• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nostalgia Critic |OT| He Remembers It So You Don't Have To

doug rarely offers any actual insight into his reviews. a lot of it is going over the plot of the film and what he likes or doesn't like. sometimes, it comes across as especially juvenile, as in any time where he decides to name characters by whatever nickname he comes up with. it just comes across as lazy. the editorials are pretty bad too. i think you need a lot of time to prepare something if you're going to take a serious shot at analyzing it. you can't just write up an essay in two weeks.

I'm pretty sure Doug put more time & effort into researching the movies he reviews than anyone ever did when they were released.

KalBalboa

Banned
I had a long conversation with some friends tonight while on a walk about Doug and how he seemed to really screw the pooch on transitioning from NC into regular sketch comedy videos.

I was really excited to see him spend some time, effort, and money on his "studio" projects until I say Demo Reel: Episode 1. He seemed so enthused about stepping his game up that I expected some better lighting, editing, effects, etc, but it was just more poorly chroma keyed pop-culture references.

I got through the first bit and stopped watching completely until NC came back, and even then it's a little tough these days to sit through them. He is capable of better, I think.

AniHawk

I'm pretty sure Doug put more time & effort into researching the movies he reviews than anyone ever did when they were released.

not what i mean. there's a difference between what he does and what mike and jay do on half in the bag, or what lindsay does with the nostalgia chick. doug seems like he is a great fan of entertainment, but i don't think he knows just how to put what he feels into words like those people can.

Froli

Linkara seems suffering this days. Some of you saw his youtube video about the ads and he looks miserable.

Nudull

Banned
I'm probably among the extreme minority on GAF who actually enjoys the AT4W story arcs. Linkara seems to have quite a passion for it, and it's given plenty of awesome moments. Also, I need to watch more NChick and Lupa.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I like AT4W's story arcs.

Me too.
They're silly but enjoyably silly. Plus, I've seen lesser reviewers attempt story arcs... HOO boy those are stinkers. Especially when they go all Mary Sue on us, it's outright unwatchable (see: multiple z-listers on the TGWTG forum and The Irate Gamer). At least when Linkara heard fans call him a Sue, he established that he can be vulnerable.

I do think he's spreading himself thin. If you read his update posts, he has far too much going on. Especially this summer where he's going to like 5 conventions. I think now is the time to take a break, I'm pretty sure the fans will understand if they don't get their weekly comic review.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Linkara seems suffering this days. Some of you saw his youtube video about the ads and he looks miserable.
I don't even use Adblock on their site because these people make a living entertaining us and they deserve the hits. Blip switched to a new Adblock detecting method and I'm glad they did.

wetwired

I used to love these guys (still do), I had no idea the 2010 self titled album even exists?! how was it?

Gonna grab it anyway but curious to know how it stands up to long time fans.

As for this new guy, never liked linkin park but I'm not really offended by the idea as I thought they were long dead anyway.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I used to love these guys (still do), I had no idea the 2010 self titled album even exists?! how was it?

Gonna grab it anyway but curious to know how it stands up to long time fans.

As for this new guy, never liked linkin park but I'm not really offended by the idea as I thought they were long dead anyway.

The fuck are you talking about?

On-topic: Doug announced that in preparation for a review of M. Night Shyamalan's The Last Airbender, he's going to watch all of Avatar: The Last Airbender AND make a vlog for each episode. http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vi...asses/specials/39420-the-last-airbender-vlogs

Arthrus

not what i mean. there's a difference between what he does and what mike and jay do on half in the bag, or what lindsay does with the nostalgia chick. doug seems like he is a great fan of entertainment, but i don't think he knows just how to put what he feels into words like those people can.

Yeah, the differences between Doug's background and Lindsay/Mike/Jay hinder him a lot. He has to resort to plot summaries, goofy antics, and yelling a lot more than those guys, even when he's clearly done some research. His characters reflect his inability to put substance before style, but he tries very hard. Good in small doses.
Can't stand the skits though. Guhhh.

KalBalboa

Banned
Yeah, the differences between Doug's background and Lindsay/Mike/Jay hinder him a lot. He has to resort to plot summaries, goofy antics, and yelling a lot more than those guys, even when he's clearly done some research. His characters reflect his inability to put substance before style, but he tries very hard. Good in small doses.
Can't stand the skits though. Guhhh.

The Nostalgia Critic isn't much of a character, despite Doug's constant insistence to the contrary.

His greatest weakness these days is editing and effects. That South Park review ending was so cringe worthy... I felt embarrassed for him and how dated and inexperienced he'd come off.

I just tried to watch his Indiana Jones and the temple of doom episode and the guy is fucking annoying. Hes way too high strung and screams the entire time. Fucking hell...

TEJ

The only consistently funny reviewer on the site is brad jones. He also happens to do a lot of movies the other people on that site don't do.

My problem with Linkara is that he reviews too many dull/bad comics and not enough campy/ridiculous/bad comics.

Mike and Jay do better critiques, skits, and humor than anyone on that site. The skits on TGWTG are not funny and are very amateurish.

Most of the reviewers on that site would be 100% better if they didn't do any skits.

maharg

idspispopd
My problem with Linkara is that he reviews too many dull/bad comics and not enough campy/ridiculous/bad comics.

Huh. I never thought about it, but this is exactly my problem with Linkara. He seems to feel the need to cover *everything* about something and it just gets tiresome after a while.

TEJ

Huh. I never thought about it, but this is exactly my problem with Linkara. He seems to feel the need to cover *everything* about something and it just gets tiresome after a while.

his kool-aid man reviews were great

same with the PSA comics, captain planet, etc.

comics that were created as shlock or unintentionally funny make for his best reviews.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Lindsay's style is really peculiar because she knows the ins and outs of directing, being a film major. Her approach is different. Albeit she's Disney biased lol

I just tried to watch his Indiana Jones and the temple of doom episode and the guy is fucking annoying. Hes way too high strung and screams the entire time. Fucking hell...

I honestly believe his last few videos prior to the revival have been poor.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's way too intrusive with multiple pops ups during videos now.
That part is indeed annoying. The overlays should go to hell. I don't mind the actual video ads except when they get repetitive, which they tend to do, a lot.

Also they don't know how to target the right audience at all. Ads for The Real Housewives of New Jersey are NOT going to affect people who sit at their computers watching videos of internet reviewers all day. I mean COME ON, do a little research, Blip. And don't get me started on the Virgin Airlines ads they were showing for months that made me jump for the mute key every goddamn time.

GavinGT

Banned
I keep getting the same Home Depot ad with a stupid cat and a guy shouting, and it ends with a seemingly nonsensical line about couch corners being destroyed. I honestly don't get it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I keep getting the same Home Depot ad with a stupid cat and a guy shouting, and it ends with a seemingly nonsensical line about couch corners being destroyed. I honestly don't get it.
Me too. I don't understand it at all. They don't understand that memes DO NOT WORK THAT WAY.

Advertising Firm: "Hey, cats are popular on the internet, hur hur. Let's make a website where people can create stupid pictures of cats with captions that they can share with their friends. Cats! Internet! Meme! Brilliant!"

You don't create something to be a meme. It becomes a meme organically. Not when it's forced on people. Memes can't be forced. Also Lowes is better so screw you, Home Depot.

AniHawk

cats fuck up furniture, like couch corners. just another reason why they are the worst.

maharg

idspispopd
Jeez is Doug really going to do one video for every single episode of Avatar? There's like 60 episodes.

maharg

idspispopd
Most of them probably won't be 10 minutes long like these first two.

So far they all have been heh. I'm actually watching them, though, mostly just to see when he has a lightbulb moment where he goes from being surprised that almost every episode is either good or really good to just accepting that the show as a whole is fantastic.

So far they all have been heh. I'm actually watching them, though, mostly just to see when he has a lightbulb moment where he goes from being surprised that almost every episode is either good or really good to just accepting that the show as a whole is fantastic.
Heh, that's what I'm waiting for too. I also watch for the predictions that he makes and his other observations. I also like how he went for not knowing any character names to knowing all of them.

Well you're gonna have to wait, because he just watched The Great Divide. :/

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Doug respects the Sokka, so he's alright in my book. This was my big problem with Bolin in Korra, is that he is just as goofy as Sokka, but lacks all the great things about Sokka like his desire to better himself, and leadership skills. Bolin is the comic relief only, where Sokka was the comic relief and a lot more.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
To be honest, I don't know why TNC is so popular. His videos are all low quality and amateurish. Hell he doesn't even have a microphone!

Top Bottom