• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

Mr. Virus

Lost Kingdoms 1 and 2
Custom Robo
Chibi Robo
Cubivore
Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg
Bomberman Generation

Are all fun games that I don't hear mentioned too often when the Gamecube is brought up.

These are good recs. Love the Lost Kingdom games.

Megaman Battle Network Transmission is something I had a lot of fun with, though your mileage may vary.

shanafan

MJR did a video on his dead GameCube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvd-73clV6E

I have been happily using the GC HDMI Plug n Play 2.0 adapter from ZeldaXPRO on my Gamecube for weeks now... until it got bumped at a party. Now my Gamecube is DEAD! However, a new version is being worked on by the creator and all orders will be automatically upgraded.

My soapbox real quick.. I really like MetalJesusRocks. Just comes across as a real dude who loves games, and wants to help his community with reviews, etc. He mentioned that he bought his GC HDMI Plug n Play, and he is not sponsored by the developer. Meanwhile, last week, I watched a video from Adam Koralik, and he said he didn't have the GC HDMI yet, but he would gladly do a video on it if the developer sent him one. That's just gross. You have a large channel, and are asking for handouts. Please.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

My soapbox real quick.. I really like MetalJesusRocks. Just comes across as a real dude who loves games, and wants to help his community with reviews, etc. He mentioned that he bought his GC HDMI Plug n Play, and he is not sponsored by the developer. Meanwhile, last week, I watched a video from Adam Koralik, and he said he didn't have the GC HDMI yet, but he would gladly do a video on it if the developer sent him one. That's just gross. You have a large channel, and are asking for handouts. Please.
The Retro Roundtable talked about this on their stream last night. They also touched upon how it's horrible someone like MJR did a review on this to his many followers and was warned this could happen in the comments of his first video and he ignored them. I agree with them it's bad he didn't take his video down (and still hasn't) as soon as his GCN blew up.

https://youtu.be/A6CEBYJ5_G0?t=3495

shanafan

The Retro Roundtable talked about this on their stream last night. They also touched upon how it's horrible someone like MJR did a review on this to his many followers and was warned this could happen in the comments of his first video and he ignored them. I agree with them it's bad he didn't take his video down (and still hasn't) as soon as his GCN blew up.

https://youtu.be/A6CEBYJ5_G0?t=3495

What do you mean he ignored the comments? He posted the video, and the comments followed. Did the community want him to take the video down because of the product being faulty i.e. buyer beware?

Kalnos

Banned

Wow, lol. Between BAC and this guy making HDMI adapters than can fry your cube the situation is a mess.

What do you mean he ignored the comments? He posted the video, and the comments followed. Did the community want him to take the video down because of the product being faulty i.e. buyer beware?

Meaning he didn't listen to people that it was an issue and kept using it. Nor did he make any kind of official comment hey this could possibly fry your GC, until it happened to him, even though people were telling him about it. MJR seems like a cool dude, and I'm sure in person he would be chill as hell to hang out with it, but his videos make me roll my eyes hard. Honestly 5 minutes of research could make him not sound like someone who has no clue what they're talking about.

Fuzzy

xIpyEj5.jpg

Oh, but you won't find that comment on the latest video because MJR deleted it.

https://twitter.com/GameSack/status/901212006870523904

MJR was warned it could happen way before it happened to him and he didn't bother letting his 428K followers know about it. I feel sorry for those who treat people like him as a source of information instead of just entertainment.

shanafan

xIpyEj5.jpg

MJR was warned it could happen way before it happened to him and he didn't bother letting his 428K followers know about it. I feel sorry for those who treat people like him as a source of information instead of just entertainment.

Oh wow, Game Sack calling him out. I didn't realize how much of an issue this truly was.

IrishNinja

xIpyEj5.jpg

...yeah. like Mark from CGR, you prolly shouldn't look to dude for technical info, unless it's in their wheelwell (mark knows recording/historical stuff, MJR sometimes seems to know PC gaming from his background, etc). anything else, google it

I lost all respect for gamesack after their comments towards data discs and their genesis releases but good on them for calling out MJR on the gamecube adapter!

Fuzzy

Oh wow, Game Sack calling him out. I didn't realize how much of an issue this truly was.
The problem is it's not a real connector, it's 2 PCB boards that are sandwiched together and just touching the contacts inside the GCN. Any shift and the 12V can short out to another pin. This is one of the reasons why it's taking BadAss Consoles so long, he's having an actual connector made so this can't happen.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The problem is it's not a real connector, it's 2 PCB boards that are sandwiched together and just touching the contacts inside the GCN. Any shift and the 12V can short out to another pin. This is one of the reasons why it's taking BadAss Consoles so long, he's having an actual connector made so this can't happen.

Last update on Twitter said he will hopefully have samples shipped to him by Sept. 10th.

Connector is taking a while, he's posted some mock-ups and details though.

https://twitter.com/BadAssConsoles/status/857666081921609728
https://twitter.com/BadAssConsoles/status/866803978818002945

Would you guys say Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3/4 is better on Gamecube than PS2? I'm thinking it probably is but I can't decide which version to get.

Also, any recommendations on good scifi games for the GC? Maybe something ala Xenosaga?

Did the Gamecube versions have online play? I think that was a plus for the PS2 versions back in the day.

Either way I preferred PS controllers on THPS games

Would you guys say Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3/4 is better on Gamecube than PS2? I'm thinking it probably is but I can't decide which version to get.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 on GameCube apparently had some framerate issues, especially in the Tokyo skate park. Or so reviews said. I read that it does look a bit better than the PlayStation 2 version, though. I'd personally recommend the PlayStation 2 version just for the controller, but the framerate should also be better, if the reviews were right. I own the PlayStation 2 version myself. Back in Christmas of 2001, my family and I were thinking about getting the GameCube and that version of the game, but ended up getting a PlayStation 2 with it instead due to the controller and the framerate issues mentioned in reviews. I got a GameCube a few months later, but never got any Tony Hawk games for it.

I know you didn't ask about it, but I feel that I should mention that the Xbox version has an extra Oil Rig level and an extra skater. They were added since the game came out a few months later on there.

I don't know if there's much of a difference between the different versions of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4, though the Xbox version does support 720p. I own that version, so I can't really say much about the others. But between PlayStation 2 and GameCube, I'd pick the former just for the controller. I love the GameCube controller, but the button placements aren't ideal for this series.
Did the Gamecube versions have online play? I think that was a plus for the PS2 versions back in the day.

Either way I preferred PS controllers on THPS games
I think only the PlayStation 2 versions of the Tony Hawk games that generation had online play. And yeah, agreed about the controller.

...though the only Tony Hawk games I have on PlayStation hardware are Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 on PlayStation 2, and Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix on PSP. I own the rest on Dreamcast, Xbox, and Xbox 360, plus a few handheld versions on Nintendo systems. Pic.

D.Lo

Also, any recommendations on good scifi games for the GC? Maybe something ala Xenosaga?
I think it makes little difference these days but back then having uncompressed video for the skate video 'rewards' was a huge plus on PS2 for me.

Also the game was clearly built from first principles around the PS's dpad - tap tap controls made perfect sense on the segmented dpad, just like Tekken. Gamecube dpad was a secondary input and it's just not as good on a stick.

These days you can watch all the video you want in higher quality on youtube and get a PS2 controller adpater, so GC versions with improved IQ and load times would actually be best by a small margin! And as the series sent on the videos were more the developers screwing around instead of quality skate vids, and the skaters in the roster were not exactly the best in the industry in many cases, (Koston, Mullen, Vallely excepted), nobody gave a shit about all those 80s style vert skaters in 2001 lol.

prateeko

Anyone ever purchased a factory sealed game and found a fingerprint underneath the plastic or any other smudges or anything like that? Looking to get a game and the seller noted a fingerprint underneath the plastic but recalls buying the game at a retail store and the seller seems on the up-and-up but that one thing makes me take pause...

TheMoon

Anyone ever purchased a factory sealed game and found a fingerprint underneath the plastic or any other smudges or anything like that? Looking to get a game and the seller noted a fingerprint underneath the plastic but recalls buying the game at a retail store and the seller seems on the up-and-up but that one thing makes me take pause...

get a picture. what kind of factory seal? cheap shrinkwrap or proper folded plastic?

TheMoon

that's the good kind of seal. I see nothing wrong with it. the fingerprint UNDERNEATH is still weird but it looks legit to me. not that I'm an expert, but still.

prateeko

that's the good kind of seal. I see nothing wrong with it. the fingerprint UNDERNEATH is still weird but it looks legit to me. not that I'm an expert, but still.

Yeah, it looks like a legit seal, but I got burned on a WW in the past that had been resealed but the case was scuffed underneath. The fingerprint under the seal is what's throwing me, but the seller is super open and said they got it from CC/BB/Frys/etc.

Anyone else have any thoughts? I'm leaning towards having them ship it, but they wanted me to get back to them to be certain.

TheMoon

Yeah, it looks like a legit seal, but I got burned on a WW in the past that had been resealed but the case was scuffed underneath. The fingerprint under the seal is what's throwing me, but the seller is super open and said they got it from CC/BB/Frys/etc.

Anyone else have any thoughts? I'm leaning towards having them ship it, but they wanted me to get back to them to be certain.

was it (WW) resealed like this? I'm only familiar with reseals using the shitty shrinkwrap.

prateeko

was it (WW) resealed like this? I'm only familiar with reseals using the shitty shrinkwrap.

It was. That's when I started to become really paranoid. I got it and it seemed "off". I was looking at it under the light at angles and when I tented the plastic wrap I could see there was scratches on the game case itself BELOW the "factory" seal at which point I realized I'd been duped. Got full refund then but since then I've been very wary.

NDPsycho

Just last month I bought a sealed DS game from an amazon seller that looked off. It was a nice looking y-fold seal, but there was a small tear in the clear plastic over the artwork. I had bought it to play and it was priced the same as used copies so I opened it. Imagine my non-surprise that the cart already had a save on it.

TheMoon

Just last month I bought a sealed DS game from an amazon seller that looked off. It was a nice looking y-fold seal, but there was a small tear in the clear plastic over the artwork. I had bought it to play and it was priced the same as used copies so I opened it. Imagine my non-surprise that the cart already had a save on it.

:(

prateeko

open it & play it

Already have an open copy to play

This is my fear... I'll take a look and see if there really is a fingerprint under there plastic or a scuff on the factory seal...

Galdelico

I don't know how a fingerprint would get underneath unless it was resealed.

I've experienced myself a few oddities, in years of collecting videogames, with brand new sealed games (and I mean, for example, PS2 games that I bought in stores day 1, which I had personally removed their genuine Sony seal from the plastic wrap): I remember a folded manual, another one that was misplaced - under the two tabs inside the case - and got a corner damaged, and even a WRC disc which came out with very light scuffmarks on its surface, in spite of not being loose in the box, but perfectly secured on its holder.

That's not to say a fingerprint shouldn't get anyone worried - I would've probably forgotten about the auction immediately, and looked for another one - only that I've seen odd shit nonetheless.

I think now would be a good time to post this since I don’t plan on being here much longer.

I found this new app called Snupps. It’s basically instagram with a purpose. You use virtual shelves to display items you own. It’s been recently growing in popularity. I’ve got my own shelves but also made a Nintendo GameCube Collectors group for fans of the system to display and/or discuss anything GameCube related. It’s a much easier and tidier way for us to show off our collection without having to sort through random posts and display them all in one place and at the same, talk with people outside of this forum.

You can download the app for both iOS and Android. Just search for Snupps. Then search for GameCube Collectors.

Would love for you guys to join in and show off your purchases, games etc
https://www.snupps.com/group/1520--nintendo-gamecube-collectors

v1oz

Gamecube along with the DC were amongst my favourite consoles. But I didn't know the GC had a thriving collector's scene. It's a fairly recent console with a fairly small game library.

Top Bottom