• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

You own several GC component cables?! Come on! How about sharing the wealth with the rest of us a bit? :) I'm sure many here would be open to buying a set or maybe you could even do a random drawing/giveaway to the loyal followers of this thread, haha. Only half-kidding.

Seriously, though...why not sell some of them and make a load of money?
I might be open to selling a couple of my GC component cables given the right offer.

Tablo

I might be open to selling a couple of my GC component cables given the right offer.

Well I just realized my OG gamecube I've had for a while since childhood is a DOL 001 model with the ability to use component. So count me in if I can get your cable(s) for an amount I can afford.
Are they unopened or used? Seems like used prices are like 120$+, new 200$+
If you feel merciful I could shell out under 100$, but idk, they're your cables. I'm betting that there is still a decent supply and not a crazy amount of demand, and the prices will come down at some point.

RetroGreg

I set up my GameCube last night and tried to use progressive scan for the first time. Do I have to enable it in all the games video settings or am I good for just holding the b button down the first time? I didn't have a tv good enough back in the day lol.

finalflame

Well I just realized my OG gamecube I've had for a while since childhood is a DOL 001 model with the ability to use component. So count me in if I can get your cable(s) for an amount I can afford.
Are they unopened or used? Seems like used prices are like 120$+, new 200$+
If you feel merciful I could shell out under 100$, but idk, they're your cables. I'm betting that there is still a decent supply and not a crazy amount of demand, and the prices will come down at some point.

I just bought mine off eBay, in the box, for $160, and I feel like I got a deal. I watched it for MONTHS without seeing hardly a SINGLE one sell for less than $130, and I missed that ONE.

I really hope you get a good deal, they are awesome, the prices are just insane.

I set up my GameCube last night and tried to use progressive scan for the first time. Do I have to enable it in all the games video settings or am I good for just holding the b button down the first time? I didn't have a tv good enough back in the day lol.

I don't know for sure, but I remember that with PAL games you held down B to get the 60Hz mode option, and once you did that the first time the GC seemed to automatically ask in the future without you needing to hold down B.
I suspect it would be similar with Progressive Scan, but I honestly don't know.

RetroGreg

Cool. Thanks. I'll report back after trying a few more. I was playing rogue squadron last night for a while. Man I miss good Star Wars games!

I don't know for sure, but I remember that with PAL games you held down B to get the 60Hz mode option, and once you did that the first time the GC seemed to automatically ask in the future without you needing to hold down B.
I suspect it would be similar with Progressive Scan, but I honestly don't know.

Exactly right. Do it once and it'll always ask on games that support it, until you say no.

Jamix012

Again, I don't believe this to be true.

Not all TV and receivers scale images poorly. The Wii U does not do a particularly good job with scaling low-resolution games. On paper, it sounds great, but the end results just aren't very impressive. Both my TV and receiver (without Xrgb) can produce a better image from a stock GC than what you get with the Wii U. The Wii U image is blurrier and suffers from minor ringing.

If you use a low quality LCD then, sure, the Wii U would probably be a better solution...but that doesn't make it great.

I don't know. The instant benefits of having both RGB and progressive scan do make the Wii U an attractive proposition for gamecube games. Especially seeing how much it improves the way Wii games look.

RetroGreg

I'm interested in this too (GC games on Wii U) for convenience. I have like 50 GameCube games though. That would be a lot of work to rip them all. Do you have to store them on an SD card or can you use an external hard drive?

televator

Do GCs also stop reading disks? If so, I'm in the camp that it's actually dirt on the laser lenses that cause this. The actual solution being that you'd need to dismantle the laser assembly and clean inner and outer surfaces of the lenses. kind of a delicate procedure.

finalflame

4U019mS.jpg

Just got this in today. Aw fucking yiss.

Just booted up some Animal Crossing in glorious 480p!

sfried

Just recently replayed Rogue Leader in glorious 480p with my Wii and Wii2HDMI.

Oh man, this game still holds up to this day.

solomon

I always wondered if that would work out; I've considered making the front half of my black controller red, or something like that. What do you mean by gutting plastic? I assume you had to cut some things inside to make it all fit?

Also, I don't really like the VC stick in place of the control stick. The default left stick in a GCN controller is by far the best I've ever used (in terms of for Smash/GCN, and in controllers in general). I've tried putting the C stick and the CC/nunchuck stick there, neither feel right. The CC stick in particular is way too tall.

First, if you are going to use a official shell with a fake red controller they won't fit sadly, you would probably have to find a black and red controller from the same company to fit and for the gutting part pictures below.

Had to cut (more like pull) out the plastic
yu8yhhZ.jpg

That plastic zip tie had to be cut for the controller to close up
ZRC1f06.jpg

And the fake rubber pad (oddly the one from the real control won't let the B button be fully pressed, this one makes the buttons have more click to them but I like it) also in this picture its more clear but notice the gap where the pcb wire goes through, I had to widen it a little, the fake controller's cable is thinner.
KF3zPL1.jpg

Looks pretty cool except it might be nicer with a white stick instead of a black one.

Changed to light blue analog from my nunchuk :D , to finish my controller I need the white control for that white wire, so I might buy one soon.

TnK

For the GC, I installed a modchip a long time ago, I think back in 2006-2007. The modchip is Qoob. I am mentioning this because I was reading about the GC lens. When running GC backups, my GC would have a really really hard time reading them, but would run normal GC games just fine.

My question is, did the people that installed the modchip mess up my lens, or is the burn quality on the backup games really bad?

dhonk

Does anyone have any experience with Swiss' Forced 480p mode? Is it any good?

Im contemplating buying a SD Media Launcher to put Swiss on. (I understand the limitations of this card, Im not sitting on a ton of moolah at the moment so Im going cheap.)

Kokonoe

Banned
I picked up a HDMI crt a few weeks ago and playing Gamecube games in HD on it via a DVI to HDMI adapter from my PC rules. Have a USB GC adapter too that works with Wavebird. Comfort baybee.

finalflame

I picked up a HDMI crt a few weeks ago and playing Gamecube games in HD on it via a DVI to HDMI adapter from my PC rules. Have a USB GC adapter too that works with Wavebird. Comfort baybee.

Dolphin emulation with maxed out graphical settings is amazing in HD, if your pc can run it. I finally got a 4670K last year, and emulation is just smooth as butter. Was the most noticeable different upgrading from an i7-870.

With that being said..there's something special about experience the game on the intended system!

How much they cost ya?

$160 shipped on eBay. Cheapest I saw over the span of 2 months was one that sold for $130, cable only, but I'm pretty sure the guy had his max bid set pretty high because I bid up to $128 and he still outbid me.

At the time of buying this one (last week), the cheapest was $149 for just the cable, so I want with a bit more to get the box, too. I'm weird like that.

Congrats :) Looks beautiful :D

Thanks! The original Animal Crossing has held up amazingly well w/ progressive scan. It actually makes me believe 3DS games might look ok on a modern TV if Nintendo ever released a 3DS player for the WiiU.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

HDMI CRT? Tha fuuuccckkk?

I need to know about this.

Kokonoe

Banned
HDMI CRT? Tha fuuuccckkk?

I need to know about this.

Some 2004-2005 models have HDMI (maybe 2003, not sure). I picked up a 30 inch Toshiba 1-2 weeks ago for 25 bucks at a thrift market. It's nice for PC gaming. Have to use 720p to keep 60hz but I ain't complaining!

emb

Pappasman

http://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.com/collections/283745-repairs-and-kits

I've never bought from there, but I think I've met the guy at a Smash tournament before. Anyway, it's the only place I can think of to try.

Though honestly, what I do is just get new controllers. I usually see one or two a year at yard sales/flea markets for 5-10 bucks. Usually require a little cleaning, but most of the time it's almost like they've never been used.

Ya I've been thinking about grabbing some more controllers as well.

Thanks for the link!

dhonk

Actually just found out about this. My GameCube has a Viper Original, can I use Swiss to force my original copies of games into 480p? What else would I need?

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing! If I can play Super Monkey Ball in 480p its bought so hard.

televator

Actually just found out about this. My GameCube has a Viper Original, can I use Swiss to force my original copies of games into 480p? What else would I need?

Don't know what a viper is, but as long as it allows you to launch apps off an SD card it should work.

Drain You

Haven't read this thread really at all but I have a Panasonic Q gamecube with a sticky disc drive ( I usually use a piece of tape along with hitting the open button to open the drive) . I was going to put it up on Ebay at the price I got it for but Id be more interested in selling it to someone on Gaf. Besides the sticky drive it works fine, reads discs and all that, If anyone is interested in it PM me, or even if you just have questions. Also if this is not allowed in this sort of thread I will delete this post.

Tablo

I have no idea how much to ask for the GC component cables. I don't really want to sell but I feel bad hoarding them.

Well, how many do you have lol? Also if you're going to ask going my market prices it would be like north of 140$. So I suppose you could go lower if money isn't a crazy issue and you won't be too sad letting go of them. I personally could maybe go up to 100$, preferably less ;-;
But I'm sure someone here would outbid me so...

Jonboy

I have no idea how much to ask for the GC component cables. I don't really want to sell but I feel bad hoarding them.
See the guy above that just paid $160. I personally wouldn't be willing to pay more than like $50 or so, but that's because I'm cheap and the Wii thru component really does the job for me (and I think we'll see Cube games return in some capacity one day). But like the poster above said, even selling them for $100 would actually be considered a "good" deal given the market value. If you're feeling really generous, then you could go lower.

Haven't read this thread really at all but I have a Panasonic Q gamecube with a sticky disc drive ( I usually use a piece of tape along with hitting the open button to open the drive) . I was going to put it up on Ebay at the price I got it for but Id be more interested in selling it to someone on Gaf. Besides the sticky drive it works fine, reads discs and all that, If anyone is interested in it PM me, or even if you just have questions. Also if this is not allowed in this sort of thread I will delete this post.
Are you familiar with Gaf's buyer/seller thread? You should post it there.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=743986&page=24

Jonboy

I am, I'm pretty sure I posted it a while back, but didn't get much of a response. Which is why I just ended up holding onto it. Id love to sell it to someone who actually wants it, which is why I still havent put it on Ebay yet. Rather sell it for less to someone who wants it.
Ahh. Gotcha. Good luck selling it. Such a slick little system.

Jamix012

Yo does anyone have an NTSC copy of Pokemon Box? Just curious. It's such a pointless game but...I want it anyway? I even have a gameboy player...rrr. If someone has a nice copy, I doubt you're willing to part with it, but some nice pics would be appreciated :eek:
Is it the rarest gamecube game at this point?

Edit: Also, a Panasonic Q!!!? Well uh. I'd be lying if I said I could just burn cash on that, but do you have some pics?

dhonk

SMB1 sadly doesn't work in forced 480p.

SHIAT! Thats a damn shame, I think the wonderfully colorful arcade presentation would benefit greatly from it. 480i will do though. ;)

Also WOW at the Gamecube Component cable prices now a days. Glad I bought them a couple years ago for 80 dollars. The job I had was so shitty, but I guess that was a consolation prize.

Serious question: why don't we see more consoles with handles on them?
The GameCube was the first system I ever owned (my family owned a computer up until then, that was about it games-wise) and it sort of set the bar for what I loved about console since then. Got it the first month it was out, just turned it on again earlier this week to play Melee and it all still works just fine. Even after being dropped a few times. Great piece of hardware.

Cody_D165

Banned
What are the benefits of owning the panasonic GC?

It can play DVDs and it looks like the most badass thing you would want next to your TV ever holy fuck look at this fucking thing it's shiny as goddamn hell and has that subtle blue glow going on holy shit just looking at this sexy beast of a game console makes me want to empty my wallet and get my hands on it right this very instant

$T2eC16Z,!)!E9s2fDPKtBRRp1oP6kQ~~60_35.JPG

I also think it has additional options for A/V out using separate jacks if I remember correctly

Does anyone have any experience with Swiss' Forced 480p mode? Is it any good?

Im contemplating buying a SD Media Launcher to put Swiss on. (I understand the limitations of this card, Im not sitting on a ton of moolah at the moment so Im going cheap.)
Yeah, it works like a charm.

And although it didn't say on the website when I purchased it, the disk included with SD Media Launcher also includes Pro Action Replay and more importantly, freeloader.

Top Bottom