• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

baphomet

Just looking better than composite means nothing when a svideo still looks awful. High end cables on a high end CRT is still a blurry mess.

Jamix012

I wish I could show pics, but for 480i games, S Video looks pretty indistinguishable from component if you have a good S video cable. Composite looks like 100% ass. My girlfriend doesn't care about image quality 99% of the time and we swapped out from composite to s-video and back to composite to test and she couldn't play it because it was disgusting.
Edit:
Someone Else did the comparison for me.
Composite:
ww2_480i_rca.jpg

S Video:
ww3_480i_svid.jpg

Jamix012

Colours look a little better bit svid still looks pretty yuck. Tolerable on a crt though I guess.

To me it's night and day. Obviously component does a better job for 480p (so yeah, for wind waker it'd be a valid desire to want component cables) but games that don't support it are pretty much indistinguishable between S video and component.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
To me it's night and day. Obviously component does a better job for 480p (so yeah, for wind waker it'd be a valid desire to want component cables) but games that don't support it are pretty much indistinguishable between S video and component.

When most games support 480p, though...

Why are GC component cables so bloody expensive? $200 for those things...

I am surprised that there are no 3rd party alternatives.

Then again, only reason I want them is for my GBA player. I can always play GC games on my Wii.

I actually have Skies of Arcadia on the GC, but it is owned by my friend. I am reminded again that I borrowed it from him almost 10 years ago. Need to tell him again that it is with me, lol.

If you're in Australia, Nintendo AU has them if you call, $46 posted.

TnK

Official S-video cables are expensive too. Usually $50+.

There are a lot of third party ones but they are usually crappy composite+S-video combo cables that just send a composite-quality signal over Y/C, making the difference negligible.

Nintendo are dumb and put the hardware for 480p output INSIDE the cable. Because Nintendo never released the info about the chip no third parties could make component cables. Maybe someday it will be reverse engineered and some sketchy company will make reproduction component cables, but who knows.

And GC component provides a better picture than Wii component, there are some comparisons floating around in this thread. If you can't get GC component cables Wii is the next best option.
Wait, third party s-video cables suck? Bought a really cheap cable on ebay, and waiting for it to arrive. I regret that decision more and more these days. Also, lol @ nintendo. A friend told me that they sold it via the online store only. Time to look for the official ones then, lol.

If you're in Australia, Nintendo AU has them if you call, $46 posted.
So, who here is a really nice person from australia that is willing to buy the cable for me? Would pay for the cables and shipping :D

Tablo

Woah can we get some Ausgaffers to hook us up with these cables??? I would gladly pay a premium over the 46$ to ship to Cali!!! this is srs business.

Tablo

Nintendo are dumb and put the hardware for 480p output INSIDE the cable. Because Nintendo never released the info about the chip no third parties could make component cables. Maybe someday it will be reverse engineered and some sketchy company will make reproduction component cables, but who knows.

This shit makes my blood boil, why the fuck would you do that, with that being said why the fuck would they not release that info some 13 years later if they decided to stop profitting and producing that chip???
At some point do the patents or secrecy on this stuff expire? The GameCube in its finest form deserves to live on forever D:

TnK

Been reading about the s-video cables and all, and it seems that most 3rd party stuff out there is crap tier. Anyone know a good 3rd party brand?

Peagles

We'll I'm just going by your pictures up there, so maybe they don't show the difference very well. We need an RGB SCART and component shot for comparison :p

TnK

I bought a Monster S-video cable and it seemed decent enough.
Monster s-video cable has a really good insulation of the signals. I was searching for that just now, but couldn't find it.

Bought official nintendo s-video cables just now of ebay for 19$, wohoo. The cable is only the black input for video (without yellow), and both mono and stereo sound inputs. What is the main difference between the ones that have the yellow composite video signal, and the one that does not?

TnK

You can still plug it in composite when you carry it by the handle to a friend's house?
That's it? Wait, I thought the video signal is split in both cables. Now I am confused on why the official nintendo cable only has one inpit for the video.

Tablo

If you're going to get a PVM, your best bet might be to buy a PAL GameCube and use RGB SCART, it can't do progressive but you can seldom do that on a PVM anyway, and it'll be a lot cheaper than buying a component cable.

Well I just threw PVM out there because I heard they were pretty good, not buying a PAL gamecube lol. Already have a NA one and an older Wii, and buying gamecubes off friends for cheap if they have them. S video seems to be the viable option unless I magically procure a Gamecube with component out and get the cables.
Link where I can buy official S video anyone?

Mzo

That's it? Wait, I thought the video signal is split in both cables. Now I am confused on why the official nintendo cable only has one inpit for the video.

For video, you either plug in the yellow composite cable (all the video info in one cable) or you try to plug in the weird s-video cable every way you can until you bend a pin, line up the plastic tab on the inside, or realize there's an arrow cut into the plug to help orient yourself and finally manage to receive a video signal that separates the luma and chroma signal for a better overall image.

You'd never plug the two at once. If it has both, it only offers the convenience of being able to use one or the other.

TnK

The more you know I guess. Thank you for that info Mzo.

Christopher, still waiting for your reply on those said GC games.

Peagles

Well I just threw PVM out there because I heard they were pretty good, not buying a PAL gamecube lol. Already have a NA one and an older Wii, and buying gamecubes off friends for cheap if they have them. S video seems to be the viable option unless I magically procure a Gamecube with component out and get the cables.
Link where I can buy official S video anyone?

Buying a PAL Gamecube isn't so lol compared to buying a component cable, lol.

I'm pretty sure even an official S-Video cable will set you back a bit these days too.

I'd just use your Wii with component cables. If you need to use any Gamecube features (GB Player for eg) just stick with S-Video (a good third party cable should suffice).

nawz

Banned
Nintendo should bring back battalion wars and heavily emphasise on its multiplayer capabilities. That game was awesome.

koopas

Nintendo should bring back battalion wars and heavily emphasise on its multiplayer capabilities. That game was awesome.

I'm pretty sure the sales for this series has been less than stellar, there's one for Wii I believe. There are many many other Nintendo Franchises I'd rather see go hard with mulitplayer (Come on F-Zero + Star Fox ...)

Tablo

Buying a PAL Gamecube isn't so lol compared to buying a component cable, lol.

I'm pretty sure even an official S-Video cable will set you back a bit these days too.

I'd just use your Wii with component cables. If you need to use any Gamecube features (GB Player for eg) just stick with S-Video (a good third party cable should suffice).

So how much would it cost to get a PAL GameCube and necessary cables?
(Thanks for the info :) )
Also GameCube S-Video vs Wii Component?
Links for all this stuff would be great XD
What GC S-Video cable, also do I need the official Wii Component cable, it's like 30$ on Amazon. Also how can I tell on Amazon if the Wii they sell is BC? It's like 280$.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I can only assume he's referring to a new one.

You can tell by the box, original Wii box had the console standing upright, revised Wii box has the console sitting horizontally. You can't really trust pictures online unless it's a photo of the product you're going to receive since the seller might just be using a stock picture.

Jonboy

This shit makes my blood boil, why the fuck would you do that, with that being said why the fuck would they not release that info some 13 years later if they decided to stop profitting and producing that chip???
At some point do the patents or secrecy on this stuff expire? The GameCube in its finest form deserves to live on forever D:
Yep. It's certainly annoying. An even better question though is who are these mysterious eBay sellers out of japan who seem to have an unlimited supply of the boxed component cables? Makes you wonder...

Danny Dudekisser

Yep. It's certainly annoying. An even better question though is who are these mysterious eBay sellers out of japan who seem to have an unlimited supply of the boxed component cables? Makes you wonder...

Sometimes, they're just in Japan, and they know they can get component cables from one of the stores over there. They don't actually have them on hand.

D-e-f-

Banned
I can only assume he's referring to a new one.

You can tell by the box, original Wii box had the console standing upright, revised Wii box has the console sitting horizontally. You can't really trust pictures online unless it's a photo of the product you're going to receive since the seller might just be using a stock picture.

To help illustrate this point:

Does support GameCube backwards compatibility ->

Does NOT support GCN bc ->

solomon

While it was hassle to get everything to fit (so much plastic was gutted, and had to remove the companies logo in the center) I was able to use a fake controller shell and make it legit with official parts. Also added the classic controller analog, feels so much better.
64YUUjx.jpg

I had to pick between a red or pink shell, wen't with something more unique and since I main peach in melee/brawl and PM it only made sense.

Danny Dudekisser

Wile it was hassle to get everything to fit (so much plastic was gutted, and had to remove the companies logo in the center) I was able to use a fake controller shell and make it legit with official parts. Also added the classic controller analog, feels so much better.
64YUUjx.jpg

I had to pick between a red or pink shell, wen't with something more unique and since I main peach in melee/brawl and PM it only made sense.

Why would you do that?

Itsuki

I'm going to buy a Wii with backwards compatible soon and I wanted a recomendation of GC games. I also accept GC games that have never been released outside of Japan.
I'm already planing to play the Baten Kaitos games, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Custom Robo Battle Revolution.

kick51

Banned
killer 7's price is rising, guess i'll snag a copy now. can see prices on it getting dumb once GCN collecting kicks into high gear.

koopas

Official S-video cables are expensive too. Usually $50+.

This is true, however keep in mind the SNES/64/GCN shared the same port. I picked up some official first party S-Video Cables (for Super Famicom) for a fraction of the price and they work beautifully with my NA 'cube.

koopas

I'm going to buy a Wii with backwards compatible soon and I wanted a recomendation of GC games. I also accept GC games that have never been released outside of Japan.
I'm already planing to play the Baten Kaitos games, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Custom Robo Battle Revolution.

I'd recommend Paper Mario TYD (turn based action rpg with great sense of humour) & Alien Hominid (side scrolling action game).

Both won't strain your wallet too hard either.

emb

While it was hassle to get everything to fit (so much plastic was gutted, and had to remove the companies logo in the center) I was able to use a fake controller shell and make it legit with official parts. Also added the classic controller analog, feels so much better.
[pic]
I always wondered if that would work out; I've considered making the front half of my black controller red, or something like that. What do you mean by gutting plastic? I assume you had to cut some things inside to make it all fit?

Also, I don't really like the VC stick in place of the control stick. The default left stick in a GCN controller is by far the best I've ever used (in terms of for Smash/GCN, and in controllers in general). I've tried putting the C stick and the CC/nunchuck stick there, neither feel right. The CC stick in particular is way too tall.

64YUUjx.jpg

Looks pretty cool except it might be nicer with a white stick instead of a black one.

Top Bottom