• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Office | In defense of Season 8 and 9...But also not.

Lenz44

Banned
Andy was fine as a side character who appeared every once and a while. Then they decided to ride the wave of Ed Helm's popularity. Then the whole Jim and Pam drama that was so forced and pointless to try and get people to pay attention. I remember watching that season all the way through only because of all the years watching it week after week. But it was real hard to really care/ be excited for new episodes and tune in for season 9.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I hate that they change Andy from a fairly likable guy with self-esteem issues and a temper into just a complete and utter asshole.

So many characters ruined in those last few seasons but his was the worst.

I don't think he became an asshole at all. He was still a good guy, just a little lost. His only assholish act in the final 2 seasons was in season 9 after Erin broke up with him, he hired Plop's ex-gf and Erin's ex-bf (Gabe) to watch the 4 of them feud in the office. That was actually hilarious...and they sort of deserved it with the "move on" nonsense they were giving him.

My wife and I hate that scene with a passion lol.

They also used a green screen on an Erin talking head scene in Florida, which also looked terrible.

the landfill scene 😖

Ooof, yeah. Those green screen scenes were absolutely terrible. LMAO.

erin and her foster brother having a sexual relationship 🤔

Yeah, wtf was that about? Fucking awkward.

For me, The Office stopped being good when Dwight deliberately set the office on fire and trapped everybody inside and he was not immediately arrested or fired from the job.

That's when I was like, OK, this show doesn't take place in any kind of reality resembling my own anymore.

Or firing a gun. The writers really pushed the limits of reality frequently, to be honest. You kind of have to suspend yourself when it comes to Dwight, overall, as a character. He's actually a pretty contradictory character.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
Weird, just binged this with wifey and everything OP said is spot on. Stuck with it so long she was crying at the finale haa

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I loved the earlier seasons of the show, and can enjoy the mid seasons enough. But, I despise the last few seasons and have never managed to get through them. Even before Michael leaves, the show was turning into total garbage.

Shit.

Complete shit.

Mother of God, just kill me this character is so un-fucking-funny.
This is basically my assessment. They interfered way too much with the tone and humour of the show.

TwiztidElf

-Why wasn't Michael in the final scene with them in the office? I really think he should have been. I understand Carell did not want to steal any one's thunder, but he was extremely important to the show. He basically was the show at one point. And he also only said like 5 words the entire time. His return felt so cold and hollow.
Holly wasn't in any of the ending/wrap up of the series either which seems odd also. (Unless I missed her absence being explained?)

error4041

I'm kinda curious how Dwight's arc would have ended if his spin-off show was picked up. The episode that was supposed to be the pilot was one of the more enjoyable episodes of S9 imo

Rival

Gold Member
I have no fond memories of season 8 and 9 but just started a rewatch tonight on Netflix. On episode 2, Diversity Day. I kind of forgot how cringe worthy some of the early Michael Scott stuff was. I don't know if that would make it on NBC today.

The only good thing the later seasons did was finally affirm that Dwight, Pam, and Jim were friends. They'd had enough close moments that it was turning dumb how many times they would do a 180 and turn their relationship cartoony and hostile.

I suppose I also like Jim and Pam's conflict with Jim's new job, because nothing pissed me off more than the forced drama of them with their fake fights. The worst was when Pam's dad decides to leave her mom after Jim spoke with him and Pam is pissed at him. She wants to know what Jim told her dad. And Jim says he doesn't know. "Oh my god, Pam and Jim are having their first big fight!" one thinks. And then the big reveal at the end:

B9niEqEIQAIB9bY.jpg

I wanted to throw up in my mouth. What manipulative, forced horse shit garbage.

So to get back to my ramble, I liked Jim and Pam in the end because their fights over his job felt legitimate. They felt real to me, like "yeah...I can totally see this causing friction." Didn't feel overly forced.

And agree with OP. Plop and Erin were awful, but mostly because of how the show absolutely murdered Andy's character in order to make those two happen. Andy goes through so many personality changes in the show...the one he goes through that leads to Erin leaving is the worst. I mean, they make him such a dense asshole that they are practically begging Plop and Erin to start banging in front of us.

Jopie

After 30 Rock, this is my favorite show of all time.

Having said that, the last seasons are just painful. I cannot watch the boom mic guy episodes. They are the worst.

TheBear

I have a weird relationship with this show.

Fucking loved the UK version. Tried the US when it came out and was instantly turned off when it felt like a retread. Came back to it when I heard it got better, and really enjoyed the Michael Scott stuff but toughed it out to the end. Now I can't remember anything about it but still love the UK one.

Bookoo

I am watching that season now for the first time and I was extremely confused why Andy seemingly just turned into a huge dick later in the show.

I am watching that season now for the first time and I was extremely confused why Andy seemingly just turned into a huge dick later in the show.
Yeah. He was an asshole because the writers needed him to be. Just like when they needed to make their movie star Ed Helms take the place of Steve Carrel, so they reworked Andy's personality to be a loveable, goofball underdog. He was kind of this while engaged to Angela, but it went away when that relationship did. I swear, his character jumped all over the place. And not in a good way.

Setzer

Robert California was funny, but mostly as a vehicle for the actor to do his thing and not because he fit particularly well into the show.

The decline of The Office took place waaaaaay before the last two seasons (I'm one of those assholes who thinks that, despite having many good episodes afterwards, Michael driving his car into a lake because the GPS said so is the end of Good Office) but these two were truly dire. The triangle iPad bullshit, Jim and Pam rehashing the art school plot with Jim going to work at Deadspin or whatever, the atrocious last-minute characterization of the cameraman, Erin basically being a proto-Kimmy Schmidt without the "lived in a compound" backstory... christ it was bad television.

This. Things started getting bad long before Steve Carell left. Seasons 1-4 were some of the best comedy on TV and it was pretty much hit or miss from that point on.

I think I need a rewatch. Friends is my absolute favorite comedy, but nothing on TV has ever come close to this. This moment rocks my world every time. Both actors really nail the moment.

c54860c37c8b62ae64b40744833795b8.jpg

My memory is hazy, and I never rewatch anything past... season 5, I think, so I may be wrong, but it always felt like the last few seasons they were just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what stuck. Like, wasn't Maura Tierny in one episode as Robert California's wife, who had a crush on Andy, and then just disappeared? And, all the stuff with the new characters felt awful and lame rehashes of earlier seasons. I find Ed Helms to be unfunny in, well, everything I've seen him in, so making him the center really blew up the show for me.

But, the final straw that broke the back was an intro where it made it seem like Pam was having an affair or cheated on Jim with some sound guy and Meredith commenting on it. I don't know what episode number that was, but I think that was in the last season, and I hated it so much that they even suggested it that I remember getting up from my couch, turning off the TV, and not watching any other episode after that. Also, the whole storyline with the one girl trying to have an affair with Jim.

It is amazing how bad these final seasons were. Are there some good moments? Sure, but as a whole, it's a train wreck.

Season 8 is really solid, and I think Andy taking over for Michael was the perfect choice. Robert California is great and you are wrong.

Season 9 is fucking garbo:
-making the documentary crew characters
-weird emphasis on the documentary crew being an actual part of the show
-absurdly forced and unrealistic drama between Jim and Pam
-Andy was too busy doing another Hangover movie or whatever so they turned his character into a complete dickwad, thus squandering all of the romantic build up between him and Erin

Dwight's wedding and rise to Regional Manager were solid highlights

Misha

Banned
I wonder if any writers from the late seasons ended up on Silicon Valley cause Robert California would fit right in there and Gabe pretty much just migrated there

ZeoVGM

Banned
Robert California was great but seasons 8 and 9 were overall pretty poor. 9 was better as it had some nice emotional moments but I thought they absolutely ruined Andy's character.

They turned him into a legitimate jerk and it wasn't fun to watch.

Grug

I feel like I went through a long and ultimately bitter romance with Pam.

I was madly in love with her and then by the end of it I couldn't stand to see her face.

Rell

At this point I'm convinced I'm the only one who feels this way but I actually enjoyed watching the show slowly morph into a distorted, twisted, fever dream parody of itself.

I realize that Season 8 isn't objectively the best season of the show, but it is my favorite by a pretty wide margin.

Robert California is such a bizarre character right out of the gate, and it feels so disruptive to the general beats of the show...and then you kind of realize that the rest of the characters have been weird for years at this point.

It's sort of like that moment when you first realize that you're drunk.

night814

I feel like I went through a long and ultimately bitter romance with Pam.

I was madly in love with her and then by the end of it I couldn't stand to see her face.
Ooo those feels are real. I completely agree. She goes from a fairly sad plain Jane from Scranton to a weird homogonized suburban mom character who has a bad attitude. Michael and Dwight are the only characters that really remained the most pure through the series, Dwight not as much but his motivation remained the same. Jim goes from a down to earth smart sarcastic dude to a whiny bitch by the end whose only lasting gimmick is to look at the camera when the funnies happen. They lost what made them endearing in favor of lowest common denominator type characters.

Goldboy

I've tried so hard to love the show post-Michael, but I just can't. I also echo everyone's sentiments that the writers destroyed Andy's character. Shame, too, since he was one of the more entertaining and hilarious characters around the time he was introduced.

Davey Cakes

Making Andy the regional manager instead of Robert was probably the biggest mistake. Putting too much emphasis on Andy in general just made him insufferable.

gaugebozo

Things I hate about the later seasons:
- Andy turns into a dick
- New Jim and Dwight aren't funny
- Is this a workplace?

You can summarize The Office's rise and fall in quality to the character arc of Kevin.

His painful character change from quiet observant to a cartoony fat guy that over exaggerates when he talks, is really really stupid, and makes facial expressions that nobody would make

This you never would've known that he originally was a great poker player who could read people by the time you got to season 9.

Sephzilla

The show should have ended with Goodbye, Michael. There's some good stuff after he leaves, but you could tell the show was on a downward slide

I subscribe to the "Andy Bernard Ruined the Entirety of Those Seasons" theory.

whether its his boring plot, complete unlikeabilty, or screen time that could of gone to more interesting characters

tumblr_nc1glcp3nK1tcutqno1_400.gif

Are you kidding me? Robert California was the best thing of the post-Michael Scott episodes

Robert California is the sole reason why the remaining seasons were worth it.
Andy is the reason they're almost not worth it.

That about sums up my feelings on the post-Michael era.

The whole Jim and Pam Conflict, and the camera man just kinda made me cringe. Hated it. It was a tonal shift in the show and relationship I wasn't looking for

UberLevi

Robert California is one of my favorite Office characters, loved him in every episode. I really like Season 8 and 9, personally. Thought the show was good throughout. I'll agree that boss Andy was a little shit, especially his subplot with Erin and how that resolved. And the new interns in Season 9 didn't do much for me.

soultron

Banned
Hey does anyone want to buy HP products or a Nespresso machine?

The rampant product placement was the fucking pits.

BriGuy

I always thought the show was overrated. It's kind of telling how it was in syndication for like a year and then dropped off the face of the earth (or at least network television).

Gurrry

I actually like the final couple of seasons with Andy as boss. Even though they treated him like garbage as a character, I still enjoy those seasons.

They are the weakest of the 9 in total, but they still have good moments.

And if you havent seen the table read of the final episode, its on youtube, check it out. Its a tear jerker for sure. Pam and Jim nearly break down during the read as it nears the end.

Ogodei

Surprised no-one mentions Zach Woods as a good part of the later seasons. Basically proto-Jared on Silicon Valley.

The mic guy is one of the worst sitcom storylines ever.

The only thing the Andy character has going for him after they tried to cash in on the Hangover is that at least he's not as terrible as the mic guy storyline.

KillGore

For me the weirdest part was how drastically they changed the character of Andy. It seemed like in two episodes he was a different character altogether. Ended up being an asshole. Terrible writing.

Top Bottom