• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nostalgia Critic |OT| He Remembers It So You Don't Have To

T'Zariah

Banned
His Jaws the Revenge review had me in stitches.

He has a different type of humor. One which I appreciate.

"Holy smokes that was dangerous *Drops dead*"

LMAO

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
She's like the Anti-Critic. Where Doug would review a movie and scream about how awful it was and go overboard like AGVN does (Which was why the whole similarities thing even came up in the first place), Lindsay analyzes everything and presents it in a much more calm matter like "here is the movie and here is what it does."

She recently did a Twilight review. But it wasn't a review of the movie. It was a review or observation of the audience and experience. It was brilliant. (And seeing as Maven had already reviewed the movie as did everyone else on the internet, there was no reason for her to also review a movie she didn't really care about.)

Yep. Hell even back in her first few videos she does the same thing, except less blatant. I guess it's due to her degree that she feels like doing it.

Also as much as I wail on her for thinking Wall-E is top 1 material and Digimon is being compared to Pokemon, I really appreciate that she loved Monsters vs. Aliens too and sees stuff from it. :p

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So guess what, guys? Doug finally realized that Demo Reel is an abject failure and he needs Nostalgia Critic. Skip to roughly 20 minutes in if you don't want to put up with some Demo Reel stuff.

If you don't want to watch the video:

- Nostalgia Critic is coming back next month
- New episodes will be every two weeks
- No more cutoff date for movies he can review (they can be from any decade now, not just "nostalgic" decades)
- It looks like Demo Reel is completely done, since the video wraps up Donny's story by turning him into the Nostalgia Critic

GavinGT

Banned

This was inevitable. It was either this or sit back and watch his entire business crumble. And I'm glad he's doing more than just nostalgic reviews.

I do hope he brings along some changes to the character as well. I could go without ever hearing his obnoxious scream again. Or without constantly spouting played out references to past reviews.

Also, as usual, Rob's character was the best part of that video.

Loxley

Not surprised at all, Demo Reel was terrible.

I'll give props to Doug for at least trying something new and not wanting to run Nostalgia Critic into the ground, but Demo Reel was just too different. For fans of the Nostalgia Critic, it didn't fill the gap at all. If he'd tried something where, on a base level, he did the same thing he did with NC (tear apart crappy movies) but with a new spin, then the outcome may have been different.

And new episodes every two weeks makes sense, he was clearly getting burned out with NC so this way he has more time to polish each episode.

G0523

Creatively this stinks. The Nostalgia Critic said it was done and it was done. Bringing it back revamped and with everything new will stain his own history. Plus, he's pigeon-holing himself and he will be known as The Nostalgia Critic forever, instead of Doug Walker.

Financially this must be exciting. He'll get almost all of his fans and viewers back and he'll continue to do this for many years. His website will make a comeback and he will be known as The Nostalgia Critic forever, instead of Doug Walker.

I haven't watched Demo Reel at all, as it didn't look very good. I can't help but feel bad for Doug though. He took a fairly big risk, and it didn't work. It's got to sting to have to come back to something you thought you were done with.

I feel sorry for Doug, too. Didn't watch any of Demo Reel, but him killing the Critic made me appreciate him a lot more. I loved his Sibling Rivalry and Disneycember segments.

ezekial45

Banned
I only saw a brief snippet of demo reel, and I didn't like it too much. Still, I'm sorry he had to end it and go back to the Nostalgia Critic. That must suck for him.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
What to expect from the new Nostalgia Critic:

1) Eardrum-piercing screeches
2) More fake gunshots/waving around a fake gun
3) Some random cameo with little to no relevance to the film

Though the Shazaam review is classic. Hope Doug succeeds this time around.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Poor Doug, I feel really bad for him. :< I watched the first few episodes of Demo Reel. I didn't think it was THAT bad, but it certainly didn't leave me excited for more. I hope this works out for him.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The worst part of all this is, Doug/Channel Awesome bought a studio for Demo Reel, rumored to have cost upwards of $200,000. I wonder what they're going to do with it now?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The worst part of all this is, Doug/Channel Awesome bought a studio for Demo Reel, rumored to have cost upwards of $200,000. I wonder what they're going to do with it now?

They didn't buy it, they rented it, and it's going to be used for other shows.

On one hand... I'm glad since I really liked the nc...

And yet this sucks because his "true" dream failed and he's a nice enough guy that I don't want to see that....

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Already commented in the official thread, but like I said there was some good in there, but you could see it was running out of steam. This to me seems like a bad idea to be honest though. I don't see much happening in the future for his career, I may be wrong though.

This is my post from the first page, just saying. Hopefully he didn't ruin his fanbase already, but I don't see how I didn't see this coming.

GavinGT

Banned
He clearly still has the itch to do something different. Hopefully NC will keep the ship afloat while he does something new on the side.

I wouldn't mind if Doug and Rob flat-out ripped off the Half in the Bag format.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
He clearly still has the itch to do something different. Hopefully NC will keep the ship afloat while he does something new on the side.

I wouldn't mind if Doug and Rob flat-out ripped off the Half in the Bag format.

Isn't that basically what Sibling Rivalry is, more or less?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Demo Reel had war too much post processing to be done quickly. Remember how long it took each anniversary special to get done over time? Longer and longer. They need something simpler. Sibling Rivalry was pretty good. I hope they keep doing that. And I won't mind NC coming back.

Well, that's a shame - to have to go back to what you thought you'd been rid of. He probably has to, if he put a lot of time into coming up with Demo Reel and expected all of his old fans to stick with that.

As an aside, I started watching Shameful Sequels, from Mike Jeavons- dude's seriously funny, in a dry sort of way (he's "a British guy"). Currently burning through his videos to catch up.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Nostalgia Critic could be good if he takes a page from Lindsay and finds a way to make amusing reviews for good stuff. Looking forward to the conclusion of her LotR review. Review nostalgic movie, not movies that are universally seen as crap.

Arthrus

It will be interesting to see how he does reviving his business.

Nostalgia Critic could be good if he takes a page from Lindsay and finds a way to make amusing reviews for good stuff. Looking forward to the conclusion of her LotR review. Review nostalgic movie, not movies that are universally seen as crap.

That, plus you usually learn something when watching the Nostalgia Chick. Her videos usually have some good insights the industry and the how/why keeps her interesting. Nostalgia Critic is 99% silly jokes and draws heavily from the show's memes. Not that the Critic should try to go the same route as Lindsay, but he does need to find a way to get in a little more substance. Less frequent reviews is a start.

Downhome

Wow, I had no idea about any of this when I bumped this thread up the other day. Did you guys all watch The Review Must Go On all the way through? I think it is frickin' brilliant, and an amazing way to reintroduce the NC character. I do feel for Doug, but as I said all along, he never should have just dropped the NC and tried to move on so quickly. Having the NC every two weeks should be great, and I love the new ideas for the show. I think, one day, he'll find something else that hits just as big if not even more so, but that day just isn't right now. I think he's a great guy with a great head on his shoulders, and the way he is dealing with all of this proves it to me.

I can't wait for what is to come!

I... didn't even know Demo Reel was a thing. I knew he retired the critic and was starting up a big studio (saw the tour), but never actually heard about him starting up new shows. Whoops.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
It will be interesting to see how he does reviving his business.

That, plus you usually learn something when watching the Nostalgia Chick. Her videos usually have some good insights the industry and the how/why keeps her interesting. Nostalgia Critic is 99% silly jokes and draws heavily from the show's memes. Not that the Critic should try to go the same route as Lindsay, but he does need to find a way to get in a little more substance. Less frequent reviews is a start.

That's why I love Red Letter Media actually, in that the guy really knows what he's talking about. Doug to me always had a fairly simplistic analysis of the movies he was watching. It's hard to really get down to the details on crap movies, but I thought when a sometimes liked movie came up, he really didn't have much to say.

I've been going onto his site every now and then to see some of his new things and that Demo Reel show, but I could never find anything about anything on that site. I had no idea what he was doing until I saw you guys talk about Sibling Rivalry. Although I did see his Disneycember videos, I love these type of reviews from him.

I'm looking forward to new NCs, I just hope there are less cameos.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah demo reel was terrible.

Also technically he didn't "retire" Critic. He just said he wouldn't do weekly episodes. Honestly I'm fine with simply doing occasional vids.

With that said there's more he can do for NC. His Top 11 vids are well done. His episodes retrospect are really good too.

Yup.

Although you can say Chick can do analysis pretty well because she has a degree.

strobogo

Banned
I always felt that Doug would ask intentionally stupid questions for things that are clearly explained in the movie and make sense because it gave him something to complain about. RLM does that sometimes, too, but not nearly as often and Mike and Jay both seem like guys who actually understand the inner workings of movies as opposed to Doug seeming like a guy who just likes movies.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I always felt that Doug would ask intentionally stupid questions for things that are clearly explained in the movie and make sense because it gave him something to complain about. RLM does that sometimes, too, but not nearly as often and Mike and Jay both seem like guys who actually understand the inner workings of movies as opposed to Doug seeming like a guy who just likes movies.

Yeah that's another thing he nitpicks the crap out of movies. Again when he gets down to actually analyzing or giving his consensus on the movie, he ends up giving a very simplistic, surface level thought about the movie.

maharg

idspispopd
I... didn't even know Demo Reel was a thing. I knew he retired the critic and was starting up a big studio (saw the tour), but never actually heard about him starting up new shows. Whoops.

Yeah he did a really bad job of promoting the new show. Hell, it was showing up in my blip feed for a long time and I assumed from the title that it was just him playing around while he figured out his new thing. Shoulda segwayed into it more directly.

That said, it wasn't that great anyways. I think the concept is actually not bad, but was probably too ambitious for where he's at in writing original content. The humor style of the anniversaries doesn't really carry over well to a regular thing.

I think it's the nostalgia aspect that bogged him down and he just needs to broaden his horizons.

Xzeon

Banned
Yeah he did a really bad job of promoting the new show. Hell, it was showing up in my blip feed for a long time and I assumed from the title that it was just him playing around while he figured out his new thing. Shoulda segwayed into it more directly.

That said, it wasn't that great anyways. I think the concept is actually not bad, but was probably too ambitious for where he's at in writing original content. The humor style of the anniversaries doesn't really carry over well to a regular thing.

I think it's the nostalgia aspect that bogged him down and he just needs to broaden his horizons.

it feels like he needed more time to really hammer out the details for Demo Reel, he could have just put NC on the back burner for a while, but it seems like he just kinda felt like it was too much and ended it all so hastily.

it was like, really amateurish, it felt like no planning was put into this at all. the site stayed exactly the same and there was NO hype or promotion for Demo Reel. then Demo Reel just kinda, fell apart, it was like all he had was a vague concept and that was it.

i feel like this whole situation could have been handled better, but Dougs brains were fried and he just lost sight of what he really wanted to do in life, or something like that. im glad hes gotten back on track and got his head on straight now.

maharg

idspispopd
i feel like this whole situation could have been handled better, but Dougs brains were fried and he just lost sight of what he really wanted to do in life, or something like that. im glad hes gotten back on track and got his head on straight now.

There's a part of me that wonders if this wasn't entirely deliberate from the word go, to be honest. But maybe I just consume so much meta that everything is meta to me now. It feels like he took the experience of that stupid Simpsons LP (which, to be honest, I felt at the time was deliberate too) and built a whole arc around it.

AniHawk

i am a bit surprised at how 'you know- for kids!' caught on. at least, it seems to be popular with reference to sym-bionic titan here.

GavinGT

Banned
I thought he stopped bc he was running out of movies people were nostalgic about

Yes, that was part of it. So he's increasing the scope of what's eligible to be reviewed. He mentioned the original Odd Couple in the video, so that may be an indication of how far he's willing to stray from his usual coverage of nostalgic 80s/90s material.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So I'm finally getting around to watching "The Review Must Go On". I held off for so long because I thought it was going to be another short video of Doug in front of the camera talking about how he had run out of ideas for his other project and was just going to come crawling back to the Critic role. But it's actually a very well done short film.

I'll be honest, I only watched the first Demo Reel and as much as I liked it, I felt it was a bit long and boring and seemed like it would take way too much effort just to make and even to watch. Hit or miss. I enjoyed the Sibling Rivalry videos much more. And I started to miss the Critic. So it's nice that he's back. Albeit on his own terms.

maharg

idspispopd
Yes, that was part of it. So he's increasing the scope of what's eligible to be reviewed. He mentioned the original Odd Couple in the video, so that may be an indication of how far he's willing to stray from his usual coverage of nostalgic 80s/90s material.

Well, the first one he's doing coming back actually came out last year, so I think that might be a better indication. ;)

Top Bottom