• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official AMIGA "Rosetinted" Thread

Khaz

You should try booting in NTSC mode under the emulator. That will have the refresh rate that matches up with your monitor. Lots of games, and obviously OS itself work great in NTSC mode, and you will get perfectly smooth scroll.

Actually I did the opposite. 720x576 is a 50Hz (and 50Hz only) resolution, and I probably had a mismatch in my config that made it play weird. Putting everything as PAL solved the screen tearings, and using the legacy Vsync and double-buffering got rid of all stuttering. I think using Wasapi EX instead of DirectSound may help too. This old PC doesn't seem to have the guts to emulate accurately fast enough it seems.

I had no luck using 100Hz to try to reduce the flickering but I'm not too bothered by it. it's only barely noticeable on the desktop, when you look for it.

And playing with a proper video card / OS, I realised I could go up to 240Hz at 640x480, and up to 100Hz at 1600x1200! Windows 10 / Intel drivers only allows up to 85Hz at 1600x1200, and 60Hz for everything else.

Galdelico

Anyone remember Nebulous? I loved playing it but was never very good at it.

nebulus2.png

I do! Loved that game.
I remember coming at it quite late, after reading about its - still impressive - rotation effect, in the review of Dynamite Headdy for the Mega Drive.

keraj37

HOW TO HACK FS-UAE EMULATED GAME WITH CHEAT ENGINE

I had trouble with hacking the money in Sensible World Of Soccer.
I used Cheat Engine, but I couldn't find memory address where number of money was stored.
After a while it came to me that Amiga was big endian! And I was looking with hex values in little endian order. But that was not the only trick.

So we have FS-UAE process running with SWOS and $10.245.878 in account.
sensibleworldofsoccer_real_1702232002_01.png

We attach FS-UAE process to Cheat Engine. Then we enter the decimal value, so Cheat Engine can change it to hex:
Screenshot_16.png

Screenshot_17.png

And here is the trick.
We need to change first two bytes order (we want first two bytes and not last two as they represent higher values and we want a lot of money :) ).
We change it from 0x009C to 0x9C00.

And here is the second trick: for some unknown reason to me we cannot look for full 4 bytes long double word, even if you change order to big endian. Why? I don't know - maybe it is how this emulator structure the data.

So we need to look for single 2 bytes word.

Than go back to game, spend some money, and you will see which of the found addresses changed (will appear red).
Screenshot_22.png

We found it, so lets change the value to 0xFF0F
Screenshot_23.png

Go back to game - and here it is! Some additional bucks are already in your account.
sensibleworldofsoccer_real_1702232014_01.png

AmyS

Sorry for the DP but I have to post VG&CE's Shadow of the Beast II review (mainly for these beautiful screenshots),

J3uyF57.jpg

Edit: And their review of the first game.

VSQeLlJ.jpg

tvyz38a.jpg

This is playable in the modern Shadow of the Beast on PS4 :)

Edit: I managed to scan the review of the Genesis version.

zgAHrfF.jpg

Also, I could have sworn that VG&CE reviewed Amiga Shadow of the Beast III, but I can't find it after searching the retromags database for 20 min.

PeaceUK

This thread brings back some fantastic
memories, my Amiga 500 was the first home gaming device i owned, inherited from my cousin, and i couldnt have asked for a better selection of games with it.

I need some help identifying a game i used to play though, it was a 2d side scrolling flight game where you could choose various aircraft. You had to take off, complete tasks and then land again (which usually ended in death). I distinctly remember you could eject on the runway becoming a red pile of goo as well. Any ideas?

Edit: Found it! It was Jet Strike, god this game was hilarious.

Recently dug my old A500 out of the shed and fired it up. The A590 hdd (40mb!) takes a big of wiggling to get it to spin up and load but I did manage to boot into workbench. Also played a little Chase HQ but I'm a bit concerned the floppy drive needs some loving. Took the case apart and gave it all a good blast of compressed air.

Decided to resurrect it so I've ordered a SCSI microSD reader that should drop in where the HDD currently is, a USB mouse adaptor and thinking of replacing the floppy with a Gotek and picking up a genuine external floppy for ripping my old stuff. I'd really like to grab a 1084s monitor as they were very clear and good for older consoles too (provided they have AV out) but all the ones for sale in my country seem to be either 600 miles away and local pickup only, or damaged in some way.

Also found schematics for building a midi interface so kinda keen to do that and integrate it with the rest of my midi gear for some 28khz sampling joy.

AmyS

Now it's driving me nuts. What was that Shadow of the Beast III review I'm thinking of....

I don't think it was EGM. I still think it was VG&CE, but maybe it was Electronic Games or Game Players.

Maybe it was VideoGames, the magazine VG&CE morphed into.

Help me out guys, if you remember.

I have just sen this in the eu box arts thread:

An Amiga & c64 collection? :O Any info?

Googled a bit and it seems these are remakes made by a German company called Magnussoft, which apparently have the rights to the name Epyx (and I guess titles they published?) for Europe, that's probably why the box says "Epyx Deutschland", while System 3 seems to hold the rights for certain games on certain platforms, not quite sure on that.

Sadly, these look like pretty shoddy remakes, some of which can be found packed in with the Competition Pro USB Sports Tournament Edition. Here's a YouTube clip showing off the games.

Fredrik

Ah this thread always makes me happy :)

I don't remember how much I have posted earlier but here is my cure for my Amiga nostalgia cravings

Amiga 1200

DVI out
Through a snap on indivision AGA MK2 card

Compact Flash drive

Blizzard 1230-IV 50 Mhz turbo card

In action

I can't say that it has been smooth sailing all along though. I've had tons and tons of issue getting this to be stable. I had a ACA1232 turbo card at first which seemed to work great, but I started getting occasional crashes which annoyed me. There was said that certain revisions of Amiga 1200 mother boards were incompatible with newer turbo cards. I tried to use a guide and swapped some components on the motherboard which was supposed to fix that but I still never got it to work properly. The original power supply could be too weak too which could cause crashes so I bought a PC power supply with amiga connetor. Still crashes, not all the time but frequent enough to annoy me considering how stable the original Amiga was. Eventually I hunt down an old Blizzard turbo card on ebay instead and since then it was worked flawlessly. I'm honestly thinking of buying another identical one just to have a spare one if/when this one breaks. :p

Whoo! Forget the SNES Classic, the Armiga Project is running again. Orders can be made on armigaproject.com. Since I never got around to getting a solution to ripping files off Amiga disks, this is a double benefit for me.

It's a tiny place in Spain making these by hand, though, so delivery will take quite some time. But a small Amiga which runs original games and can make backups of my old stuff is well worth it.

Khaz

Whoo! Forget the SNES Classic, the Armiga Project is running again. Orders can be made on armigaproject.com. Since I never got around to getting a solution to ripping files off Amiga disks, this is a double benefit for me.

It's a tiny place in Spain making these by hand, though, so delivery will take quite some time. But a small Amiga which runs original games and can make backups of my old stuff is well worth it.

I dig the floppy drive, it's something I miss on the MiST. I wish they went with an FPGA solution instead, and support for legacy peripherals (including RGB CRT displays).

Belker

Apologies if I've mentioned it before, but seeing those IK+ screens reminded me it that sampled Enter the Dragon. I watched the film the other day and thought the grunts and yowls sounded familiar, so I looked it up.

Fredrik

Cool! It's awesome to have an actual floppy drive on a tiny thing like that, I definitely have to check that out. :)

Otherwise you always have to rip the floppies when you're not using a real Amiga and in my experience it's not an easy thing to get right. I tried using Kryoflux, which is supposed to work fantastically, and still ran into far too many floppys that couldn't be ripped. No idea what's the problem. WHDLoad is a way to get the games on a digital medium but I'd like my own saves and AMOS games etc ripped too which hasn't worked so far. So floppy support is a must for me!

Off Topic but still relevant. There is something called The 64 Mini too, a mini Commodore 64 which started as an indigogo campaign which has entered production now. :)

Fularu

Banned
The lack of scanlines on that Amiga games setup irks me. I understand that options were limited when you put your setup together (especially with the prices that internal scandoubler MK2 commands) but now the Amiga can truly shine on modern displays through two different units :

- DISPL15 from Micomsoft (it's actually quite old and rather hard to find but boy is it great for the Amiga once you get a PAL to JP21 adapter)
- The OSSC (check this thread : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=84788 )

Having both I say they're superior to the classic like of Amiga Scandoublers. You should check one out ;-)

My GF sleeps in the room that has the Amiga right now, but I can take some pictures tomorrow

Fredrik

The lack of scanlines on that Amiga games setup irks me. I understand that options were limited when you put your setup together (especially with the prices that internal scandoubler MK2 commands) but now the Amiga can truly shine on modern displays through two different units :

- DISPL15 from Micomsoft (it's actually quite old and rather hard to find but boy is it great for the Amiga once you get a PAL to JP21 adapter)
- The OSSC (check this thread : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=84788 )

Having both I say they're superior to the classic like of Amiga Scandoublers. You should check one out ;-)

My GF sleeps in the room that has the Amiga right now, but I can take some pictures tomorrow
Yeah it's not perfect in that area. I'll check those out!

I'm currently running the DVI out at 100hz to get 50hz smooth on my monitor. However, I think the Amiga ran the output in 49.9xxxxhz and that tiny difference from 50hz adds a tiny tear line that slowly crawls over the screen which could be annoying if you're a purist.

Fredrik

MåndagSöndag;243152595 said:
amiga has rgb out on all systems. just hook that baby up to a crt.
Nah that's what I had before, I had an original bulky old Amiga monitor for extreme purity. But I wanted it sitting there always ready for action on the PC desk so that's why it's on the BenQ now. It's great tbh but the scanlines mods mentioned above sounds interesting though!

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Relive is a short free borderland-looking scifi educational adventure on CPR(!!!) for pc

the reason why i post it here is because entire game is filled with
pirated
amiga-sounding games disks like ik-, the secret of ape island, super toad, hurrican, deluxe painter, work desk and others, also non working computers are in guru meditation! XD

Saoshyant

Hullo Amiga enthusiasts. I have never owned one of those machines and just decided to change that and get an Amiga 1200. I picked that one because I remember it was the basis of the CD32, so I figured it would give me access to the largest library of games possible on the system. This may have been a wrong assumption, but it's too late now.

What I would like to know is anything useful in the care of such an old machine. I hear the PSU should be replaced by a better one including from an A500 and that the caps should be replaced. Are either of these true? Also, does any store in Europe sell replacement chargers? Anything else I should be aware of?

I also read a problematic thing a couple of hours ago that said a lot of A500 games aren't compatible, but that there's a method of loading an older fw image (1.4 I think) which allows to play older games for that session just fine. Does this work with that WHLoader thingy and CF card mod that people seem to do? Mine only has a floppy drive currently.

Fredrik

Hullo Amiga enthusiasts. I have never owned one of those machines and just decided to change that and get an Amiga 1200. I picked that one because I remember it was the basis of the CD32, so I figured it would give me access to the largest library of games possible on the system. This may have been a wrong assumption, but it's too late now.

What I would like to know is anything useful in the care of such an old machine. I hear the PSU should be replaced by a better one including from an A500 and that the caps should be replaced. Are either of these true? Also, does any store in Europe sell replacement chargers? Anything else I should be aware of?

I also read a problematic thing a couple of hours ago that said a lot of A500 games aren't compatible, but that there's a method of loading an older fw image (1.4 I think) which allows to play older games for that session just fine. Does this work with that WHLoader thingy and CF card mod that people seem to do? Mine only has a floppy drive currently.
Congrats! :D
I have never been forced to replace any capacitors in any of my Amigas yet, but I had to change the PSU to a bigger one when I started experimenting with a CF card/drive and turbo cards.
Amiga 1200 is still okay, no doubt, especially for the whdload mods, but the 500 v 1.2 is the best version in my opinion if you intend to play lots of old games and don't want any hassle.
I've ordered several things from http://www.vesalia.de/

Saoshyant

Thanks for the reply, I hope I don't have to buy an A500 later on. Maybe I'll look into that Armiga thing mentioned in this thread, since that seems to be a modern A500 solution.

The store you pointed out sadly doesn't seem to sell A500 PSUs or modern replacements I can use on the A1200. There's some A1200 PSUs on sale there but I already have one and, aside that, there's a CD32 available as well which would be useless to me. I have searched online and can't really find anyone selling replacements with even one of the places I found selling PC-like PSUs for Amigas being out of stock. This could be problematic.

Meanwhile, might as well share what I bought (still waiting on it):

Saoshyant

My A1200 still hasn't arrived from the UK, but I'm doing what any sane person would do and am waiting patiently. I'm a normie, old me.

Ah, I wish! Learning that I couldn't play all A500 games on the A1200 and that I would need an A500 PSU anyway made me look into local ads and, what ya know

C28vuZX.jpg

An A500 with its box, tons of games, an original Mega Drive six button controller, and a 1084S monitor also boxed? And the whole thing was cheaper than what the A1200 costed me and the seller was nearby? Couldn't resist it.

R70exXH.jpg

1upIY8Z.jpg

Now I'm finally living the Amiga experience!

Fredrik

My A1200 still hasn't arrived from the UK, but I'm doing what any sane person would do and am waiting patiently. I'm a normie, old me.

Ah, I wish! Learning that I couldn't play all A500 games on the A1200 and that I would need an A500 PSU anyway made me look into local ads and, what ya know

C28vuZX.jpg

An A500 with its box, tons of games, an original Mega Drive six button controller, and a 1084S monitor also boxed? And the whole thing was cheaper than what the A1200 costed me and the seller was nearby? Couldn't resist it.

R70exXH.jpg

1upIY8Z.jpg

Now I'm finally living the Amiga experience!
Awesome! :D
You should get a joystick too for the most awesome Amiga experience.

I have my old A500 left too for the occasional games that won't run on my modded 1200, I don't use it much but it's great to know it's there if I need it. The extra mem has broken though but otherwise it works just as when I bought in in the mid 80's. :)

Khaz

Damn, what? I was considering getting a 1200, what games can't it play? Reading online apparently it has trouble with disks but can still play everything through WHLoad? I'm a sucker for floppies and physical media in general, should I just give up on the A1200?

Turrican3

Damn, what? I was considering getting a 1200, what games can't it play? Reading online apparently it has trouble with disks but can still play everything through WHLoad? I'm a sucker for floppies and physical media in general, should I just give up on the A1200?
IIRC the caveat with whdload is that some games might require more memory than when played from disk. It's been a while though so don't quote me on that... there should be a notice included in the whdload patch/loader anyway, if that's the case.

Otherwise you should be fine generally speaking, of course assuming the game(s) you have interest for have actually been patched.

munster

Neo Member

What a load of tosh!

I remember selling my Amiga 500 and getting an Amiga 1200. Yes some older games didn't run on the new a1200. For that we had a 1.3 boot disk. We booted that up on the a1200 first. Then it reset, and presented you with the old 1.3 kickstart boot screen (hand holding a floppy). We then put in what disk we wanted to play, and it booted and played. Never had a game that didn't boot that way on an a1200, that wasn't compatible. That included all complation disks too. Not sure where you will find that said boot disk now. I just remembered I made several copies, labelled "1.3 Boot" with a black marker. All sitting in the front of my disk case.

Fredrik

Nah the A1200 is awesome with a Compact Flash hdd mod, seriously awesome, it's tricky to get it all to work but there are step by step guides on the net and when you get it to work you won't ever look back.
With an A500 you'll most likely be stuck using floppies, just use an emulator for the few that won't work on the A1200.

The only problem is getting the floppies you made yourself on the hdd, I use the KryoFlux preservation device to get my old floppies into adf-files but it's really unstable, I don't know what I'm doing wrong but it's definitely not working like they said it would. And so far those rips only work in emulators since adf-files on the Amiga isn't the right way to go. Someone recommended the Gotek floppy emulator way back in this thread and I think that may be the way to go for the whdload-unsupported floppies.

dose

What a load of tosh!

I remember selling my Amiga 500 and getting an Amiga 1200. Yes some older games didn't run on the new a1200. For that we had a 1.3 boot disk. We booted that up on the a1200 first. Then it reset, and presented you with the old 1.3 kickstart boot screen (hand holding a floppy). We then put in what disk we wanted to play, and it booted and played. Never had a game that didn't boot that way on an a1200, that wasn't compatible. That included all complation disks too. Not sure where you will find that said boot disk now. I just remembered I made several copies, labelled "1.3 Boot" with a black marker. All sitting in the front of my disk case.
Sorry, but you're the one talking rubbish!

Yes the Kickstart disk helped boot up older games but there were a lot of floppies that it didn't work with, and so can't be played on the A1200, Pinball Dreams, Heimdall, Midwinter and Premiere spring to mind. These incompatible games may work on an A1200 with WHLoad but the floppies certainly don't.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sorry, but you're the one talking rubbish!

Yes the Kickstart disk helped boot up older games but there were a lot of floppies that it didn't work with, and so can't be played on the A1200, Pinball Dreams, Heimdall, Midwinter and Premiere spring to mind. These incompatible games may work on an A1200 with WHLoad but the floppies certainly don't.

The thing that broke more games on the 1200 than anything else was the use of self-modifying code. Disabling the pre-fetch cache on the 68020 fixed a load of stuff and could be achieved with a couple of lines of code. One of the easiest credits I ever got was slotting that in to the loader on Armour Geddon II :D

Can't remember off-hand whether I gave Paul (Hunter, who coded that game and its predecessor) any other fixes -maybe a bit to zero the AGA chipset registers- because 1992 is a friggin' eternity ago, but he was nice enough to stick my name on for literally a 5 min chat.

Still saddens me that I never got to finish a game on Amiga... got sidelined onto Megadrive and another project that never saw light of day... Still, in the end it forced me into writing C and continuing for a few years longer in the Playstation era.

Top Bottom