• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

Beyond Good & Evil is a 2003 game. There was no controller support.
That there is no controller support has nothing to do with that it released in 2003. Lots of PC games then had gamepad support; even Ubisoft did, in the PC port of Rayman 3 which released around that time. The PC port of BG&E was just really lazy.

Here's my GameCube with my favorite games for the system.

GameCube.jpg

I also own several sets of component cables for the console.

ComponentCables_zpsd9cac2e1.jpg

Got several GC Broadband Adapters back when Gamestop had 'em on sale for just a dollar.

DoubleDashLANParty-1.jpg

Blues1990

I'm trying to track down an Orange Nintendo Gamecube (along with a colour-coded GB Player), but I'm not having much luck with that. On the bright side, I was able to pick up two Wavebird controllers, which we're still in their packaging, for $10 dollars apiece.

Here are some of the games that I have for the system:

-Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
-Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2
-Skies of Arcadia
-Tales of Symphonia
-The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
-Paper Mario & the Thousand-Year Door
-F-Zero GX
-Soul Calibur II

Any tips or recommendations that you guys can give out?

Anth0ny

I'm trying to track down an Orange Nintendo Gamecube (along with a colour-coded GB Player), but I'm not having much luck with that. On the bright side, I was able to pick up two Wavebird controllers, which we're still in their packaging, for $10 dollars apiece.

I gotta tell ya, it's pretty terrific.

Here are some of the games that I have for the system:

-Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
-Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2
-Skies of Arcadia
-Tales of Symphonia
-The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
-Paper Mario & the Thousand-Year Door
-F-Zero GX
-Soul Calibur II

Any tips or recommendations that you guys can give out?

Good start, but you're missing the two best games on the console:

Super Smash Bros Melee
Resident Evil 4

Also, check REmake out!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
You know what .. I think I am pro-hangtab

Throwing out the GCN/Wii/U Club Nintendo inserts once redeemed. Thoughts?

I just put them back in the case, but I'll put them behind the manual. Unless there's like... a ton of shit stuffed in that part of the case. Sometimes there's some health advisory thing that's like 700 pages. Or maybe it's Wi-Fi nonsense. Who reads that? Until my games are liable to give me polio, I don't plan on giving anything even loosely resembling a fuck.

Blues1990

Super Smash Bros Melee
Resident Evil 4

Also, check REmake out!

Awww, lucky duck. How did you acquire one for yourself? Also, I'm actually trying to track down the Resident Evil Remake, but I'll see if I can find a copy of Resident Evil 4. Super Smash Bros. Melee is not exactly a priority right now, but I'll consider pick it up if I can't find the RER or RE4.

Anth0ny

Awww, lucky duck. How did you acquire one for yourself? Also, I'm actually trying to track down the Resident Evil Remake, but I'll see if I can find a copy of Resident Evil 4. Super Smash Bros. Melee is not exactly a priority right now, but I'll consider pick it up if I can't find the RER or RE4.

ebay ebay and more ebay. Managed to find the Gamecube, GB Player and GBA for less than they usually go for in auctions rather than buy it nows.

I've had the orange controller since 2003 ^_^

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Did anyone ever have a LAN party for Double Dash? I did it a couple of times, and that game is actually really fun with eight people. I think that was the only game you could use LAN with on the Gamecube, though.

Jamix012

Did anyone ever have a LAN party for Double Dash? I did it a couple of times, and that game is actually really fun with eight people. I think that was the only game you could use LAN with on the Gamecube, though.

I think 1080 and Kirby's Air Ride supports it too from something I read once. Technically GBA games running on multiple GB players could also count as LAN :p The only time I experienced this sort of thing was I once saw Four Swords Adventures being played on 5 TVs (1 Running the GC game and the other 4 acting as the GBA through the GB Player. Was really neat.

Codiox

I think 1080 and Kirby's Air Ride supports it too from something I read once. Technically GBA games running on multiple GB players could also count as LAN :p The only time I experienced this sort of thing was I once saw Four Swords Adventures being played on 5 TVs (1 Running the GC game and the other 4 acting as the GBA through the GB Player. Was really neat.

1080 def. Had LAN

D-e-f-

Banned
And still even the console versions have no inverted look. :( I've never been able to play it.

I am openly inverted but I don't even remember having issues there. Granted, I've only played the opening. Have to boot up the HD port on 360 to see if they fixed that...

That there is no controller support has nothing to do with that it released in 2003. Lots of PC games then had gamepad support; even Ubisoft did, in the PC port of Rayman 3 which released around that time. The PC port of BG&E was just really lazy.

I know this. I was just irritated because it sounded like just because it was on steam and a console title it should have controller support.

1080 def. Had LAN

Kirby Air Ride also 100% sure.

koopas

And yes Kirby Air Ride wasn't Mariokart by any stretch, but I remember having fun with that game. I never thought an on rails racing game could work but it does and is quite fun as well.

Those with really young children I think could really benefit from owning that game.

daaaamn, never knew GS carried used component cables, or broadband adapters...props!
Yeah, when they were trying to clear out their GameCube stock they started selling component cables and BB Adapters at ridiculously low prices.

Isn't it a shame that F-Zero GX didn't support LAN? We can only dream.

F-ZEROGXNetwork.jpg

BTW, I got my Wavebirds for just $17 a piece from Gamestop too.

PlatinumWavebirds.jpg

I took all of them apart and cleaned everything off to get them as pristine as possible.

GreyWavebird.jpg

I know this. I was just irritated because it sounded like just because it was on steam and a console title it should have controller support.
It definitely should have had controller support. Digital-only movement in a game like that is ridiculous, it didn't work very well at all and makes the game harder than it should be. This doesn't matter now, but on my computer from the early '00s the game ran pretty badly compared to other titles (like Rayman 3) with similar graphics, too. And in the digital re-release did they even fix that major bug which can corrupt your save right near the end of the game? I doubt it...

yeah, i would've enjoyed sucking online, haha...what games did, though? PSO is the only one i can name offhand.

Kirby's Air Ride, 1080 Avalanche, and Mario Kart Double Dash are the only two games that support LAN (direct cable connecting systems) play. PSO I+II, PSO I+II Plus, PSO III, and Homeland (JP only) support online play. I know that the PSO games were saved and you can still play those online (via schthack, their website explains how to set it up), but I don't know about Homeland. And that's everything.

IrishNinja

damn, i don't even have Air Ride so barring a big Double Dash LAN match, i can't justify a BB adapter unless it's on the cheap. still, it looks cool to have in the system!

G0523

damn, i don't even have Air Ride so barring a big Double Dash LAN match, i can't justify a BB adapter unless it's on the cheap. still, it looks cool to have in the system!

If I saw a fully decked out GameCube in person with the Broadband Adapter, Game Boy Player, and 4 Wavebird receivers on it, I would crap my pants. I always wanted to "build" one just for cosmetic purposes but my GameCube died before I could get a chance to. Does anyone have a picture of a full decked out GameCube?

leroidys

Super Smash Bros Melee
Resident Evil 4

Also, check REmake out!

That is seriously awesome. Well done. Makes me want to track down a black GBA to complete my set.

koopas

If I saw a fully decked out GameCube in person with the Broadband Adapter, Game Boy Player, and 4 Wavebird receivers on it, I would crap my pants. I always wanted to "build" one just for cosmetic purposes but my GameCube died before I could get a chance to. Does anyone have a picture of a full decked out GameCube?
On a Panasonic Q would make it fully decked out.

RetroGreg

This has to be one of my favorite threads on GAF. I love seeing all this GameCube enthusiasm. We needed more of you 10 years ago!!!

Stencil

I sold off most all my GCN games... I don't necessarily regret it, seeing as how Pikmin 1 & 2 got remade for Wii, and I kept the Gameboy Player, Luigi's Mansion, Metroid Prime, REmake, Killer 7 and SSB:M. But what the hell, why did I sell off Twilight Princess?? And Super Monkey Ball... And Viewtiful Joe... And F-Zero GX... And Tales of Symphonia. I didn't even play that one!

Also, my younger sister was at a frat party last year, and she said one of the frat bros there pissed her off, and as she was leaving the party she noticed they had a GCN and 4 wavebirds just sitting in a grocery bag on the kitchen table, so she brought it home and gave it to me. I was flabbergasted, she's such a good citizen, but here she was, frattin' out, stealin' and shit. I was happy to learn, though, that she knew no remorse in a situation where I ended up with 4 wavebirds. I kept the wavebirds and sold the console as I had one already.

edit: Also, on the topic of GCN love, I had my first wet dream when I was 12 and it was about a Panasonic Q. Mmm... Still kinda want one.

Kokonoe

Banned
Here's my GameCube with my favorite games for the system.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/Grizzmeister/GameCube.jpg[/MG]

I also own several sets of component cables for the console.

[IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/Grizzmeister/ComponentCables_zpsd9cac2e1.jpg[G]

Got several GC Broadband Adapters back when Gamestop had 'em on sale for just a dollar.

[IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/Grizzmeister/DoubleDashLANParty-1.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]

So jealous. Gamecube is probably my most played console but those component cables are too expensive for me to pick up. Maybe I'll get some someday.

Peagles

So jealous. Gamecube is probably my most played console but those component cables are too expensive for me to pick up. Maybe I'll get some someday.

Damn, I feel bad for you guys outside of NZ/Aus. I was rearranging my collection today and realised I have three of the things. That's just in our apartment too; I think there is at least one more set back at home.

Look at my pictures again and you'll see I have all those things. If it's too hard to tell I'll re-photograph.

koopas

The PQ-specific component cables and GBA player are super rare right? Truly some belonged out shit.
Yes, apparently from what I've heard as well that console is extremely fragile. Like, will most likely break being shipped from Japan fragile.

The only benefit is dvd playback right? (And I guess dat chrome)

Danny Dudekisser

Yes, apparently from what I've heard as well that console is extremely fragile. Like, will most likely break being shipped from Japan fragile.

The only benefit is dvd playback right? (And I guess dat chrome)

It was also the only version of the Gamecube with optical audio output.

I'm not sure how big of a benefit that actually is, though. Oddly enough, I've never actually hooked my GC up to a decent sound system, so I have no idea how the DAC on that thing is.

Jamix012

Apparantly the PQ was really easy to pirate for too relative to the regular cube. I'd never do it personally, but if we're talking about why people bought it sometimes...

EmiPrime

It was also the only version of the Gamecube with optical audio output.

I'm not sure how big of a benefit that actually is, though. Oddly enough, I've never actually hooked my GC up to a decent sound system, so I have no idea how the DAC on that thing is.

I am fairly sure that the optical port doesn't work in game mode though.

I have seen the Q in person and honestly it's not that impressive and the Gameboy Player looks kind of goofy underneath it.

Apparantly the PQ was really easy to pirate for too relative to the regular cube. I'd never do it personally, but if we're talking about why people bought it sometimes...

People bought it for the prestige not for piracy.

Piracy on the Gamecube requires a modchip whether you use a Q or a normal Gamecube.

Kokonoe

Banned
I bought one to send to a US gaffer here, but with the international postage from Aussie to here, then again from here to the US, it ended up being about $90 USD if I remember right. Better than eBay though I guess.

I think what I'm going to do since I can't afford actual GC component cables is to get a Wii since component is cheaper on that. 480p on Wii is better than nothing.

igor

Also, my younger sister was at a frat party last year, and she said one of the frat bros there pissed her off, and as she was leaving the party she noticed they had a GCN and 4 wavebirds just sitting in a grocery bag on the kitchen table, so she brought it home and gave it to me. I was flabbergasted, she's such a good citizen, but here she was, frattin' out, stealin' and shit. I was happy to learn, though, that she knew no remorse in a situation where I ended up with 4 wavebirds. I kept the wavebirds and sold the console as I had one already.

God bless your sister. What a hero :O

I also sold off most of my collection when I was younger and boy that was stupid. Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4, Viewtiful Joe (which both were too difficult to me at the time...), Animal Crossing, Wave Racer (which I recently bought again, had to. My first game on the platform), Bloody Roar (which I regret getting rid of the most actually) and tens of other games that I don't have time to remember now. All for pocket money for summer holidays... I can't believe I wasted all this money for alcopops. I was 14 okay? God I just painted an abysmal picture of my teenage self there!

I guess I need to get F-Zero GX, Bloody Roar and get my hands on a Wavebird. Are they cheap enough in US? European retro gear tends to be rather expensive...

Danny Dudekisser

Hey guys I've been thinking about picking up Doshin the Giant, any opinions on it? It got a PAL release my plan is to import.

It's kinda boring. It's an amusing game to read about, just because it's kinda out there and because Doshin was originally on the 64DD... but that's about it. The game itself is plodding and generally not too enjoyable.

koopas

I think what I'm going to do since I can't afford actual GC component cables is to get a Wii since component is cheaper on that. 480p on Wii is better than nothing.
Now call me crazy, but someone had mentioned to me that the graphics chip or something in the GCN makes 480p on it look much better then the Wii and having seen both I'm thinking that's true.

Or they both look the same and I want to believe GCN looks better to justify the purchase of the component cables lol.

Jamix012

It's kinda boring. It's an amusing game to read about, just because it's kinda out there and because Doshin was originally on the 64DD... but that's about it. The game itself is plodding and generally not too enjoyable.

Ah ok, thanks. May pick it up later rather than sooner then.

People bought it for the prestige not for piracy.

Piracy on the Gamecube requires a modchip whether you use a Q or a normal Gamecube.

I don't disagree that prestige was a driving force for buying it. And yes you needed a modchip. but once you had a modchip I've heard of at least a few japanese people buying it because you could literally burn GC roms to DVDs.

Danny Dudekisser

Now call me crazy, but someone had mentioned to me that the graphics chip or something in the GCN makes 480p on it look much better then the Wii and having seen both I'm thinking that's true.

Or they both look the same and I want to believe GCN looks better to justify the purchase of the component cables lol.

That was probably me.

I should really take new comparison shots. I have all the time in the world tomorrow, so maybe I'll do that. Though my selection of GC games is pretty... limited :(

I really have to fix my collection.

I love the gamecube. My finest find was last year - $80 for a gamecube with Broadband adapter, game boy player, Component cables, and about 40 games. And an action replay with the memory card.

All but about 4 of the games were shit racing and 3rd party games and I sold them all.

still best findfor the component cables.

i just sold the broadband adapter for $65 too. had no use for it.

IrishNinja

Hey guys I've been thinking about picking up Doshin the Giant, any opinions on it? It got a PAL release my plan is to import.

i picked up a copy in the UK for like $5...i think my man chacras is a bit harsh but honestly, i dug it for what it was but don't revisit it often. it's worth hitting up on the cheap, but as i recall, it takes quite a bit of room on the memory card so bear that in mind!

That was probably me.

I should really take new comparison shots. I have all the time in the world tomorrow, so maybe I'll do that. Though my selection of GC games is pretty... limited :(

I really have to fix my collection.

yeah i think you were one of the dues planting this seed way back, and having both systems to compare now, maybe it's some placebo shit you get after investing in GC component cables but i swear i can see it. Wii has better homebrew/etc but since i got a freeloader for GC, that plus GBA player pushes it over in my mind. IQ on stuff like F-Zero GX is just incredible.

Danny Dudekisser

IQ on stuff like F-Zero GX is just incredible.

Image quality on the GC, just in general, is really good. Maybe it's because I'm used to the PS2, but man... ever since I started playing GC games via component, I've been wondering why, exactly, we needed a new gen. of systems. I'm planning to finally open up my component box for the Xbox tomorrow, so I'm sure my mind will just be blown once again.

Gen 6, man. Gen fucking 6.

Top Bottom