• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo Switch Was The Best Selling Console In The U.S For The Fifth Year In A Row.

Codes 208

Considering how much more accessible its been during these times of transitioning to new consoles and a fucking outbreak that crippled said consoles launches, id say its a given

I have one, never touch it.

whoever uses this portable, arthritis is their future.

whoever uses this on their tv with a pro controller, needs to buy glasses, then stop playing.

coffinbirth

If we lived in a sane society this would be winning..

qwXIHNu.jpg

But we live in a Lizzo world sadly.
If by sane you mean without children or exclusive content, sure.

BlackTron

Do you know what sold even less? Double Dash, with 7 million copies, however, they didn't feel the need to port it to the much-hyped and successful Wii.

And they could have done it with a brand new title, but that didn't happen because Nintendo is a shadow of its former self, it's laughable. What's even more laughable is that some people act like they're the few good companies in le evil modern industry, when that's clearly not the case.

During the Wii era, Nintendo intentionally distanced themselves from traditional gaming and needed their Mario Kart to be all about the plastic steering wheel accessories.

The opposite was true going into Switch. Here they were intentionally distancing themselves from Wii type wackiness, and had a golden piece of traditional software held back by their last wacky system.

It was really a no-brainer to port MK, I'm sorry. I will say though, by this stage of the game I was hoping for more in-house developed stuff. Like because it's not an option to port the Gamepad dependent Starfox game, the Switch just won't even get one at all...come on. I admit Nintendo keeps their output up publishing a good stream of games but I'm talking about the real core Nintendo stuff, too much of it is either a port or came out in 2017.

Hurahn7

Banned
Is this an actual question? How can you not wrap your head around the notion that not all people are looking for teh bleeding edge in graphics? YOU might look at a Switch game and think it looks hideous; another person can look at the exact same game and think it's beautiful. And, OF COURSE they're buying it and playing it.
Slow down there sparky. You can't wrap your head around the notion that people buy stuff they don't use. Nintendo Switches included. I'm just wondering even with all these Switches sold if people are being serious with themselves. Yes it's an actual question. I rarely hear people talking about Switch. It's always PC, PS5, Xbox. I know it isn't an accurate gauge of popularity, but I still find it interesting.

Woopah

During the Wii era, Nintendo intentionally distanced themselves from traditional gaming and needed their Mario Kart to be all about the plastic steering wheel accessories.

The opposite was true going into Switch. Here they were intentionally distancing themselves from Wii type wackiness, and had a golden piece of traditional software held back by their last wacky system.

It was really a no-brainer to port MK, I'm sorry. I will say though, by this stage of the game I was hoping for more in-house developed stuff. Like because it's not an option to port the Gamepad dependent Starfox game, the Switch just won't even get one at all...come on. I admit Nintendo keeps their output up publishing a good stream of games but I'm talking about the real core Nintendo stuff, too much of it is either a port or came out in 2017.
At this stage almost all of their major franchises have at least one entry on Switch or announced for Switch (thought a couple of them only exist in Wii U port form).

The real issue is with the franchises that don't have a team dedictaed to continuing them (such as Starf Fox as you mentioned).

Mozza

Slow down there sparky. You can't wrap your head around the notion that people buy stuff they don't use. Nintendo Switches included. I'm just wondering even with all these Switches sold if people are being serious with themselves. Yes it's an actual question. I rarely hear people talking about Switch. It's always PC, PS5, Xbox. I know it isn't an accurate gauge of popularity, but I still find it interesting.
Not the most inclusive of sample size though, and which people are you talking too. There will be Playstation and Xbox owners that do not use their consoles as much as core hobby gamers, who I am assuming you are taking the opinions of. The notion the Switch has sold so many units, and a huge percentage of it's ownership just leave their consoles gathering dust is ludicrous, even more so when you consider the fact the Switch is going to sell over a billion pieces of software, if it hasn't already.

Why can't it just be that the majority of Switch owners don't care about graphics or frame rates, and do not feel the need to post on gaming forums, and spend their time telling every living soul how they love to play video games,you must have noticed that some times when you speak to regular people about the subject their eyes glaze over, or they have no idea when E3 is for example. Some just buy the Switch because it's a cool piece of tech and they like it's software. They enjoy playing video games but will have other interests outside of all this, I know this will be a real mind bender for some, but thinking outside of the core mindset just for once.............

Last edited:

zedinen

And yet, Sony and Microsoft dominate consumer spending in the US market.

According to Nintendo, Switch's peak year only generated $5.4 billion in revenue in the Americas.

Home consoles (PS1, PS2, 360, PS4) are more likely to play the main console role, while portable consoles, (GB, NDS, NSW), even though sell more units, are often relegated to secondary console status.

Hence the massive disparity in revenues between PS1 and GB or PS4 and NSW.

At the end of the day, being the main console is far more important than dominating hardware unit sales. And Nintendo has left the home console market ...

FY22 Sales (Fct)
PS 3.6 trillion yen
NSW 1.6 trillion yen

Enterprise Value
Sony $120.90 billion
Nintendo $43.87 billion

ManaByte

Gold Member

According to Nintendo, Switch's peak year only generated $5.4 billion in revenue in the Americas.

Home consoles (PS1, PS2, 360, PS4) are more likely to play the main console role, while portable consoles, (GB, NDS, NSW), even though sell more units, are often relegated to secondary console status.

At the end of the day, being the main console is far more important than dominating hardware unit sales. And Nintendo has left the home console market ...

FY22 Sales (Fct)
PS 3.6 trillion yen
NSW 1.6 trillion yen

Enterprise Value
Sony $120.90 billion
Nintendo $43.87 billion

Nintendo owns the Japanese gaming market. It doesn't matter how much money the Sony Corp parent company has, SIE isn't even able to sniff Nintendo's farts in Japan these days. Nintendo is sitting on so much cash they're going to need to build a money bin to hold it all. The Japanese gaming market IS Nintendo now, and the US and EU aren't too far behind.

ReBurn

Gold Member
People say Nintendo doesn't compete with Sony and Microsoft. It's only because Nintendo is so far ahead that Sony and Microsoft can't catch up.

sandbood

Banned

FY22 Sales (Fct)
PS 3.6 trillion yen
NSW 1.6 trillion yen

Enterprise Value
Sony $120.90 billion
Nintendo $43.87 billion
Nintendo Switch made more profits(nearly $20bn) in 6 years than the entire PlayStation systems combined(PS1+PS2+PS3+PSP+PS4+PSV+PS5) since the start of PlayStation division.

Last edited:

Deerock71

So the Switch Lite is classified as a console?
Well, this has been posted before by the PS2 acolytes as a potential defense claiming not all Switches are consoles. I'm not saying that's you, mind, but if the Switch surpasses 160 million, I don't think Nintendo will give a flying fuck whether somebody on a website forum sleeps better at night clinging to that scrap.

It'd be cool in Nintendo did work up a console with higher output hardware but statistically they've never done well against their contenders when they played that game. It's debatable that Nintendo 64 was a worthy graphical rival to PS1 or Saturn. However, Gamecube was no Dreamcast, PS2 or XBOX. They need to stick with software IMO. Doesn't mean that folks like you and I wouldn't find a way to mod a Switch. I think any tinkering that can be done from a homebrew engineering level -- has been tried.
Gonna have to disagree with you on N64 and Gamecube. N64 was definitely as powerful as ps1 and Saturn and Gamecube was more powerful than Dreamcast and about as good as Ps2, but less so than xbox. Look at all the 3d games n64 had that those other systems weren't capable of. Ocarina of time, banjo Kazooie, WaveMaker 64, f zero, and starfox. Gamecube when it came out had Luigis Mansion, Star Fox Adventure, eternal darkness and later Mario Sunshine, Resi Evil remake, Wind waker etc. Gamecube also had many of the same ports as ps2 like Soul Calibur 2. There was a Star Wars rogue squadron game that looked amazing too. Gamecube was a beast!

Gamecube, ps2, xbox was such a great time for console gaming. The leap in graphics felt huge going from ps1/n64 to the 3 next gen consoles at the time. All 3 felt state of the art.

Switch is on a downward trajectory and PS5 is on an upward trajectory. The paths have to cross at some point and I think 2023 is that year.
But Switch is coming from a super high peak and PS5 from a super low bottom.
I would bet money on 2024 not 2023. We'll see.

Woopah

But Switch is coming from a super high peak and PS5 from a super low bottom.
I would bet money on 2024 not 2023. We'll see.
For the current fiscal year (ending 31 March 2023) Nintendo has forecast 19 million for Switch and Sony has forecast 18 million for PS5.

Obviosuly we will need to see if the companies hit their targets, but they should be entering this year already selling quite similar amounts. Let see what happens for the rest of the year (a Switch price cut ould change things for instance)

FY22 Sales (Fct)
PS 3.6 trillion yen
NSW 1.6 trillion yen

Enterprise Value
Sony $120.90 billion
Nintendo $43.87 billion

There's nothing in Switch's software sales to indicate that it is "often relegated to second console status", especially not to the Xbox.

Top Bottom