• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Apple WWDC 2007 Thread

Leapord is not to Tiger, what Panther was to Jaguar.

I have concerns about compatibility with this Quick Look tech and in general the effect on performance for the Macs without fantastic graphics cards.

Dashboard and Spotlight already kill my Mac to an extent that I only use Dashboard for checking the week's weather and Spotlight hasn't been used since I installed it.
Might not buy this one, guess it's not aimed at me though.

bet you still have to pay for full screen in QuickTime, too.

sonycowboy said:
Down $4.63.

I've experienced (and ridden ;)) the stock movements around Mac events before, but I've never seen such a significant stock movement, especially looking at the volume. Some of that is obviously valuation (it's actually only down 3.5%), but still striking, IMO.
what do you make of this? think i should wait til tomorrow before i buy more? im ready for another 30 shares or so.

koam

imastalker co. said:
what do you make of this? think i should wait til tomorrow before i buy more? im ready for another 30 shares or so.

buying right before the iphone releases is pretty risky.

Safari beta is terrible. It's crashed on me twice in 10 minutes and a lot of sites don't display text at all, including some major sites.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
koam said:
buying right before the iphone releases is pretty risky.
I think it's pretty safe, actually -- the media coverage and hype is bound to inflate the stock up past its current levels (perhaps even significantly so) right around the initial launch. How the product will be received longer term is anyone's guess, but if you wanted to play it safe you could dump your stock immediately afterwards.

The new Finder is HAWT.

Spotlight searches for any computer on the network? Scorcho!

Full access to any network mac via .Mac? Hells yes.

Coverflow doc/file view? Awesome.

I want all this.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Killthee said:
Er, yes. Yes it does.
And since I'm here, 日本語がまだできないかな。。。
Well shit! It seems to work for me, anyone else see the Japanese fine?

Phoenix

Visualante said:
Leapord is not to Tiger, what Panther was to Jaguar.

I have concerns about compatibility with this Quick Look tech and in general the effect on performance for the Macs without fantastic graphics cards.

Dashboard and Spotlight already kill my Mac to an extent that I only use Dashboard for checking the week's weather and Spotlight hasn't been used since I installed it.
Might not buy this one, guess it's not aimed at me though.

bet you still have to pay for full screen in QuickTime, too.

Spotlight is so stupidly faster in 10.5 that you'll wonder how it was so shitting in 10.4. Dashboard is significantly improved as well such that it can no longer kill' a machine unless you have just hundreds upon hundreds of widgets starting out. QuickLook is far more CPU dependent than it is GPU dependent. If you have a modern mac, you won't notice performance issues - it you have a G4 class mac you may have some issues though.

djkimothy

Phoenix said:
Spotlight is so stupidly faster in 10.5 that you'll wonder how it was so shitting in 10.4. Dashboard is significantly improved as well such that it can no longer kill' a machine unless you have just hundreds upon hundreds of widgets starting out. QuickLook is far more CPU dependent than it is GPU dependent. If you have a modern mac, you won't notice performance issues - it you have a G4 class mac you may have some issues though.

:(

Garrr! If only I had waited 3 more months!

syllogism

Picture2.png

Clearly a joke but hey

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
_leech_ said:
My (limited) Safari impressions:

+ Awesome font rendering, much easier and appealing to the eyes.
+ Speed. It's anecdotal, but browsing did feel quicker.
- No inline spell checking.
- I use Roboform for password management.
- UI doesn't seem very customizable.
- My Firefox extensions, let me show you them.

You have to turn inline spell checking on.

Also, the word search in Safari is cool.

Sean

Banned
shantyman said:
You have to turn inline spell checking on.

He is probably using the Windows version of Safari... The spell checking in Mac side is built into the OS (so every app has it). so i doubt there is spell checking in safari pc.

Terrell

pxleyes said:
LOL. The definition of Apple is proprietary.
Sure you're not thinking of Microsoft as the definition of proprietary? MS IS the company that has throroughly BORKED MSN for Mac and made it nearly impossible for any 3rd-party company to code its protocol features into a 3rd-party app. Not even APPLE is that ruthless. Oh, and let's not forget Windows Media Player...

cjdunn

shantyman said:

HOLY CRAP! PURTY!

Sean said:
He is probably using the Windows version of Safari... The spell checking in Mac side is built into the OS (so every app has it). so i doubt there is spell checking in safari pc.

I thought that at first, but sure enough it's in there: Edit > Spelling > Check Spelling While Typing

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be consistently on, like in Gaf Post textboxes. :(

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Phoenix said:

So was what they were supposed to roll out hardware or software? Certainly you can specify that.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
RevenantKioku said:
Er, yes. Yes it does.
And since I'm here, 日本語がまだできないかな。。。
Well shit! It seems to work for me, anyone else see the Japanese fine?

It works for me when I run it under OS X, but not when I run it under Vista.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Killthee said:
It works for me when I run it under OS X, but not when I run it under Vista.
The tab notifier or the Japanese?

Sean

Banned
Hm, does the Windows version of Safari have an extra preference?

I don't see this option to change default search engine (running Safari 3 beta on Mac OS 10.4 Tiger):
safari3_beta_06.gif

Do any other Mac users see it?

Fatalah

Well here I am making the obligatory post using Safari on my Vista machine.

It looks snazzy.
I feel like I'm on a Mac.
The color scheme fits perfect with Vista.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
_leech_ said:
My (limited) Safari impressions:

+ Awesome font rendering, much easier and appealing to the eyes.

This is not my experience. Here's what it makes of Slashdot out of the box on my machine:

safari.jpg

WTF is with that font?

ckohler

_leech_ said:
Ahh, there it is. Running on XP.
edit: Doesn't seem like it does anything.
It may not. On the Mac it uses the system wide spelling service. I'm not sure if XP or Vista have a similar OS level service.

Captain N

imastalker co. said:
jesus, down to $120.

considering the price i got it at, and the fact that i plan on getting more today, im not sure if i should be happy, or sad right now.

wait..whats only $120 now?

pxleyes

Banned
Terrell said:
Sure you're not thinking of Microsoft as the definition of proprietary? MS IS the company that has throroughly BORKED MSN for Mac and made it nearly impossible for any 3rd-party company to code its protocol features into a 3rd-party app. Not even APPLE is that ruthless. Oh, and let's not forget Windows Media Player...

:lol Which OS requires a strict set of hardware components and which lets you use whatever the hell you want?

Chittagong

Gold Member
So wait, they're actually handing out copies of Leopard Beta with all that new Finder stuff? Just how won't it be on every torrent tracker within the hour? OSX doesn't require any sort of authentication.

pxleyes said:
:lol Which OS requires a strict set of hardware components and which lets you use whatever the hell you want?
which one is more optimized and efficient?

Chittagong said:
So wait, they're actually handing out copies of Leopard Beta with all that new Finder stuff? Just how won't it be on every torrent tracker within the hour? OSX doesn't require any sort of authentication.
holy shit? where they?!?!

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
It just came to me.. instead of Safari for windows (pretty damn useless with all the browser competition and choice there is out there, and it will never be able to copete with firefox flexiiblity) why the hell didnt apple release MAIL? Now THAT is an app I would have jumped on, no questions asked. There are much less options when it comes to mail clients, and I havent yet used one that is more pleasant or functional (for the average individual, not corporate needs) than apple mail. But that would have made too much sense, as it is an app that would have actually contributed and filled a void. Just like iTunes did. Safari? No. There is basically NO reason a windows user would make a switch to safari. Easier to use? Come on.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
i downloaded safari for windows and right now the experience is horrible, garbled text everywhere, crashes a lot plus no easy way to import bookmarks that i can see, hopefully when it comes out of the beta it will run great, but right now it sucks for me.

capslock said:
Your Momma!
well duh, she's running on OS X after all.

what's funny is i just got my mom her first mac a couple days ago. she started using computers/windows once napster hit, and hasn't really learned how to do much aside from web browsing, music downloading, and burning cds.

in the few days that she's had a mac, she's ****in doing all kinds of shit that she never though she'd do with a computer.

Ginko

After trying Safari several times:
Wow, Safari is BAD. Sorry Apple, the conference was going so well with the nice Leopard features, but Safari on Windows? That's a failure.

- Very slow minimizing and maximizing.
- Doesn't show my auto-hidden taskbar, I can't use it unless I press the Windows button on my keyboard.
- Font problems.
- Crashed several times.
- Bad interface.
- Can't see why they call it faster than FF, I did a couple of comparisons and I can't see the difference.

This could be good if they did a whole redone for the final release.

yayaba

Someone made a point that by releasing Safari for Windows, it allows developers to write and test apps for the iPhone.

I think the whole thing about increasing marketshare was crock. I don't see that happening. But having a viable way for the legions of Windows users to use Safari for iPhone purposes fits in with their whole Web 2.0 "software" for iPhone.

vitaflo

Chittagong said:

Handing it out to Devs who paid for the conference, all of whom are under NDA. Will most likely still get leaked but it's not like it went out to the masses.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Chittagong said:

...this happened with 10.3 and 10.4. It's nothing new.

Ginko said:
After trying Safari several times:
Wow, Safari is BAD. Sorry Apple, the conference was going so well with the nice Leopard features, but Safari on Windows? That's a failure.

- Very slow minimizing and maximizing.
- Doesn't show my auto-hidden taskbar, I can't use it unless I press the Windows button on my keyboard.
- Font problems.
- Crashed several times.
- Bad interface.
- Can't see why they call it faster than FF, I did a couple of comparisons and I can't see the difference.

This could be good if they did a whole redone for the final release.

BETA! Say it with me now! BETA!

Karma Kramer said:
So wait this was a 3 hour conference and yet all that was announced was mirror dock/finder cover flow/and safari on windows?

wtf

It was an hour and a half. They had "Ten Things From Leopard", Safari 3.0 for Mac and Windows, iPhone Third Party application development through Web 2.0 Apps. Not to mention EA games coming back to the Mac, and John Carmack showing off the new engine and iD property, which may end up being the most impressive technology we'll see out of this. :D

Karma Kramer said:
So wait this was a 3 hour conference and yet all that was announced was mirror dock/finder cover flow/and safari on windows?

wtf

Developer Conference! Say it with me now, Developer Conference!
:lol

Top Bottom