• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Endless Ocean 2 thread: A humpback whale is about to ram us!

gamingeek

More pics from my latest dive.

There are a couple of pics of a mural which some sensitive types may want to see first hand themselves in game first. It's not really a spoiler though. I had to post it because the detail on the mural is amazing.

http://thevgpress.com/forumtopics/e...s-page-13_318_19.html&perPage=20#comment56870

r4e0561.jpg

Dang, I'm at 24 hrs already and barely scratched the surface. I've found there are secondary events, for instance when you dive a location again you get more events and cutscenes.

The jukebox is a POS BTW. Anytime there is some bit of dialogue or mini-cutscene, the music stops and wont return.

kizmah

I visited some great white-infested waters today.
UGklrklRK.jpg

My customer was blissfully oblivious to the grave danger he was in.
yjOKSdtsk.jpg

JADS

gamingeek said:
More pics from my latest dive.

There are a couple of pics of a mural which some sensitive types may want to see first hand themselves in game first. It's not really a spoiler though. I had to post it because the detail on the mural is amazing.

http://thevgpress.com/forumtopics/e...s-page-13_318_19.html&perPage=20#comment56870

r4e0561.jpg

Dang, I'm at 24 hrs already and barely scratched the surface. I've found there are secondary events, for instance when you dive a location again you get more events and cutscenes.

The jukebox is a POS BTW. Anytime there is some bit of dialogue or mini-cutscene, the music stops and wont return.

Indeed, I am quite surprised how well some of the murals/statues look.
http://f.imagehost.org/view/0128/Dolphin_2010-02-11_13-40-43-83 Might contain spoilers for some of you.

zigg

hamzik said:
My customer was blissfully oblivious to the grave danger he was in.

:lol That's great.

I started in on the U.S. version last night for some preview coverage we're working on at N-Sider. I took a number of lackluster shots :D but I love this one:

11skwpf.jpg

gamingeek

Zigg what fish is that?

JADS, nice pic, there's so much attention to detail. I wish that place had more than one large chamber though.

JADS

gamingeek said:
Zigg what fish is that?

JADS, nice pic, there's so much attention to detail. I wish that place had more than one large chamber though.

EO2 seems to be one of those games that works well in HD because it sometimes has some nice texture work going on. Still 100.000 to go, collecting a mill is getting tedious :lol

Edit: I wonder if this still works, the salvageable stuff can be so random from time to time :lol

Agnates

Banned
Borrowed it from my friend "for a while" and ended up playing it almost nonstop and finishing the story in 13 hours. Tons of stuff left to do, buying it soon, it's a keeper :D

Some fish don't have their bodies animated and just flap in zig zag when they move. Kind of ruins the atmosphere but thankfully they're very rare in a couple of locations only (like those you see in a big school when you first dive in the Aegean).

The story was nothing special for the most part and at times I disliked how fantasy it is into such a game but it mostly did make me keep going forward, that's why I finished it first I guess. Lol @
GG's sob story
near the end, I totally didn't see that coming :lol

They should never have put that
"following" the dolphin by boat
part in though, among a couple of other clunky instances (the
river
area wasn't the best it could be either). But overall it's a bigger, better, more compelling and more beautiful game than the first for sure. I love it. I hope it sells decently (even if not as much as the first) and Arika gets to make more. Maybe with a bigger budget so they can redo the engine and stuff to be better.

All the above water stuff are so clunky and disconnected, like the mechanical motion of the jet skis on water, etc. They should improve the fish movement patterns as well, and devote time in modeling better the few species that aren't so good currently. And those "puzzles" where you just select a response basically could instead be done similar to Another Code R with motion stuff and proper graphical representation.

The seascapes should be more complex too. There should be holes and caves and rock formations and stuff more often, not just in set pieces. Sealife should be found in more natural locations. I want octopus and crabs and such (and some of the bigger fish species also actually) to be hiding in holes and under rock formations so I have to go real close and under to find them. Most species just float mid-depth waiting for you. Stuff like that would make discovery cooler. But I want more anyway :D

You shouldn't play games in emus for the proper experience, the appearance of that model is cleaner than on Wii but it seems all wrong and not shaded like it's in the game. Hopefully the sea stuff are better and didn't hinder your experience but yeah, you never know... Probably had more frame rate issues too. Sit further from the TV for low res.

JADS

Agnates said:
You shouldn't play games in emus for the proper experience, the appearance of that model is cleaner than on Wii but it seems all wrong and not shaded like it's in the game. Hopefully the sea stuff are better and didn't hinder your experience but yeah, you never know... Probably had more frame rate issues too. Sit further from the TV for low res.

Solid 30 FPS in 1080P with 16AA and 16AF. Sorry, I'am willing to take a little graphical glitch for granted here and there with those kind of settings ;) (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19630234&postcount=2179 and http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19660925&postcount=2186 for some examples). Anyways, I encountered a certain creature during salvaging today. Anyone seen the
Sea Serpent
yet?. The 13 year old in me wants a game with only those type of creatures running on the EO2 engine :lol

Tab0203

gamingeek said:
Excellent Gifs Tab, I loved your off screen pics of the first game a couple of years back. :)
Thanks!

Baiano19 said:
sooo are you enjoying it? :D
:D

JADS said:
Solid 30 FPS in 1080P with 16AA and 16AF. Sorry, I'am willing to take a little graphical glitch for granted here and there with those kind of settings ;) (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19630234&postcount=2179 and http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19660925&postcount=2186 for some examples).
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15271909&postcount=32
nincompoop said:
I guess this means the Wii is the only current gen console whose games can all be rendered in HD resolutions.
True HD with 16AA/AF. This generation is hilarious.

Endless Ocean 2 really needs a bullshot feature similar to most PS360 games. :p (Halo 3, GT5 etc) You'd think it was the other way around...

It looks so much better in real life.

This is closer to what it looks like in person/motion (decent 16:9 SD CRT) at 3m distance. Try to ignore the moire effect, distorted black level, brightness etc.

167nx8o.gif

http://i50.tinypic.com/2be4u8.jpg

2rgf1iv.jpg

986mmu.jpg

2ltmxvo.jpg

j7faeb.jpg

s64tva.jpg

2gv80mt.jpg

rw8adj.gif

34o972v.jpg

300d3yv.jpg

240yc09.jpg

2z73m9d.jpg

2094pya.jpg

210zo8j.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/q102.gif

16k9q88.gif

I love this game.

Oh man I am so hyped for this, the original is probably my most played Wii game behind NSMB/Galaxy. Those screenshots are beautiful, I love the depth of field in this game.

zigg

JADS said:
Solid 30 FPS in 1080P with 16AA and 16AF. Sorry, I'am willing to take a little graphical glitch for granted here and there with those kind of settings ;)

I don't like my jaggies either, but that shot you posted of Nancy looks like crap to me. All flat and ugly. And Nancy doesn't need any help looking like crap. :lol And then there's the eye-twisting variation in resolution of the interface elements..

I'm not going rooting through your other shots yet--I'm not quite done with the main SP quest yet--but I see these emulation shots a lot around here and my first thought is almost always that hey, that one element right there looks pretty cool, but given the inconsistent look of the rest, I would never be able to play a game like that.

I don't mean to sound hostile, I'm sorry if I do... really, whatever works for you is just fine... but I am not convinced that for me, playing that way is better than playing on a set like my Panasonic plasma that can do SD content justice. When EO4 or whatever is on the next HD Nintendo console, made for it form the ground up, then I'll happily take the extra res.

JADS

zigg said:
I don't like my jaggies either, but that shot you posted of Nancy looks like crap to me. All flat and ugly. And Nancy doesn't need any help looking like crap. :lol And then there's the eye-twisting variation in resolution of the interface elements..

I'm not going rooting through your other shots yet--I'm not quite done with the main SP quest yet--but I see these emulation shots a lot around here and my first thought is almost always that hey, that one element right there looks pretty cool, but given the inconsistent look of the rest, I would never be able to play a game like that.

I don't mean to sound hostile, I'm sorry if I do... really, whatever works for you is just fine... but I am not convinced that for me, playing that way is better than playing on a set like my Panasonic plasma that can do SD content justice. When EO4 or whatever is on the next HD Nintendo console, made for it form the ground up, then I'll happily take the extra res.

Oh no, you didn't sound hostile at all. If I had a TV that would be able to display a great image such as your plasma, I would have been playing the game on my TV with the comfy couch. It's just that I have a typical run of the mill Samsung 1080P set with a horrible horrible scaler. Ofcourse the incositensies are a bit offsetting (I haven't posted them, but the screens above water don't look that great) and they do bother me, but it's either that or insane crappy image quality.

Mekere

I have a question: what is the use of the "others" items you can buy? Just useless collectible or may be useful stuff?

Agnates

Banned
Oceane has a better character model than your chick does (if you make a female character). Especially when you see her showering in a swimsuit. Your character that is, not Oceane, there's no pedovoyeur stuff in the game (she's what, 15 years old or something). But yeah it's a better made model, weird that not all characters use the same base really. At least it's not noticable underwater where most of the game is, but yeah, weird.

gamingeek

Mekere said:
I have a question: what is the use of the "others" items you can buy? Just useless collectible or may be useful stuff?

I got this plastic man toy and it appears you can place it in the reef. I guess its all reef based.

JADS

Finally got the
Cavern of the Gods
unlocked again. Apparently it only costs
Half a mill
, I am not sure if that really is the costs because the cutscene was triggered once I went over the mark. If it is, I will yell at Dolphin for strangely not working correctly. God, it felt like a job collecting all the cash :lol

gamingeek

JADS said:
Finally got the
Temple of the Gods
unlocked again. Apparently it only costs
Half a mill
, I am not sure if that really is the costs because the cutscene was triggered once I went over the mark. If it is, I will yell at Dolphin for strangely not working correctly. God, it felt like a job collecting all the cash :lol

I get it not.

Jean Eric said it would cost a mill. You said before you were like at 800k? And it was getting to be a chore?

So how did it unlock at half a mill?

JADS

gamingeek said:
I get it not.

Jean Eric said it would cost a mill. You said before you were like at 800k? And it was getting to be a chore?

So how did it unlock at half a mill?

I meant 1.000.000 mark. Once you hit 1.000.000 Jean Eric said that the excavation would only cost
. So I now have
just sitting there :lol

gamingeek

JADS said:
I meant 1.000.000 mark. Once you hit 1.000.000 Jean Eric said that the excavation would only cost
. So I now have
just sitting there :lol

Son of a....

That shifty bugger. Well, at least you can afford everything in the game now. Please search for the underwater MP3. If it exists.

Please!

jgkspsx

I'm buying this, of course, but my custom soundtracks and those of other GAFfers were what made the first game one of my favorites of all time. I'm glad to hear that you guys think the music is better than the original's Enya envy, but I'd rather be diving with Eno and Budd, you know?

Nintendo's unwillingness to pay peanuts for MP3 decoder licenses speaks well to their business sense and very poorly of their common decency.

Mekere

*cringe* How nice, a 5 litres aquarium full of goldfish, what a good idea to show that in an advertisment... >_>

Anyway, I still don't know the use of some items, usually it's jewellery, roses and useless stuff like that. I tried going into my private reef and see if I can put them somewhere but no luck. They are still in my inventory with a "Wrapped Present" icon. I tried to offer them to dolphins (they don't want to be my parters :( ), put it on my island but no luck.

Maybe I should try offer them to the totem >_>

gamingeek

Well, you know the area south of south canyon in ciceros straight?

Where you discover the
Sea serpent? I agreed with Oceane not to reveal it and on the logbook its not logged as cleared. Do I have to go back and disagree and reveal its existence?

Some of my pics:

r4e_0002.jpg

r4e_0057.jpg

r4e_0062.jpg

R4E_0228.jpg

R4E_0227.jpg

R4E_0226.jpg

R4E_0225.jpg

Spent just under 50 hours with it for review, then loaned the game to my sister-in-law - who played the first for around 80-odd hours - and I'm missing it already. Want to get back and nab all the treasure and do all the side-missions. It's oddly addictive.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The graphical boost from the original to this, when you finally see it on your TV, is rather staggering. Its a total overhaul.

JADS

gamingeek said:

Where you discover the
Sea serpent? I agreed with Oceane not to reveal it and on the logbook its not logged as cleared. Do I have to go back and disagree and reveal its existence?

I tried, haven't seen it after that scene :(
Thanks god I had FRAPS running. I must say the attention to detail on the model is nice, even in HD Don't click this link unless you have seen the scene in the South Canyon in Ciceros Straight

gamingeek

I was wondering if anyone was annoyed at the use of legendary i.e made up creatures in this game?

I like it.

I wouldn't mind a completely fantasy game next time, with mermaids and stuff.

Mekere

I'm not annoyed because legendary creatures comes along with awesome cutscene. But maybe there's a little too much of them. Now I expect to find some in every nook and cranny :/

Agnates

Banned
They're just unique versions of normal animals for the most part anyway, nothin wrong with that. Similar might as well exist for all you know (not certain ones, obviously) :lol

gamingeek

Agnates said:
They're just unique versions of normal animals for the most part anyway, nothin wrong with that. Similar might as well exist for all you know (not certain ones, obviously) :lol

These legends are just albinos. :lol

Imagine if human albinos were called Legendary Humans. :D

kizmah

Great pics Hero of Canton. After a few days break I turned on the game earlier, meant to play it for about 20 minutes, ended up playing hour and a half. So addicting and so much to do.

Mekere

gamingeek said:

Where you discover the

That's also what I did (Ie agreeing with Océane) and after verifications:
I have the sea serpent in my encyclopaedia and the title miracle maker of course. So I think you may find it again in certain circumstances probably.

gamingeek

Mekere said:
That's also what I did (Ie agreeing with Océane) and after verifications:
I have the sea serpent in my encyclopaedia and the title miracle maker of course. So I think you may find it again in certain circumstances probably.

I was just wondering why it didn't get the cleared stamp. Usually if there is more to do it hints at it. Instead I get the same hint that I've already completed. I wonder what happens if I go back there with Oceane?

zigg

EatChildren said:
The graphical boost from the original to this, when you finally see it on your TV, is rather staggering. Its a total overhaul.

I like the way some areas look, but then the regions with the floating ice just look really videogamey.

The tropical oceans do really look quite good though.

Top Bottom