• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

These two arrived yesterday. I never thought I'd own Fire Emblem. It's incredibly expensive, especially in Europe. So happy to finally have these.

BvApc6_CMAApxgU.jpg

I'm just finishing my first play through of Fire Emblem. I ended up paying around 70 dollars for it and it was worth every penny.

Is there a way to bypass the need for the GBP start up disc? For some reason mine is coming up as unreadable every other time I want to use it, despite there being nothing physically wrong with the disc beyond (seemingly) cosmetic scratches that are on almost every disc. No other game does this so I can assume it's not the laser. I'd rather not have to buy another disc too.

Is there a way to bypass the need for the GBP start up disc? For some reason mine is coming up as unreadable every other time I want to use it, despite there being nothing physically wrong with the disc beyond (seemingly) cosmetic scratches that are on almost every disc. No other game does this so I can assume it's not the laser. I'd rather not have to buy another disc too.

You could get one of those drive replacements for Wii and install it to your gamecube and just run the startup disc from SD card. This isn't exactly ideal either, but GBP won't run without the software from the disc.

What the best memory card to buy for the wii to save Gamecube games? These WiiKey SD cards adapter don't work do they?The ones where you put and as sd in a Gamecube type memory card.

NR1

image-158.jpg

Finally got a copy of Code Veronica! It was the last RE title on the GCN I needed to complete the set. I was surprised to get it for such a good price CIB too. I often don't see it for less than $35 or $40.

What the best memory card to buy for the wii to save Gamecube games? These WiiKey SD cards adapter don't work do they?The ones where you put and as sd in a Gamecube type memory card.

The official 251 block ones are best. There is an official 1000-ish block card, but it's reliability is questionable. Lots of people complaining of corrupted data. (Mine's fine fwiw)

My brand new Japanese Game Boy Player arrived today from Nippon Yassan, woohoo. Next steps: mod my Wii and get a paint job done on it (going for yellow). Gonna have a yellow Cube on top of a black GBP....bumble bee style. MY RGB scart cable arrived from the eBay seller too. Need to get one of those CodeJunkies SD card adaptors and finally a Framemeister.

My brand new Japanese Game Boy Player arrived today from Nippon Yassan, woohoo. Next steps: mod my Wii and get a paint job done on it (going for yellow). Gonna have a yellow Cube on top of a black GBP....bumble bee style. MY RGB scart cable arrived from the eBay seller too. Need to get one of those CodeJunkies SD card adaptors and finally a Framemeister.

Show up the yellow cube when it's all done!

Gamecube discs are bad for not playing even with little/no scratches on the bottom. I have a feeling it's another reason working Gamecube discs will continue to be hard to find and increase in value.

Get Gotcha Force and you'll love it even more!

One of my most wanted games currently. I'm trying to get one at a fair price but not happening so far... I can wait for now since it's mostly $100+ though I have a feeling it's only going to continue to increase... Still, I recently found Phantasy Star Online I & II Plus for under $30 so there's always hope...

One of my most wanted games currently. I'm trying to get one at a fair price but not happening so far... I can wait for now since it's mostly $100+ though I have a feeling it's only going to continue to increase... Still, I recently found Phantasy Star Online I & II Plus for under $30 so there's always hope...

That expensive, huh? Holy shit.

Anung

Un Rama
I'm in Japan and oh my god the gamecube never died here. Games and console in every game shop for buttons. Gonna fill my bag with as much as I can. Anyone recommend me some rarities to hunt down?

Jamix012

I'm in Japan and oh my god the gamecube never died here. Games and console in every game shop for buttons. Gonna fill my bag with as much as I can. Anyone recommend me some rarities to hunt down?

Depends what you're going for, I don't really know too many Japanese rarities. If you want games that were never released in the US than I guess I can give a somewhat lukewarm but fun recommendation for Dream Mix TV World Fighters and have heard good things about Nintendo Puzzle Collection.

There were also 4 Hudson Selections (remakes of older Hudson games.) If you find any I'd be willing to pay a reasonable price for any of them.

Teknoman

Ran into MMX command mission for 20 bucks at a pawn shop. Not sure if that was a good price, so I left it...but now I see thats about the going price?

Kururin Squash! The last game in the so-great Kururin series (first two were on GBA; none ever released in the US because Nintendo is stupid or something). Also, yeah, the Hudson remakes are worth a look -- Star Soldier, Takahashi Meijin no Bouken Shima (Adventure Island), etc. Also from Hudson, there's a GC version of the adventure/minigame collection-ish Bomberman Land 2 on GC only in Japan. Oh, and if you like them, the two Donkey Konga games have different songs in them in the Japanese versions, and there's also a third Japan-exclusive one as well. There aren't that many Japan-exclusive GC games that look particularly interesting, but those are at least, Kururin Squash particularly, for me at least -- I love the GBA games, and want the GC one a lot!

alf717

Ran into MMX command mission for 20 bucks at a pawn shop. Not sure if that was a good price, so I left it...but now I see thats about the going price?

Disc only copies I see on eBay are around that price. Complete goes higher closer to $30. For $20 it is a good pick up I played it back when it released and I enjoyed it. The game was worked on by the folk that also did the Breath of Fire series.

Another cool JP-exclusive GCN game is Nintendo Puzzle Collection. Panel de Pon, Dr. Mario, and Yoshi's Cookie are on there.

That's true, but that Dr. Mario game is a port of the N64 game Dr. Mario 64, which was only released in the US on N64; Panel de Pon is a port of the unreleased-in-Japan N64 game Panel de Pon 64 with a four-player mode added, which was only released in the US and Europe as Pokemon Puzzle League (with a Pokemon theme and only two players); and Yoshi's Cookie is the only thing on the disc that's actually new. I'm sure it's cool, but if you have PPL and Dr. Mario 64... well, how much is 4-player and fairy-themed Puzzle League and a Yoshi's Cookie remake worth?

Peagles

Was?! You guys are making me so jealous with your finds, I can't find jack in Australia, I think the console only sold around 170,000 units here, so yeah. Can't imagine how hard it is for you Peagles.

Don't cry for me, I already gave up on finding stuff locally a long time ago.

Actually on that note I'll have to show you all my recent NTSC pick ups, there's a lot of them.

Don't cry for me, I already gave up on finding stuff locally a long time ago.

Actually on that note I'll have to show you all my recent NTSC pick ups, there's a lot of them.

Did you get all the NTSC games online? Shipping always seems to be $15-$20+ from the US and it kills it. I'm going to keep trying locally with people I know, I know one of my friends has a Gameboy Player that he barely used. On a side note, the C-Sticks for 2 of my official are stuffed, you guys know anything I can do cause I don't want new remotes, they're expensive and six is enough (and they're the clear back ones, did GC controllers later in the gen have durability issues? Because they've only been used for 5% of the time my purple controller has been used and that functions fine). And two of my third party controllers just vibrate when I plug it in, should I just replace them with other third party controllers? And sorry for the long post.

Peagles

Did you get all the NTSC games online? Shipping always seems to be $15-$20+ from the US and it kills it. I'm going to keep trying locally with people I know, I know one of my friends has a Gameboy Player that he barely used. On a side note, the C-Sticks for 2 of my official are stuffed, you guys know anything I can do cause I don't want new remotes, they're expensive and six is enough (and they're the clear back ones, did GC controllers later in the gen have durability issues? Because they've only been used for 5% of the time my purple controller has been used and that functions fine). And two of my third party controllers just vibrate when I plug it in, should I just replace them with other third party controllers? And sorry for the long post.

Yep. It's much cheaper than local games here even with shipping. Though I find $15-20 seems to be the high end. Some I have picked up locally because people generally don't want NTSC games here.

How are they stuffed? Exterior or interior? Both can be replaced. Third party controllers are total junk apparently.

Yep. It's much cheaper than local games here even with shipping. Though I find $15-20 seems to be the high end. Some I have picked up locally because people generally don't want NTSC games here.

How are they stuffed? Exterior or interior? Both can be replaced. Third party controllers are total junk apparently.

Thanks, the C-Stick is an interior problem, I think, it keeps moving to the left and I have to the reset thing (X,Y and Start) to make it stop and then it only works for one side. Is it worth replacing or just getting new controllers?

These two arrived yesterday. I never thought I'd own Fire Emblem. It's incredibly expensive, especially in Europe. So happy to finally have these.

BvApc6_CMAApxgU.jpg

I´m so glad I bought Fire Emblem back in 2005 for 50€ brand new.

The game goes for ...like 70+ € now.

I got lucky with Symphonia too.

Peagles

Thanks, the C-Stick is an interior problem, I think, it keeps moving to the left and I have to the reset thing (X,Y and Start) to make it stop and then it only works for one side. Is it worth replacing or just getting new controllers?

It's very cheap to replace, but does require soldering.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I've bought Fire Emblem twice. I lent it to a friend who claimed he lost it, so I bought it again, only for him to find it later. I don't even remember what I did with the second copy. But it was worth buying twice, even with how expensive it is.

choodi

Banned
Most of my collection. Missing some like Wind Waker and a couple of others. Need to check my garage to find them.

Sorry, I haven't put it in alphabetical order since I moved them from boxes into my new shelves. Also sorry about the shit image quality

Ox8Hfkb.jpg

6YQffoe.jpg

LfDmpvG.jpg

uZtNHAf.jpg

Xhorder

I´m so glad I bought Fire Emblem back in 2005 for 50€ brand new.

The game goes for ...like 70+ € now.

I got lucky with Symphonia too.

Until recently I had forgotten I bought mine new in 2007. So going through my games recently I was very happy to find out I was smart enough to get it when it was still normal price. The Wii sequel is pretty expensive as well already, but luckily I was able to get it for a reasonable price recently.

Top Bottom