• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nostalgia Critic |OT| He Remembers It So You Don't Have To

Special Christmas video

He talks about something he did every year for his mother that he can't do anymore.

Disneycember: Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas

Very touching video regarding Doug and his mother. I really know how that feels when you lose someone near and dear to you, especially when you knew them for so long.

As for Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas, that film really wasn't too bad, though weird seeing how some of the characters were drawn before, particularly Mortimer Mouse. I could see him reviewing Twice Upon a Christmas, maybe next year if he doesn't cover it by the end of this month.

And next video.

Disneycember - The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning

I personally didn't find this film that bad. It was good to know who Ariel's mother was and her death by pirates crashing their ship on her making me understand why King Triton has an especially strong disdain towards humans. But I felt it was kind of stupid for her to be on the path of a moving ship just to
grab that music box

And I honestly didn't think Ariel's sisters were very well developed beyond each being given different personality traits and Marina Del Rey was indeed a waste of a villain (and idea of a character) who's role could have easily gone to Ursula and showcased her banishment. Though I did get some enjoyment out of the manatee character, Benjamin.

Plus on a side note (not necessarily criticism, but rather a personal nitpick for me), apparently two of Ariel's sisters had their ages retconned, though you would have to check the special features for their confirmed ages; Attina (the one with the red tail, brown hair and wears a crown like Triton) is the oldest in this film, but before that, Aquata (blue tail, brown hair in a ponytail, and the one that makes those hilarious dance moves in Ariel's Beginning), was originally the oldest, but is the 4th oldest for that film.

But my sisters enjoyed the film, particularly my older sister since she is a huge fan of the Little Mermaid. Eh but they do get a lot of enjoyment on the Disney DTV sequels in general and not exactly ones to to take into account the quality, though they will at least say, they will always prefer the original Disney films. Not helped that most of the DTV films that Doug reviewed are currently available for streaming on Netflix.

Cheerilee

Disneycember - The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning

I personally didn't find this film that bad. It was good to know who Ariel's mother was and her death by pirates crashing their ship on her making me understand why King Triton has an especially strong disdain towards humans. But I felt it was kind of stupid for her to be on the path of a moving ship just to
grab that music box

And I honestly didn't think Ariel's sisters were very well developed beyond each being given different personality traits and Marina Del Rey was indeed a waste of a villain (and idea of a character) who's role could have easily gone to Ursula and showcased her banishment. Though I did get some enjoyment out of the manatee character, Benjamin.

Plus on a side note (not necessarily criticism, but rather a personal nitpick for me), apparently two of Ariel's sisters had their ages retconned, though you would have to check the special features for their confirmed ages; Attina (the one with the red tail, brown hair and wears a crown like Triton) is the oldest in this film, but before that, Aquata (blue tail, brown hair in a ponytail, and the one that makes those hilarious dance moves in Ariel's Beginning), was originally the oldest, but is the 4th oldest for that film.

But my sisters enjoyed the film, particularly my older sister since she is a huge fan of the Little Mermaid. Eh but they do get a lot of enjoyment on the Disney DTV sequels in general and not exactly ones to to take into account the quality, though they will at least say, they will always prefer the original Disney films. Not helped that most of the DTV films that Doug reviewed are currently available for streaming on Netflix.

Yeah, I liked that they brought in Ariel's mother, and
had her die
to show how Ariel and Triton wound up with the relationship that they had in the original (with Triton being a single father, trying to do what he thinks is best but not doing a very competent job raising Ariel), as well as explaining Triton's feelings towards humans in the same stroke, but the scene itself is kind of broken, and I think it's because someone really wanted to do that scene, and someone else wouldn't allow that scene to be done.

It's like Doug's observation that Marina is Ursula with a new name for some reason. It's because someone wanted Ursula to be in the movie, and someone else denied it. Then that first person came back and said "Okay, I've replaced Ursula with a totally-not-Ursula original character who I'm calling Marina." And the person above gave those changes their stamp of approval. It's executive meddling on display. I find it fascinating when you can see a good movie trying (and failing) to break out of a Disney Sequel.

Although the main thrust of the movie (Triton banning music until Ariel changes his mind) is pretty bad. And more than that, it's a missed opportunity to try and do something good. But you know that the writer was pitching ideas to the higher-ups, and there were probably some pretty good ideas getting shot down, and this was the story concept which was allowed to continue.

Although the main thrust of the movie (Triton banning music until Ariel changes his mind) is pretty bad.

Yeah I thought it was pretty bad, especially given that Ariel and Triton will be going through a decent amount of disagreements in the TV series (though that may or may not be canon given that both Ariel's Beginning and the TV series apparently have different scenarios where Ariel meets Flounder) and then the original film, meaning Triton really should have already known better than to be way too harsh to his daughter. And then he starts realizing that he pushed things to far. That part were he
destroys Sebastian's music club
looks similar to him destroying Ariel's possessions in her grotto.

Thankfully Ariel's Beginning was that last Disney DTV sequel/prequel/midquel associated with the Disney Animated Canon to be produced before John Lasseter issued the ban.

Update: Disneycember - Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas

Disneycember - Inspector Gadget 2

I thought this was more true to the cartoon than the first film, but I thought it was only slightly enjoyable (emphasis on slightly). Plus it did bother me that the sequel had a decent amount of retcons from the first film, not that I enjoyed the first films stuff to the begin with. But the consistency between both films is pretty lacking.

Getting back to Doug's video on Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas, I'm surprised he didn't take some time to take into account that Max essentially broke up with Roxanne and got a new girlfriend, given that one of his criticisms was the absence of Roxanne in Extremely Goofy Movie, IIRC.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Did they do some reshoots because of Carrie Fisher's passing and that's why it came out today instead of Tuesday?

In the previous episode he mentioned that this episode was going to be delayed by a day, which was before Fisher had her fatal heart attack.

So I doubt there were any reshoots.

zeemumu

In the previous episode he mentioned that this episode was going to be delayed by a day, which was before Fisher had her fatal heart attack.

So I doubt there were any reshoots.

Ah okay.

They showed a picture of the Clone Wars show when they said that some were awful, but I've heard good things about both that show and Rebels.

Ah okay.

They showed a picture of the Clone Wars show when they said that some were awful, but I've heard good things about both that show and Rebels.

Actually that poster was for the movie, which was just the first few episodes of the show glued together and released in theaters. That did suck, but the show itself as well as Rebels are some of the best things to happen in Star Wars.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
didn't the movie version also have better graphics?

Disneycember - Inspector Gadget 2

I thought this was more true to the cartoon than the first film, but I thought it was only slightly enjoyable (emphasis on slightly). Plus it did bother me that the sequel had a decent amount of retcons from the first film, not that I enjoyed the first films stuff to the begin with. But the consistency between both films is pretty lacking.

Getting back to Doug's video on Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas, I'm surprised he didn't take some time to take into account that Max essentially broke up with Roxanne and got a new girlfriend, given that one of his criticisms was the absence of Roxanne in Extremely Goofy Movie, IIRC.

when does Twice Upon a Christmas take place? since in House of Mouse Max and Roxanne were still an item

Cheerilee

Ah okay.

I don't think they timed the photos to say that Clone Wars (or more specifically the mashed-together pilot movie) was awful.

Chris Stuckmann was talking about the Expanded Universe, and he said "Books, videogames, comics, and a lot of them had a wide variety of acceptance. Some were great, some were awful, some were just okay."

When he said "books" that lined up to a slide of books, then they lingered on the books and skipped putting up a slide of videogames, and hit again on a slide of "comics" but hung on it for too long again. Then they hung on a shot of Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 (a videogame) from "variety of acceptance" through "some were great" (which seems like an very odd example to use either for mixed reviews or greatness), and then they seemed to hit on Clone Wars for "awful", but then they lingered on Clone Wars through "just okay".

They seemed to be making a theme when they hit on matching the words with slides of books and comics, but there's too much looseness to conclude that they tried for a punch on Clone Wars. They were just talking about the Expanded Universe and how there's a ton of variety in there.

Thinking about it, I think they missed an opportunity there to point out some of the good, bad, and in-between of the Expanded Universe.

Although I should say that even beyond the mashed-together pilot movie, the Clone Wars CGI animated series starts pretty rough, and I've never managed to get into it, despite three or four serious attempts. But people say it gets a lot better once it really gets going, and there are some guides that suggest skipping a bunch of early episodes.

when does Twice Upon a Christmas take place? since in House of Mouse Max and Roxanne were still an item

Not really certain about the canon itself, though House of Mouse aired from 2001 to 2003, while Twice Upon a Christmas was released in 2004. And I think that film was the last thing to feature Max at that point.

Boss Doggie

On that note, I like how we never make seperate threads for this e-celeb as we keep it to this one thread, and we are critical in his output rather than slobbering up whatever he says, unlike other e-celebs.

Not really certain about the canon itself, though House of Mouse aired from 2001 to 2003, while Twice Upon a Christmas was released in 2004. And I think that film was the last thing to feature Max at that point.
huh, you're right, we haven't seen Max for over a decade!

Boss Doggie

Helps that he's not a gaming e-celeb, so there's that. Fanboys seem to flock on gaming related things.

On that note, I like how we never make seperate threads for this e-celeb as we keep it to this one thread, and we are critical in his output rather than slobbering up whatever he says, unlike other e-celebs.

You can say Angry Joe, it's fine.

Also, Joe probably has a lot more fans in this forum than Doug.

Boss Doggie

You can say Angry Joe, it's fine.

Also, Joe probably has a lot more fans in this forum than Doug.

I'm not really being specific (hell he's not the one I'm thinking of if we're going for a specific person), it's a general sentiment, though like I said it seems gaming attracts that kind of worship than anything else

BatDan

BatDan

I enjoyed Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, though I have hope that Woody would get the same treatment as well.

Also it's interesting how none of the characters from the show ever crossedover into the movie, does Pixar not like the show?

The show aired back in 2000 (and reading about it, it only lasted 5 months. Still managed to air 65 episodes thanks to daily airings).

Toy Story 3 didn't happen until 2010, by then the show had been long forgotten.

Boss Doggie

I enjoyed Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, though I have hope that Woody would get the same treatment as well.

Also it's interesting how none of the characters from the show ever crossedover into the movie, does Pixar not like the show?

it's safe to assume in the TS canon, by the time TS3 came out Buzz Lightyear has become an artifact.

Reminds me of that Rugrats All Grown Up episode that highlighted Reptar, despite being big back when the cast were babies, became a forgotten icon in the present.

Boss Doggie

Argh, whenever I change the quality to Vidme player, it basically just stops playing.

Also I never realized Squeakuel is that old huh.

EDIT: was that Lindsay as Bumette

BatDan

Argh, whenever I change the quality to Vidme player, it basically just stops playing.

Also I never realized Squeakuel is that old huh.

EDIT: was that Lindsay as Bumette

No that's Heather Reusz from "Awesome Comics"
She showed up as the female Bum in the I'll Be Home For Christmas review.

tomtom94

Pretty sure Lindsay and Doug have some real beef; that may explain why the "gender-swapped" joke didn't involve a Chick reference.

Squeakquel is such a bizarre film, the weird thing is the screenwriters have some good credits (Simpsons, Kung Fu Panda, etc) but it's like they took every single element of the scripts and combined them together without leaving anything out.

There was some discussion on the CA forums about what films would be reviewed - apparently someone on Facebook guessed 7 films and Rob said three of them were correct:
Elektra, Smurfs 2, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, Independence Day: Resurgence, Alvin and the Chipmunks 2, Garfield: A Tale of Two Kitties and/or Alice Through the Looking Glass.

Obviously we've had Chipmunks. Rob has posted two updates about the next film, one of which is a big hint:

Watching the next film for sequel month.
Seriously... HOW is there still a half hour left???
I feel like time is going backwards.
Doug is praying 20 minutes of it is just credits and bloopers to pad it out.
I don't share his optimism.

The credits started... and there's still 10 minutes left!?
Oh my GOD... Doug was right!
And five writers? It took five writers and four story people to make, what is essentially, a Belgian cartoon!?
Urgh... end! EeeeEEEeeeeEEeeend!!!!!

Wow, the Squeakuel must have been a bigger mess than I thought, when I (against my will) was watching that in theaters.

The Chippettes having no clothes initially absolutely bothered me.

And I really gotta feel bad for David Cross, given what he wore at the end of the movie; it got pretty worse when he wore that pelican suit in Chipwrecked (also a film I was forced into watching).

And I held off on watching the Rogue One review until I watched the film myself. I'd say it was generally spot on, though I personally don't agree with Jyn and Cassian being that boring. I was very much engaged to them, though not to the extent of K-2SO. But YMMV.

Technically I wouldn't say that Rogue One is the first SW film to omit an opening crawl, but rather the Clone Wars film, though granted that was apparently 3 episodes merged into one movie. And I'm probably one of the few year that wasn't that bothered with the CG Tarkin
and Princess Leia
to notice anything conspicuous.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Couldn't help but wonder how many sequels would be on the list that he previously reviewed.

Not to give away which ones, but I counted

BatDan

A list with so many choices that Dishonorable Mentions were needed. I don't recall him doing that before (he's been at this for years so it's likely I forgot one).

So next week will be
Smurfs 2
and since the week after is January 31st, he'll probably do another review so he doesn't close the theme month with an editorial.

Cheerilee

Welp didn't see this coming.

The Nostalgia Critic guest cameos in PhantomStrider's Top 10 Worst Movies of All Time.

Pretty sure not many here know who PhantomStrider is, but he essentially does a lot of top 10 videos.

I watched his Top 10 Worst Cartoon Remakes episode. His number one pick was "Scooby Doo, all of them". I thought to myself "Yeah that's fair, if you exclude Mystery Incorporated, which was great."

Then he specifically called out Mystery Inc as being one of the terrible ones.

Nope. I ceased my exploration of his other videos, because I can no longer accept his opinion.

Top Bottom