• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Daily Show Thread with Jon Stewart

Gruco

Banned
Damn, Koppel video proving tough to find. I think ABC owns all the good footage, and they seem to have a crap archive. :/

Firestorm

I'm just curious but can people outside the US watch the links from thedailyshow.com? I know Canadians can't, but I'm not too sure about Europe, Australia, Asia, etc.

Gruco

Banned
Oliver is great, and I also like Aasef Mandvi quite a lot. Riggle meshed really well with them before he left. The had a rebuilding period like you'd expect, but I like where they are now.

Aaron

Tamanon said:
John Oliver is probably the best correspondent in years.
Larry Wilmore is my favorite by far, but he's not on the show very often. Aasef Mandvi would be second place, though he hasn't been on all that much lately himself.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Firestorm said:
I'm just curious but can people outside the US watch the links from thedailyshow.com? I know Canadians can't, but I'm not too sure about Europe, Australia, Asia, etc.

As an Aussie i certainly can. I watch it every night via the daily shows website.

Gruco said:
The following are some of my favorites.

Paul Krugman (economics- nyt column and blog)
Ezra Klein (general policy with strong health care focus- washpo blog)
Nate Silver (poll tracking, nationwide trends, horse racing - fivethirtyeight.com)
Josh Marshal (tough to describe focus, mostly an off beat journalism that digs very deeply into a handful of stories- tpm)
Ross Douthat (token non-psychotic Republican- nyt column)
Fareed Zakaria (mostly foreign policy- newsweek)

Other good resources....

Frontline PBS has a million great shows all available online

My current mix of magazines is The New Republic, Atlantic, and Mother Jones, and I find they compliment each other very well.

McClatchy is a good daily that has an less cozy relationship with its subject matter and more off-beat sources, and they are often way ahead of the curve, particularly for Iraq intelligence and torture issues. I don't read it enough and should probably set as my homepage.
Quality post.

Socreges

Banned
just watched all the CNBC and Jim Cramer stuff for the first time. some of the funniest TDS material in a while, my god

Firestorm said:
in europe, yeah

Socreges

Banned
well, your thread sort of had a shitty name. no "official" to be seen, for one, and that bit about scribbling probably confused a large portion of members here

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Can anyone find that interview with Harry Bonilla, a member of the GOP "rapid response" team? It was another classic, Stewart totally eviscerated the dude, but I can't find it right now. It was during the 2004 election campaign I think.

Enkidu

Firestorm said:
I'd like to add that they recently blocked a large part of Europe, which led to a rather large uprising on their forums. I don't know if they have unblocked some countries since then but you still can't watch it from Sweden. Of course, it's very easy to fool their blocking system so I still watch it the same way as before.

Banned
Gruco said:
The following are some of my favorites.

Paul Krugman (economics- nyt column and blog)
Ezra Klein (general policy with strong health care focus- washpo blog)
Nate Silver (poll tracking, nationwide trends, horse racing - fivethirtyeight.com)
Josh Marshal (tough to describe focus, mostly an off beat journalism that digs very deeply into a handful of stories- tpm)
Ross Douthat (token non-psychotic Republican- nyt column)
Fareed Zakaria (mostly foreign policy- newsweek)

Other good resources....

Frontline PBS has a million great shows all available online

My current mix of magazines is The New Republic, Atlantic, and Mother Jones, and I find they compliment each other very well.

McClatchy is a good daily that has an less cozy relationship with its subject matter and more off-beat sources, and they are often way ahead of the curve, particularly for Iraq intelligence and torture issues. I don't read it enough and should probably set as my homepage.
Jeez, can you breathe in that bubble? Is this considered mixed. LOL

Gruco

Banned
Note that at no point do I say that list is comprehensive. I only use the word "favorite." Would have no problem discussing further but not really interested in derailing the thead. If you think Oblivion is getting bad advice in his search for intelligent commentary you could have felt free to offer your own suggestions.

Gruco said:
Note that at no point do I say that list is comprehensive. I only use the word "favorite." Would have no problem discussing further but not really interested in derailing the thead. If you think Oblivion is getting bad advice in his search for intelligent commentary you could have felt free to offer your own suggestions.
I don't think Peggy Noonan, Frum, and Limbaugh will educate anyone.

nny

Firestorm said:

I'm in Portugal and a couple of weeks ago they cut our access to the videos. Of course there's a workaround, so I still get my daily dose )

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I remember watching this when Kilborn was the host.

Kinda weird how he took that 5 questions bit with him to CBS. I wonder how he pulled that off.

APF

God's Beard said:
Colbert's funnier, but I usually like Stewart's interviews better. He's not playing a character, so he winds up asking better questions.
Stewart used to be an awful interviewer, but he's gotten a lot better over the years, and now he's definitely the better of the two. When Colbert runs into a roadblock in his interviews you can see the gears churning and he falls back onto his persona to keep things moving, which is awkward because at the same time, he's dialing back that persona both in interviews and in general.

APF said:
Stewart used to be an awful interviewer, but he's gotten a lot better over the years, and now he's definitely the better of the two. When Colbert runs into a roadblock in his interviews you can see the gears churning and he falls back onto his persona to keep things moving, which is awkward because at the same time, he's dialing back that persona both in interviews and in general.

Colbert interviews are awkward at times because they are essentially mock interviews which doesn't work so well when it's a fairly serious person. It's a liberal person pretending to be a conservative person in some cases trying to hold a fairly straightforward interview. It works on the more breezy guests but not so much when there isn't a lot of territory for mocking the person.

It's generally at it's best when he is interviewing a conservative you can tell he doesn't much like or at least like their ideology.

By playing a character the difficulty of his interviews is of a much higher degree.

APF

It's hard for a guest to work with a mock interview, and also a little insulting, which is why I figure he's been dialing that back recently. But as I said, he still runs for his conserva-whatever persona when there's a lull in the interview, which comes out forced and awkward.

APF said:
It's hard for a guest to work with a mock interview, and also a little insulting, which is why I figure he's been dialing that back recently. But as I said, he still runs for his conserva-whatever persona when there's a lull in the interview, which comes out forced and awkward.

I don't think it's insulting at all. They know what the show is before they go on so in my view it isn't insulting in the least. They go there to plug themselves or whatever they want to plug and because it is a popular and hip show to a certain demo. This isn't the newshour and they know that going in.

That being said I think Colbert realizes it is difficult for them in certain cases which is why he tries to carry the interview which can be funny but makes it more like a comedy bit than a real interview.

APF

Just because you know something going into something, does not.... you know, this is a boring discussion, so forget it. My point is, it's awkward when he dials back the character, but weakly runs to it when he's trying to get an interview rolling again. Overall, he's been dialing back the BO'R aspect of his persona; now it's not so much a conservative parody as it is a parody of a narcissistic character who happens to be "conservative." I think TDS has done a lot better transitioning from a Republican Administration to a Democrat one, in terms of finding their thematic footing.

APF said:
I think TDS has done a lot better transitioning from a Republican Administration to a Democrat one, in terms of finding their thematic footing.

I think TDS has done a gradual transition over the years from being a celebrity centric show to a politics lite centric show. Even if the correspondents aren't of the quality of the Bush years, the theme of the show in general is more consistent. That's the more noticeable trend to me rather than a switchover from a Democratic to a Republican administration.

The show is less about Cameron Diaz interviews than whoever inhabits the pop culture world surrounding politics.

Pakkidis

BorkBork said:
Thanks. Comedy Network's website is still trash for me.

Their videoplayer is not working for me, it seems to be frozen for the longest time now. Is anyone else having this problem on this website.

APF

Stoney Mason said:
I think TDS has done a gradual transition over the years from being a celebrity centric show to a politics lite centric show.
Sure, over the course of its entire run, but it's absurd not to acknowledge the degree to which retaliation against the Bush Administration and Republican political dominance played into that transition, or to TDS' subsequent rise in status and popularity as the preeminent political satire of its time (and likely in this generation)--or, not to notice the stumbling both it and its sister show have gone through trying to find targets to lash out at with the same degree of venom they previously reserved for Bush & co.

APF said:
Sure, over the course of its entire run, but it's absurd not to acknowledge the degree to which retaliation against the Bush Administration and Republican political dominance played into that transition, or to TDS' subsequent rise in status and popularity as the preeminent political satire of its time (and likely in this generation)--or, not to notice the stumbling both it and its sister show have gone through trying to find targets to lash out at with the same degree of venom they previously reserved for Bush & co.

That's because nobody has been as fucking dumb as them yet. Give it time.

APF said:
or, not to notice the stumbling both it and its sister show have gone through trying to find targets to lash out at with the same degree of venom they previously reserved for Bush & co.

The false idea implicit here imo is that the show requires them to dish out the same level of venom and pretend every circumstance is of the exact same level of importance. They'll continue to criticize Obama and the national Republicans and they'll especially criticize Obama if he makes either the same mistakes Bush made or ones of the same calibur of incompetence.

Things like the Jim Crammer incident show they don't necessarily need George Bush to be relevant post George Bush.

phalestine

aka iby.h
Awesome, I actually had this idea a while ago but I for some reason have like a phobia of making threads, so good job on the thread firestorm.

APF

Stoney Mason said:
The false idea implicit here imo is that the show requires them to dish out the same level of venom and pretend every circumstance is of the exact same level of importance.
The real idea here is that they have based the show on that level of venom for the last four years or so, and are trying to find their way into a format that's not based on it. The CNBC incident demonstrates the fallacy of your implicit assertion, that they have not tried searching for other targets in that vein.

Honestly though, I'm tired of you jumping on everything I say, so whatever.

You're trying and have BEEN trying to somehow "figure out" the Comedy Central hosts and what their methods truly reveal about their inner motives and goals, when both Stewart and Colbert have both stated very many times that they are simply are comedy shows that point out the ineptitude of politicians and mainstream media whilst making dick and fart jokes. Clearly they both have a preference, but for them the bullshit effect lies on both sides.

You're trying to pin them as something way more than they are.

APF

BrandNew said:
You're trying and have BEEN trying to somehow "figure out" the Comedy Central hosts and what their methods truly reveal about their inner motives and goals
No, I haven't.

APF said:
The real idea here is that they have based the show on that level of venom for the last four years or so, and are trying to find their way into a format that's not based on it. The CNBC incident demonstrates the fallacy of your implicit assertion, that they have not tried searching for other targets in that vein.

Honestly though, I'm tired of you jumping on everything I say, so whatever.

I was perfectly polite and having what I thought was a perfectly reasonable discussion with you. You had your opinion and I had mine. I wasn't overly attacking you at all. Just carrying on discourse with a differing opinion. Your problem is that you think when I legitimately disagree with you and am having a polite discussion you think I have some sort of vendetta against you and yet when you actually piss me off you don't recognize the difference. The difference is that when I'm legit pissed off a stream of curse words will fly from my keyboard.

See No curse words. So I'm in a perfectly fine mood and you haven't pissed me off. Can't we all just get along.

Rodney-King.jpg

APF said:
I didn't say you were attacking me, I said I was tired of you jumping on everything I say.

I always get in this weird mix of this viewpoint you have that either I'm stalking you or actually trying to engage you in conservation on a message board which is what I view it as. I find it nearly impossible to distinguish the difference to suit you so its probably better off I just stop responding to your posts at all for awhile so that you see I treat you roughly no different than I treat anybody else on this board. I'm equally a mean cynical ass to everybody. Look at my tag.

APF

I just like to be able to post on-topic musings without the entire thread turning into the "jump on APF" show. If I'm cagey it's because I always get the sense people are constantly searching for reasons to disagree with me.

I know though, it's because I'm constantly so horribly wrong! And you can't stand for someone being Wrong On The Internet. But still.

Firestorm said:

Can in the UK. Can't watch Colbert however.

Top Bottom