• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The official Civilization IV thread

siege

Banned
box.jpg

Release date: 10/25/05
Official site: http://www.civ4.com

System requirements:

MINIMUM

* Windows 2000/XP with SP1 or higher
* Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon CPU with at least 1.2 GHZ
* 256 MB RAM
* 64 MB graphics card with Hardware T&L (GeForce 2/Radeon 7500 or better)
* DirectX 7 compatible soundcard
* CD-ROM drive
* 1.7 GB free hard disk space

RECOMMENDED

* Windows XP with SP1 or higher
* Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon CPU with at least 1.8 GHz
* 512 MB RAM
* 128 MB graphics card with DirectX 8 support (pixel- and vertex shaders)
* DirectX 7 compatible soundcard
* CD-ROM drive
* 1.7 GB free hard disk space

Reviews:

IGN - 9.4
1UP - 9
Yahoo - 4.5/5
PC Gamer UK - 92%
Eurogamer - 9
Gamespot - 9.4
Gamespy 5/5

Promotional material:

Trailer narrated by Martin Sheen

919352_20051021_screen004.jpg

More screenshots at Gamespot

siege

Banned
The game is out tomorrow! I know there are quite a few people on this forum interested in picking up the game, so hopefully we can discuss what we like/dislike in this thread and maybe even arrange a multiplayer game or two.

Unison

Getting it as soon as it comes in at Gamestop! :D

I sure hope I can play it without the DVD in the drive ... I'd hate to have to get the disc out every time I want to play a bit of Civ.

Any chance I can play in a Window? Probably not. :-(

siege

Banned
A 2kgames PR rep said you had to keep the cd in the drive to play, but as you probably know, there will be ways around it. Not sure about running the game in a window - I'd guess you won't be able to.

Unison

siege said:
A 2kgames PR rep said you had to keep the cd in the drive to play, but as you probably know, there will be ways around it.

Yeah... thank goodness for the latter...

The kicker this time out is that it has to hold your DVD drive hostage, which I need for... other things...

I hope it's Alt-Tab friendly at least.

Unison

Scratch that... it's on CDs... I guess it's not a problem at all then.

For some reason I thought this was shipping on a DVD. Pirates! did, and my drive refused to recognize the DVD as a legit disc. It was a nightmare.

siege

Banned
Unison said:
Scratch that... it's on CDs... I guess it's not a problem at all then.

For some reason I thought this was shipping on a DVD. Pirates! did, and my drive refused to recognize the DVD as a legit disc. It was a nightmare.

Only the European version is on DVD..

civ4-german-big.jpg

That's a huge manual.

Bregor

Thats nothing, check out the special presell edition:

B000BI4GP6.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Contents:
Collector’s case: Navy blue bookshelf case with the Civilization IV logo.
CD Soundtrack: Containing original compositions by Christopher Tin, Jeffrey Briggs and more.
A keyboard layout for quick reference to keyboard commands during the game.
Tech Tree map: A foldout poster that displays the tech tree for ease of reference.
Spiral bound manual: The manual is upgraded from the standard perfect bound to a spiral bound version, allowing it to sit flat while open.
Disc Holder: A four-color cardboard sleeve to store the discs.

8bit

Knows the Score
siege said:
Only the European version is on DVD..

civ4-german-big.jpg

That's a huge manual.

That's because of all the long winded explanations in German.

Bregor said:

Contents:
Collector’s case: Navy blue bookshelf case with the Civilization IV logo.
CD Soundtrack: Containing original compositions by Christopher Tin, Jeffrey Briggs and more.
A keyboard layout for quick reference to keyboard commands during the game.
Tech Tree map: A foldout poster that displays the tech tree for ease of reference.
Spiral bound manual: The manual is upgraded from the standard perfect bound to a spiral bound version, allowing it to sit flat while open.
Disc Holder: A four-color cardboard sleeve to store the discs.

That's the one I'm waiting on. It would cost me much the same for the standard import from the local gameshop anyway, so I might as well get the premium package since it doesn't look as if anywhere in Euroland is carrying that.

Pimpwerx

Scientific+Industrious FTW. :D I forget who that was, the Russians? Anyway, that's what I'm all about research and building an army covertly before wiping an oppononent clean off the map in as many turns as they have cities. ;) PEACE.

Alski

I work for M$ marketing! Hi!
Bregor said:

I love how it looks like the Bible... and it’s going to have just as many followers. ;)

Mao Zedong + Expansive + Philosophical = a virus you cannot stop!

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Alski said:
I love how it looks like the Bible... and it’s going to have just as many followers. ;)

Mao Zedong + Expansive + Philosophical = a virus you cannot stop!
I still don't like the fact that Mao Zedong is the leader of the Chinese. He is in no way a good representation of the Chinese culture (I mean, he frigging started the cultural war in China and destroyed a lot of our ancient stuff). I also don't like how they had to pick Qin Shi Huang as the second leader... he's a cruel mofo Emperor who did a lot of nasty stuff. There are sooooo many other more qualified ancient Chinese leaders to pick, why did they have to choose those two !?!?

siege

Banned
NetMapel said:
I still don't like the fact that Mao Zedong is the leader of the Chinese. He is in no way a good representation of the Chinese culture (I mean, he frigging started the cultural war in China and destroyed a lot of our ancient stuff). I also don't like how they had to pick Qin Shi Huang as the second leader... he's a cruel mofo Emperor who did a lot of nasty stuff. There are sooooo many other more qualified ancient Chinese leaders to pick, why did they have to choose those two !?!?

Well, the game is highly moddable, so you can change it if you want. :)

I was hoping the Gamespot review would be up tonight, but that doesn't look likely.

Alski

NetMapel said:

I think they just happened to be the most well know of all the Chinese leaders (at least to stupid westerners like me).
But many of the leaders that have been chosen for the game were not picked because they were nice guys but the contrary, they were cruel and heartless.
Good or Evil which will you be? I choose to rule with an iron fist. :)

Alski

Alski said:
I think they just happened to be the most well know of all the Chinese leaders (at least to stupid westerners like me).
But many of the leaders that have been chosen for the game were not picked because they were nice guys but the contrary, they were cruel and heartless.
Good or Evil which will you be? I choose to rule with an iron fist. :)

I should clarify, the most well known of all the "recent" Chinese leaders.

They could have used any of the leaders from the Han Dynasty or any of the “privileged” that KOEI taught me about in the Romance series but I’m glad they are trying something a little different.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Alski said:
I should clarify, the most well known of all the "recent" Chinese leaders.

They could have used any of the leaders from the Han Dynasty or any of the “privileged” that KOEI taught me about in the Romance series but I’m glad they are trying something a little different.
I understand what you mean. However, I should stress on the fact that while people like Caesar are heartless mofos as well, they at least adhere to the tradition of their own respective cultures. Mao wanted to DESTROY the Chinese culture. He crippled China in so many ways for years, and brainwashed the children. While the Chinese are now trying their hardest to catch up for their loss economically, their general mentality are fucked as far as the present world goes.

Why do stupid game companies continue to believe people don't have frigging DVD drives in their computer? WTF? Everyone who has bought a computer in the last 4 years has a DVD Drive, and if they don't, their computer can't run this game anyways.

I want this on ONE DVD, not 4-6 damn CDs. UGH.

siege

Banned
Maxwell House said:
Why do stupid game companies continue to believe people don't have frigging DVD drives in their computer? WTF? Everyone who has bought a computer in the last 4 years has a DVD Drive, and if they don't, their computer can't run this game anyways.

I want this on ONE DVD, not 4-6 damn CDs. UGH.

I'd agree with you, but the game is only 2 CD's.

Kon Tiki

Banned
I think I will pick up my preorder on the weekend, there is no way I will get any work done this week if I get it tomorrow. Hope EB still gives me the preorder bonus.

Coop

Ill probably get my copy friday but this weekend Im going to the Carolina Panthers game (i go to PSU). Probably wont play it intill monday of next week :-\

It sucks that even the Pre-order edition isnt DVD.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
doesnt come out here for another 9 days :'(

I hope it has a windowed mode because i intend to doulbe my fix by playing this and Football Manager (and watching tv) at the same time.

Kon Tiki

Banned
My eb says it is out Thursday. :/ There are two different dates, one for today, one for thursday, and the game is not in.

Raiden

Banned
Is this a good Rts to start with? If you consider i havent been a fan of the genre exactly, and only played Caesar 3 :p

Im kinda enjoying Age of Empires 3 demo but...

8bit

Knows the Score
Mine shipped today from the Take2 store. It was the only best bet to get the limited version shipped to Switzerland and not have to pay excessive shipping. It'll probably not turn up for a week or so, but I can wait.

Zaphod

Raiden said:
Is this a good Rts to start with? If you consider i havent been a fan of the genre exactly, and only played Caesar 3 :p

Im kinda enjoying Age of Empires 3 demo but...

CIV III RTS Sucked.

I told my troops to move and nothing happened, nothing ever happened, I just sat there staring at the screen.

Raiden

Banned
Zaphod said:
CIV III RTS Sucked.

I told my troops to move and nothing happened, nothing ever happened, I just sat there staring at the screen.
Yeah i get it now.

Well, is it a good strategy game to start with?

Zaphod

Master of Orion is too old but it is the best to start with, so simple and so fun. Have not played CIV IV so I'm not to sure how newb friendly it is. CIV III was just about right in complexity and it sounds like some things may have been streamlined for IV.

Raiden said:
Yeah i get it now.

Civ is an awesome game, but it can be a bit overwhelming at first. There are so many things to look at and keep track of and different technologies to pursue. It can be a rather complex game if it's your first strategy game.

But once you get it all under control, start to understand how things are working, you're screwed, because you'll never want to leave the computer. It's very addictive. I don't know how many times I've said "Just one more turn, then I'll call it a night!" only to realize, 10 turns later, it's 3 AM. :D

Scotch

Raiden said:
Yeah i get it now.

Well it can be pretty complex and deep at first, but if you wanna start in the turnbased strategy genre, Civilization is where it's at. So yes.

DEO3

Looks like there was some kind of shiping hic-cup, and stores won't be getting it 'till tomorrow - everyone on the civ msg boards (civfanatics.com, apolyton.net) are freaking out.

Top Bottom