• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nostalgia Critic |OT| He Remembers It So You Don't Have To

Davey Cakes

I'm still baffled that people watch bum reviews.
I don't watch all of them, but I do enjoy them on occasion.

Every time he says "Oh my god this is the greatest movie I've ever seen in my life!"

For some reason I consider it a guilty pleasure just for that. Funny that he always goes from saying the movie is the greatest thing to immediately analyzing it and realizing otherwise.

Veelk

Banned
The problem is that bum reviews are the same exact joke over and over.

"ZOMG, GREATEST MOVIE EVER! NOW LET ME DESCRIBE THE PLOT IN THE MOST ZANY WAY POSSIBLE, BUT FAILING THAT, I'LL JUST YELL IT AT YOU!"

every time.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Heh, that's what I'm waiting for too. I also watch for the predictions that he makes and his other observations. I also like how he went for not knowing any character names to knowing all of them.

He had the best observation during the video for The Storm, where he totally noticed Azula in the crowd (which I totally missed my first time through), and said her character design was too good for her not to come up again.

maharg

idspispopd
He had the best observation during the video for The Storm, where he totally noticed Azula in the crowd (which I totally missed my first time through), and said her character design was too good for her not to come up again.

I think The Storm was the first review where he didn't say "for a kid's show," incidentally.

It begins.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I thought he was kinda obvious with his dislike in MoS in his review... and there are points that I really disagree with him, but that's for the MoS thread.

AniHawk

saw the film in theaters actually. i think i remember the theater more than the film.

and god, turbo was such a shitty part of power rangers overall. the final episode where they get the shit kicked out of them was pretty good though.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
What the hell. The villain was the genetically engineered nutter in DS9....

Lauren.jpg

Boss Doggie

Divatox is pretty hot though, all things aside.

With that said the movie is a fumble on Power Rangers continuity.

Didn't they have to cover up that outfit for the show proper? lol

Also, I liked the midair morph (Kat <3), and Justin's facing the wrong way in the group morph later on was funny :)

My knowledge of Power Rangers is admittedly limited, but I come for Johnny Young Bosch and stay for Johnny Young Bosch. Very happy that Doug namedropped him specifically twice in this review.

My knowledge of Power Rangers is admittedly limited, but I come for Johnny Young Bosch and stay for Johnny Young Bosch. Very happy that Doug namedropped him specifically twice in this review.
Yong

JYB is pro - he transitioned nicely from sad frog guy to the Nolan North of anime/video games.

Can't wait for Marvel vs. Capcom 4, starring JYB as everyone, doing both English and Japanese voices.

Boss Doggie

JYB is awesome

Fuck Saban and his cheap ass for not calling him for the Super Megaforce "comeback" special.

The Turbo review had me laughing quite a few times especially the parts with zordon. So many good facial expressions. Also the costume work was top notch work. It's a shame Doug never watched the series. I'm about the same age as him but remember watching the whole thing... I loved the campiness and had a major crush on kimberly lol.

Or then again, maybe I'm the odd one. I'm so glad I never saw this movie.

Boss Doggie

The Turbo review had me laughing quite a few times especially the parts with zordon. So many good facial expressions. Also the costume work was top notch work. It's a shame Doug never watched the series. I'm about the same age as him but remember watching the whole thing... I loved the campiness and had a major crush on kimberly lol.

Or then again, maybe I'm the odd one. I'm so glad I never saw this movie.

The movie wrought about so much fan-anger because of its plot holes. With that said, I wonder how Doug managed to get the "even the fans hate it" and stuff like Rita if he doesn't watch the series.

The movie wrought about so much fan-anger because of its plot holes. With that said, I wonder how Doug managed to get the "even the fans hate it" and stuff like Rita if he doesn't watch the series.

Linkara? Or maybe he heard so much about this sinker he did some serious research on it. Either way all the prep work sines in this review. He may not be familiar with the source material but he sure made a convincing video critique. :) Critic 2.0 is sure hitting his stride.

Video was pretty good. The extra stuff with the other actors worked pretty well with the material.

I never saw the Turbo movie as a kid, but I liked the series proper at the time. Having gone back and watched the movie since, its biggest crime is that it's just really dull. Nothing much of anything actually happens. Compare to the MMPR movie where it's one big stream of things: jumping from the skydiving, to rollerblading, then zipping them off to an alien planet with holy shit, get this, actual fight scenes dispersed throughout. One's a fun, campy action movie; the other's a bore.

Divatox is fabulous though.

Yong

Derp. Yet another reminder that my brain shuts down after midnight without the aid of caffine :S

JYB is pro - he transitioned nicely from sad frog guy to the Nolan North of anime/video games.

Can't wait for Marvel vs. Capcom 4, starring JYB as everyone, doing both English and Japanese voices.

JYB is the pro-est of the pro. I would be perfecly fine with him voicing everyone ever, knowing his rather impressive range.

Boss Doggie

Oh yeah Divatox is awesome.

iirc they switched actresses midway in the show because she got pregnant?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Boss Doggie

Never watched LotR... so the eagle thing is a big deal among the fans huh?

Also I wonder when Chick will end her book review? I miss her vids :(

Loxley

As a big fan of Doug's work and also a card-carrying member of TolkienGAF, I thought I'd toss in my two-cents on this one.

11. That's a pretty easy one, the bridge was unstable after being split in half and no one with any common sense would run out to try and grab him with risk of the rest of the bridge collapsing. Also, the point that Doug brings up about not wanting to get shot by the orcs chasing them is a much more valid point than I think he's giving credit for.

10. I agree with him on this one, it's not the "number" of endings that's the problem - the audience needed closure on all of these storylines after three films - it's just the way they're edited together. Far too many fade-to-blacks, the reference to Clue was fucking great.

9. I've never minded Gimli's comic relief moments, I think he was a nice contrast to the self-seriousness of Aragorn and Legolas. Sure, a lot of the humor around him was a bit lame, but hardly worth getting upset over. Besides, his character wasn't incompetent when it mattered.

8. This I agree with as well, albeit only to a degree. We never get the impression that Legolas is ever in any real peril. That said, these are fantasy movies. If you're going to show me an epic battle sequence, don't just show me stuff I can see in a zillion other historical epics; get creative and use the material to your advantage. You have elves and 50-foot elephants? Hell yes I want to see them fight head-to-head. But yeah, he was a little too perfect.

7. Meh, the number of close-up shots never really occurred to me.

6. Yep, Denethor was really simplified for the films. He was just constantly pissed and screaming at everything. His death was also made out to be far more ridiculous in the film (in the books he just dies on the fire, none of that getting up and running silliness).

5. With the exception of the Aragorn fake-out death from The Two Towers, all of those others were in the books.

4. As Doug mentions, this whole thing with Arwen dying was another invention of Jackson & Co. It serves no real purpose other than to add more drama. So yeah, it doesn't make any sense.

3. This is where Doug is a bit off. Sam and Frodo's relationship isn't meant to show just "friendship", it's supposed to mirror the bond that forms between soldiers on the battlefield (Tolkien was a WWI veteran), specifically the bond that grows between a British officer and his batman (assistant). Although I agree that a lot of their dialogue is pretty cheesy at times, a lot of it straight from the book - so I can't get too upset about it.

2. Yep, this is definitely a big gripe that fans have with RotK. Saruman never gets a big payoff. He does in the books, but that would have added another hour to run-time, so it's understandable why that particular moment was cut. However, even Christopher Lee was saddened that his death was cut from the theatrical version.

1. Saw this one coming from a mile away. I am so tired of having to explain the eagles to people that I don't even bother anymore. People don't really want to know why the eagles couldn't just solve everything immediately, because if they'd did they need only do a quick Google search to find out and this would never need to be brought up again. I completely agree that the films could have one or two expository lines of dialogue that completely explain why the eagles can't just fix everything themselves. But at this point I'm over people complaining about this (although it didn't help when they appeared in The Hobbit and started this debate all over again). Doug can bemoan the explanations that people have come up with all he wants, but it doesn't make them any less valid.

maharg

idspispopd
[note: haven't watched this video yet] The eagles aren't a plot hole, but they are at least a deus ex machinas, in both the books and the films. It's just weird to single them out since there are so many of those in Tolkien's work (which is entirely appropriate given the kind of mythological literature it was built to emulate).

But it's not surprising when modern audiences balk at a particularly obvious and kind of unearned DEM.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The eagle do make more sense in the books though. The movies they appear out of nowhere twice with no explanation whatsoever.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The eagle do make more sense in the books though. The movies they appear out of nowhere twice with no explanation whatsoever.

even in the movies, it's not hard to figure out using them would be a bad idea

imagine them fighting with those fell beasts again, except this time there's somebody on their back carrying the ring, or even say they're just carrying the thing in a bag. you want to take the risk of taking The One Ring into air combat? really?

Boss Doggie

Me too. I haven't even watched any of those videos at all. And I usually watch everything.

Her last proper non-Shades of Grey vid was about LGBT in Disney movies right?

Same here! What's keeping her? Is she too busy studying for her Master's Degree? (Is she still going after that?) These 50 Shades videos are just not cutting it.

I think she is finished with her degree... unless she's doing master's?

Same here! What's keeping her? Is she too busy studying for her Master's Degree? (Is she still going after that?) These 50 Shades videos are just not cutting it.

She posted this to her Facebook page at the beginning of the month.

"At this point I've gotten enough questions on the issue that I feel it warrants a response, so here goes:

I'm not dead. I'm sick. Without going into too much detail, an old ailment has flared up. It does this every few years or so, and this particular episode has been a rough one. I've been in treatment for a little while and I'm hopping from doctor to doctor trying to find the right cocktail to get my brain back in working order. It's nothing dramatic or out of the ordinary, and I may expound on it later and in more helpful detail, but for now we'll leave it at this; my machine is broken. It's in the shop right now. Don't confuse this for fishing for compliments or pity, but it's been a while since I've produced anything, and I feel I owe at least a simple explanation. This one is all I have to offer right now, for what that's worth.

Thanks for your patience and concern. "

Hope everything is okay and she's better and feels up to making more videos soon.

Top Bottom