• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

televator

What?! Forcing 16:9 on the Gamecube?!

Whaaaaat?! OK I'm in. These component cables need to be exploited more. My good old GC is unplugged since a few months, so I'm all hyped for giving it some spins! :D

So where can I find that Datel's Maxdrive Pro or EZ Flash or anything that could help me do this? I would do Twilight Princess once again in 16:9 on the GC, that's for sure.

This is what I went with: http://us.codejunkies.com/products/gcnwii-sd-media-launcher__ef000589.aspx

I feel it might be the easiest to use. Now keep in mind that this a bit of an unbeaten path. It took this long for any of us Retro GAFfers to bring up the subject. I can't guarantee satisfactory results as this is completely new to me as well.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Shows up tons of results for me when I search on eBay with keywords "club nintendo mario controller".

Seems like it's around ~$100 for a new, boxed one.

Edit: Wait, the box is different from your picture but the controller looks the same? What am I missing here?

First, thanks for trying to help!
Secondly: the one in my picture is the European Club Nintendo version which apparently was much more limited than the Japanese CN's release.
Never been able to find one listed (when I tried looking for it a few times).

Edit:
Finally found one that is still going for €108 shipped (UK only)!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mario-Gam...K_Controllers_Attachments&hash=item3f2bcf177a

Checking past auctions it seems very limited and selling between 100/150€ shipped depending on conditions.
I think I'm selling this ASAP. Selling that, GTA V (PS3) and my boxed GCN Broadband Adapter and I could grab a used WiiU with a couple of cheap games, damn. My only fear (thanks to selling Neo-Geo AES games for 1/10th of what they're going today a few years ago) is to see that rising a lot in value in the future, but I don't think it's that likely for an accessory especially considering there's many of the JPN version around.
What do you guys think?

Seik

Banned
This is what I went with: http://us.codejunkies.com/products/gcnwii-sd-media-launcher__ef000589.aspx

I feel it might be the easiest to use. Now keep in mind that this a bit of an unbeaten path. It took this long for any of us Retro GAFfers to bring up the subject. I can't guarantee satisfactory results as this is completely new to me as well.

It's all good, thanks a lot! Will buy later tonight after work probably! :D

Do you need to launch the game with the media launcher each time?

One thing I don't think I've seen in anyone's collection here is Bomberman Generation. I mean it was a gamecube exclusive that many people liked and even got an 81 on metacritic. Get on that shit, GAF.

How about this?

Bt2Vksf.jpg

Never posted here, but I have an extra GBA player if anyone's interested in it - confirmed to work as well.

On-topic - are there any reliable third-party controllers that you'd recommend? Nothing will be as good as a Wavebird or Nintendo controller, but I've had horrible experiences with everything else. Any suggestions?

Never posted here, but I have an extra GBA player if anyone's interested in it - confirmed to work as well.

On-topic - are there any reliable third-party controllers that you'd recommend? Nothing will be as good as a Wavebird or Nintendo controller, but I've had horrible experiences with everything else. Any suggestions?

You might want to check interest in the buy/trade sale thread if you don't have any biters on the GB Player in this thread.

As for good 3rd party accessories, Hori makes a good digital controller for 2D and Game Boy games, as well as a decent traditional dual analog controller called the Hori PadCube.

I love the original GCN controllers though. Aside from the small d-pad, the controller is quite comfortable.

You might want to check interest in the buy/trade sale thread if you don't have any biters on the GB Player in this thread.

As for good 3rd party accessories, Hori makes a good digital controller for 2D and Game Boy games, as well as a decent traditional dual analog controller called the Hori PadCube.

I love the original GCN controllers though. Aside from the small d-pad, the controller is quite comfortable.

Cheers. I've mentioned the player in the sell thread before, but thought there might be some other eyes here as well.

The Hori PadCube looks fantastic - never would have considered it without your suggestion.

televator

Media Launcher finally came in. I really need to see whats up with my paypal checkout, cuz it's fucking up my address every time.

Anyway I won't have time to try forcing Gamecube wide screen right now. Plus I wanna at leas find my camera's charger so I can post some pics.

Edit:

Okay, done! Twilight Princess Widescreen on Gamecube is go! That was much easier than I expected, but it wasn't perfect. It's very playable with no slowdown, but I'm having a really weird issue around water... reflections get all kinds of crazy around it. Hmmm... it might just be a setup option before launching the game with Swiss.

Unfortunately as I posses the uncanny ability to lose shit when I need it, I didn't have a camera to snap any pics.

televator

Okay so I can't seem to fix the bug in Twilight Princess as I'm currently running it from an original disk. What I've done is order a nice large class 10 SD card for me to try running it off the memory card itself and see if the high level patch setting plays nicer with the game.

In the meantime, I got well into Cubivore while forcing 16:9. It works really well with the minor quirk that the sky still render in a 4:3 box. I say it's minor because the camera in the game is usually pretty tight on ground and you can ignore the sky pretty well.

I'm gonna try some more games now that I've put down Cubivore and Geist. BTW my quick impressions of those 2 games is that they have interesting concepts but their novelty takes a sharp dive after a while. Cubivore starts to get too heavy on the color and shape combinations and it becomes cumbersome. Geist... I heard Nintendo once reffered to this as their "Halo killer".... oh boy. No. It's okay but it feels like a straight to home video action movie, puzzles are far too specific and anal about order [which makes it doubly disappointing, because it limits choices and freedom], and the music is heavily repetitive.

Rich!

Okay so I can't seem to fix the bug in Twilight Princess as I'm currently running it from an original disk. What I've done is order a nice large class 10 SD card for me to try running it off the memory card itself and see if the high level patch setting plays nicer with the game.

Why not just use a USB hard drive? I've got one with an 80gb partition for my Gamecube games, and it works like a dream.

SD card is definitely not the way to go. Well, unless you're using a Gamecube and not a Wii of course.

Zalman

So today I got a black Hori controller (don't ask me how much I paid...) as well as a few third party games I had missed, such as Spider-Man 2, SSX 3, and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3. Pretty much covered everything I wanted except for Fire Emblem, but that game goes for ridiculous prices on eBay. Not sure I will ever find a good deal on it.

IrishNinja

while i'm on an arcade stick kick (heh), was there a good one for GC/wii? i dont recall seeing many first party ones past the Super Advantage in the day

Hori released one for Gamecube in Soul Calibur 2 and unbranded flavors. I just used PS2 controller adapters and PS2 arcade sticks on my Wii/GCN.

Madcatz made a good stick for Wii but obviously it won't work on GCN games.

My collection. Not very big, but with the recent addition of Mega Man X Collection, I've finally completed my "list".
9xVZ43z.jpg

Pretty damn solid collection in my opinion!
Having a list is the best way to collect, helps prevent you from going crazy like I did and buying up a heap of games you never will play <_<

leroidys

I finally joined your ranks.

Although GC is one of my favorite consoles of all time, I have never actually owned one. Most of my time spent on it was a friend's in highschool, and then on my Wii since 2006.

Yesterday I saw one at goodwill with all the cables ziptied onto it, and in great shape. This is literally the first time I have ever seen a gamecube come with its cords, having seen dozens upon dozens in thrift stores.

I then walked next door to a local games shop and found Chibi Robo! complete for $23, one of the few gamecube games that I always intended to play, but never did.

I then went and ordered a GBA player off of ebay for $40. I have a huge gb/c/a collection so I'm most excited for this.

Now I just need to track down Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine, and Paper Mario.

Jungle Beat, Bongos, and GBA player not pictured.

Everything to the right of star fox was probably purchased in the last six months, most expensive and recent of which was Resident Evil Zero for $8. This thread makes me wish I bought everything I wanted to when gamestop started siphoning off Gamecube stuff awhile back. The gamecube, specifically Paper Mario got me back into gaming after I lapsed around 2000. Though I might get rid of Metroid Prime 2 because I already have the trilogy on the Wii and want more money for building up the collection.

Peagles

I'm thinking of installing a Wii Key Fusion into my second GameCube to play games from SD card... If I can find a good guide, I'll report back on my progress.

Peagles

awesome haul peagles, and you know you done good with that crazy keyboard/controller!

They all work fine even though there's light scratching on a couple. Had to give the keyboard a good clean it was kinda filthy, I must admit that was the sole reason I got that bundle, the keyboard controller is just so weird looking I had to have it! It also works fine as a standard controller too and is pretty comfy to use!

Borman

That was pretty interesting, i've always wondering how someone would get a dev console. Are they just assets sold when a company goes under? Same with prototype games.

Depends really. Some things get sold when the company closes, others walk out the door with a developer. Games the same. Some systems are sent to be recycled and "rescued" (which is popular with the 360). Magazines are a popular source for prototypes, though it becomes less common as time goes on (they are less likely to send disks now, all downloads or final copies if there are disks :().

Peagles

Question time!

My 'cube often (about 60-70% of the time) gives me a "NO disc" error when starting up. As in, it just goes straight to the menu instead of booting the game. If I open and shut the lid a few times I can usually get it to recognise the disc.

If I put my hand in and physically shift the laser along with my finger, it works after doing this, every time.

Does this mean the laser is fine but I need a new thingyjing that helps the laser actually move along the line? If so does anyone know what that is called and how to fix or replace it?

Yes I know never touch the laser bla bla bla but this 'cube only cost me a buck and I don't mind messing with it a bit.

Question time!

My 'cube often (about 60-70% of the time) gives me a "NO disc" error when starting up. As in, it just goes straight to the menu instead of booting the game. If I open and shut the lid a few times I can usually get it to recognise the disc.

If I put my hand in and physically shift the laser along with my finger, it works after doing this, every time.

Does this mean the laser is fine but I need a new thingyjing that helps the laser actually move along the line? If so does anyone know what that is called and how to fix or replace it?

Yes I know never touch the laser bla bla bla but this 'cube only cost me a buck and I don't mind messing with it a bit.

I had the exact same problem this year with my original 'Cube. With some discs it just straight up wouldn't work, unless I opened and closed the disc tray heaps of times until one time it read the disc and worked fine from that point forward.

I ended up going out and buying another GameCube.

I have for a long time had my Gamecube hooked up s-video to my trusty 27" JVC sdtv in a guest-room. Just last week the niece/nephew were playing Mario Kart DD and when I had a spare moment I played some P.N.03, with a dash of Fire Emblem inbetween.

Peagles

I had the exact same problem this year with my original 'Cube. With some discs it just straight up wouldn't work, unless I opened and closed the disc tray heaps of times until one time it read the disc and worked fine from that point forward.

I ended up going out and buying another GameCube.

Dang. Well my original is fine thankfully. I just wanna mess with this one since I have it here. I bought a Wiikey Fusion hoping I'd be smart enough to put it in there to replace the disc drive but it seems like compatibility may be an issue. I might just see if I can get SD loading working with a boot disc or something, once I get the disc issue sorted.

The eject button is kinda funky so I wonder if maybe it's not detecting that it's actually closed?

Does anyone know why the GameCube version of Mega Man X Collection is so much more expensive than the others? :(

I expect that the PS2 version had both a larger print run, and higher sales thanks to the much larger install base of the PS2.

I've got a copy on PS2, and haven't noticed any input lag whatsoever. I'm not SUPER sensitive to that though.

G0523

Does anyone know why the GameCube version of Mega Man X Collection is so much more expensive than the others? :(

I'm guessing it's because there aren't as many copies of the GameCube version as there are of the PS2 version.

But I will warn you: If you try to play Mega Man X Collection on your GameCube or Wii and you have it hooked up to your TV with component cables, you will have a lot of trouble. Capcom didn't upgrade the resolution to 480p for this collection.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm guessing it's because there aren't as many copies of the GameCube version as there are of the PS2 version.

But I will warn you: If you try to play Mega Man X Collection on your GameCube or Wii and you have it hooked up to your TV with component cables, you will have a lot of trouble. Capcom didn't upgrade the resolution to 480p for this collection.

Technically, 480p would've been a downgrade, as the scaling would have fucked up the sprites.

Either way, the PS2 version has no such issue via component.

Top Bottom