• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Endless Ocean 2 thread: A humpback whale is about to ram us!

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Teddman said:
If I've never played the original, would you recommend skipping directly to the sequel? Does this game pretty much make the first one irrelevant or redundant, or do they cover different, er, ground?

Technically, the second is superior in every respect, and to that extent it makes the first redundant.

However there is a huge difference in atmosphere between the two.

In Endless Ocean, you are alone with the ocean except for your mentor (or tormentor) Catherine – other characters play only minor and remote parts. In the game nature takes its course and you are mostly an observer – it is a vision of you in eternity and the challenge is how you cope and how you pace yourself and task yourself in your intimacy with the sealife. It is very sandboxy, and doesn't order you around so much.

In Endless Ocean 2, you are part of a team of developed characters with an objective or several in mind – to the extent that sometimes the creatures are an obstacle course rather than just being themselves. The focus is more on the human endeavour than on the ocean world, and that gives a completely different feeling to the game. It's more structured, more task-oriented.

(those are extracts from my GameFAQs review)

In addition the first game is more real - pretty well everything in it is obsessively accurate to the extent that even the in-game myths are real myths.

The second takes more liberties with reality for the purposes of the game.

Poyunch

Yeah it's sort of why I can't/don't want to get into the series. I don't enjoy the fact that I can't just enjoy the ocean and fishies in the second game since some may attack you but I don't want to get the first because the second game has made some improvements over it.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
PounchEnvy said:
Yeah it's sort of why I can't/don't want to get into the series. I don't enjoy the fact that I can't just enjoy the ocean and fishies in the second game since some may attack you but I don't want to get the first because the second game has made some improvements over it.

The first one (if you can find it) is still a great game (and I find the swimming controls just a touch better than in the second one) and completely danger-free.

It isn't very difficult to avoid danger in the second one once you have made your way through the main story bit. You learn very quickly which areas to avoid (and to approach shark-infested areas from above) - it's not like there is danger everywhere.

gamingeek

Sammy Samusu said:
I approve this idea, but we need rankings and someone to decide the constests. I vote for gamingeek. :D

Yes, I shall be like the Randy Jackson of Endless Ocean 2.

"Yo dog, that was phat, I was digging it until you broke out with the whale dong."

TunaLover

I recently pick this game, it's really something, never got the chance of getting the first one. The only down is that I need friends to play it online =P

I will upload some captures if I can shake up my laziness =)

heringer

Been playing this for the last couple days and I love it. I liked the first game, but this one is an improvement in almost every way.

I still don't know how I feel about dangerous creatures though. It's more realistic and it sometimes gives you a chilling feeling that it's how I expect diving in unknow waters would be.

On the other hand it can be annoying to visit some areas full of aggressive creatures when you just want to explore.

But still, game is awesome. It feels like there's a sense of purpose now. You always have something to do and are constantly being rewarded, not just by beautifull sights but also in a tangible way. To make things even better, there's a more robust story now.

And oh boy, it looks stunning.

I hope Akira is making Endless Ocean 3DS. 3D is such a perfect fit for Endless Ocean.

Top Bottom