• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

Anyone with a Xeno GC mod or that knows about it...

I've been planning to order one from here:

http://www.eurasia.nu/shop/product_info.php?cPath=53&products_id=300

The page mentions that the mode has status LEDs:
Status LEDs:
The XenoGC features two status LEDs to indicate correct function. The red LED is active when the drive resets and the chip is doing its job. Once the drive has been patched successfully, the green (or yellow) LED will light up. Check your install if you only get the red LED, or it doesnt light up at all.
Does anyone know if this changes the light by the disc tray already on the GC, or is this a separate installation of another LED? I'd like to avoid having any further mods done to my GC outside of just sticking the chip in.

Thanks.

Peagles

Anyone with a Xeno GC mod or that knows about it...

I've been planning to order one from here:

http://www.eurasia.nu/shop/product_info.php?cPath=53&products_id=300

The page mentions that the mode has status LEDs:Does anyone know if this changes the light by the disc tray already on the GC, or is this a separate installation of another LED? I'd like to avoid having any further mods done to my GC outside of just sticking the chip in.

Thanks.

The chip itself lights up.

Peagles

Oh...you can see the chip from the outside of the system, or is it something like a little visible from the vent grill?

It depends where you decide to mount the chip, but yeh I just turned all the lights off and tested in the dark so I could see it through the vent grill, heh.

It depends where you decide to mount the chip, but yeh I just turned all the lights off and tested in the dark so I could see it through the vent grill, heh.
Great, thanks.

I have ordered from eurasia.nu without any issues. When I installed the chip, I used the wire method. I found the wireless method to be too difficult to do without messing up.
Thanks for this. I'm getting it done by someone that mods systems a lot though, cause I wouldn't dare attempt it myself!

Is there an additional benefit for using a Xeno chip instead of, say, launching Swiss with the SD loader? It looks like it would boot burnt games directly, but I wasn't going to be doing anything with burnt games

Peagles

Is there an additional benefit for using a Xeno chip instead of, say, launching Swiss with the SD loader? It looks like it would boot burnt games directly, but I wasn't going to be doing anything with burnt games

Region free without having to use a Freeloader all the time, it's something I've really come to appreciate.

Also you can rip all your games to SD and never have to disc swap again, but there are a few compatibility problems with SD loading.

Region free without having to use a Freeloader all the time, it's something I've really come to appreciate.

Also you can rip all your games to SD and never have to disc swap again, but there are a few compatibility problems with SD loading.
From what it sounds like, those compatability issues exist unless you're booting directly from the disc drive itself, right? (So, loading from SD, a drive replacement, whatever, audio streaming will always pose an issue)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So, does the XenoGC fuck with the bios at all? I want to be able to play US and JP games on my Cube, but not have anything that changes the startup or system menu.

Peagles

So, does the XenoGC fuck with the bios at all? I want to be able to play US and JP games on my Cube, but not have anything that changes the startup or system menu.

It's a drive patching chip, soldered directly into the DVD drive. On my cube the startup and menu and everything is the same as before. Except now I can actually put a US/JP game in and see the game banner in the disc menu, it's pretty cool (novelty still hasn't worn off hehe).

Yeah, I wasn't expecting to like 240p GBA on my CRT as much as I do considering the source material was meant to display on a fixed pixel LCD display. Can't get enough though.

prateeko

What are the differences between the different SD loaders for the GCN? I'm gonna order a Code Junkies SD launcher on Monday but recall a while ago there are multiple alternates available, right?

Danny Dudekisser

I got my orange Gamecube!

I open up the package, see the box, look at the bottom of it.

"DOL-101"

Aaaaaaaaaaand back it goes!

I thought the Spice Orange model only was available without the component port/expansion?

Ewx0Wr8.jpg

Danny Dudekisser

I thought the Spice Orange model only was available without the component port/expansion?

I was under the impression that the opposite was true. I'd never seen or even heard of a DOL-101 Spice Gamecube. Well, until yesterday. And it's a sad, sad thing.

Hello fellow GC enthusiasts. My black PAL GC with the digital AV port arrived today (though I don't think I'll ever stump up that much for a component cable...good to be prepared though). The black disc on the top lid is pretty scratched up though. I'd like to get a replacement, like the one in this auction in case it's not clear what I mean:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/METROID-P...24?pt=UK_Faceplates_Skins&hash=item3f3a308610

Though I don't want this one, I'd like the original. Does anyone know where I can get one from? Nintendo UK doesn't provide any repairs/replacements for pre-DS hardware, but I'm aware other local Nintendo subsidiaries may do. If anyone can helo source one, I'd most appreciate it.

Thanks.

Peagles

Hello fellow GC enthusiasts. My black PAL GC with the digital AV port arrived today (though I don't think I'll ever stump up that much for a component cable...good to be prepared though). The black disc on the top lid is pretty scratched up though. I'd like to get a replacement, like the one in this auction in case it's not clear what I mean:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/METROID-P...24?pt=UK_Faceplates_Skins&hash=item3f3a308610

Though I don't want this one, I'd like the original. Does anyone know where I can get one from? Nintendo UK doesn't provide any repairs/replacements for pre-DS hardware, but I'm aware other local Nintendo subsidiaries may do. If anyone can helo source one, I'd most appreciate it.

Thanks.

I have a spare I think. If I end up sending you a parcel I'll pop it in.

I have a spare I think. If I end up sending you a parcel I'll pop it in.
Thanks a lot, Peagles.

Guys, guess what? I have to plug my good ol' friends over at Nippon Yassan. I've been posting requests for help from a Gaffer in Japan to help me obtain a Gameboy Player from Amazon Japan. Someone did point me to a website service in Japan that lets me order with my normal Amazon account, ship to them and then they ship to me...but it got all complicated cause my UK login details wouldn't work on Amazon JP. Anyway, I wrote to Nippon Yassan and told them of my woes, asked if they could help me out with this predicament. They wrote back to me saying that they'd look into it, but it could take me a while. Within a few hours, they wrote to me again saying that they had added the product to the site:

https://www.nippon-yasan.com/retro-consoles/8419-gamecube-game-boy-player-black-ver.html

What a hit. These guys are awesome. I ordered one straight away. Now I'm just waiting for my Xeno chip to arrive before I send it off my Gamecube to be modded. I've also found someone in the UK that can do a custom paint job for me, so I'm considering going for an out-there colour because finding a spice orange one in good condition to do a case swap with is pretty difficult (especially one with a digital AV port).

I'm thinking of going for a slightly darker orange than the spice colour, or perhaps a bright yellow (not gold or goldish). Something that will go well with a black Game Boy Player, I'm not keen on getting that colour-modded. I've also considered a dark camo green.

What do you guys think, any suggestions?

P.S. Anyone looking for a brand new Game Boy Player without paying a ridiculous price, go for the above deal (only if you have a modded Cube or some way of making your Cube region-free, that is).

Zalman

These two arrived yesterday. I never thought I'd own Fire Emblem. It's incredibly expensive, especially in Europe. So happy to finally have these.

BvApc6_CMAApxgU.jpg

Xhorder

These two arrived yesterday. I never thought I'd own Fire Emblem. It's incredibly expensive, especially in Europe. So happy to finally have these.

BvApc6_CMAApxgU.jpg

Yeah it's crazy expensive here, also the Wii sequel. I actually forgot I owned it until I recently looked at my Club Nintendo account where I had it registered all those years ago. I've never played it, but since I'm really enjoying the 3DS FE, I might actually play it soon.

Had two amazing garage sale finds in a row this weekend, pretty happy with the haul I picked up.

2 copies of Super Smash Bros. Melee
Metroid Prime with Prime 2 demo
Wind Waker
Twilight Princess
Luigi's Mansion
Mario Sunshine
Double Dash
Mario Golf Toadstool Tour
Sonic Adventure 2
Mario Party 6

All for $21.00. I've been finding pretty poor deals in this area for the last two years, that definitely was a turn in the right direction.

Pizza

Hey all, Ive been really getting back into gamecube recently, but all i have are controllers, memory cards and games: i gave my actual console away as a gift when the wii first game out (stupid)

So gaf, what would you recommend to me as far as a new console? Im not opposed to modding at all. I was looking into region-modding an Orange Spice console, but I also liked the look of those xcm/icedcube clear replacement cases. Except those are utterly impossible for me to find.

Ive been trying to look into this stuff the last few days but buying guides from 2005 arent all that reliable as most the links are now dead, or lead to stores with no stock.

Thanks!

Got my SD Media Launcher today, kinda rad, though I've run into a couple of issues.
Swiss forces progressive video modes in it's menu, my PAL TV can't handle 480p, so the image just flickers around the screen like crazy.
It works fine through composite cables, but it's a mess with component. Once I manage to load a game it seems fine, and even through composite, 240p GB games looked dang fine, but it's a bit of a bummer.

Looking at Swiss support, seems the issue had been reported, fixed by holding L at launch, and this no longer works. Guess I'll wait for an update, or maybe use Swiss more as a method of forcing widescreen or 480p on my LCD screens instead.

Peagles

Got my SD Media Launcher today, kinda rad, though I've run into a couple of issues.
Swiss forces progressive video modes in it's menu, my PAL TV can't handle 480p, so the image just flickers around the screen like crazy.
It works fine through composite cables, but it's a mess with component. Once I manage to load a game it seems fine, and even through composite, 240p GB games looked dang fine, but it's a bit of a bummer.

Looking at Swiss support, seems the issue had been reported, fixed by holding L at launch, and this no longer works. Guess I'll wait for an update, or maybe use Swiss more as a method of forcing widescreen or 480p on my LCD screens instead.

Maybe go RGB SCART instead? That's what I'm using on my PVM that doesn't do 480p. If you aren't making use if 480p may as well take advantage of the superiority of RGB. That's if your TV has a SCART input.

I think you can change the resolution of swiss via the settings.

I think you can change the resolution of swiss via the settings.

Yeah, I did give that a try but none of the options seemed to work. Checking out the options they all look to be progressive options, and it seems to default back to AUTO whenever I launch it with component cables plugged in.

Maybe go RGB SCART instead? That's what I'm using on my PVM that doesn't do 480p. If you aren't making use if 480p may as well take advantage of the superiority of RGB. That's if your TV has a SCART input.

Alas, SCART was pretty much not a thing here in Australia, I've literally only ever seen once SCART enabled TV in my life. I wish I still had it ._.

Guess I'm stuck waiting for a fix, oh well no biggie.

Peagles

Alas, SCART was pretty much not a thing here in Australia, I've literally only ever seen once SCART enabled TV in my life. I wish I still had it ._.

Guess I'm stuck waiting for a fix, oh well no biggie.

Bugger. That's odd though, since we pretty much share all the same stuff electronics-wise. SCART isn't huge here in NZ but it's still easy enough to find a second hand TV that has it.

RexRogers

Neo Member
Had two amazing garage sale finds in a row this weekend, pretty happy with the haul I picked up.

2 copies of Super Smash Bros. Melee
Metroid Prime with Prime 2 demo
Wind Waker
Twilight Princess
Luigi's Mansion
Mario Sunshine
Double Dash
Mario Golf Toadstool Tour
Sonic Adventure 2
Mario Party 6

All for $21.00. I've been finding pretty poor deals in this area for the last two years, that definitely was a turn in the right direction.

Excellent haul! It seems like whenever I've been to garage sales that advertise video games I'm competing with at least three other collectors. I just watch CL like a hawk and have had much better luck.

Goody

Popped into a Goodwill and, lo and behold, not only did they have a GameCube game, but they had one I actually wanted: DDR Mario Mix. I snooped around to see if there was also a dance mat, but no such luck. I'll be OK with the non-Mario theme myriad of GC compatible dance mats that came alongside Wii DDR release. I'm sure one of those will not be hard to find.

That said, this game is weird. Mario and Toad get a lot done through the power of dance. No previous experience with DDR, so this seems like a good entry point.

Speaking of no previous experience: out of the Mario Party games on GC, is there on in particular I should get?

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member

BvApc6_CMAApxgU.jpg

Awesome stuff, there.
They aren't my type of games, but still have them in my collection. My brother bought them when they were cheap.
Crazy how expensive they've got.

Top Bottom