• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

HYDE

Banned
Love the GameCube. I've put my GameCube collection away but I'm always buying new games.

Some stuff you dudes and dudettes may like.
mJ6ZFJc.jpg

Japanese GameCube games:
Zelda: Wind Waker (Takt of Wind)

Any chance you'd post all the inserts disc etc...for Wind Waker?

The GC and Xbox versions have four player splitscreen multiplayer, while on PS2 it is two player only -- just like XG3, which is four player on GC and two player on PS2. Also I imagine the graphics probably look slightly better on GC, though I don't have it for any other systems. Going by reviews, the GC version has a better framerate than the PS2 version, but the Xbox version has that better framerate too and also slightly better graphics.

Also, apart from the top four, that list isn't in a definite order. XGRA could go in 5th, for instance; the game is my favorite 6th gen racing game, after all... And I'm still thinking of listing all of the other GC games I like. :)

Damn, seems I might have to look into getting it for Xbox then, thanks for looking it up.

That's how I feel about Sunshine! Better in every way!

Thats insane, Sunshine is not better than Galaxy but it still is a really good game, I love it to death.

Pssh! A lot of people loved Mario Sunshine, don't let GAF fool you! Sunshine > Galaxy any day of the week!

I love Sunshine, and it might just be my favourite, but I know that it's mainly for nostalgic reasons. It was the first 3D Mario I got to play to completion, thanks to only owning an N64 for a short time.

I think that Galaxy is actually a better game overall though, it just doesn't hold the same place in my memory.

alf717

Is it common for GameCube disc labels to begin to peel after time? This has been happening to my Twin Snakes disc 1 for years. I first noticed it about a year or so after purchasing the game and this was back when the game released. Still works but it worries me. I ended up purchasing a back up just in case. I did a search and found a similar thread about this over at Nintendo's own forums and the user had the same issue as me with Twin Snakes.

Now my RE4 is doing this. Am I the only one getting this? Why it this happening to my collection. I'll try and post a disc later today.

alf717

Same shit happened to my MGS disc 1, which I bought new in 2005. I take great care of my games, so perhaps a manufacture issue?. Resident Evil 4 is good as new, and so are the rest of my GCN discs.

Just glad to know it isn't just me. I keep all my games in their cases and all games were purchased brand new upon release. I know for sure Metal Gear still works but I haven't tested RE4 in a while. I bought a replacement copy to Metal Gear way back just to be safe and that copy is fine. All other games are fine. It just sucks cause I love collecting and this just drives me nuts. Both of my games seem to be peeling at that inner bump on the disc.

Seik

Banned
My MGS discs have the same shit. :(

I guess it's only with this game as well because all the others are in perfect shape.

Gasmeter

Banned
I went travelling from Ireland to Australia last year and lived in Sydney with a few Chilean friends I met. They had brought a GameCube with them on their travels and I bought it off them since they were leaving. Turned out it was modded to play unofficial games. I loved the dam thing and played it everyday! Anyways I returned to Ireland before Christmas and i left the damn thing in the apartment in Sydney. I am now trying my hardest to get one of the new Tennant's to post me the console to Ireland but he is being an ass and not doing it. Gutted!!!

FSLink

Banned
I think you're looking for Freeloader which lets you play games region-free. Buying a copy of Action Replay also comes with Freeloader.

I'm aware, I'm just not sure if there's a JP version for it (or if the disks are region free), I've only own a Freeloader and Action Replay for my US GC.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Hey guys, how're the Lost Kingdom games? Been thinking about picking them up, but don't really know much about them.

Short and sweet with nice replay value to get your cards. They have some flaws but the games are likeable. I personally play them yearly.
It takes like 8-10 hours or so to beat each game.

This is what is happening.

Holy crap, that's frightening. I mean, disc rot is a thing but this is way too quick!
The way it's kinda peeled back makes me think maybe it's an issue of heat based expansion possibly, that's my best theory :\

If it is a manufacturing issue, it couldn't have happened to a worse disc, one of the hardest discs to get a hold of and now a bunch are being ruined!

[EDIT]
Just frantically checked my discs, and they're fine. Mine's a PAL Player's Choice pressing, different artwork to the US discs so maybe they don't have the same problem.

I just checked my twin snakes disk, and its starting to do the same, but it currently only has a tiny little crack. In fact I didn't notice until this thread. One thing though, is it hasn't been stored very well. I bought it used at gamestop and it doesn't even have the correct case meant for two disks.

qq more

I kind of want to get back into collecting Gamecube games since I've missed out so much on the system. Over the years I've lost some of my games and I'm kind of rebuilding the collection w/ games I've never own before (like Sunshine)

So far I have:
Super Mario Sunshine
Luigi's Mansion
Wario World
Zelda Wind Waker
Paper Mario Thousand Year Door
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes
Mega Man Network Transmission

lost my copy of Melee then noticed they go for 50 dollars.. yikes! D:

Anth0ny

I kind of want to get back into collecting Gamecube games since I've missed out so much on the system. Over the years I've lost some of my games and I'm kind of rebuilding the collection w/ games I've never own before (like Sunshine)

So far I have:
Super Mario Sunshine
Luigi's Mansion
Wario World
Zelda Wind Waker
Paper Mario Thousand Year Door
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes
Mega Man Network Transmission

lost my copy of Melee then noticed they go for 50 dollars.. yikes! D:

Resident Evil

Fourrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Damn I wanna check my Twin Snakes now, like most of my games that gen, its a NTSC copy. Its packed away and guarded by a spider though.

I could defeat the thing in combat but I like it protecting my games. Perhaps I can beat it in a riddle battle instead and it will let me check at least.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
I'm aware, I'm just not sure if there's a JP version for it (or if the disks are region free), I've only own a Freeloader and Action Replay for my US GC.

I wanna say that I do recall there being a version of the GameCube Freeloader specifically for Japanese region consoles; at the very least, I know that's the case with the Wii edition, even if that software doesn't work with GameCube games. I did a quick search for it in Japanese and it seems like a version was indeed manufactured for that region specifically, although I can't find any pictorial evidence. That being said, it does look like at least some versions of Freeloader are region free from what I read. As someone who owned one early on, I don't remember if that's always been the case or if it was added in later versions, but they spell out which consoles it's compatible with on the back of the box, so if you're thinking of ordering one, you should be good to go as long as you can verify that bit.

D-e-f-

Banned
I wanna say that I do recall there being a version of the GameCube Freeloader specifically for Japanese region consoles; at the very least, I know that's the case with the Wii edition, even if that software doesn't work with GameCube games. I did a quick search for it in Japanese and it seems like a version was indeed manufactured for that region specifically, although I can't find any pictorial evidence. That being said, it does look like at least some versions of Freeloader are region free from what I read. As someone who owned one early on, I don't remember if that's always been the case or if it was added in later versions, but they spell out which consoles it's compatible with on the back of the box, so if you're thinking of ordering one, you should be good to go as long as you can verify that bit.

You're right. I checked my GCN Freeloader and it says "For European Console" on the box and disc and even on the manual. On the back of the manual it says "Compatible with PAL televisions and game systems only"

This is the 2006 revision by the way, which has a "Works with Wii" logo on the box and comes with an insert that explains how it works on Wii. UPC: 7194801 548687

ballerusk

Love the GameCube. I've put my GameCube collection away but I'm always buying new games.

Some stuff you dudes and dudettes may like.
mJ6ZFJc.jpg

Japanese GameCube games:
Zelda: Wind Waker (Takt of Wind)
Smash Bros Melee: Smash Bros DX
Cubivore: Dobutsu Bancho
Kirby Air Ride (sealed)
Viewtiful Joe
Viewtiful Joe 2 (sealed)
Shikigami no Shiro II: Comes in a large box with a small cat figure.

Awesome :) I'm about 99 games short of a complete Japanese GC games-collection now, but I'm not in a hurry. Eventually I think I will have to go to Japan at some point to find the last ones, haha.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Brand new, 1st party Cube controllers (white) available on amazon for $30.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017KIBAI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Whoa, holy shit. Thanks for the heads up - I had no idea GC controllers were still reasonably priced, let alone the white ones. My controllers are pretty beat up by this point, so now might be a good time to replace them.

I should probably get two, just in case someday, I have a friend who wants to play Beach Spikers with me.

ILHASS

Right there with you man. Right there. With you.
have it, bought one for 250$. And when i plug it to my 50 panasonic plasma i wasn't so happy..you know 480p always 480p) RE4 looks terrible, metroid peime...ok. REmake just horrible casue of prerendered environment. Only Twin Snakes looks good..For 250$ - totally unworthy

Not sure why anyone would spend hundreds of dollars on a GameCube component cable when you could just buy a backwards compatible Wii for $50 or less. Seems like a waste of money, honestly.

What does everyone think about Fire Emblem Path of Radiance? I've owned it for a very long time now, I think I got it when it wasn't rare or something because I don't remember going through any hurdles at all for it. Turns out now its super rare and expensive though, IIRC so the fact that I haven't really played it past the opening mission is something that is pretty bad and would surely invoke the ire of those who covet that game.

Not sure why anyone would spend hundreds of dollars on a GameCube component cable when you could just buy a backwards compatible Wii for $50 or less. Seems like a waste of money, honestly.

What does everyone think about Fire Emblem Path of Radiance? I've owned it for a very long time now, I think I got it when it wasn't rare or something because I don't remember going through any hurdles at all for it. Turns out now its super rare and expensive though, IIRC so the fact that I haven't really played it past the opening mission is something that is pretty bad and would surely invoke the ire of those who covet that game.

I paid $30 for my copy of FE from an amazon seller around 07 or 08. I sure lucked out on that buy.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Is Tales of Symphonia even worth getting for the Gamecube anymore with that new PS3 release? I mean either it's pay $40 or so for 1 game or get 2 games in 1 for that much.

Is Tales of Symphonia even worth getting for the Gamecube anymore with that new PS3 release? I mean either it's pay $40 or so for 1 game or get 2 games in 1 for that much.

The PS3 HD version is unfortuately based on the PS2 version of ToS, which has lower quality assets then the GCN version. Only other difference to consider is controller preference.

Top Bottom