• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

Andrew.

Banned
Ive got the first Baten Kaitos coming in on Friday. I havent played it since around the time it released. Never finished it though and don't remember much besides the soundtrack being fucking unreal.

That Monolithsoft man...

Jamix012

Hey guys
Is there anyone out there that does custom gamecube cases for with the small disc space? All custom cases I find have the regular DVD sized compartment. It may be a small thing, but I guess I'm gonna be picky about this. Anyone know a place?

RdwlT8pl.jpg

Very happy to find these for this cheap after seeing how much they're going for nowadays.

Zalman

I loved Wonderful 101 will I like Viewtiful Joe?

Also were the gc DK games any good?
Viewtiful Joe and The Wonderful 101 play very differently, but they do have some similarities, which is obvious considering the dev team. I think you should give VJ a shot, it's a very fun game.

About Donkey Kong, the GameCube ones were nothing more than spin-offs, but they were very unique in many ways. If you don't mind the bongo controller, you should definitely try them out. Try to get at least one of the Donkey Konga games as well as Jungle Beat.

koopas

I picked up Smash Bros, Wave Race, Toadstool Tour, Luigi's Mansion and Mario Sunshine all boxed for $8.00 a piece. Wasn't even looking for GC games but couldn't pass those up.

Only one of the games are affected by this but MAN I hate the 'greatest hits' style boxes they went with that gen. Those ugly yellow borders are enough to ban all greatest hits from my shelf.

I picked up Smash Bros, Wave Race, Toadstool Tour, Luigi's Mansion and Mario Sunshine all boxed for $8.00 a piece. Wasn't even looking for GC games but couldn't pass those up.

Only one of the games are affected by this but MAN I hate the 'greatest hits' style boxes they went with that gen. Those ugly yellow borders are enough to ban all greatest hits from my shelf.

Seriously great pickups there! Definitely got your money's worth with those.

Speaking of the Player's Choice boxes, I really didn't like how they plastered that "Best Seller" logo all over some of the games, too. I have a non-Player's Choice copy of Smash that has it and a Player's Choice copy of Paper Mario that has it (why do you need Best Seller AND Player's Choice on a box?).

koopas

Thanks! I just checked and I left out FZero, another pick up today.

Seriously the gamecube players choice boxes are much much uglier then their counterparts. Im not even entirely against GH titles all together i think they can look nice for instance I like the look of the PS3 red case greatest hits. Those cases feel thicker and sturdier as well.

koopas

yeah, print out a high quality of the OG cover & make peace with it man!
You're a stronger man than I if you are to allow printed covers to sit amongst your collection. I'll be damned if my quality GC titles are going to share the same fate as my burned PS1 games circa 1998.

You're a stronger man than I if you are to allow printed covers to sit amongst your collection. I'll be damned if my quality GC titles are going to share the same fate as my burned PS1 games circa 1998.

lol, yeah, I did that for a cheap copy of Suikoden II I got a few years ago and was so OCD about it that I just sold the disc and bought a complete copy.

IrishNinja

ya'll trippin'. i do CIB when i can, but you're lookin at the spine 99% of the time; they're only ghetto as fuck if you print em out all faded & let me cut them diagonal-like, haha. what do you guys think people are using with Universal Game Cases, original art?

emb

ya'll trippin'. i do CIB when i can, but you're lookin at the spine 99% of the time; they're only ghetto as fuck if you print em out all faded & let me cut them diagonal-like, haha. what do you guys think people are using with Universal Game Cases, original art?
That's why I also don't use universal game cases. Well, almost.

A normal inkjet printer on normal paper will look really bad. Even if I were to go and get high quality prints close to the stuff used for inserts, I'll still always have this nagging feeling like the packaging is a fake. I wish I wasn't so picky, since UGCs actually look great imo. I just stick to cart only if the system used card board boxes, or try to find an actual CIB copy for stuff that used plastic cases.

The only systems that make me reconsider that so far are the Saturn and Sega CD. Those cases look nice, but they're honestly the worst things ever. So fragile, and they make it so hard (plus expensive) to find good games in good condition.

IrishNinja

That's why I also don't use universal game cases. Well, almost.

A normal inkjet printer on normal paper will look really bad. Even if I were to go and get high quality prints close to the stuff used for inserts, I'll still always have this nagging feeling like the packaging is a fake. I wish I wasn't so picky, since UGCs actually look great imo. I just stick to cart only if the system used card board boxes, or try to find an actual CIB copy for stuff that used plastic cases.

The only systems that make me reconsider that so far are the Saturn and Sega CD. Those cases look nice, but they're honestly the worst things ever. So fragile, and they make it so hard (plus expensive) to find good games in good condition.

haha to each their own; thankfully we're quite different here - i think the UGC box art looks really great, and i love that users work to keep original art & make it fit. I print from a really nice quality industrial one at work; the paper's okay stock but honestly, i tried a few a guy did for me on high stock/glossy paper and the way the lining looks/reflects, you can't actually tell.

and i'm prolly one of the few who's nostalgic for clunky-ass Sega-CD/Saturn boxes so i kinda prefer them to CD jewel cases where i can, heh. i guess i only go so far down the rabbit hole before i fear it gets into some ol' Ship of Theseus type shit which is troubling, haha.

so1337

I bought a brand new copy of 1080: Avalanche for 10 dollars this week (along with Super Punch Out!! Wii, Shadow of Rome and Silent Hill 3). Got in the mood to play some old games after AGDQ last week. Really wish I could play my Japanese copy of F-Zero GX right about now.

Weighing in on printed covers.
They are okay as a last resort but originals are better. #notcontroversial

Seriously, they can look alright. I did all my GB cassette cases on regular-ass paper with an inkjet, and they look pretty great. I think the relatively thick clear plastic helps mask the not-professional printing quality.

How good are 1080 and Wave race on the gamecube? I spent TONS of time on the N64 games but never heard much about the Cube sequels, wondering if they are worth adding to my wishlist.

Anyway, just finished adding all my games to Darkadia, wanted to share what I have and what I want, hopefully you guys can tell me about other games that are worthy of my wish list.

Have:

ARLC9Vx.jpg

Wishlist (games im looking to purchase to finalize my collection)

F-Zero GX
Zelda Wind Waker
Luigis mansion
Star Fox Assault
Rogue Squadron 3

edit: to be more specific, I mostly want games that are exclusive on the GameCube, no sports titles please.

D-e-f-

Banned
How good are 1080 and Wave race on the gamecube? I spent TONS of time on the N64 games but never heard much about the Cube sequels, wondering if they are worth adding to my wishlist.

Anyway, just finished adding all my games to Darkadia, wanted to share what I have and what I want, hopefully you guys can tell me about other games that are worthy of my wish list.

Have:

ARLC9Vx.jpg

F-Zero GX
Zelda Wind Waker
Luigis mansion
Star Fox Assault
Rogue Squadron 3

edit: to be more specific, I mostly want games that are exclusive on the GameCube, no sports titles please.

paper mario ttyd
baten kaitos
baten kaitos origins
p.n.03
pac man vs.
kirby air ride

never played 1080 avalanche so can't comment. but wave race blue storm falls a bit short of the greatness that was wave race 64. still fun unless you're super-picky. :)

Jamix012

Here are some you might consider
Bomberman Generation - An overlooked GC exclusive. A fun sequel to Bomberman 64
Baiten Kaitos (both of them) - While a lot of GAF don't like Eternal Wings and Lost Ocean, I'd recommend it if you don't mind bad voice acting and I'd especially recommend it if you have a significant other who enjoys watching or participating. My girlfriend loved watching me play EW&tLO, despite it's cheesiness and we had a great time.
Pokemon Colosseum/XD - They're actually good games, and if you have the tools and like the series you can transfer your mons from this game to the current gen (once pokemon bank is out.)
Paper Mario and the thousand year door - Yeah a lot of JRPGS, but this one is probably the best.
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle - The best version of the game available in physical format
Skies of Arcadia - Another JRPG, I'd say it's better than the DC version for the reduced random encounter rate
Fire Emblem: PoR - I guess if you don't like JRPGS, this list won't help you much.

paper mario ttyd
baten kaitos
baten kaitos origins
p.n.03
pac man vs.
kirby air ride

never played 1080 avalanche so can't comment. but wave race blue storm falls a bit short of the greatness that was wave race 64. still fun unless you're super-picky. :)

Thanks for the recommendations, after googling a bit, I am indeed interested in all of these.

Pac Man Vs cannot be played without a GameBoy player and it was designed by Miyamoto, daaaamn, really interested in that one now.

*------------------------

By the way, did the Gamecube had the best version of Mario Party??? Which one would it be?

Jamix012

Thanks for the recommendations, after googling a bit, I am indeed interested in all of these.

Pac Man Vs cannot be played without a GameBoy player and it was designed by Miyamoto, daaaamn, really interested in that one now.

*------------------------

By the way, did the Gamecube had the best version of Mario Party??? Which one would it be?

Eh I'd argue MP was best on the N64, but I still enjoyed MP4.

Here are some you might consider
Bomberman Generation - An overlooked GC exclusive. A fun sequel to Bomberman 64
Baiten Kaitos (both of them) - While a lot of GAF don't like Eternal Wings and Lost Ocean, I'd recommend it if you don't mind bad voice acting and I'd especially recommend it if you have a significant other who enjoys watching or participating. My girlfriend loved watching me play EW&tLO, despite it's cheesiness and we had a great time.
Pokemon Colosseum/XD - They're actually good games, and if you have the tools and like the series you can transfer your mons from this game to the current gen (once pokemon bank is out.)
Paper Mario and the thousand year door - Yeah a lot of JRPGS, but this one is probably the best.
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle - The best version of the game available in physical format
Skies of Arcadia - Another JRPG, I'd say it's better than the DC version for the reduced random encounter rate
Fire Emblem: PoR - I guess if you don't like JRPGS, this list won't help you much.

Wasnt a big fan of JRPG until I played Lost Odyssey, now im very interested in them so thanks for the recommendations.

I dont think im very interested in Bomberman but thanks for pointing it out.
Also not very interested in Pokemon Colloseum, I like the Pokemon RPGs in Gameboy/DS but was never a fan of just the fighting part, though now that I think about it, it might be fun to play the GBA Pokemons again on the go and then come home and match them against other ones, TO THE WISHLIST!

D-e-f-

Banned

Not a Game Boy Player but a Game Boy Advance plus GBA<>GCN Link Cable. One player uses the GBA like a Wii U GamePad and the other 1, 2 or 3 players play on the TV with normal GCN pads.

If you're into local co-op, consider getting Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles as well. But you need four GBAs plus link cables for that, sadly. Same for The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures.

Oh yea, and I forgot to mention Fire Emblem since I still don't have this myself. You said exclusives only but you'd be missing out on some great stuff (think Viewtiful Joe).

Not a Game Boy Player but a Game Boy Advance plus GBA<>GCN Link Cable. One player uses the GBA like a Wii U GamePad and the other 1, 2 or 3 players play on the TV with normal GCN pads.

If you're into local co-op, consider getting Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles as well. But you need four GBAs plus link cables for that, sadly. Same for The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures.

Oh yea, and I forgot to mention Fire Emblem since I still don't have this myself. You said exclusives only but you'd be missing out on some great stuff (think Viewtiful Joe).

While im really into local co op, I dont think I will ever have 4 GBAs to properly enjoy FF Crystal or Zelda, too hardcore lol

I will make sure to get stuff to play Pacman though :)

Should have been more specific, when I mean exclusives I meant to say, Exclusives and best ports that are not available on PC. So yeah Viewtiful Joe should be added to my wishlist for sure, any others in that vein?

So the best Mario Party for GC is 4 then? Im really into local co op, I have played tons of 7 at a mates house and its a lot of fun but would like to know is 4 is better to add to my collection.

Jamix012

Wasnt a big fan of JRPG until I played Lost Odyssey, now im very interested in them so thanks for the recommendations.

I dont think im very interested in Bomberman but thanks for pointing it out.
Also not very interested in Pokemon Colloseum, I like the Pokemon RPGs in Gameboy/DS but was never a fan of just the fighting part, though now that I think about it, it might be fun to play the GBA Pokemons again on the go and then come home and match them against other ones, TO THE WISHLIST!

Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD are their own RPGs. They're not like Pokemon Stadium or Battle revolution. They're a little different (in that the focus is stealing "shadow" pokemon from other trainers rather than finding wild pokemon), but they're still pretty fun.

Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD are their own RPGs. They're not like Pokemon Stadium or Battle revolution. They're a little different (in that the focus is stealing "shadow" pokemon from other trainers rather than finding wild pokemon), but they're still pretty fun.

Ohh interesting, will look for it then.

Looking through the Wiki I think I will get Mario Party 4 and 7, 7 has a weird feature where you can play with 8 local players, might be fun once in a while.

D-e-f-

Banned
While im really into local co op, I dont think I will ever have 4 GBAs to properly enjoy FF Crystal or Zelda, too hardcore lol

I will make sure to get stuff to play Pacman though :)

Should have been more specific, when I mean exclusives I meant to say, Exclusives and best ports that are not available on PC. So yeah Viewtiful Joe should be added to my wishlist for sure, any others in that vein?

Alrighty, then there are Tales of Symphonia (unless you have a PS3 and would consider the HD port which also includes a port of the direct Wii-sequel), Soul Calibur II, Beyond Good & Evil (unless you have a PS360 to download the HD port, again), Skies of Arcadia: Legends, The Simpsons Hit & Run and another exclusive I forgot to mention: Chibi Robo!

Alrighty, then there are Tales of Symphonia (unless you have a PS3 and would consider the HD port which also includes a port of the direct Wii-sequel), Soul Calibur II, Beyond Good & Evil (unless you have a PS360 to download the HD port, again), Skies of Arcadia: Legends, The Simpsons Hit & Run and another exclusive I forgot to mention: Chibi Robo!

Beyond good and evil, is it better than the version on Steam, I think I have it there.

Chibi Robo and the others go to the list for sure.

D-e-f-

Banned
Beyond good and evil, is it better than the version on Steam, I think I have it there.

If you'd rather play with a super comfortable controller than having a clean PC resolution then yea it's better. If you want to fight the apparently horrible kb/m controls then it's not. :)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
And there are Dolphin compatibility issues so that option is out the window too.

I guess you could map the keys to a controller on PC, but it wouldn't allow for analog movement. I've thought about selling my GC copy and replacing it with a PC one but I guess it's not worth it.

Peagles

Beyond Good & Evil is a 2003 game. There was no controller support.

That's a damn shame, you'd think they'd at least update it since the XBLA port came out.

Reading about it now apparently it's a pain in the butt even with stuff like motion joy and xpadder. Yeesh!

Beyond Good & Evil is a 2003 game. There was no controller support.

And there are Dolphin compatibility issues so that option is out the window too.

I guess you could map the keys to a controller on PC, but it wouldn't allow for analog movement. I've thought about selling my GC copy and replacing it with a PC one but I guess it's not worth it.

That's a damn shame, you'd think they'd at least update it since the XBLA port came out.

Reading about it now apparently it's a pain in the butt even with stuff like motion joy and xpadder. Yeesh!

Well that sucks, if it cant even be mapped with xpadder I guess I need to go with the cube version then.

Thanks guys

Codiox

Have:

ARLC9Vx.jpg

F-Zero GX
Zelda Wind Waker
Luigis mansion
Star Fox Assault
Rogue Squadron 3

1080 on GC is IMO the best snowboardgame ever,anf i played all the SSXs and shaun whites and what not.wave race is also the definite version on the cube. 1080 will always have a special place on my shell

Top Bottom