• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

Tablo

Thanks mate, much appreciated. 100$ though o_O
Are the 10$ ones much worse haha
Damn, wonder if the component cables will crash in price, there can't be that limited a supply D:
I guess I would need a GameCube with that digital port too though...Damn...

Tablo

So what's the take on Wii Component, where does that stand? My Wii is a white BC model.
Is it better than GameCube S video? How much worse than GameCube component?

gogojira

Can't believe I never noticed this thread. Subbed so I can go through later. I've always been a Nintendo fan but I really feel like the fanboy peaked in me during the GameCube era. I seriously can't remember ever being so hyped for a system.

TnK

Thanks mate, much appreciated. 100$ though o_O
Are the 10$ ones much worse haha
Damn, wonder if the component cables will crash in price, there can't be that limited a supply D:
I guess I would need a GameCube with that digital port too though...Damn...
I ordered the 10$ one (thought it was the official one), but it should be good since you don't have the the fourth yellow composite cable interfering with things.

Peagles

Home printer job, but hey, I like it :p
IMAG0337_zpsb608746c.jpg

TnK

I just realized that my least favorite GC color is purple. My favorites on the other hand are platinum (the one I own), and orange. If I am not mistaken, the JP GB Player also came in platinum, which makes the platinum console look even better.

Peagles

I just realized that my least favorite GC color is purple. My favorites on the other hand are platinum (the one I own), and orange. If I am not mistaken, the JP GB Player also came in platinum, which makes the platinum console look even better.

There's a platinum GB Player below that purple Gamecube up there if that makes you feel better :p

IrishNinja

OG grimace pimp purple GC is best GC, this is known. no other launch console had that kinda swagger to show up in that shade.

also peagles im sorry to tell you but your system seems infected

TnK

There's a platinum GB Player below that purple Gamecube up there if that makes you feel better :p
Purple GC showing its dominance over the platinum GB player eh? lol. Saw images of the platinum GC player, would look really good on the platinum system that I own. I wouldn't buy it though, because it would be a waste of money.

On the other hand, anyone willing to trade a black GB player for a platinum one?

OG grimace pimp purple GC is best GC, this is known. no other launch console had that kinda swagger to show up in that shade.

also peagles im sorry to tell you but your system seems infected

Not only that, it is the last console Nintendo was ballsy enough to release multiple colors for. I would love to have another orange Nintendo console. An orange wii u, so good.

TnK

Blue, red, black and white Wii don't count?
They do. Should have been more specific. I want to see these consoles at launch. Nintendo teased us with a ton of colors that we never saw when the wii was announced.

Eh, guess I am complaining for no reason, since the platinum GC came out a year or two after launch.

D-e-f-

Banned
They do. Should have been more specific. I want to see these consoles at launch. Nintendo teased us with a ton of colors that we never saw when the wii was announced.

Eh, guess I am complaining for no reason, since the platinum GC came out a year or two after launch.

The Wii really was their only recent system that only launched in one color. All others had at least two options at launch.

The Wii really was their only recent system that only launched in one color. All others had at least two options at launch.

Other than handhelds, wasn't the Gamecube the only console to launch in multiple colors?

I don't believe the N64, SNES or NES launched in more than one.

D-e-f-

Banned
Other than handhelds, wasn't the Gamecube the only console to launch in multiple colors?

I don't believe the N64, SNES or NES launched in more than one.

N64, SNES and NES are also anything but recent. ;) But you're correct, GameCube and Wii U are the only home consoles that launched in different colors.

finalflame

Man oh man, just found this thread! Started down a GameCube collecting binge recently, can't wait to post my pickups this month! Waiting to find a reasonably priced, first print copy of TYD. Dunno if it's just me, but I can't stand the ones with the "Best Seller" print on them.

Spice orange gamecube looks so darn good.

My gamecube collection is among my prizest possesions, and i'm still working on expanding it.

I have:
Metroid prime 1&2
Baten kaitos 1&2
Wind Waker
Eternal darkness
Twilight Princess
Super mario sunshine
Paper mario 2
Tales of symphonia
Lost kingdoms 1&2
Wario world
Luigi's mansion
F-zero GX
Battalion wars
Fire emblem path of radiance
Viewtiful Joe 1(i have 2 for the ps2,that's the only reason it isn't here as well)
Pikmin 2
Pokemon gale of darkness

It is probably the only GC collection in the world which doesn't include smash and mario kart.

Sakujou

Banned

there was a sale years ago, where i picked up a japanese orange gamecube in orange for 20euros.

still in package, never opened it :D *click*

i also bought the super rare tales of symphonia gamecube in mint green from france(i live in germany)

i loved my gamecube so much, but i never received so much hate for having a nintendo system back then compared to the nes, snes and n64 days...

since wii i dont give a fuck, but back in the gc-days, that was rough, to be the only person having a gamecube.

Ah, Gamecube. I love that platform.

I'm a PAL collector, here is my haul. My GCN is a black model, as it should be:

Battalion Wars
Billy Hatcher & The Giant Egg
Die Hard: Vendetta
Doshin the Giant
Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem
F-Zero GX
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Geist
Ikaruga
Killer 7
Lost Kingdoms
Lost Kingdoms II
Luigi’s Mansion
Mario Kart Double Dash
Mario Party 4
Medal of Honor: European Assault
Medal of Honor: Frontline
Medal of Honor: Rising Sun
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
P.N.03
Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II
Phantasy Star Online Episode III: C.A.R.D. Revolution
Pikmin
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil CODE: Veronica X
Resident Evil Zero
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Sonic Adventure DX
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
Sonic Heroes
Soul Calibur II
Splinter Cell
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow
Star Fox Adventures
Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Smash Bros. Melee
The Legend of Zelda Collector’s Edition (The Legend of Zelda, Adventure of Link, Ocarina of Time, Majora’s Mask)
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Viewtiful Joe
Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble
Wave Race: Blue Storm

I'm missing a couple of big ones, that unfortunately I can't find them at decent prices. Pikmin 2, Starfox Assault and of course some of the RPGs such as Paper Mario 2, Fire Emblem and the Baten Kaitos.

I'll try to find Viewtiful Joe 2 and Wario World this month or so. Shouldn't be very expensive.

I'll post a picture of my collection on here later. I have most of the games I want, but two I am still looking for are Fire Emblem and Cubivore. They're both so expensive :( What's worse is I own Radiant Dawn, but won't let myself play it until I play Path of Raidance.

So what's the take on Wii Component, where does that stand? My Wii is a white BC model.
Is it better than GameCube S video? How much worse than GameCube component?
If you have a BC Wii it makes much more sense to play your GameCube games on it rather than to source up component cables for the GC. I know because I own several GC component cables and I've done copious amounts of comparing the two on a HDTV.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/Grizzmeister/ComponentCables_zpsd9cac2e1.jpg

TnK

Didn't know that an orange gameboy player exists, and the overall package looks like this:

Soo good
there was a sale years ago, where i picked up a japanese orange gamecube in orange for 20euros.

still in package, never opened it :D *click*

i also bought the super rare tales of symphonia gamecube in mint green from france(i live in germany)

i loved my gamecube so much, but i never received so much hate for having a nintendo system back then compared to the nes, snes and n64 days...

since wii i dont give a fuck, but back in the gc-days, that was rough, to be the only person having a gamecube.
That is the first time I see a mint green ToS GC , and I want to update my favorite colors list. My favorite colors are: Platinum, orange, and mint green.

I'll post a picture of my collection on here later. I have most of the games I want, but two I am still looking for are Fire Emblem and Cubivore. They're both so expensive :( What's worse is I own Radiant Dawn, but won't let myself play it until I play Path of Raidance.

FE on the GC is really expensive, when did that happen? I am really glad I got mine at launch. I remember it being advertised quite a lot on IGN.

If you have a BC Wii it makes much more sense to play your GameCube games on it rather than to source up component cables for the GC. I know because I own several GC component cables and I've done copious amounts of comparing the two on a HDTV.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/Grizzmeister/ComponentCables_zpsd9cac2e1.jpg

Wait, so are you saying the image quality on the Wii's component cables are superior compared to the GC?

Wait, so are you saying the image quality on the Wii's component cables are superior compared to the GC?
No. What I'm saying is that GameCube games look almost the same when played on a Wii with component cables as on a GameCube with component cables. Since the former is more economically reasonable I suggest going that route.

No. What I'm saying is that GameCube games look almost the same when played on a Wii with component cables as on a GameCube with component cables. Since the former is more economically reasonable I suggest going that route.

Yup, I found much the same result. I found GC output to have *very* slightly nicer colours, but really not worth the $150+ that component cables go for these days. Wii Component output is very good.

Tablo

Ok thanks for info guys, I'm buying a friends platinum GameCube + platinum official controller+ SSBM for 40$ today. That way I'll have 2 GameCube, feel good on that front. I have 1 BC Wii, will buy component cables for that, official Wii Component cables are reasonable on Amazon for like 30-50$
Then eventually I'll try to acquire a duplicate set so I can have 2 BC Wiis and 2 Wii component cables. Oh and a damn SD CRT, found an unboxed 20" Sony one locally for 90$. Seems pretty damn legit for being still new in box.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/ele/4302103006.html
Or this one which seems ok too and only 50$.
Will be PITA to move though probably ugh.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/ele/4314673124.html

Too bad no one seems to be giving away good free CRTs in Glendale D:
If anyone is in the area and doesn't want their decent CRT lemme know lol

Rich!

Yup, I found much the same result. I found GC output to have *very* slightly nicer colours, but really not worth the $150+ that component cables go for these days. Wii Component output is very good.

in addition to this, playing GameCube games on the Wii U results in an image superior to the gamecube component cables.

it's glorious. Gamepad support too.

Tablo

in addition to this, playing GameCube games on the Wii U results in an image superior to the gamecube component cables.

it's glorious. Gamepad support too.

WHAT. Info on this pls. There must be some stupid caveat though, probably can't use the GC controller for SSBM right? D:

Tablo

Omg, <3 you. How does this exactly work? Can you play to a TV instead of the Wii U?
I guess the only thing is you still need a CRT for a good GameCube/Wii experience. Does the Wii U have good component out to CRTs?

Jonboy

You own several GC component cables?! Come on! How about sharing the wealth with the rest of us a bit? :) I'm sure many here would be open to buying a set or maybe you could even do a random drawing/giveaway to the loyal followers of this thread, haha. Only half-kidding.

Seriously, though...why not sell some of them and make a load of money?

Rich!

Omg, <3 you. How does this exactly work? Can you play to a TV instead of the Wii U?
I guess the only thing is you still need a CRT for a good GameCube/Wii experience. Does the Wii U have good component out to CRTs?

Well I don't know about component output to CRT, but either way, it outputs a glorious upscaled digital image via homebrew to your TV via HDMI. Far, far better than the GC component output because not only is it a pure digital signal, but the Wii U is doing the upscaling and not your TV's shitty upscaling tech.

here's the best example I could find via a search

D-e-f-

Banned
I'm still worried that doing homebrew on Wii U in Wii mode will somehow have possibly have bad consequences down the line if they update anything... but I hope that won't happen so i can do it in a few years.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well I don't know about component output to CRT, but either way, it outputs a glorious upscaled digital image via homebrew to your TV via HDMI. Far, far better than the GC component output because not only is it a pure digital signal, but the Wii U is doing the upscaling and not your TV's shitty upscaling tech.
That's presumptuous.

My hardware DOES do a better job upscaling 480p than the Wii U on its own, but I use an Xrgb for my retro/low-res gaming needs and it definitely outputs a vastly superior image to what you can achieve on Wii U. You can output a pixel perfect image devoid of any upscaling artifacts if you choose by using a simple nearest neighbor upscale to 1280x960 within a 1920x1080 panel. Perfect pixel doubling and the cleanest possible picture for Gamecube games. Certainly better than the Wii U.

Rich!

That's presumptuous.

My hardware DOES do a better job upscaling 480p than the Wii U on its own, but I use an Xrgb for my retro/low-res gaming needs and it definitely outputs a vastly superior image to what you can achieve on Wii U. You can output a pixel perfect image devoid of any upscaling artifacts if you choose by using a simple nearest neighbor upscale to 1280x960 within a 1920x1080 panel. Perfect pixel doubling and the cleanest possible picture for Gamecube games. Certainly better than the Wii U.

I don't see where an XRGB comes into the example I gave between a stock wii u and a stock GC. Of course that'll be better than the Wii U, but as it is, the Wii U is superior to many HDTV scalers for Gamecube games.

What you're saying is like saying "my Vauxhall Nova gets to 60mph faster than your bugatti because I've fitted it with a rocket fuel engine" and then using that to refute an example comparing a standard nova and a bugatti

Far, far better than the GC component output because not only is it a pure digital signal, but the Wii U is doing the upscaling and not your TV's shitty upscaling tech.

That's cool, but let's not make assumptions, okay? Some of us care enough to check. I took my Gamecube to several stores and tried it with many TVs before I "upgraded" from my old WEGA to my current Sharp TV. And I'll do the same before biting on the Sony I have my eye on, later this year. Upscaling can be done perfectly well by a TV. True, most TVs are awful at it (because so few people care), but some are excellent.

Jamix012

I don't see where an XRGB comes into the example I gave between a stock wii u and a stock GC. Of course that'll be better than the Wii U, but as it is, the Wii U is superior to many HDTV scalers for Gamecube games.

What you're saying is like saying "my Vauxhall Nova gets to 60mph faster than your bugatti because I've fitted it with a rocket fuel engine" and then using that to refute an example comparing a standard nova and a bugatti

I think he's just saying that if you do have an XRGB, it'll scale it it better than the Wii U would. As in the gamecube would look nicer through the XRGB than the gamecube games would do on the Wii U because it scales better than the Wii U.

Rich!

I think he's just saying that if you do have an XRGB, it'll scale it it better than the Wii U would. As in the gamecube would look nicer through the XRGB than the gamecube games would do on the Wii U because it scales better than the Wii U.

Well yeah, it's a given that a £240 dedicated upscaler will do a better job than the Wii U.

can't wait to pick mine up tomorrow!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Again, I don't believe this to be true.

Not all TV and receivers scale images poorly. The Wii U does not do a particularly good job with scaling low-resolution games. On paper, it sounds great, but the end results just aren't very impressive. Both my TV and receiver (without Xrgb) can produce a better image from a stock GC than what you get with the Wii U. The Wii U image is blurrier and suffers from minor ringing.

If you use a low quality LCD then, sure, the Wii U would probably be a better solution...but that doesn't make it great.

MarkusRJR

Was randomly searching ebay a few weeks ago and found a new Wavebird for only $80ish dollars. Just got here and it's probably the best thing ever minus the annoying light that flickers on the wireless adapter. When I was younger I always wanted them but when I couldn't justify the extra cost when compared to

Speaking of ebay I'm really pissed at the quality of used games on there. Half of the games I buy to fill out my collection don't work or have freezing issues. I want working games, but new or "mint" games are so expensive.

One question: Is there anywhere I can buy black or silver extension cords for GCN controllers? I have 5 wired controllers but due to my newly arranged room they don't reach my couch like they used to.

D-e-f-

Banned
One question: Is there anywhere I can buy black or silver extension cords for GCN controllers? I have 5 wired controllers but due to my newly arranged room they don't reach my couch like they used to.

How about you just go to eBay? I got several extensions form there.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Again, I don't believe this to be true.

Not all TV and receivers scale images poorly. The Wii U does not do a particularly good job with scaling low-resolution games. On paper, it sounds great, but the end results just aren't very impressive. Both my TV and receiver (without Xrgb) can produce a better image from a stock GC than what you get with the Wii U. The Wii U image is blurrier and suffers from minor ringing.

If you use a low quality LCD then, sure, the Wii U would probably be a better solution...but that doesn't make it great.

I found that the WiiU's upconversion of Wii games actually looks worse than just using an actual Wii due to all the artifacts. The only games I tried were REmake and RE4, but the performance was nowhere near as good as I was hoping for from the WiiU. I can't imagine the results with GC games being particularly encouraging.

Anyway, I've been playing more Paper Mario. I'm about 17 or 18 hours in now. Really liking it. There's just a ton of creativity in this game, and it's a lot less of an RPG than I expected going in... but it totally works. It's also made me realize that there are probably a dozen games like this on the GC that I just didn't give a chance, or that I've owned and never played. Which makes me feel like a bit of an idiot.

Both my TV and receiver (without Xrgb) can produce a better image from a stock GC than what you get with the Wii U.

I don't have my Wii U hacked, just my Wii, so I can't comment on the difference, but this was the point I wanted to make, too: I went out of my way to get a TV with a great scaler. I have no doubt it's better than something from Nintendo, these days.

One question: Is there anywhere I can buy black or silver extension cords for GCN controllers?

Sure, you can still get them from Amazon:

Top Bottom