• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nostalgia Critic |OT| He Remembers It So You Don't Have To

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Sucks that about trailers, NC only talked about Pixar.

Shitty trailers for animated films are quite common for instance.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

I know he did Labyrinth recently because of Bowie's death, but with him doing Phantom of the Opera next week, right after Lindsay did Phantom on her Loose Cannon show, I can't help but wonder if he's trying to one-up her.

So, possibly in response, Lindsay just went and made a full video essay about the Joel Schumacher Phantom movie. 40 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m5I_5Vnh6A

Garlador

He's pretty much the same character from MoS though.

He's the same character... only they really buckled down on his sour, dour, grumpy, scowl-y attributes.

I remember AngryJoe saying that MoS was an inexperienced Superman on the first big day of his job, and that in the right hands he would grow into the role, learn from the experience, and - after his "failures" in MoS - now have the knowledge and experience to course-correct and become the inspirational hero the world would need in the sequels.

... Which is why Joe was also angry the moment he heard Man of Steel 2 had turned into "Batman... featuring Superman".

Cheerilee

Kind of interested to see next week's review. How did Joe love Man of Steel and hate BvS.

I just tried to watch both his MoS review and his BvS review, and I couldn't make it through five minutes of each.

For MoS, he was orgasming over the Baysplosions, saying "WTF is wrong with you critics?", and there was a point where he derided Clark Kent's farm boy heritage which gave me the sense that he doesn't actually love Superman, it's just like... a surface level thing, where he's in love with the idea of being in love with Superman, or something like that.

In his BvS review (which again, I didn't see more than a fraction of), he said that he was conflicted, because the movie was giving him everything he ever wanted, but he found himself unable to shut off that part of his brain that thinks rationally.

Boss Doggie

Why the fuck would a superman fan not like his farm boy heritage? That's the whole point of his character.

Anyways, just checked out his Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain video.

I honestly didn't get the hate for the show (even though I dislike Elmyra), though I admit it really didn't have to exist.

And looking forward to another Nostalgia Critic and Angry Joe crossover, though I kind of wished they had waited out on the home video release; I'm honestly not a fan of the format used for reviewing films that were then-released in theaters. But I admit they are pretty funny; never did finish the Mad Max: Fury Road review, as the audio was way off playing it on my phone.

Update: Oh god! I remember the Speed Racer film! Hated that the backgrounds were CG for some reason. :/

But John Goodman as Pops Racer wasn't half bad.

Cheerilee

Anyways, just checked out his Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain video.

I honestly didn't get the hate for the show (even though I dislike Elmyra), though I admit it really didn't have to exist.

I forgot that show existed until just now.

I remember Tiny Toons and Animaniacs were great, and Pinky and the Brain was one of the highlights of Animaniacs, so it wasn't surprising that they got their own show, although I was starting to tune out by that point.

Elmyra was probably the least popular character on Tiny Toons, a show which ended six years beforehand. Adding her to the mega-popular Pinky and the Brain was a move that screamed "network interference", and would've only worked if the series creators were doing it ironically, but apparently it wasn't clever irony, it was just network interference. And as NC mentioned, it changed the balance of the show to just "Elmyra and the Brain".

I never actually gave the show a chance. I just saw it existed, shook my head in disbelief and walked away.

I forgot that show existed until just now.

I remember Tiny Toons and Animaniacs were great, and Pinky and the Brain was one of the highlights of Animaniacs, so it wasn't surprising that they got their own show, although I was starting to tune out by that point.

Elmyra was probably the least popular character on Tiny Toons, a show which ended six years beforehand. Adding her to the mega-popular Pinky and the Brain was a move that screamed "network interference", and would've only worked if the series creators were doing it ironically, but apparently it wasn't clever irony, it was just network interference. And as NC mentioned, it changed the balance of the show to just "Elmyra and the Brain".

Yup great shows back in the day, and I enjoyed every bit of the solo Pinky and the Brain cartoon too.

And yup, the network very much jumped the shark when they wanted to have Elmyra be part of the main cast. At least props to the writers and animators for putting some hard work on the show.

Also FYI, in case anyone doesn't know, Animaniacs can be streamed on Netflix.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The NC's thoughts on Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain mirror my own. Yeah, it's clearly a quick cashi-in concept, but the show itself wasn't bad. The plots might not be stellar, but the writing was still funny and clever. And the show was also self-aware, which also helps out quite a bit.

I'd honestly probably put it above Histeria.

Cheerilee

I remember being really "on the fence" at the start while I was watching Speed Racer. I wanted to like it, and I liked some of what the movie was doing, and I was trying to twist myself into a position where I could just go with it, but I was really reaching. And then that point happened, the one in the middle of the review, the one NC called "tonal homicide", and I just gave up on the movie. I finished watching, but I might as well have just turned off the movie and walked away, because I was done. Nothing in the movie clicked for me after that.

Boss Doggie

I disagree on the grounds that it captured the spirit of the show right. But I guess there are people who thought anime are serious stories or something, especially when their entry anime came from the 90's.

He's pretty much the same character from MoS though.

I think Joe was upset that they spoiled so much of Superman in one movie. I guess his summary is "They blew their load too early and all at once". Or something like that. I think that is a pretty valid complaint if you are a huge Superman fan and the film makers decide to fast track doomsday and
the death of Superman
all in one movie.

Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain – Was That Real?

You guys totally won't guess what next week's review is from those EXTREMELY SUBTLE hints from the last review.

I totally forgot that this was even a thing, and It really wasn't that bad considering what they were working with. Pinky and The Brain and Larry was fucking great though.

Cheerilee

It needs to be CG to work. Also damn underrated film that gets love in home release.

I disagree on the grounds that it captured the spirit of the show right. But I guess there are people who thought anime are serious stories or something, especially when their entry anime came from the 90's.

I don't know about that. The first anime I really liked was Robotech, but I did see some Astro Boy and Speed Racer before that. I just hit youtube to check out some bits and pieces of the original Speed Racer as a refresher, and it pretty much confirmed what I figured.

The cartoon wasn't trying to be "a cartoon", it was using the only tool at it's disposal to convey fairly realistic characters (by cartoon standards), vehicles, and locations. The cars are stylized and exotic. The locations are scenic and interesting. Winding mountain roads, racetracks that likely don't exist but look like maybe they could be built somewhere if someone wanted. It's not F-Zero GX. I didn't see anything in there that couldn't be done with a combination of custom cars, location shooting, and a bit of Hollywood magic, especially with a Wachowski budget.

The movie went past "cartoon" into "surreal". Closer to Dr Seuss and Willy Wonka than Speed Racer. It's like, the Wachowski's could have chosen to make Sean Connery's James Bond, but they instead chose to make Austin Powers. That's one way to do it, but it's not the only way. And then, as NC asked, if you're going to paint the walls with the particular shade of madness you decided on, why didn't they find some sort of new way to animate the characters, go all-in like Peter Jackson's "Tintin" movie did? Maybe use photoshop to put anime eyes on all the characters.

As for the story, Speed Racer was "simple adventure". Nothing wrong with that, I like that. But "the Movie" needs to be a bit bigger than an episode. And the movie was going bigger. And then in the middle of a Tim Curry-esque supervillain monologue (not exactly Shakespeare) it interrupts to... I don't even know how to describe that scene. It's like the "story" in the Speed Racer movie absolutely refuses to be given credit for anything at all. Why does it undermine itself? If it doesn't want to take itself seriously, why was it acting even remotely serious in the first place?

It needs to be CG to work. Also damn underrated film that gets love in home release.

I admit it wasn't too bad, but it could have been better.

And the CG does kind of work during the racing scenes, however it felt pretty unnecessary when Speed was just driving outside of races, such as the earlier scene when we first see his house.

And also, missed opportunity for the "A Family Picture" gag when Spritle flipped the bird.

Boss Doggie

I don't know about that. The first anime I really liked was Robotech, but I did see some Astro Boy and Speed Racer before that. I just hit youtube to check out some bits and pieces of the original Speed Racer as a refresher, and it pretty much confirmed what I figured.

The cartoon wasn't trying to be "a cartoon", it was using the only tool at it's disposal to convey fairly realistic characters (by cartoon standards), vehicles, and locations. The cars are stylized and exotic. The locations are scenic and interesting. Winding mountain roads, racetracks that likely don't exist but look like maybe they could be built somewhere if someone wanted. It's not F-Zero GX. I didn't see anything in there that couldn't be done with a combination of custom cars, location shooting, and a bit of Hollywood magic, especially with a Wachowski budget.

The movie went past "cartoon" into "surreal". Closer to Dr Seuss and Willy Wonka than Speed Racer. It's like, the Wachowski's could have chosen to make Sean Connery's James Bond, but they instead chose to make Austin Powers. That's one way to do it, but it's not the only way. And then, as NC asked, if you're going to paint the walls with the particular shade of madness you decided on, why didn't they find some sort of new way to animate the characters, go all-in like Peter Jackson's "Tintin" movie did? Maybe use photoshop to put anime eyes on all the characters.

As for the story, Speed Racer was "simple adventure". Nothing wrong with that, I like that. But "the Movie" needs to be a bit bigger than an episode. And the movie was going bigger. And then in the middle of a Tim Curry-esque supervillain monologue (not exactly Shakespeare) it interrupts to... I don't even know how to describe that scene. It's like the "story" in the Speed Racer movie absolutely refuses to be given credit for anything at all. Why does it undermine itself? If it doesn't want to take itself seriously, why was it acting even remotely serious in the first place?

I think that's why it worked, because it managed to capture the movie's spirit, and I thought it "made it big" by turning the simple setting of the anime into an "racing is serious business" world in the movie. And yeah real locations, but they did stylized it to be more animated, and honestly it has a consistent feel to its visuals which I think is welcome

and I dunno, I feel NC misses a lot on the point of the film by saying that, since I think the visuals work despite the characters being well, non-animated. That and NC's bias against Wachowskis.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
One of the better clipless reviews. The focus definitely helped (that and having seen it).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Agreed, this is more in line as to what I want in a clipless review. Now I just hope that the next one isn't like Mad Max & such.

Jawmuncher

One of the better clipless reviews. The focus definitely helped (that and having seen it).

Agreed, this is more in line as to what I want in a clipless review. Now I just hope that the next one isn't like Mad Max & such.

Yep, can agree this was a good clipless review and how I would like the other's in this format as well.

Gotta say I more or less agreed with both of them. I don't hate the movie but it has a lot of obvious flaws. The lack of build up being one of the biggest issues.

Pretty good episode to sit through, it being my 2nd time checking out clipless reviews (first being Jurassic World); starting to actually get use to those types of reviews, quite frankly.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Damn, after watching this and listening to the Soundtrack, I fucking need this movie right now, why the hell is there no Blu-Ray???

Top Bottom