• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official AMIGA "Rosetinted" Thread

syllogism

Nash said:
amiga-juggler.gif

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1845122557984484164&q=amiga

Mar

StormwatchGRE said:
...and the best videogame of all time.....TURRICAN 2

C64 version superior confirmed.

Also, I'm jealous of you guys. I wanted an Amiga so bad back when I was a kid. But I could never afford it. To this day it remains as the gaming machine I most wished I had.

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
Favorite Amiga memory? Playing Populus 2, Carrier Command, and Stunt Track Racer against a buddy thru the null modem cable. Gaming bliss.

Algazoth

Oh my... <3 this thread...

Maybe I should unpack my Amiga and enjoy an orgie of retrogaming tomorrow...?

Xzior, wanna join me ;)
You can bring the ones you listed and I'll get my other favs out.
Pardroid 90, the killing cloud, hunter (yeah, I know you listed it but it deserves the be mentioned again), gobliins, etc.

Gowans007 said:
Did this ever get stuck in your head?
YES. But I didn't have the CD32 version. Fun fact: It's been my cellphone signal for the last two years.

Yeah, F-19 Stealth Fighter was great.

some of my favourite 16 bit games:
Dungeon Master (perfection)
Dogs of War
Captive (Not as good as Dungeon Master, but beat the crap out of Eye of Beholder series)
Elite (lot smoother than the 8 bit version, and more missions)
Supercars 2 (better than Micro Machines)
Virus (fantastic graphics)
Sim City
Pirates
Populous (the firs one is still the best)
Starglider 2 (I liked just flying around the solar system)
Xenon 2: Megablast
Mega-Lo-Mania

And the Leisure Suit Larry series.

Xzior

Algazoth said:
Oh my... <3 this thread...

Maybe I should unpack my Amiga and enjoy an orgie of retrogaming tomorrow...?

Xzior, wanna join me ;)
You can bring the ones you listed and I'll get my other favs out.
Pardroid 90, the killing cloud, hunter (yeah, I know you listed it but it deserves the be mentioned again), gobliins, etc.

YES. But I didn't have the CD32 version. Fun fact: It's been my cellphone signal for the last two years.
Answer to that is, of course.. just let me know what time, cause I can figure out where.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Null linking Armourgeddon 1 was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had.

Full 3D RTS where you could take control of any of the bombers, fighters, tanks, artillery pieces? All while playing against another person? A game 15 years ahead of it's time.

DaveJ

Scary when you think it had an 8Mhz processor and 512K of RAM, now we are at 3Ghz and 2GB.

I had one of the original A1000's imported from the US, the one with all the dev team signatures on the inside of the case, class.

Populous & Stunt Car Racer 2 player via RS232, my 2 favourites :) and of course Devpac from Hisoft!

Eric_S said:
Plenty of absolutaly fantastic games for both the A500 and the A1200. Man how I loved (still do) the pinball games Digital illusions put out on the Amiga, Turiccan, the music in Shadow of The Beast, the greatness that is Cannon Fodder, Lemmings.

Why did C= have to be run by monkeys, why? :(

The fact that most people never paid a cent for Amiga games didn't help. I'd love to see some of the classics (C64 as well) on VC.

People, people... this is the ultimate game on any system. If this was to come out for XBLA or PS3, I'd pick one of those systems up just to be able to play it against people online...

And let's not forget:

The Amiga my parents bought still works and I have it. That's my first game system. Ultima 3-6 (mainly 4 and 5) and Bard's Tale (mainly 2 but somewhat 3) are what got me into rpg's to begin with and I still enjoy playing Ultima 3-5 and Bard's Tale 2 to this day. So much fun.

What all Sierra games came out for the Amiga? I played King's Quest 1-3, Space Quest 1, and Gold Rush (really wish I could play that again) but that was it.

Lemmings is the only puzzle game I've actually beaten, and I found the passwords for all of the levels as I played through them when I was 9 or 10. So much fun. I've made some mp3's from the Amiga version of Lemmings if those are postable.

Obliterator gave some good memories too as well as a bunch of other games. I need to play Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego on something, I HAD Carmen early in the game but figured it was the other brunette!

So many fun memories and my gaming foundations were from the Amiga 500.

bunker said:
The Cinemaware games will always have a fond place in my heart.

box_rocket.jpg

screenshot_rocket_5.gif

I could never beat that. I think the 4th or 5th rocket part guy I had to fistfight was too fast for me.

:lol the door says Verboten.

Gowans

Lemming_JRS said:
People, people... this is the ultimate game on any system. If this was to come out for XBLA or PS3, I'd pick one of those systems up just to be able to play it against people online...

OH MY GOD!!! I think I have just made a little wet in my pants!

Gowans

Aww after all the nostaliga in this thread and the memorys I've been reminded off, I miss thoughs days and I miss my Amiga!

PS SpeedBall ROCKED HARD!!!

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Xzior said:
Some of the games I have fond memories of playing.

hiredguns01qn4.gif
hiredguns04mm6.gif

Hired Guns is in my top 10 games of all time. It was absolutely brilliant 4-player. PSO reminded me of Hired Guns a lot actually when I first played it online on DC.

There was a sequel apparently which never got released, and a level creator as well I think.

Being able to create your own characters in Deluxe Paint was inspired. Bomberman running around twatting people with high-powered weaponry and laying sentry guns is one of my favourite gaming memories :)

Oh, the memories. My Amiga 1000 (with upgraded RAM, of course!) still works I believe, even though it's almost twenty years old. Does anyone share my great love for Nitro (MAJ!) and Buck Rogers?

The Cinemaware games were so good for their time... and some of the first interesting free roaming stuff ever with It Came From the Desert.

The King of Chicago completely blew me away and I don't think I've seen a game since that adapts its story to the player in that way. You could virtualy never play the same story twice.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Kaching said:
And that's coming from an Atari ST fanboy.

:O :O :O :O :O ... i never knew ... you were one of ... us (lol- and Jonnyram too - ha ha)
We should start an Atari ST appreciation thread.

pfff... Amiga and it's "you need 1 meg of ram to run Dungeon Master" - how we laughed! ;)

Anyways, surprise surprise... i had an amiga as well :)

Hunter, Speedball 1/2, and a few other faves have already been posted , so here's some other ones.

Warhead
Archipelegos
archipelagos-b.png

Millenium 2.2
millenium22-c.png

Midwinter
midwinter1-c.png

Carrier Command
carriercommand-a.gif

Barbarian
barbarian1palace-a.png

Battle Chess
battlechess1-a.png

Of ST vs Amiga wars - the thing that made it awesome was that it was constructive. Actually - as was the C64 vs Amiga thing! the first level of Goldrunner was replicated on C64 by a hacking crew - it was pretty :O :O :O.

nubbe

So many awesome games on the Amiga
Too many to mention, would probably forget half of them. None mention, none forgotten :p

Had a 500+ with 2MB RAM... That was the shit

I loved to use the synthetic voice program in Workbench. Also did some of my first programming on it with AMOS. Good times.

PsychoCandy said:
The Cinemaware games were so good for their time... and some of the first interesting free roaming stuff ever with It Came From the Desert.

The King of Chicago completely blew me away and I don't think I've seen a game since that adapts its story to the player in that way. You could virtualy never play the same story twice.

The 'hurry and shoot the badguy' thing and drive-by bombings were cool.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
DCharlie said:
Midwinter
midwinter1-c.png

Carrier Command
carriercommand-a.gif

Of ST vs Amiga wars - the thing that made it awesome was that it was constructive. Actually - as was the C64 vs Amiga thing! the first level of Goldrunner was replicated on C64 by a hacking crew - it was pretty :O :O :O.

Were there really those "box" artifacts on some surfaces of polys? I don't remember those...

I've got great memories of the Amiga. Growing up, my parents wouldn't let me have a Nintendo, so I always had to make due with my dad's C64 and then his Amiga. I remember being mortally afraid of that red error screen. :lol

That being said, Shadow of the Beast has to be one of the most overrated games ever.

miguel_c_hammer said:
That being said, Shadow of the Beast has to be one of the most overrated games ever.

It was pretty, but seemed rather subpar of a platformer. I really sucked at it, though and barely got very far in it, though.

DCharlie

Also does anyone remember Wizkid?

ME !

a very strange platform/puzzle thing with the son of Wizball - basically - wizball with a body :) lots of weirdness from start to finish !

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Ah the Amiga... so many amazing games

SWOS did I mention SWOS?
Dino Dini's GOAL
Kick Off 2
IK+
Monkey Island 1 & 2
Indiana Jones & The Fate of Atlantis
Beneath a Steel Sky
Shadow of the Beast 1 & 2
Cannon Fodder
Worms
Frontier Elite 2
Wings
Lotus Turbo Challenge 2
Another World
Turrican II
Railroad Tycoon
Pirates!
Eye of the Beholder 2
Flashback
Championship Manager
Gunship 2000
Knights of the Sky
F/A·18 Interceptor
Wizkid
Theme Park
Lemmings
Alien Breed 3D 2
Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker
Superfrog
Battle Chess
SWIV
Indy 500
Formula One Grand Prix (Geoff Crammond)
Stuntcar Racer
Speedball 2
Dune 2
James Pond, Robocod
Populous 1 & II
It came from the Desert
Project X
Hired Guns
Super Skid Marks
Supercars 2
Civilization
Gods
Chaos Engine
Syndicate & American Revolt
UFO Enemy Unknown
Pinball Dreams, Fantasies & Illusions

I'd do pictures but it would take me forever.

Tarazet

Oh my God, Pinball Dreams was ****ing incredible. So much of my childhood lost to that game.. and Lemmings. And Shufflepuck Cafe. And Afterburner. And PLUTOS!

TimeBandit.JPG

Time Bandit
oids.gif

Oids
figure7-9.jpg

Dungeon Master
Datastormcap.jpg

Datastorm

Yes, SotB was very overrated. Decent game, but not great. Awesome graphics, though.

Anybody have an animated GIF of the old Amiga Bouncing Ball demo?

kaching said:
There's absolutely nothing rosetinted about Amiga nostalgia. Sheer unadulterated awesome. And that's coming from an Atari ST fanboy.

I was a turncoat. I started out with an ST, ended up convertign to the Amiga way once the 500 came along and the software started to really outstrip the ST.

This awesome thread makes me wish I still had an Amiga 500. Plenty of sweet games.

Is there any chance we will see Moonstone ported to another console? Who made that game? Imagine that on XBL... I think I just made a mess in my pants.

Jonnyram

Kuran said:
Don't forget my avatar, possibly one of the most underrated games, ever.. outside of Europe, mayhaps.
I beat that on the BBC Micro. It was great if you had the memory expansion pack. The resolution went from something like 160x100 to 200x200.

I went from BBC to ST to PC, but always wanted an Amiga in between :(

Zabojnik

What to say? My favourite gaming system ever. I actually didn't own it, I still had a C64 at the time, but when my best friend got it ... For the next three of four years I practically lived at his house. We're talking 5-6 hours a day, everyday after school. The colors, the graphics, gaming on an incredibly clear CRT monitor ... And then the games. God, there where SO MANY, so utterly FANTASTIC. I don't recall all the names, because at the time we didn't really care about that (also, I was like 10 - 13 years old and my english wasn't all that), but who could ever forget Kick Off 2? Or the absolutely incredible Speedball 2? We used to listen to a Beach Boys album when we were playing that and each of us had his favourite 'power song', so to say. So when you were losing a match you could 'request' the song and it would give you the power to turn the score around. Hehe, silly, I know, but we still get drunk today remembering that particular oddity from our youth. Moonstone (masterpiece total), Pinball Dreams, Flashback, SWIV, James Pond, Gunship 2000 ... So, so many. Actually, now that I think of it, it could very well be it was while playing Chrono Quest that I got my first arousal. There was this scene in the game (don't remember which CQ it was exactly) where you had to get a pendant (or a necklace) from a lady at a court (or something) and she went almost or entirely topless for you. Whichever it was, it was enough for me. :D (If anyone happens to have a screen of that or remembers from which Chrono Quest it was, please feel free to share.)

Seriously, someone needs to bring back 2D.

Surfheart

Wow! this brings back some fond memories.

I never owned a console until the original Playstation, I started gaming on a PC XT with an amber cga screen (that's four shades of orange kids)

Then a friend bought an Amiga and I was just absolutely floored by the graphics. I don't think anything since has topped that OMFG I can't believe what I'm seeing feeling.

Bought the original A1000 model as soon as I could scrape together the cash.

Loved Marble madness, all the Cinemaware stuff, Populous I and II, Powermonger, Super Hangon, Shadow of the Beast, Crazy cars, Turrican, on the Psygnosis stuff like Blood money.

That system had so many genre busting quirky games it's not funny.

Great great system that I regret selling way back then to buy a PC with a VGA card.

Ignatz Mouse said:

Was OIDS ever released on Amiga? It was made by FTL, who also did Dungeon Master, and it took them long time to port that to Amiga, and even then it needed 1 megabyte of memory, when the ST version ran on half of that. Which was nice.

Anyway, OIDS rocked, I think it was one of the first games with a physics engine as part of the gameplay.

sriyantra

The Amiga was a dream come true for me when I picked one up in 1987. Blocky, minimal color 8bit graphics were out, and glorious detailed multi-color worlds were ushered in. It was a momentus shift visually and for the first time the games often resembled cutting-edge coin-ops (at least in screenshots...)

It was also a time when 3D gaming was being explored and so all those Realtime titles (Midwinter, Carrier Command, etc) as well as stuff like Hunter were pushing boundaries when it came to opening up new genres. It's quite incredible how limited and prosaic PC and consoles games are now by comparison. Because there weren't the same financial barriers to developers, the Amiga really was wide open. In fact, I think - in the Uk and Europe at least - it was the greatest and most creative time ever for home gaming.

This was mostly due to the sheer variety of genres and ideas being explored on the Amiga - everything from the most amazing hacker demos to the cutting edge German or Danish shoot 'em ups to innovative adventure, simulation and of course the best of British game design (which aside from coin-ops) was probably the best in the world at that time ... it was all there. And for many Amiga gaming was, um, free if you had the right connections. Piracy was rampant and hacker ans demo scenes were thriving as a result.

The Amiga's music represented another big step fwd (although the C64's most devoted fans fiends might disagree).
I remember hearing Tim Follin's stuff for US Gold's Abysmal ST ports of Capcom games (Bionic Commando, LED Storm and best of Ghouls' n' Ghosts) and just not believing it was game music. I recorded everything and was in heaven - incredible music that still remains untouched to this day in its compositional brilliance. And of, course, Chris Huelsbeck's Turrican stuff (and R-Type title heme) were exceptional, too.

Real imagination and creativity of this sort really put the emerging Japanese consoles to shame in my opinion. I remembering 'upgrading' to a PC Engine which I loved for R-Type and other amazing shoot 'em ups, but after a while I had to go and by an Amiga again because somehow the selection of games just seemed a little soulless by comparison. And that was an pretty amazing console, too.

Yes, that's it. The Amiga had bags of soul. And it was everything from the creators of the chipset to the programmers that burned the midnight oil to figure out ways to get just that litltle bit more power out of it.

And it didn't even matter that not all games got upgraded when being ported over form the ST (although I do rememeber fuming about many dismal coin-op conversions, the Capcom ones being a case in point - we had to suffer). Two of my favorite Amiga games were essentially ST games anyway ST - Stunt car Racer and The Sentinel.

One of my favorite memories was playing this fairly obscure top-down RPG called 'The Faery Tale Adventure' by a US company called Micro Illusions (I think). This one-disk epic (never figured out how they squeezed it all on one) had clearly been a labor of love for its creator David Joiner, and it just had so much beauty and charm, as well as nice music. With the aid of a walkthrough from my favorite Amiga mag of the time, CU Amiga, I spent a week with my brother after school (for him, Uni for me) searching this MASSIVE charming fantasy world in search of a big dragon and a distressed damsel (probably). It was later was ported to the Mega Drive but didn't carry over well at all. TFA was a work of art that most Amiga gamers passed by. Only the 8bit text adventure Twin Kingdom Valley hooked me more...

Long live the Amiga. You are sorely missed....

painey

Kuran said:
Don't forget my avatar, possibly one of the most underrated games, ever.. outside of Europe, mayhaps.

what is that game?! I remember it but cant put my finger on it!

Also how did I forget 2 of my most favourite games of all time, Monkey Island 1 and The Settlers 1. Amigas ruled.

DCharlie

The Sentinel.

Ah, The Sentinel... a game that got no score and TWO gold medals in Zzap!64... (C64 version obviously)

one of the most amazing gaming experiences i've ever had. Looking back, it's amazing that as a young kid i could figure out what to do.

Awesome stuff.

C64 was the golden era by the way :)

Top Bottom