• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

Jamix012

Are either of the GC Bomberman games good if you have no friends and will just be playing by yourself until you die alone?

Only played Generation, which is fun and has a nice single player campaign too, don't know about the other game (Bomberman Jetters) or the Japan only one (Bomberman Land 2.)

televator

Alright! I went with my original solution, the SD Media Launcher. They had much more specific and easy instructions for use with the Swiss app. Really steep on the shipping though ($10!!), but it's not too bad at ~$30 total.

Gentlemen, will this be the final nail in the coffin and confirm once and for all that GC >>>> Wii?

Those component cables are going to get a work out...

IrishNinja

Alright! I went with my original solution, the SD Media Launcher. They had much more specific and easy instructions for use with the Swiss app. Really steep on the shipping though ($10!!), but it's not too bad at ~$30 total.

Gentleman, will this be the final nail in the coffin and confirm once and for all that GC >>>> Wii?

nice! i was worried it'd cost you...like, i can't find a flash cart for the GBA player these days, it's crazy.

some people will point to the wii's apparent ability to use external HDD's for GC streaming (which is awesome and was totally not there for the years i had mine setup), but yeah this does sound superior to me!

Man, why is Fire Emblem so expensive?! It's nearly impossible to find for a decent price.

man i lucked out with this one, got into FE a year or so back on handheld and decided to hunt down the console versions...found a loose copy of the wii one here on B/S/T but a gamestop nearby had Path of Radiance for like $20 or less, also loose but i swear that GC closed up like a month later...sucks, cause they had a bunch of GC titles that i totally wish would've been around when GS dropped em to 75% off this last january!

i prolly still had zero chance at cubivore, but you never know

televator

nice! i was worried it'd cost you...like, i can't find a flash cart for the GBA player these days, it's crazy.

some people will point to the wii's apparent ability to use external HDD's for GC streaming (which is awesome and was totally not there for the years i had mine setup), but yeah this does sound superior to me!

Apparently these tools I'm acquiring can also be used for the GC to play games off the SD card. Though there seems to be issues with some games running slow (Same issue with the Dreamcast SD adapter) and obviously an HDD is larger than an SD card. I wouldn't be surprised though if someone adapted one of the GC's bottom ports for faster data transfer with external devices (assuming the ports down there are faster).

Also why hell did they stop making flash carts for the greatest handheld ever?

Peagles

literally can't find em for sale, i ordered one like 6 months back on the cheap but they've been waiting to see if they get more in stock ever since...

Oh shoot really? Cos they are back in production and have been selling on several sites for the past while now. Where did you place your order?

I posted in the GBA thread and in the Micro <3 thread when they came back in stock, but didn't think to post here, dang.

Edit: Just checked, back in September, so they should still be plentiful!

Sanke__

Was planning on rebuilding a gamecube collection.

I am really happy i opened this thread because i had no idea it was so difficult/ expensive to get a gamecube to output 480p.

Gonna go hit up the local small game shop this week and see if they have a component cable.

The viewtiful joe games rogue squadron 2 super monkey ball 1 and mario sunshine are my top priorities so far.

IrishNinja

Oh shoot really? Cos they are back in production and have been selling on several sites for the past while now. Where did you place your order?

I posted in the GBA thread and in the Micro <3 thread when they came back in stock, but didn't think to post here, dang.

Edit: Just checked, back in September, so they should still be plentiful!

some nowhere spot that i'm bout to cancel when you link me to your places! off to check the GBA thread

isual

just stumbled on this thread.

I still have my fire emblem path of radiance that I bought for 20 bucks.

still got ppmTYD and Baten 2 in my backlog....

IrishNinja

^interesting! id have to look around ebay to find domestic ones...right now i was just eyeing a case for Mario Kart: Double Dash that formerly held a bonus disc as another option

Joqu

Gamecube Twilight Princess in 16:9 they say? I must go deeper! Thanks for the lead!

Edit:
tumblr_inline_mghqg0FLIb1qayjy3.gif

Ummmm... GAF (Especially those that care about peak visuals), you might wanna get in on this...

Wind Waker and Melee on real hardware running in 480p Widescreen

Glad I was able to help out!

But uh, I didn't even realize they mentioned Twilight Princess. I wonder how they pulled that off if true, I'm pretty sure that's still not possible on Dolphin.

Ultratech

Was poking around one of the game stores I frequently visit and managed to find Baten Kaitos Origins!

(Been looking for it for a while in my area, but hadn't had much luck.)

Think I'll be pretty busy for about the next month or two, playing though that and Baten Kaitos. :D

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Forcing widescreen looks awesome. If that works well I might have to find some kind of SD solution.

What's support like though? I'd think there would be a big performance hit in a lot of games.

On a side note what tv/monitor do you guys all play your Gamecube(s) on?

Forcing widescreen looks awesome. If that works well I might have to find some kind of SD solution.

What's support like though? I'd think there would be a big performance hit in a lot of games.

Seems from reading the forum comments that there were some performance impacts on some games. I've been trying to search for a compiled compatibility list but haven't found anything yet.

Kokonoe

Banned
Has anyone here tried using the Wii U Game Pad as a monitor to play Gamecube games? I noticed the Wii U Game Pad can stream Wii mode now.

linkboy

Has anyone here tried using the Wii U Game Pad as a monitor to play Gamecube games? I noticed the Wii U Game Pad can stream Wii mode now.

Except the Wii U doesn't play GC games, you have to hack the Wii Mode and run GC ISO's through a loader to even get GC games to play on it, and you can't use a Wii U to copy said games.

televator

Tight. My GCN library is about that size. Going for quality over quantity <3

My man! That's generally how I collect for anything I don't just keep anything. All games I don't have enough interest in, I re-sell and put towards games I would actually play.

Glad I was able to help out!

But uh, I didn't even realize they mentioned Twilight Princess. I wonder how they pulled that off if true, I'm pretty sure that's still not possible on Dolphin.

Well at the end of the day it's real hardware Vs. emulation. There's bound to be advantages. Seeing as I have TP, I will definitely be confirming it for myself. I mean think about it... The Wii basically is a GC and it runs TP in widescreen somehow. I imagine all Swiss is doing is adding in code that allows it much in the same way it's enabled on Wii.

Well the effectiveness is dependent on how a game was coded (I'm guessing the way it was setup to render). For some games this might never work at all... however I'm seeing posts on the forums I linked to where people are getting some RE games to work... I always thought that would be impossible because of the nature of the fixed camera angles + pre-rendered backgrounds... but again I'll be seeing it for myself...

Other games like Wind Waker are a bit funny. In panning camera scenes you'll see stuff that suddenly pops into the landscape once it passes into the 4:3 zone. Then in one scene with a steady camera shot you'll see seagulls disappear behind Link once they pass into the 16:9 zone.

Other games it seems the 4:3 lock was completely arbitrary and the whole view renders perfectly.

As for performance, it's possible that rendering more of the scenery could tax the GC in some way might slow down the game even just a bit, but again those guys on that forum say it isn't much or too big a problem on most games...

Llyranor

Didn't have a gamecube, so only started collection once I had a wii.

IIRC, it includes:
- Viewtiful Joe (AMAZING game - freaking love it to bits)
- Fire Emblem (haven't played yet)
- Baten Kaitos 1/2

I wish I could find the Megaman X collection at a decent price. PS2 version sells for peanuts :/

Slermy

Gentlemen, will this be the final nail in the coffin and confirm once and for all that GC >>>> Wii?

Okay, I've gone and done the same. I had no idea stuff like this was even possible.

I don't have component cables though... :(

televator

Okay, I've gone and done the same. I had no idea stuff like this was even possible.

I don't have component cables though... :(

I think wide screen is still doable over composite/S-video, but yeah, you'll definitely want a component solution to get more out of it with 480p.

Joqu

Well at the end of the day it's real hardware Vs. emulation. There's bound to be advantages. Seeing as I have TP, I will definitely be confirming it for myself. I mean think about it... The Wii basically is a GC and it runs TP in widescreen somehow. I imagine all Swiss is doing is adding in code that allows it much in the same way it's enabled on Wii.

Sure, but you'd think that this code can be implemented somehow on Dolphin, no? I don't know much about GameCube emulation to be fair, but I'm pretty sure widescreen on PS2 emulation is accomplished in a similar way (changing camera values etc).

Please do report your findings here! GameCube TP running well in widescreen would make it my definitive version, no contest.

televator

Well, all I can do is theorize right now and not very well since I'm no 1990's badass hacker wiz. lol So yeah, we'll see, and rest assured GAF, I'll report on pretty much every GC game I have... though it's not a large library, it does have many of the games most people would care about anyway.

Also, I found this video that goes into the user interface! http://youtu.be/Hz9fW6BovBc

I think wide screen is still doable over composite/S-video, but yeah, you'll definitely want a component solution to get more out of it with 480p.

I know for a fact that widescreen does work over composite/S-Video. It doesn't look pretty on an HDTV, I've found that using S-Video on an old EDTV (progressive scan 4:3 tube TV) looks the absolute best. Most pre-7th gen stuff looks better on it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Hey, gang. How was Star Fox Adventures? I never actually played it, but it seemed kinda cool... And it was supposed to be kinda Zelda-ish, right?

Hey, gang. How was Star Fox Adventures? I never actually played it, but it seemed kinda cool... And it was supposed to be kinda Zelda-ish, right?

One of my favorite GC games. Doesn't deserve the hate. Granted I have a lot of nostalgia for the titles my fond memories may be clouding judgement. Give it a try its sort of Zelda inspired.

IrishNinja

Irish check your PMs. I believe they're been re-issued, as I was able to buy one ew recently at a non-inflated price.

by the way, thanks for this! think i found one for $30 shipped, no SD card but those arent hard to come by. beats the six months i gave this chinese place to finally stock & sell the last one i ordered, heh

televator

Personally, it was disappointing... and trippy. It's like a bad game on acid. There were a few moments I remember where I was like "WTF am I seeing here?" Bizzarely enough, I can't remember a damned specific thing today. I traded the game in a month after release and never really said anything about. This is literally the first time I've ever tried to give an impression of my experience with it.

StingX2

A friend and I have been doing a play-through of all the mario titles because hes never played most of them and I've not collected all the coinage in the later mario titles. We are currently on Sunshine and collecting all the blue coins. I'm in disbelief on how insane these coins are, nintendo seriously couldn't have provided a counter? Some of the episode specific ones are insanity without a guide

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Is there any reason I should claim back my launch day US/JPN (with modified digital cable to get RGB scart and component 480p) GameCube that I lent to my brother ages ago (I ok'ed him to have it no problem) instead of keep using my soft modded Wii? Keep in mind I'm not interested in using the Gameboy player (it's laggy IMO) nor (unfortunately) I'd be able to play multiplayer TLZ4SA or FFCC.

Seik

Banned
What?! Forcing 16:9 on the Gamecube?!

Whaaaaat?! OK I'm in. These component cables need to be exploited more. My good old GC is unplugged since a few months, so I'm all hyped for giving it some spins! :D

So where can I find that Datel's Maxdrive Pro or EZ Flash or anything that could help me do this? I would do Twilight Princess once again in 16:9 on the GC, that's for sure.

kubus

Can you guys help me out finding one of these? Even eBay is ok, I can't seems to find 'me listed anywhere so I have no idea how much they're worth "new".
Shows up tons of results for me when I search on eBay with keywords "club nintendo mario controller".

Seems like it's around ~$100 for a new, boxed one.

Edit: Wait, the box is different from your picture but the controller looks the same? What am I missing here?

Top Bottom