• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Apple WWDC 2007 Thread

jesus, down to $120.

considering the price i got it at, and the fact that i plan on getting more today, im not sure if i should be happy, or sad right now.

My (limited) Safari impressions:

+ Awesome font rendering, much easier and appealing to the eyes.
+ Speed. It's anecdotal, but browsing did feel quicker.
- No inline spell checking.
- I use Roboform for password management.
- UI doesn't seem very customizable.
- My Firefox extensions, let me show you them.

woxel1

I just got back from the keynote. You guys all know how it went so I have nothing to report other than it was really, really fun to be in the same room with Steve Jobs (I was four rows from the front), the iPhone, and so many other mac enthusiasts. Hearing "we think you're going to love it" and "and one last thing" (twice!) really made my day.

yayaba

Firefox has a hard enough time grabbing market share as it is. I'm not sure what releasing Safari on Windows is going to accomplish.

GG-Duo

yayaba said:
Firefox has a hard enough time grabbing market share as it is. I'm not sure what releasing Safari on Windows is going to accomplish.

It's more for Web Developers who need to support Safari.

yayaba said:

Apple has staked their entire financial future on Safari for Windows!

pxleyes

Banned
Are you guys downloading the standalone Safari or the one with Quicktime?

I'm getting nothing but garbled text with the standalone.

bluemax said:
Mine doesn't seem to be doing anything different.
it stopped so I can only assume it was something unrelated that happened at the exact same time.

and certain programs I use don't work through Safari, which can be a bit of a problem. Maybe it's just a result of safari not being compatible until today so a forthcoming update will fix that problem.

vv standalone. I already have quicktime w/itunes, don't need it again. no problems here.

aoi tsuki

i'm using it in Vista. It's snappier over all and renders pages noticeably faster than Firefox, though RAM usage is higher -- 205MB versus 185MB for the same twelve tabs. Processor usage is at a constant ~13%, and my hard drive. i don't really like the font rendering, although you can turn the smoothing to light (which i prefer), medium (default), or strong.

Safari could never be a contender with me because i rely on Firefox extensions, but for a beta it's performance is pretty impressive so far. It runs noticeably better than iTunes.

E-phonk

Banned
Is there actually a reason why Apple wants its own proprietary browser? Wouldn't they be better of with a strong collaboration with any of the current players like firefox or opera?

pxleyes

Banned
E-phonk said:
Is there actually a reason why Apple wants its own proprietary browser? Wouldn't they be better of with a strong collaboration with any of the current players like firefox or opera?

LOL. The definition of Apple is proprietary.

Phoenix

sonycowboy said:
Down $2.00 (I'll stop for now - clearly investors were disappointed)

Not really. Apple stock is almost always sold off towards the end of every keynote. There is a run-up on the price/value before the show and then smart daytraders start selling it off. Large institutional investors aren't doing anything with their shares.

aoi tsuki

shantyman said:
Safari for XP looks like a quick and (very) dirty port. I would assume the Vista one is much better?
It's the same download.

i just noticed that it doesn't put favicons on each tab. Everything's a grey mess. :(

djkimothy

E-phonk said:

Their browser runs off Konquerer's rendering engine. It's open source!

woxel1

I didn't see this mentioned in the thread -- it's just a minor visual thing. When a window is dragged below the new dock, it has this amazing little reflection effect. Actually, there were a lot of neat visual touches to the OS that you'd have to see in motion to appreciate. I really enjoy the visual jump from Tiger -> Leopard overall more than Panther -> Tiger.

yayaba

Ok I stand corrected. After using XP Safari a lot more now, I can say this thing is FAST. It takes awhile to query servers but once that happens, everything just loads up on my screen in an instant.

Can't wait to try it out on my home Macbook.

yayaba

I think after thinking about things, I'm sold on Leopard. While I probably won't use most of the features, a new Finder that is hopefully powerful enough (so I can replace Path Finder...), a new Desktop, Time Machine, Spaces, and Web Clips will be enough for me.

Quick Look looks like Preview on steroids.

Is Safari 3 still using a brushed metal interface for OS X? I installed it and it's still brushed metal... perhaps it's just because I was using SafariStand to mod the UI, and that screwed something up?

985boi

The loading is quick and smooth on my ghetto ass pc.

I'm having problems accessing videos on NBA.com though. Everytime I click on a video link, it won't pop up.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
This is very cool:

Leopard brings a quicker way to switch between Mac OS X and Windows: Just choose the new Apple menu item “Restart in Windows.” Your Mac goes into “safe sleep” so that when you return, you’ll be right where you were. It’s much faster than restarting the computer each time. Likewise, a “Restart in Mac OS X” menu item in the Boot Camp System Tray in Windows makes for a faster return to Mac OS X. With Windows hibernation enabled, you can pick up where you left off.

ckohler

StrikerObi said:
Is Safari 3 still using a brushed metal interface for OS X? I installed it and it's still brushed metal... perhaps it's just because I was using SafariStand to mod the UI, and that screwed something up?
It's probably just Apple trying to get people more eager to upgrade to Leopard. I have UNO installed, so I didn't even notice a change in the appearance.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
HAPPY:

Automate any application.

In Leopard, Automator has a new recording function, so you can easily automate just about any application. Simply click the Record button in Automator and demonstrate the task you wish to automate. You can play back the task as many times as you need, and even edit what was recorded to refine your automation.

ckohler

Haha. I just noticed that the Search box in the upper right of Apple's new website works just like Spotlight. Try it. As a web developer, I said "wow".

I had SafariStand altering the interface to make it look unified. I was expecting it to change again when I upgraded to Safari3, but instead it was using the SafariStand unified look. I removed SafariStand and it went back to brushed metal, instead of a unified look, so I was wondering if maybe I just borked it or if they didn't change the UI in the OS X beta and kept it brushed metal.

Also, you can resize text fields, like the GAF post box. Pretty good features. The new text search is really awesome looking too. I just wish the same Apple+F command that brought it up would put it away...

Edit: Apple should buy out Inquisitor. It's the best way to search with Safari. It blows the default search box out of the water and it's free. http://www.inquisitorx.com/safari/

Phoenix

StrikerObi said:

Nope, its still brushed metal.

SuperPac

Damnit. Why'd they have to set a specific time on the 29th. :'( Looks like I won't be getting one on the 29th unless they do web orders.

Phoenix

ckohler said:
Haha. I just noticed that the Search box in the upper right of Apple's new website works just like Spotlight. Try it. As a web developer, I said "wow".

Yeah, its a good AJAX search against a limited database. Too bad they weren't able to do something similar for ADC or AppleSeed.

pxleyes

Banned
Beta indeed. This is what Safari text looks like to me:

LAW"DSFLHwCoQWEHD'j'WqohfC;w

When I copy/paste it, it comes out correct. Great job there apple!!

pxleyes

Banned
shantyman said:
I wish Apple had had the balls ot just not release it for XP. They wanted the marketshare though.

yes, you wish they had the balls to hurt their business. That would really show us Windows users who still get to use Firefox instead...

yayaba

andrewfee said:
Can anyone tell me if Safari on Windows supports colour profiles?

There's only one or two browsers on OSX that do, and I'm not aware of anything on Windows at all.

http://www.color.org/version4html.html

This image should be blue. (check it in IE7 / Firefox to see what a bad result looks like)

Shows up blue for me.

Nice, you can drag the size of this entry box. That's pretty cool.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
pxleyes said:
yes, you wish they had the balls to hurt their business. That would really show us Windows users who still get to use Firefox instead...
:lol

Please, I'm sure a lot of people said they hurt their business when they dumped floppy dirves. I don't see the point in develeoping a brand new Windows app for an OS that is as old as XP. Again, they want marketshare. Not having Safari for XP would not have been that big of a deal.

Dez

I love Safari's look in Mac OSX. But it just seems way too harsh of a contrast to Vista's other windows. I doubt Safari will make much of a dent in the Windows scene when it sticks out so badly.

sonycowboy said:
Down $2.00 (I'll stop for now - clearly investors were disappointed)

Down $4.63.

I've experienced (and ridden ;)) the stock movements around Mac events before, but I've never seen such a significant stock movement, especially looking at the volume. Some of that is obviously valuation (it's actually only down 3.5%), but still striking, IMO.

Top Bottom