• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Whoops I thought you were referring to that.

So is this mod supposed to run $100? Or is that just speculation? I suppose it should cost less than the component cables

EDIT: whoops I'm all confused. I didn't realize they were making a plug and play HDMI. That's exciting

We have no idea how much it's going to cost. The plug and play version will probably be more expensive for just the hardware, so someone who can mod in the internal one is probably better off going that route. But it should be a lot cheaper than the internal mod plus paying someone to install it.

It uses the digital out port, and will probably be a short cable leading to a box with the chip in it and an HDMI port. It won't be as full featured as the internal mod though. It's a lot more appealing to me because getting a system modded is expensive, I'd like to keep my digital port (have component cables), and not have a nasty cutout on the back of my GC.

And the only thing I don't like about Japanese GC cases is that they seem to have cardboard sleeves for box art? MUCH prefer the DVD case style of having the cover in a sleeve.

I mentioned before about Japanese Gamecube box protectors a little earlier in the thread, but I got them in the mail, and I recently bought Path of Radiance, so I thought I'd show them off. I know some of you collect Japanese games as well, and know how fragile those cardboard slipcovers are. So here's a way to keep them in good shape!

I've got boxes for my GB, SFC and N64 games, so I'm really glad somebody finally offers these for Japanese Gamecube games, too! :) Very happy with them.
Damn I'm gonna have to get some of those for mine.

S6301987.JPG
What's that?

Impotaku

Damn I'm gonna have to get some of those for mine.

What's that?

It's a game where you do the 88 temple Ohenro pilgrimage in Japan, it was made for people that can't do the pilgrimage in person. It doesn't contain all 88 temples but there are quite a few to visit.

The game consists of a ton of pics that slowly fade into each other as you walk, a bit like google earth. When you get to a temple you are treat to 360 panoramic shots as you explore the grounds looking for the booth where you get your pilgrimage book signed, you also have to light a candle and do the prayer chanting too.

Along with the game you have a pedometer that counts your steps so if you are not playing you can use the total you have walked to go towards your pilgrimage in game by plugging it onto your gamecube. There is also a 3 button controller so you can walk on the spot to make you walk in the game, also tapping the L&R triggers does the same if you don't have the controller which is quite a few as the controller is now pretty hard to come by.

Found it to be like nothing else, managed to eventually complete the poilgrimage. I used to play a few hours every evening before bed i found it very calming just walking through the Japanese countryside & exploring temples.

Impotaku

It allows you to walk using real steps so your pilgrimage kind of counts as you have done the walking for real. Be warned though it's pretty much all kanji so navigating the temples can be pretty hard as all the direction boxes look the same so you tend to end up going in circles. Took me a while to learn them all, or more importantly the directions to the prayer shrine & the temple priest who signs your book.

Man, that sounds fantastic! Sounds really peaceful (and good kanji practise). Where on earth did you hear about this game?

Man, looking through your photos again, Japanese Gamcube killer7 has the greatest coverart. It's so beautiful. Makes me wish I had my copy with me, but it's back home in NZ. :(

Impotaku

Man, that sounds fantastic! Sounds really peaceful (and good kanji practise). Where on earth did you hear about this game?

Man, looking through your photos again, Japanese Gamcube killer7 has the greatest coverart. It's so beautiful. Makes me wish I had my copy with me, but it's back home in NZ. :(

Seeking out unusual games is what i love the most, back when the gamecube was current gen i used to buy a lot of games. Because i only buy Japanese stuff (a few exceptions) when it comes to Nintendo games, i ended up stumbling on the more unusual games along the way. In the case of ohenro i actually found the makers website and was intrigued by what the strange controllrs were for. This is probably the oddest game released as it was extremely niche. Hell even when it was released it's price probably put a lot of people off as it was crazily expensive the pedometer & game set was12,800 yen and another 6,800 if you wanted the 3 button controller too. thankfully i came across it later on when the price had dropped but that 3 button controller was expensive as hell as even back then it was really hard to find.

There is a video of it running on youtube but they keep cutting to another segment, the game isn't as jarring as that video makes out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC4uKla3LmY

The White Sock

Neo Member
Hi everyone !

Finally, I have the right to speak in this world !

It took me more than a month to get through all the posts in this thread... But it was totally worth it !
So much love for this console is emanting from this Topic and all its contributors.

First thing first, my girlfirend bought me back a GameCube (DOL-001) this Christmas with :
  • Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
  • Mario Party 6
  • Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Since that day, I've been searching and collecting games (not only on this console). But also all the secrets behind the cube.
My gamelist has been critically increasing since that day. First by FR/EU PAL games. Then, after the find of a gold mine on ebay, JAP NTSC games.
My listing is not updated at all, but you can see in this sheet a snapshot of it. Like I said, it's so outdated! I've like 50 Japan games now !

So, my first post is well timed. I was ready to try to laminate the Japan game sleeve. As nobody mentioned it before, I would like to know what you think of it ?
The sleeve, when unglued, are like a sheet of thin cardboard. So it wouldn't be too stupid to think of it as a paper sheet. It will require a lot of work to laminate all of my sleeve, then cut it, fold it and reglue it. But there are some business around that offer that kind of services.
I dread that with some sleeves, it won't work well. For example on the sleeves that have some deep on the font or that are shiny.

I'm happy to be part of this joyful ride !

PS : I will be back with some pics of my collection

Seeking out unusual games is what i love the most, back when the gamecube was current gen i used to buy a lot of games. Because i only buy Japanese stuff (a few exceptions) when it comes to Nintendo games, i ended up stumbling on the more unusual games along the way. In the case of ohenro i actually found the makers website and was intrigued by what the strange controllrs were for. This is probably the oddest game released as it was extremely niche. Hell even when it was released it's price probably put a lot of people off as it was crazily expensive the pedometer & game set was12,800 yen and another 6,800 if you wanted the 3 button controller too. thankfully i came across it later on when the price had dropped but that 3 button controller was expensive as hell as even back then it was really hard to find.

There is a video of it running on youtube but they keep cutting to another segment, the game isn't as jarring as that video makes out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC4uKla3LmY

Yeah, your collection really reflects that! :) I wish I could take photos of my games, but they're between two countries. It's not nearly as extensive as most of you here, though.
I checked out that video, the game looks really neat. It looks like something that would come out on the Saturn!

So, my first post is well timed. I was ready to try to laminate the Japan game sleeve. As nobody mentioned it before, I would like to know what you think of it ?
The sleeve, when unglued, are like a sheet of thin cardboard. So it wouldn't be too stupid to think of it as a paper sheet. It will require a lot of work to laminate all of my sleeve, then cut it, fold it and reglue it. But in there are some business around that offer that kind of services.
I dread that with some sleeves, it won't work well. For example on the sleeves that have some deep on the font or that are shiny.

To be honest, I personally don't think laminating the slipcovers is a good idea. You're having to take the slipcover apart, after all. Of course, these are your games, so you're free to do with them what you will, but that's some serious damage. If you're doing this to protect them, it's kind of a backwards way to go around it, in my opinion.

I am looking forward to photos of your collection, though. They're always fun to see.

Kururin Squash and Mr. Driller. They were shipping out the slow way. If I'm lucky I might get them in next week.

Nice! I own neither of those games, but I really want both of them.

Rich!

Anyone interested in a platinum gamecube dol-101 with matching Game Boy Player, Action Replay start disc, sd adapter+game boy interface setup? UK.

Just throwing it out there before putting it on ebay. I just don't use it as much as I thought I would do, as I stick to gamecube games on my Wii U/Dolphin and GBA on my GBA/3DS and Retroarch.

What's the best solution currently for playing out-of-region discs? HBC on Wii?

Yes. Sorta, it's the easiest at least. A hacked Wii with Priiloader in general is the easiest but there are some games that have severe text issues when run in the wrong region.

Best is having a physical region switch added onto a GameCube so that all NTSC-U and NTSC-J games work flawlessly.

The disc-based solutions all involve swapping a disc each time you load and have the same compatibility issues as a Wii does. A modchip would get rid of the swap but still have compatibility issues.

Imma pretend EUR doesn't exist. If that's your jam then I have no idea! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: Oh and don't forget to have separate memory cards.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So I have a question about 480p on the Gamecube. We all know that the pal-region got kinda fucked here, but I wonder if it is possible to force the pal-games that accept 480p in their ntsc counterparts into 480p and have it look acceptable with some kind of mod/homebrew or whatever, or if i should just get ready to pick up all my games again in ntsc format. Any thoughts on this?

Rich!

So I have a question about 480p on the Gamecube. We all know that the pal-region got kinda fucked here, but I wonder if it is possible to force the pal-games that accept 480p in their ntsc counterparts into 480p and have it look acceptable with some kind of mod/homebrew or whatever, or if i should just get ready to pick up all my games again in ntsc format. Any thoughts on this?

It works fine on the Wii forced with my PAL games iirc

Rich!

Really? How do you do that? And does it looks as good? I guess I need component cables for this?

You can either use Nintendont or force via Swiss. And yeah, you need component cables.

It doesn't quite stack up to the GC component, but it's still very, very good...and for a mere fraction of the price.

Use the homebrew channel, use cleanrip to rip all of your GameCube games to a usb hard drive or usb stick, and you then can play the entire library with convenience, forced to 480p (and with true widescreen on many games) via Nintendont. You can even sync a Wii U pro controller or a Dualshock to it! Or then take your rips and play them on a Wii U through HDMI

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
You can either use Nintendont or force via Swiss. And yeah, you need component cables.

It doesn't quite stack up to the GC component, but it's still very, very good...and for a mere fraction of the price.

Use the homebrew channel, use cleanrip to rip all of your GameCube games to a usb hard drive or usb stick, and you then can play the entire library with convenience, forced to 480p (and with true widescreen on many games) via Nintendont. You can even sync a Wii U pro controller or a Dualshock to it! Or then take your rips and play them on a Wii U through HDMI

As long as the pal-games look as goo as the ntsc games, i am fine. Thanks!

Glowsquid

this is a weird and probably dumb question, but um, is there any reason to pick up metroid prime 2 (I already own the stand alone versiosn of MP1 and Mp3) on Gamecube over the Trilogy version? Like, does the later have missing graphical effects? glitches? Unforeseen quirks that make the game more annoying, etc?

Peltz

did u say hi to Irish?
I would've totally reached out to Irish ninja if our itinerary weren't so packed. We were pretty much on a rampage nonstop down there. We stayed at the Fountain Blue and the girls at the hotel were just just so...

Yea I definitely wasn't thinking about video games :)

Hopefully someday though.

Timu

this is a weird and probably dumb question, but um, is there any reason to pick up metroid prime 2 (I already own the stand alone versiosn of MP1 and Mp3) on Gamecube over the Trilogy version? Like, does the later have missing graphical effects? glitches? Unforeseen quirks that make the game more annoying, etc?
Trilogy version does have missing graphical effects.

Grief.exe

-shadow-

Really? I have never heard that.
IIRC the heat and ice effects are missing from the canon, the lights when charged don't move along with the canon and the watersurface effects are missing for some reason. I believe that's all of them.

Rich!

Yeah, the cannon effects in MP1 are prebaked overlays based on the fact that the cannon is mostly static in one area of the screen.

Metroid Prime trilogy however uses the MP3 cannon movement (full movement). As a result the previous effects were discarded.

RexRogers

Neo Member
On my outing to Half Price Books yesterday I found that they had a compete copy of Ikaruga...for $40. Seemed a bit pricey so I walked, but I'm having second thoughts. Is this a deal or should I pass and take my chances on eBay?

D.Lo

IIRC the heat and ice effects are missing from the canon, the lights when charged don't move along with the canon and the watersurface effects are missing for some reason. I believe that's all of them.
Yeah I looked it up now. Weird. Must have been a conscious decision by the designers, probably because the cannon rotates more in the NPC versions. No idea about the water though.

Not stuff you'd notice when playing it I guess, overall NPC Prime is actually slightly touched up graphically with crisper textures in some places and a few more effects.

Roi

On my outing to Half Price Books yesterday I found that they had a compete copy of Ikaruga...for $40. Seemed a bit pricey so I walked, but I'm having second thoughts. Is this a deal or should I pass and take my chances on eBay?

Why don't you just look on Ebay yourself what they go for?

RexRogers

Neo Member
Why don't you just look on Ebay yourself what they go for?
It's usually useful to get other people's opinions. In this case the situation is a toss up since eBay is a contradiction of sorts. Lots of $60+ buy-it-nows, and auctions going all over the place.

Impotaku

After my web provider pulling everyones free webspace & me losing all my collection pics online i have finally re uploaded them all to a new host so the broken image links in my previous collection post should be working again.

Found a few more to upload, my main cube i use to game on which is a FFCC competition prize gamecube one of the 150 produced for the contest in Dengeki magazine.
ca074abe46.jpg

All my controllers that i bought using my points through the years from club nintendo.
ca07269e43.jpg

ca06eca60b.jpg

After my web provider pulling everyones free webspace & me losing all my collection pics online i have finally re uploaded them all to a new host so the broken image links in my previous collection post should be working again.

Found a few more to upload, my main cube i use to game on which is a FFCC competition prize gamecube one of the 150 produced for the contest in Dengeki magazine.
ca074abe46.jpg

All my controllers that i bought using my points through the years from club nintendo.
ca07269e43.jpg

ca06eca60b.jpg
I want that Wavebird. I saw it on sale on eBay one time for £130. I was close to hitting buy it now but didn't. Also, is that a DS case? It looks neat.

Impotaku

The wavebird was the last controller club nintendo ever sold it also had a whopping 1000 point price tag which meant you had to register a lot of games to get one as you normally only got about 40 points per gamecube game when registered. Yeah that's a ds lite game case, have quite a few in all the different colours of DS lite they released.

Over the years club nintendo has offered some amazing stuff which is why i'm pretty sad it's been replaced nowdays with the crap mynintendo digital garbage service.

Drain You

Any idea what the differences are between this Gamecube and the white one they released in Europe? I rarely ever see the FFCC Gamecube pop up on Ebay, but the latter I can always find a couple relatively cheap. Been curious about this for quite some time.

Impotaku

The white euro ones have a black panel at the back as they don't have the digital port on them. The Japanese ones have matching white pearlescent plate at the back with a digital port, the Jpn ones were also bundled with the matching gba player so if you see one that's got it then it's most likely going to be a Jpn one.

Drain You

The white euro ones have a black panel at the back as they don't have the digital port on them. The Japanese ones have matching white pearlescent plate at the back with a digital port, the Jpn ones were also bundled with the matching gba player so if you see one that's got it then it's most likely going to be a Jpn one.

Thank you, I can't tell you how long thats been bugging me. So jealous of that Gamecube, one of my holy grails as a Cube collector. Prices on those are ridiculous.

Impotaku

Ah you're welcome, glad i could help. Yeah the prices of the FFCC cubes have always been pretty high, many years back i managed to find that one for £150 on yahoo auctions, it had it's controller but it was missing it's box and one of the port covers on the bottom is missing hence it been as cheap as it was. Boxed ones were always crazily pricy.

Because of that i had no problems in using it as a regular cube, so it's seen thousands of hours of happy use. I still take care not to damange the lovely pearlescent paint on it though. I'd be gutted if it got scratched.

Top Bottom