• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo Party (aka The Folder Incident) (bka Backstabbo in the Cabo)

BuddyC said:
he mentioned how relieved he was that the Game Boy Micro had been shown
:lol So he posts 50 different stories of different GBA2 models and GBA models to be shown at E3, and one story turns out to be barely true. Yet he was relieved? This guy is UNBELIEVEABLE.

Looking at certain of the issues that have resulted from the initiation of the next gen hardware cycle, I'd say 'barely true' is at a premium right now ...

Anyway, I await the flipside of this with interest.

Damn I'd consider only paying $300 a blessing if I went out with a party that size, hell I often rack up $100 on my own easy. Even then though, shitty deal.

MC Safety

Yeah, it's genuinely sad what happened and regrettable someone got stuck with the bill.

That said, I'd really have been wary of the whole thing. First, it was set up by a guy has no problem making stuff up and then reworking his lies to claim he was right all along. He chose a meeting place that was really far away from downtown Los Angeles, and then claimed Nintendo would somehow magically pay for a party attended by people who post on a video game forum. It just really smelled fishy, all of it.

I know this Stefan guy only by reputation, and that reputation is crap.

BuddyC

Disco Stu said:
I know this Stefan guy only by reputation, and that reputation is crap.
We have a shared friend and he's vouched for Stefan since I met him, and I very much trusted this friend. Sadly, it seems that trust might have been misplaced. I'm just glad I was prepared and able to take care of everything.

Seth C

aoi tsuki said:
Yeah, i can't remember the site, but there was one guy that went by Viper that (IIRC) posted a story about him being a fatass who didn't pay child support and some other bits. i don't remember if it was because Fernando "sold out" or in response to something else, but it was complelety unnecessary and slanderous, and contained personal info. Most if not all of the "editors" of the offending site were only in it for the free games as they had become an affiliate with a major network at the time. The only Sega fansite community was pretty peaceful, held together by the people who were diehard Sega fans. It took everybody by surprise that people could be such assholes, especially to a guy (from what we knew) provided one of the best damned Sega sites around with SegaNet.

If it was Viper, that would be a friend of mine, Matt Lemay, and the site would have been Sega Otaku. As much as I like Matt now, he was a dick back then, which means he fit in quite well with the rest of the members of that website.

aoi tsuki

Seth C said:
If it was Viper, that would be a friend of mine, Matt Lemay, and the site would have been Sega Otaku. As much as I like Matt now, he was a dick back then, which means he fit in quite well with the rest of the members of that website.
Yeah, Sega Otaku was the site.

Didn't you have DCX for a while? i seem to remember chatting with you on ICQ about it ages ago. i've still got the downloadable DCX "issue" on my hard drive.

Seth C

aoi tsuki said:
Yeah, Sega Otaku was the site.

Didn't you have DCX for a while? i seem to remember chatting with you on ICQ about it ages ago. i've still got the downloadable DCX "issue" on my hard drive.

Yes, DCX was my site. Good old Dreamcast Extreme. I especially enjoyed doing the DCX "digizine" actually. If I ever got back in to the online magazine thing, I think I'd rather do it in a similar style, via issues.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
slow down chaps. Where is folder based? In the UK? Those flights probably got in over the weekend, or he's taken a sabbatical up to Las Vegas or SF. That, plus his jet lag means he's probably out of it for the first half of this week at least.

Before we damn him (and yes, I know its fun), someone should at least follow up with a phone call or give him some time.

damn Buddy C you seem like a stand up guy.

Now when i shoot you in the next Rainbow 6 or Ghost recon......Ill be crying a lil inside :(

xsarien

daedsiluap
mrklaw said:
slow down chaps. Where is folder based? In the UK? Those flights probably got in over the weekend, or he's taken a sabbatical up to Las Vegas or SF.

If he's in my neck of the woods, someone let me know and I'll make sure to pull a Police Academy on him as retribution.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
When I look at that group shot, all I see are a bunch of cheap fucks who won't pay for their own drinks.

Amir0x

Banned
An enthralling read, to be sure. I already heard most of these details, but it's nice to hear it fleshed out. Very interesting that he hasn't even tried to contact you in the last week. Whether or not he has a "side of the story", that's just outrageous with an event like this.

chespace

rod said:
wtf?

and uhh yeah rot in hell folder

Even if folder never showed up, did it not occur to people to like, say, pay for their own drinks? "gee, maybe we got fucking played. ah well, it's not our fault. these drinks should be free because it's our GAF-given right!"

Polari

People should probably wait for Folder's side of the story before condemning him. Not to say BuddyC's sounds like a lie or anything (in fact, he sounds like a stand up guy :)), just that it may have all been one big misunderstanding.

duckroll

chespace said:
Even if folder never showed up, did it not occur to people to like, say, pay for their own drinks? "gee, maybe we got fucking played. ah well, it's not our fault. these drinks should be free because it's our GAF-given right!"

Read the story. BuddyC willingly covered the party even though Folder didn't show. He didn't want to ruin a good time, more power to him. Folder better have a fucking good explaination for this. :p

Amir0x

Banned
chespace said:

Well, Buddy C did say he had several offers from forumers to help pay a large portion of the tab, so I wouldn't generalize because we don't know who actually did.

Although, on principle alone I agree with you... if BuddyC informed them that Folder totally ditched on the tab, they should have all on good faith paid toward whatever tab was accumulating even if BuddyC offered to do the thing like the [obviously] good man he is.

rod

Banned
chespace said:

i see where your coming from, completely, but still, i think that if the meetup was planned as a "buy your own drinks" event, that everyone wouldve still turned up for the meet anyway...

thats just what i think anyway, what folder done (well what he apparently done) cant be justified in a good/pleasant way, regardless if they are/were cheap or not.

jett

D-Member
chespace said:
When I look at that group shot, all I see are a bunch of cheap fucks who won't pay for their own drinks.

Heh, that's what I was thinking. You whores drank BuddyC's money. :p

Chittagong

Gold Member
chespace said:

Probably true, but to be honest, when I saw Folder pimping his "Nintendo-paid" party in GAF, I thought that "hmm... that's very cool of him". The impression he gave was "you drink, Nintendo pays, I fix".

Bailing out without a proper explanation adds up with the bullshit news he and his site spreads. Why he is stupid enough to act like a prick when everybody knows his real identity is beyond me. Maybe he's just plain stupid.

I was staying at the The Standard so pretty close, but didn't consider going the the meet because of him - I've heard from my PR folks to steer cleer of him. Sucks, since I could have hanged out with the rest of the GAF bunch, which I trust.

Tellaerin

chespace said:

Probably not, because of the way BuddyC handled the situation (which was pretty damn classy of him, IMO.)

BuddyC said:
Walking back to the bar, I made a decision that if Folder wasn't going to live up to his end of the bargain, then I would. It was my fault everyone had shown up tonight, some with cab fares upwards of thirty dollars, just to hang out with their fellow forum members and get drunk. After calculating what I could reasonably afford beyond what I'd already charged, I pulled the new waitress aside, gave her my card, a limit and asked her to call it "The Nintendo Party." Then I went around and informed everyone that it had been taken care of, to put their drinks on the Nintendo tab and when we hit the limit, that was it.

chespace

ahh... well, i guess buddy's story explains it all. what a shitty deal.

but still... one week later... no word from folder. wouldn't it just be easy to write this whole thing off as a learning experience?

if you drank, pay up, paypal.

rod

Banned
why dont ya'l just pay equally regardless of who drank more or less or whatever, who would remember anyway lol, if there was 10 ppl divide in 10 itl be such a small amount they probably wouldnt even feel it

chespace

etiolate said:
I would have known something was wrong when I heard "nintendo backing gaf".

a bigger hoax than thursdayton, to be sure.

and people holding out for a legit explanation from folder... that's like the nintendo way. wait for the next megaton!

btw: that shit about 360's backwards compatibility... i can dig up and post J Allard and Robbie Bach's quote about the matter when we ask them point blank whether 360 will have BC. and maybe i'll get around to digging that up sometime. for whatever reason, MS mislead us about BC... the only possible explanation is that they weren't quite sure they could pull it off themselves until just before E3.

miyuru

chespace said:
a bigger hoax than thursdayton, to be sure.

and people holding out for a legit explanation from folder... that's like the nintendo way. wait for the next megaton!

:lol :lol :lol

Anyway, I hope you GAF'ers had a fun night at least. Honestly I feel like Paypal'ing some money over too, but I see your point BuddyC in that you don't want to profit.

Well, just sympathetic. Props dude, for handling everything.

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
I had fun at the gathering despite the whole fiasco with Folder. It was good to meet some of the GAFers before the week long frenzy of E3 got under way. Next year we'll make sure not to get Punk'd again. :lol

Any1

Damn it, i read the the whole thing but i can't remember. Did BuddyC inform the group at all that there may have been a problem and that they should go under the assumption that something was amiss.

That individually they should kind of take notice of what they were ordering just in case?

Izzy

Banned
Stinkles said:
Haha, I remember Marcus Dyson. So he runs Spong? Before Team 17 he was the art director on Amiga Format.

He was the editor. From his Zool review (Amiga Format, October 1992 issue):

"This is the game that makes Sonic and Mario look like the sad creations of teams of deluded child psychologists that they are."

Let's face it, if Sonic was being reviewed in Amiga Format it would get ooh, about 91 per cent, sure that's good, but when you compare it to Zool's massive... ah, but that would be telling. You'll have to read on to find out, so don't cheat and go looking at the bottom of the page ahead of time. The only excuse for anyone to buy a console now would be Gremlin developing Zool for the GameGear.

He's THE OWNER of www.spong.com now.

Jonnyram

Izzy said:
He was the editor.
His wife was the art director, I believe :lol
She's followed him to Team 17 and Spong, unsurprisingly, even though she couldn't direct a piss-up in a brewery.

Izzy

Banned
Jonnyram said:
She's followed him to Team 17 and Spong, unsurprisingly, even though she couldn't direct a piss-up in a brewery.

:lol I had a horrible run-in with him back in the day...

Izzy

Banned
Jonnyram said:

Lovely Amanda was the art director of Amiga Power actually...doesn't change much, though... :lol

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Jesus, I can't believe I actually tried to defend him. I hope he comes with a great explanation after being busted in the "surfing users" list.

Edit: Oh, he is not in the active users list right now :lol

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Wow that's...crazy... anyway I'd wouldn't mind chipping in to help cover the tab... I can't wait to "hear" Folder's side of this incident.

MC Safety

norinrad21 said:
Folder is probably going to use his wife as an excuse.

Wait. I thought his excuse was that he believed the party was changed from Monday to Wednesday.

Which still doesn't explain why he would pop his head in at the bar on Monday around 10:30, only to quickly leave when he saw no familiar faces.

Top Bottom