• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Night Of - new crime limited series - HBO Sundays - 90 on Metacritic

I know first episodes are typically full of red herrings but something about the motorcycle guy was off. I'm going to have to rewatch and see if he draws the attention of the first cops so that they pull over Naz.

the brief shot of Andrea's ID indicates that she has a motorcycle license

So, this gonna be Better Call Saul, but in gritty and dark ? I really liked the firs episode, but I don't see how this can get interesting in future episodes.

But I will give upcoming episodes a watch, since I really like the pilot.

I was going in this with no expectations, so at one point I thought every episode is going to be a story on it's own, kinda like Black Mirror.

So, this gonna be Better Call Saul, but in gritty and dark ? I really liked the firs episode, but I don't see how this can get interesting in future episodes.

But I will give upcoming episodes a watch, since I really like the pilot.

I was going in this with no expectations, so at one point I thought every episode is going to be a story on it's own, kinda like Black Mirror.

Lol wat. It's got nothing to do with better call Saul. It's just a legal/crime miniseries

Great pilot though. Damn shame that gandolfini couldn't make it but Turturro looks like a good replacement so far. And I love how the lead character is a Pakistani. Riz Ahmed is popping up more and more.

From creators Steven Zaillian and Richard Price, The Night Of is an eight-part limited series that delves into the intricate story of a fictitious murder case in New York City. The series follows the police investigation and legal proceedings, all the while examining the criminal justice system and the purgatory of Rikers Island, where the accused awaits his trial.

The Night Of stars John Turturro and Riz Ahmed and was directed by Steven Zaillian and James Marsh. It is executive produced by Zaillian, Price, Jane Tranter, James Gandolfini, and Peter Moffat; co-executive produced by Garrett Basch, Nancy Sanders and Mark Armstrong. Filmed in and around Manhattan, the HBO series is based on the BBC’s “Criminal Justice,” created by Peter Moffat.

Oh my God, I just watched the pilot and felt compelled to make this thread after I searched and couldn't find anything. It's so good! Who else is watching?!

DID HE DO IT? WTF HAPPENED?

iNvid02

This was an amazing pilot, the scratches on his back didn't look like human nails so im thinking the cat got back in the house and clawed him, maybe through the same back door he was put outside, perfect entrance for the killer too.

Xexros

Banned
This was an amazing pilot, the scratches on his back didn't look like human nails so im thinking the cat got back in the house and clawed him, maybe through the same back door he was put outside, perfect entrance for the killer too.

It showed the girl scratching his back as they were taking their clothes off.

Arkeband

Banned
Did anyone point out that the killer must have gotten into the house via the back gate which she left open when she took the cat outside?

Did anyone point out that the killer must have gotten into the house via the back gate which she left open when she took the cat outside?

Yeah I'm sure it's been pointed out. Camera focuses on the gate and that black guy as two possible alternatives already (or perhaps in conjunction)

Also we shouldn't rule out naz either

Sanjuro

The shit actor from House of Cards? I wonder how he'll do here.

jIUGeJx.gif

Great episode. Shows like this make me realize I could not handle being in prison. This shit scares me. And Rikers? Damn, Naz. Stay strong.

sflufan

Banned
Naz has to make the most of that murder rap at Rikers. It's the only way he's gonna survive as that will give him some prison cred.

SaintR

Such a solid show. Progresses slowly but I think it adds to the frustrations felt by the main character and family. One thing that got to me was just how unhelpful the police were in general to Naz's parents. Really frustrated me watching it, felt like I was back to watching the dick cops from Steve Avery in How to Make a Murderer.

Like I said solid show, looking forward to more eps

Jeels

Soo nobody else going to point out that the detective tampered with evidence by giving Naz his inhaler back?

When he handed it to him I was screaming in my head "NO! You idiot"

Why would it be his fault if the detective gave it to him?

Couple of things:

-I dislike how the lawyer is easily some guardian angel, who also seems to be doing this out of some kind of kindness or love for the job. I also already dislike his "I'm a snappy New Yorker lawyer, who is also charming" trope.

-Hated how the detective new who the religious figure was, and was able to describe him perfectly. Just totally unbelievable and just a stupid inclusion in my opinion. I just dont buy something like that at all and it just made me roll my eyes.

-Are the parents immigrants? I wish theyd talk in their native tongue when they talk to each other. Making them speak English to each other feels like something for the audience. Not to say that they wouldnt speak English, but every immigrant parents I know always speak their native language to each other, including mine. Just a personal annoyance

Anyways, I like a slow build, and Im hoping we get some solid scenes with Naz in prison.

Oh btw, shouldn't naz have a shitload of blood on him? He barely had any considering the crime scene.

Couple of things:

-I dislike how the lawyer is easily some guardian angel, who also seems to be doing this out of some kind of kindness or love for the job. I also already dislike his "I'm a snappy New Yorker lawyer, who is also charming" trope.

-Hated how the detective new who the religious figure was, and was able to describe him perfectly. Just totally unbelievable and just a stupid inclusion in my opinion. I just dont buy something like that at all and it just made me roll my eyes.

-Are the parents immigrants? I wish theyd talk in their native tongue when they talk to each other. Making them speak English to each other feels like something for the audience. Not to say that they wouldnt speak English, but every immigrant parents I know always speak their native language to each other, including mine. Just a personal annoyance

Anyways, I like a slow build, and Im hoping we get some solid scenes with Naz in prison.

Oh btw, shouldn't naz have a shitload of blood on him? He barely had any considering the crime scene.

I'll just answer the first one: he's clearly doing this for fame. The 2nd episode throws it in the viewer's face.

Awesome show, I saw the episode last night and have it on again now to rewatch.

Its weird, she says she wants to go to the beach, yet she lives in an apartment in NYC so should know there isnt a beach nearby, shouldn't she?

She then just says the river will be fine, but cant be more specific than uptown.

Its kind of like she was from out of town, wasnt really her apartment.

She said "he was ok" about her dad. Naz assumes this means that her dad has died, but she doesnt say anything more about it. It could be she has already decided to kill herself, hence is talking in the past tense.

She then says "do you ever wish you could transport yourself, like, something bad happens here and youre over there?"

She then says she cant be alone tonight.

Like she needed to have someone at her place.

She gives him heaps of drugs - this was to deliberately get him to fall asleep.

When they play the knife game, she enjoys being stabbed.

My theory is that she has asked someone to kill her, by being stabbed. To get someone to do this, she frames Naz. The way they repeatedly show the deer too, its like they were trying to say someone was watching them.

The person who killed her was the motorbike rider. The rider was watching Naz to see his reaction to the whole thing.

Couple of things:

-I dislike how the lawyer is easily some guardian angel, who also seems to be doing this out of some kind of kindness or love for the job. I also already dislike his "I'm a snappy New Yorker lawyer, who is also charming" trope. .

I can see you getting that impression from the first episode, but this one made it pretty damningly clear that Naz means nothing to him.

Top Bottom