• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Night Of - new crime limited series - HBO Sundays - 90 on Metacritic

Interesting that they're billing it as a "limited series" since they typically use the "miniseries" label for their miniseries. I wonder if that has some sort of significance (like maybe they intend to bring the show back next year, either as a continuation or as an anthology) or if they're just using the two terms interchangeably?
I have no idea. They are deliberately putting 'limited series' in all of the marketing materials. Maybe they'll see how it does and re-up for a second season if the response is good? I also looked up Criminal Justice and that consisted of two different series, anthology style.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I have no idea. They are deliberately putting 'limited series' in all of the marketing materials. Maybe they'll see how it does and re-up for a second season if the response is good? I also looked up Criminal Justice and that consisted of two different series, anthology style.

It would certainly make more sense if they turned it into an anthology given their anemic drama lineup, but considering how long it took them to get this season out even after John Turturro was cast, I'm not sure how much that would help HBO in the short term. :p

Watched it yesterday, really good. Looking forward to the next episode.

either neither, or both. I am leaning towards neither

I feel like I'm gonna like this show a lot. I loved Bloodline s1 and s2 and s1 of True Detective so just trying to gauge the similarities or differences between them.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It would certainly make more sense if they turned it into an anthology given their anemic drama lineup, but considering how long it took them to get this season out even after John Turturro was cast, I'm not sure how much that would help HBO in the short term. :p
That seems to have had way more to do with HBO sitting on it until they had a scheduling hole than anything else. After all, I'm pretty sure principal photography ended a year and a half ago.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Smart move by HBO in putting this up before the official premiere. I was just about to let my HBO Now expire until Westworld premieres but now I want to watch this first.

-griffy-

Banned
Yo my man just broke the glass on the front door to get back into the house and I don't think I can finish this episode I'm way too stressed.

Talka

So you guys are saying this actually might be kinda good?

I've been rolling my eyes through weeks of commercials for this thing:

John Turtorro: "Don't talk to anybody."
...ten seconds later...
John Turtorro: "I told you not to talk to anybody."

Feels like a parody trailer every time I see it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This show is tense as fuck. It really makes the most out of every moment.

Exis

I just watched the first episode and this is damn good- just wish I hadn't as I now gotta wait.

Anybody know if it is going to be a beat for beat of the UK show? I am debating watching it.

First episode was amazing. Great acting all around. The wait for the next episode is going to be horrible so might pick up and watch Show Me a Hero or Vinyl.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
the-night-of-posterifr2r.jpg

Cropped the poster for a banner in the OP? feel like this thread needs a banner.

Crazy good episode. Just watched it before bed. Huge mistake because I'm terrified of my house now. The talent involved means this is gonna dominate my summer.

Does anyone have any theories on the show yet? The entire thing is driving me insane. My friend and I have been discussing for the past hour what we would've done.

greatgeek

Banned
Does anyone have any theories on the show yet?
The entire thing is driving me insane. My friend and I have been discussing for the past hour what we would've done.
I noticed that the bigoted witness lied to the detective about being alone when he confronted Nas. Perhaps he has some reason to be believe his friend killed whatshername; maybe they were in a relationship together - the guy did say that he knew her.

LaneDS

So you guys are saying this actually might be kinda good?

I've been rolling my eyes through weeks of commercials for this thing:

John Turtorro: "Don't talk to anybody."
...ten seconds later...
John Turtorro: "I told you not to talk to anybody."

Feels like a parody trailer every time I see it.

Haven't seen that trailer, but the first episode comes across as anything but parody.

Great start and I'm very interested to see more, so smart move by HBO getting some early buzz going (and dodging some cancellations as someone in here suggested).

I noticed that the bigoted witness lied to the detective about being alone when he confronted Nas. Perhaps he has some reason to be believe his friend killed whatshername; maybe they were in a relationship together - the guy did say that he knew her.

In addition to that,
there was the long shot of the guy with the limo/hearse(?) at the gas station. They focused on him long enough to where I think he fits in later.

I watched the first episode last night right before going to bed. This hit all my favorite genre buttons really fast. It was well shot and well acted. The guy that played Nas gave a very subdued but nuanced performance. I could see myself just paralyzed with fear and confusion like he was in that situation.

No he first said he knew of her and then he corrected himself to say he knew her type. The 2nd guy will probably come into play, maybe to discredit him as a witness later on. I don't think he was involved though.

In addition to that,
there was the long shot of the guy with the limo/hearse(?) at the gas station. They focused on him long enough to where I think he fits in later.

It definitely felt odd, especially putting out the cig butt on the window. It also seemed like the girl was running from something or someone when she first got in the cab.Then the reason she didn't want to be alone could very well be that she wanted someone to be there to protect her from whatever/whoever it was.

Arkeband

Banned

The guy also gave
Nas and the girl a lingering death-stare as he watched them enter the house.
And the girl was a little too familiar when telling them to give it a rest.

So that's my current theory, that the guy with the witness did it, although I'm sure the show wants us to think that. I wouldn't be surprised if later on, we're given some material to start doubting Nas as a reliable POV character. whatatwist.jpg

It definitely felt odd, especially putting out the cig butt on the window. It also seemed like the girl was running from something or someone when she first got in the cab.Then the reason she didn't want to be alone could very well be that she wanted someone to be there to protect her from whatever/whoever it was.

When she first got into the car all she cared about was going to a body of water, so I got the feeling she was actually en route to kill herself, but Nas was interesting enough for her to put it off for one more day.

The guy also gave
Nas and the girl a lingering death-stare as he watched them enter the house.
And the girl was a little too familiar when telling them to give it a rest.

So that's my current theory, that the guy with the witness did it, although I'm sure the show wants us to think that. I wouldn't be surprised if later on, we're given some material to start doubting Nas as a reliable POV character. whatatwist.jpg

When she first got into the car all she cared about was going to a body of water, so I got the feeling she was actually en route to kill herself, but Nas was interesting enough for her to put it off for one more day.

Hmm maybe on the first paragraph.

As for her killing herself, I got the feeling that she was running from someone and wanted to be at peace by the water while hiding out and think out her next move. You need to be taken to a bridge to commit suicide, not on a beach.

I do think it is plausible that she killed herself and incriminated Nas on purpose to sort of trap him. The alcohol, the drugs, the knife roulette stabbing sequence, and then the subsequent sex. I was kind of facepalming my whole way through that as I knew how fucked Nas was about to be.

Arkeband

Banned
Hmm maybe on the first paragraph.

As for her killing herself, I got the feeling that she was running from someone and wanted to be at peace by the water while hiding out and think out her next move. You need to be taken to a bridge to commit suicide, not on a beach.

I do think it is plausible that she killed herself and incriminated Nas on purpose to sort of trap him. The alcohol, the drugs, the knife roulette stabbing sequence, and then the subsequent sex. I was kind of facepalming my whole way through that as I knew how fucked Nas was about to be.

Drowning by "walking into the sea" or falling into a river are also ways people suicide - a bridge isn't required, it just has a chance to knock you out once you hit the water so you don't try to save yourself.

I also thought maybe she did it herself due to her reckless behavior, but I don't see why she would do that to an undeserving stranger. And she looked like she had knife wounds in her back (did they say they were exit wounds?), which is impressive if she did all that herself.

This reminds me more of Serial than any of the shows mentioned above honestly and I think it'd be smart for it to be marketed as such.

This show could so easily blow up if HBO plays its cards right. Even if their miniseries arent usually smash hits.

This reminds me more of Serial than any of the shows mentioned above honestly and I think it'd be smart for it to be marketed as such.

This show could so easily blow up if HBO plays its cards right. Even if their miniseries arent usually smash hits.

I got that vibe too. I think it would be an interesting angle if they never fully reveal whether he did it or not definitively.

My wife and I were so stressed out watching this.
Nas's slow creep toward the police station exit, the realization that he has the knife in his jacket (which I believe is not the actual murder weapon considering it's placed exactly where they originally left it), and the dumb decisions he decides to make under extreme duress.

Such a great starter episode. Can't stand that I now have like a 3 week wait for episode 2.

greatgeek

Banned
No he first said he knew of her and then he corrected himself to say he knew her type. The 2nd guy will probably come into play, maybe to discredit him as a witness later on. I don't think he was involved though.

His correction can be construed as a deception.

Finally finished up. Really strong pilot.

Beyond the two leads, Bill Camp did some nice work as Box and it was cool seeing Bodie from The Wire as the eyewitness.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Finally finished up. Really strong pilot.

Beyond the two leads, Bill Camp did some nice work as Box and it was cool seeing Bodie from The Wire as the eyewitness.

Bill Camp has that it factor as far as gravitas. There was something cool about seeing the way they portrayed the pecking order with standard beat cops and a detective. Going to be interesting to see how he deals with possible gaps in the "Naz is the prime suspect" narrative.

KeRaSh

The trailer looks phenomenal! Unfortunately my wife wants to catch up on Last Week Tonight before we dive into this so I won't be able to watch it just yet. #firstworldproblems

At least the wait for the second episode won't be that bad.

This is based off of the old BBC show? I haven't seen that in years! Was great at the time and I remember it as being one of the first things I saw with Ben Wishaw in it, pretty sure it actually had a stellar cast back then as well.

Wonder when or if Sky Atlantic will pick this up in the UK? Always interesting to see how the American adaptations of our shows turn out.

Orkidea

This is based off of the old BBC show? I haven't seen that in years! Was great at the time and I remember it as being one of the first things I saw with Ben Wishaw in it, pretty sure it actually had a stellar cast back then as well.

Wonder when or if Sky Atlantic will pick this up in the UK? Always interesting to see how the American adaptations of our shows turn out.

I was just reading up on the BBC version. Do you think it'll still hold up? I'm curious to watch it now. Ben Wishaw is great so I think it'll be a treat

Sean

Banned
Wow, very impressed!! Feels like a hybrid of True Detective/The Wire. Intense stuff. The kid who's playing Naz has some serious acting chops! Beautifully shot as well. Can't wait to see how this all plays out.

Is this a straight up remake from the BBC series, or is this a new story just based off of the BBC show? Worried if it's a remake it'll be spoiled.

I was curious about this myself so I watched the first episode of the BBC original (it's on Youtube here). The Night Of is a straight up remake pretty much. At least the first episode is, maybe it'll differ in future episodes. Only real difference so far is the location and the main character's race. Other than that, all of the story beats are identical.

I find this HBO remake better in every way though. Acting, dialogue, cinematography, and especially the pacing is better. The BBC show feels super rushed: the set up/character development,
hook up, and murder
all happen within the first 10 minutes. This HBO one is like 30 minutes longer and has a lot of little extra smaller scenes and extended scenes that add a lot.

Saya

First episode was alright. It got better in the second half, but I was kind of rolling my eyes during Naz's
time with the girl and doing drugs and knife games. Things got a lot better once we got that out of the way.
It just seemed so cliche to me and it wasn't very interesting.

That said, I loved seeing my man Bodie from The Wire again in a show.

Top Bottom