• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Endless Ocean 2 thread: A humpback whale is about to ram us!

Mudo

I picked this up last night and played through the tutorial section with the Classic Controller and I'm really not liking the controls with it. What do you all think is the best controller to use for the game that feels the most natural??

Danneee

Mudo said:
I picked this up last night and played through the tutorial section with the Classic Controller and I'm really not liking the controls with it. What do you all think is the best controller to use for the game that feels the most natural??

Controlling the game with the remote works really well.

gamingeek

Danneee said:
Just remote, you control direction by aiming, swim forward by pressing B and use tools with A.

And use + to auto swim. Also hit B twice quickly for a 180 turn. And press down on the d-pad, go into your menu and set the controls to advanced/expert which will make turning better.

Also, does anyone know why n europe is censored?

Tab0203

You don't need the nunchuk. Endless Ocean's one-handed pointer control scheme deserves more praise.

Compare it to Arika's diving games on PS2:

Everblue 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL4Yr2n2dSE#t=2m28s
Everblue 2 (flashlight) Is this a joke? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZHEBBWiJzY#t=1m28s

Endless Ocean 2 - Whale Shark (large) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX-5o5dISBY
Endless Ocean - Montage (flashlight) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjhhQefoLS8#t=4m39s

One-handed controls: drink, eat or smoke while gaming:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18193722&postcount=69
added Silent Hill, Max and the Magic Marker, NSMB Wii

gamingeek said:
Endless Ocean Blue World Gamespot review
http://uk.gamespot.com/wii/adventure/foreverblue2beautifulocean/review.html

This underwater adventure is beautiful, enchanting, and a big improvement over the original.

Most areas of Blue World show a substantial improvement over the original. However, the awkward camera control scheme and the limited multiplayer elements are left largely unchanged. Pointing the Wii Remote at the edges of the screen to turn can be a slow and imprecise process at first, but it does grow less irritating the longer you play. Managing all of the other inventory, movement, and item commands with one-handed button presses generally works well, though a nunchuk attachment movement option would have been nice.
To navigate the menus? You can use the d-pad or pointer for that. Faster and more precise.

To control the camera? You can use the pointer for that. Faster* and more precise, smooth camera, no analog stick deadzone/auto re-center (resistance). It's fucking obvious why the camera is so slow. Same with the size of the bounding box.

*Endless Ocean 3 incl. turning speed customization

Here's a 1 out of 5 joke "review" with basically the same complaint:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2010/feb/03/endless-ocean-2-game-review
Unfortunately, this potential bliss is shattered by irritation of a thousand cuts. The control system is slow and cumbersome, and your character takes an enormous amount of time to get anywhere of interest. You feel like you're playing the game from a cocoon of soggy cotton wool,
*sigh* What is he talking about? Player movement? Camera movement? Turning speed? Bounding box? Cursor deadzone? On land or underwater?

1. You're under water. Player and camera movement is meant/designed to be slow and soothing. It's a diving sim. Did he expect mouse-like turning speed (Aquanox) or faster flashlight controls? (Silent Hill Wii)
2. There's a shortcut menu on land (press +). You can go anywhere with the press of a button. Also, everything in view while walking around is clickable.
3. You can ride and steer dolphins for extra fast swimming.

They're simply not used to pointer controls.

he continues
Which brings me to the game's main flaw – the graphics just aren't good enough for a truly immersive experience. They're pretty but hardly earth shattering, with the game's engine showing both its age and the Wii's limitations,
He probably played it on a 40" LCD at 1m distance.

particularly when compared with the game's closest relative, the thoroughly land-related PS3 animal photographing simulator, Afrika.
My goodness. Afrika? Talk about hardly earth shattering. One of the least impressive underwhelming games the PS3 has to offer.

Both Afrika and Aquanaut's Holiday look like shit, all things considered. Endless Ocean 2 looks, runs and controls better than both of those games.

Unless you have a lust for a Sisyphean fish-labeling task, this game should be left to quietly sink down to Davy Jones's locker.
Fish labeling task? Did he play the game?

He replied to someone in the comments:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technolog...mmentKey:c980350b-8df9-4163-ab36-c26c79eb1be7
Not sure we're going to agree on this one - but I disagree that I didn't appreciate the game on its own merits. When I first got my hands on it, I was aware that the game was going to involve bobbing around oceans staring at fish - and again, I must stress, I do really love fish - and I settled myself down accordingly. I drank some herbal tea, had my feet up on the sofa. I was all ready for an immersive and tranquil time.

But that's not what I experienced. I experienced a slow and awkward control system and a game caught between the twin stools of a 'quest' narrative and the idea of just wandering around trying to label as many fish as you can (which was not a problem with the first game).

I stand by my review, although with hindsight I accept 1 star may have been a bit harsh. My official score, worked out using complicated formulae and pie charts and stuff, was actually 1 1/2 stars, if that helps.

Comments are now closed for this entry.
Ah, he's a joke character.

"Agree - disagree"... translation: I "beat" the game as fast as possible; I don't know how or when to use certain functions in the game; I personally believe; In my opinion; I don't like facts; My gut tells me I'm right.

Why would he "wander around" trying to "label as many fish as he can", if all he wants to do is stare at them? To unlock new areas? That would actually be an argument, but you don't even need to do that. BTW, the game is not about staring at fish.

1 out of 5? Really? Again, it must suck to review games for a living.

Can't wait till the game gets here - bloody Ebay!!

Reviews about control schemes like that are just plain stupid. Reviewers in general are morans and we, the gaming populace know better. That said, I just finished my PADI training, and there's definitely a huge opportunity with the Wii to make a true Scuba simulator with implementing regulator and BCD control, etc

kizmah

WOW! Just back from my dive in the
depths of Gahhab Region. Cool search for the sub and wow at the fight between sperm whale and the giant squid. Got some great photos of that.

gamingeek

That Guardian writer seems like a knob.

More pics from my dives.

http://thevgpress.com/forumtopics/e...s-page-21_318_23.html&perPage=20#comment59248

r4e0604.jpg

Lenardo

Banned
MY 5 yr old kids love it-though its too scary with the sharks for their delight, they love swimming around, just have to have them use less angle for the wiimote for turning, my 8yr old loves it. especially the dolphin training.

i have not had a chance to play yet, but really like the premise (and i have helped the 5yr olds so i know the first ~30 minutes of the game down pat)

MYE

gamingeek said:
G4 Review Endless Ocean Blue World

http://g4tv.com/games/wii/62082/Endless-Ocean-2-Blue-World/review/

Endless Ocean: Blue World offers an intriguing premise that doesn't live up to its potential. Poor writing, painful music, and several design choices constantly interrupt the core gameplay; however, scavenging for treasure in the deep and observing its sea life remains curiously compelling.

3 out of 5

Wow this review sucks.

:lol G4TV

What a horrible site

Chairhome

Man, now I want this game. I picked up the first one, but didn't get too into it cause of time restraints... I'm assuming the 2nd one does almost everything better? And are they still allowing the use of your own music for dives?

Really interested since Best Buy has a deal for extra RZ points with purchase... and I'm wondering if the visuals will interest my 2 year old daughter.

gamingeek

MYE said:
:lol G4TV

What a horrible site

To quote their review:

"Along the way, they find themselves roped into solving the age-old mystery of the "Song of Dragons.” Laughable dialogue, lackluster plot twists, and preachy messages hobble any potential this may have had as a narrative-driven underwater archaeological adventure. Worse is that the game is unusually talky, detracting from its main appeal which is diving."

""Don't Hold Your Breath."

It's a shame then that Blue World is constantly interrupting the flow (no pun intended) with cutscenes, text bubbles, menus, and loading screens. Much of Blue World is needlessly complicated. For example, some side-quests involve salvage missions in which you must scan the seafloor for treasure, which sounds simple enough. But to get your treasure appraised, you have to exit the level, go through yet another loading screen to reach the main hub, use your radio to call your mobile shopkeep, then have her appraise said loot to see if it contains your bounty. If that wasn't roundabout enough, it's a wonder why the designers felt the need to limit the player's time with a depleting air gauge. Striving for realism is one thing, but then how does one magically warp back to their boat and still not get the bends?

While the underwater graphics are quite nice with detailed character models, textures, and animations, the ones above sea level leave something to be desired. Character models have looked better on Dreamcast, and their lip movements resemble automatons on an amusement park ride. There's no voice-acting or mumble-speak, which renders the characters even more robotic. It’s a very archaic approach to presentation.

It bears mention that the soundtrack is terrible. It’s filled with obtrusive hippie chanting splayed over tunes that wouldn't sound out of place in a mediocre PSone-era JRPG. The sound effects when you discover items are irritating as well; they completely ruin the serene mood that the rest of Blue World strives so hard to achieve."

kizmah

After 22 hours I have reached the end of the game. Or the story portion of it anyway. And I gotta say that Arika did a tremendous job of taking an already great game and perfecting every part of it and at the same time injecting some excitement and genuine sense of adventure into the storyline. The last two hours in particular were mignificent.

Even after the credits have rolled I feel that there are many more hours of gameplay left. Endless Ocean 2 is without a doubt one of the best titles on Wii.

Bizzyb

Banned
Hey guys, been playing for a While and REALLY like the added content they gave to the game, but just one quick question; did they take out the ability to pet your dolphin, fish etc?

gamingeek

hamzik said:
After 22 hours I have reached the end of the game. Or the story portion of it anyway. And I gotta say that Arika did a tremendous job of taking an already great game and perfecting every part of it and at the same time injecting some excitement and genuine sense of adventure into the storyline. The last two hours in particular were mignificent.

Even after the credits have rolled I feel that there are many more hours of gameplay left. Endless Ocean 2 is without a doubt one of the best titles on Wii.

If you do all the quests and treasure hunts there's at least 45 hrs of content there.

Bizzy, you can pet animals, just select food from the menu and shake the remote instead of pressing A.

The Hermit

hamzik said:

I can guarante to you that's not the end of the game yet no even storywise... you have to
re-open that cave
besides doing the tons of sidequests.

How awesome is that?!

Bizzyb said:
Hey guys, been playing for a While and REALLY like the added content they gave to the game, but just one quick question; did they take out the ability to pet your dolphin, fish etc?

Select the feed option and you hand will show up. Shake the wiimote and voilá! :D

kizmah

Baiano19 said:
I can guarante to you that's not the end of the game yet no even storywise... you have to
re-open that cave
besides doing the tons of sidequests.

How awesome is that?!

Really awesome! :D
But I just can't see how I'm gonna get 1 million to re-open the cave. Is there some other way of collecting money that I don't know of? Cause right now all I have is like 70 000.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
hamzik said:
Is there some other way of collecting money that I don't know of? Cause right now all I have is like 70 000.

Lots of ways - you get a cut from aquarium visitors, royalties on selling completed maps, finders fees for treasures on commission, full treasure value for those you find on your own (less valuation fees), guided dive fees, photography commissions - and probably a few more that have escaped my mind at the moment.

It is still a humungous amount of work - but jolly good fun if you spread yourself around a bit.

kizmah

phisheep said:
Lots of ways - you get a cut from aquarium visitors, royalties on selling completed maps, finders fees for treasures on commission, full treasure value for those you find on your own (less valuation fees), guided dive fees, photography commissions - and probably a few more that have escaped my mind at the moment.

I knew all these, except for the aquarium. Totally forgot about that one. Well, no other option than to roll up my sleeves and dig in.

Insaniac

can i get some opinions from people before i make the dive <rofl>

Firstly i hear that best buy has it + wiispeak for 30 bucks so I wanna get it so my cousin and I will have wiispeak for MH3

Anyways, how is the online? Is it essentially the full game or gimped?

Also how is the game overall compared to Endless Ocean 1 (which I owned) even more ocean to explore, and even more cool ruins to discover (Pirate ships?!?!)?

gamingeek

Insaniac said:
can i get some opinions from people before i make the dive <rofl>

Firstly i hear that best buy has it + wiispeak for 30 bucks so I wanna get it so my cousin and I will have wiispeak for MH3

Anyways, how is the online? Is it essentially the full game or gimped?

Also how is the game overall compared to Endless Ocean 1 (which I owned) even more ocean to explore, and even more cool ruins to discover (Pirate ships?!?!)?

You cant play the story mode online. Game has more ocean to explore, no pirate ships this time, but yeah ruins. I would say the first game has better locations overall but the second game has huge improvements in general, including the 10 hr story mode.

Assemble!

The first 3 hours were painful as all I wanted to do was dive and explore, but instead it was a barrage of JRPG/sappy storyline. Now that I'm past the intro bit, it has emerged as clearly superior to the first game, and there are more interesting side-quest options that open up very early, not to mention a much deeper story.
The key to this type of game is the motivation to play after the main storyline is up, which was what the first game lacked.

Mekere

There is way too much to do, I must be at 75 hours in the game now, and I haven't completed anything >_>
Still, I befriended 10 out of 11 dolphin, got 102 titles but still not have enough money to finish the last chapter. Despite all the time spent in game I still discover new cut-scenes and dialogues and I feel like it will happen for a while.

Yeah, I love this game ^^

Mekere

This one is really different and if you loved the first one you will be really frustrated for the first few hours and its limited diving, I know I was >_> But it open up really fast and there is so much to do that you never get bored, so.. go for it!

Anyway, how about a picture contest? We pick a fish or a location, determine a date limit and there we go, let the best photographer win \o/

Something like: Picture of a Manta ray before Sunday.

How about it?

Mekere said:
How about a picture contest? We pick a fish or a location, determine a date limit and there we go, let the best photographer win \o/

Something like: Picture of a Manta ray before Sunday.

How about it?
I approve this idea, but we need rankings and someone to decide the constests. I vote for gamingeek. :D

Why not start it already? Will post my picture tommorow.

The Hermit

85 hours later... and I finally reopened the Cave of Gods! :D

Besides Diablo II this is the most I've ever invested in a game...

The Hermit

Finally found all fishes, savages and coins. The super-legendary creatures are awesome!
2 of them actually :/

Besides some stupidly annoying requirements like practice till level 3 with all dolphins and swim 1000km ( After more than 85hrs, I swan about 150km...) theres nothing elso to do.

Fantastic game, can't wait for EO 3
D
:D

Teddman

If I've never played the original, would you recommend skipping directly to the sequel? Does this game pretty much make the first one irrelevant or redundant, or do they cover different, er, ground?

Top Bottom