentially emulate switch. Steam box on steroids with addition of console games. sign me up for day 1.

pasterpl

Dreamcast and early launch vibes. They'll get maybe two years of best multi platforms (and not much better than PS5 Pro) and then get completely demolished by PS6. If the news about continuing to publish major MS Studio games on PS5 are true, there is no point in this.
Rumours also said that it will be upgradable Hybrid Xbox/pc. Probably more PC.

I think the goal will be to launch very closely to that GTA launch window

You do understand that this potential GTAVI version on Xbox Next that you want to play, is nothing but the Xbox Series X code running in backwards compatibility mode, with the SAME visual and performance settings, and not a native Xbox Next app/SKU, right?

The PS5 Pro will most probably be the best place to play GTAVI during it's launch in 2025 (irrespective of whether Xbox Next is 2025 or 2026), because both Sony and MS have this first party rule for their mid-gen consoles which are part of the SAME generation, to be fully utilized and optimized for, if a game is launching after the mid-gen console launch.

Whereas, Xbox Next, is a nextgen console...

Last edited:
Maybe. That won't be well-received either. I think she oversold it.
I guess. Thats what everyone says about Greenberg too. I just see a marketing person saying they have a great product. I dont know why people take it so personally sometimes. Just waiting to see what it is. I dont care what hype adjectives she used.

Ashamam

Or it could just be a bone thrown to the diehards. Seems like a massive reach given everyone is going AI (inc. Pro) and its unlikely MS will differentiate on that for long. They can't mandate heavy AI use because a huge part of their installed PC based isn't going to have that hardware for a fair amount of time. Unless they do it in the cloud? That might be doable. But then the generational leap isn't really the consumer hardware.

Last edited:

SNG32

I it can play steam games and can promise 1440p 60 fps and some raytracing on 30fps and can keep the cost to 500 - 600 I will buy.

Topher

Gold Member
I guess. Thats what everyone says about Greenberg too. I just see a marketing person saying they have a great product. I dont know why people take it so personally sometimes. Just waiting to see what it is. I dont care what hype adjectives she used.

Nothing personal about it. I'm just making an observation. Hopefully I'm wrong and whatever it is lives up to the hype.

pasterpl

You do understand that this potential GTAVI version on Xbox Next that you want to play, is nothing but the Xbox Series X code running in backwards compatibility mode, with the SAME visual and performance settings, and not a native Xbox Next app/SKU, right?

The PS5 Pro will most probably be the best place to play GTAVI during it's launch in 2025 (irrespective of whether Xbox Next is 2025 or 2026), because both Sony and MS have this first party rule for their mid-gen consoles which are part of the SAME generation, to be fully utilized and optimized for, if a game is launching after the mid-gen console launch.

Whereas, Xbox Next, is a nextgen console...
How many ps4pro specific games were released? It was just an upgrade to run ps5 games better.

Rumours also said that it will be upgradable Hybrid Xbox/pc. Probably more PC.
I could see them doing something like that. Create a customized Windows called "Xbox OS", ask for specific hardware features and requirements to be called "Xbox", and outsource to 3rd party manufacturers.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
This greatest leap tech wise has to be something something AI

No, it’s just a stupid comment by a dumb executive

“The greatest leap ever” could be the fact that Xbox may go from 10TF to 25TF.

That’s a 15TF leap! Biggest evar!!!!1

Except leap percentage is what matters, and that’s only 2.5x

Most generational leaps are 4x-6x

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Rdna 5 will be a giant upgrade over 1/2 that series have.
But not much above the PS5pro.

The issue with the next Xbox isn't just a question of whats the point when everything on it is also on PC day and date. But its also a case of when it comes, the PS5 will still remain the lead and primary platform. It would also be coming at a time when there could be almost 100M PS5s on the market. And all the talk will be on the introduction of the PS6.

Remember the Dreamcast and PS2?

No, it’s just a stupid comment by a dumb executive

“The greatest leap ever” could be the fact that Xbox may go from 10TF to 25TF.

That’s a 15TF leap! Biggest evar!!!!1

Except leap percentage is what matters, and that’s only 2.5x

Most generational leaps are 4x-6x
My guess is that the next Xbox takes the Steam deck approach. They make a very specific version of Windows for gaming, Xbox OS, and ship it on a very custom PC, Well, custom with regards to the fact that the MB will come with an embedded CPU but an upgradeable GPU, and they may even ship the thing with a 4090. And sell it for $1500. But will have versions of it will lower powered GPUs all the way down to the equivalent of a 4060.

Xbox will basically become a version of Windows OS that leans towards couch and TV usage.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
In my eyes, a 6 year console cycle is just right. Enough time for devs to get a grip of the hardware, enough time for tech to allow for a worthwhile upgrade, at console price points.

Generations need to definitely have shorter lifespans, as hardware is becoming outdated much faster and new competitors like Apple and Samsung catch up, so 2026 would be prudent with more iterative console releases in future generations.

pasterpl

I could see them doing something like that. Create a customized Windows called "Xbox OS", ask for specific hardware features and requirements to be called "Xbox", and outsource to 3rd party manufacturers.
Yeah, that was another rumor saying that they will license manufacturing to 3rd parties (think MSI, Razer, Dell (Alienware), Lenovo etc.) with MS still releasing their own branded one as well but just for enthusiast. All with clear upgrade path similar to PCs and support for steam, epic games and other launchers. Might end up being hybrid similar to switch when it comes to from factor with dock giving you a performance boost. Reality is, that At this stage there are so many rumours that sky is the limit in terms of predictions.

I think it will include some AI stuff for upscaling, better NPC’s etc., but the main “leap” with AI will impact game development speed more (But we will have to wait for right tools ;). It should allow them to produce more games at higher speed with less bugs etc. At lower cost.

Rockman33

The issue with the next Xbox isn't just a question of whats the point when everything on it is also on PC day and date. But its also a case of when it comes, the PS5 will still remain the lead and primary platform. It would also be coming at a time when there could be almost 100M PS5s on the market. And all the talk will be on the introduction of the PS6.

My guess is that the next Xbox takes the Steam deck approach. They make a very specific version of Windows for gaming, Xbox OS, and ship it on a very custom PC, Well, custom with regards to the fact that the MB will come with an embedded CPU but an upgradeable GPU, and they may even ship the thing with a 4090. And sell it for $1500. But will have versions of it will lower powered GPUs all the way down to the equivalent of a 4060.

Xbox will basically become a version of Windows OS that leans towards couch and TV usage.
The ps5 pro will be the same one as the ps5. Rdna 1/2. The jump will be very big.

there are bigger issues (beyond the PS5 installed based)

Games are taking longer to make. It's crazy to think that the current generation could have taken 3-5 more years to arrive. so that there would have been synergy with games production times. Of course, the pandemic was a factor, so we could say that between 2-4 more years instead.

The budget of games in relation to the graphics and scope is reaching a serious diminishing return. I think we've hit a point where throwing more money at a game doesn't necessarily lead to a significant improvement in visuals or gameplay.

GaaS games, these kind of games are the most popular, and the established ones don't have an incentive to abandon their gamers on old hardware. (slower transition to "next-gen" )

listening to Kyle's interview with Piscatella. It seems that not only is there a lot of uncertainty in the future of the console market, there is a lot of hope placed in the Switch 2 and GTAVI to drive growth across all metrics.

While all this is going on, Xbox is trying to juggle its identity as a console, its subscription service, and its role as a third/first party publisher and developer....It's too much for a company that has historically struggled with the fundamentals of this industry.

The point is:
MS may try to do something that the industry simply doesn't want to or won't be able to support at all.

DragonNCM

And what do you think is gonna happen in 2027/2028 when sony launches with the more powerfull hardware?

Here is where it gets worse they will have a huge jump on MS as they will see what cards MS have played and have a year or two to counter.
It doesn't mater, they are already losing 2 to 1 in terms of console sales & gap from now on will only get bigger.
Nintendo did a right job with separation from console wars, it is time MS to do the same.

I mean with everything being cross gen game wise I don't see how its abandoning anyone

Heck we still haven't "abandoned" last gen yet
True but I also don't see the point of putting out a machine that is going to cost that much and call it a console. It won't be strong enough for the high end PC crowd and it won't be affordable enough for the console crowd. It's one of those things that sounds interesting on the surface but when I think about it further it doesn't make all that much sense IMO.

This all seems to me to be like something they should have done after the xbox one gen, now just seems too late for this. I know you've brought up GTA 6 a few times but at that price and with Sony likely having the marketing rights I just don't see how any game is going to push sales for a $900+ hybrid machine. I also don't see devs pushing it very much considering it'll have the smallest installed base and won't grow quickly.

midnightAI

That's true, but the problem that MS has is they have their shills like ColtEastwood who will ram that rhetoric down everyone's throats whenever next gen is brought up. Then when it releases if it isn't that then it will be the Sony fanboys who will be gloating, taking the piss, making memes etc. Both sides will be insufferable just due to that one small comment.

But I do agree with you, I'm more excited to see what it is, not what it isn't.

This gen has been the worst gen in forever, there are no games that interests me. I think the only games i have bought are games that are multiplatform. (baring the switch)

What possibly could next gen offer me other than more fidelity leading to even more dev time and safer games?

Last edited:
The only way to make COD exclusive without breaching the contracts is making it next-gen only for this xbox until PS6 release

Not necessarily.

It's quite possible that Sony declines to give MS/Activision PS6 devkits for obvious reasons; until it's too late for Activision to ready a PS6 port for launch.

Top Bottom