• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Endless Ocean 2 thread: A humpback whale is about to ram us!

STG

How does the reef even work?
I bought stuff from nancy but I have no idea what todo with it, not even a word in the manual

and where is the third location from that stupid blue bird? I guess it's somewhere at the south pole but I can't find hime

Mekere

You just have to go at the reef and hit the 1 button to place stuff on the blues circles that will appear. Coral can be only put on the rock, kelp on the sand.

And no idea for your question, I haven't found it either :/

But my theory is that the bird may appear only in a particular moment: ie "When the ice is dancing" ie: when the weather is bad. I will try it tonight

STG

oh god...
I have never been on the reef! I was never swimming out of the map... I always was in the main map and looking for my reef :D

gamingeek

jesusraz said:
Thanks for linking to my review :) Seems that I'm the only one scoring it so high (other than Famitsu). I really hope it enters the UK chart pretty high up the Wii Top 40 on tomorrow's Chart-Track UK update. Have people seen many TV ads for it?

EDIT: Here's the original version by Celtic Woman, for those that like it so much!

It's a great review thanks.

I love that song. I like the music in the sequel but they don't play enough of it like in the first game.

gamingeek

STG said:
oh god...
I have never been on the reef! I was never swimming out of the map... I always was in the main map and looking for my reef :D

It's in Gatama Atoll on the far right hand side, about the middle vertically.

The grandpa dude tells you when and where to go once you're ready.

Vooks said:
My Endless Ocean 2 review is now up too. Gave it a 8.5/10, had a ton of fun with it.

Totally forgot to mention the private reef! So much stuff in this game to do and collection it skipped my mind!

The little fish and the crayfish in the hole as a couple that work together is the cutest thing in the game.

Put in the first post, thanks.

zigg

Are there more locations than there were in EO? Fish are nice and all, but what I loved most was swimming through a new area that wasn't just more ocean floor.

Mekere

You can dive in several locations:
- atoll
- Mediterranean sea
- Arctic
- Antarctic
- Amazonia
- Red sea

So yeah, you have a lot of places to visit :D

Damn. I so wish I could play this now.

What Celtic Woman songs are on here? I don't suppose they have She Mov'd Thro' The Fair on here? It's my favorite Celtic Woman performance - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCpajl7UH3w&feature=related

also, the game finally showed up in my amazon gold box for an extra 5% off a week of so ago so I pre-ordered it. Hopefully the price will drop a bit before release, though if not, an extra Wii speak is nice, I guess.

gamingeek

Mockingbird said:
Damn. I so wish I could play this now.

What Celtic Woman songs are on here? I don't suppose they have She Mov'd Thro' The Fair on here? It's my favorite Celtic Woman performance - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCpajl7UH3w&feature=related

also, the game finally showed up in my amazon gold box for an extra 5% off a week of so ago so I pre-ordered it. Hopefully the price will drop a bit before release, though if not, an extra Wii speak is nice, I guess.

Haven't heard that track yet.

gamingeek

Reknoc said:
Thanks! I was hoping I'd be able to find that Dulaman track from the game but I had no idea what it was called.

Urgh trying to blitz through the story mode so I can better focus on the side stuff but there's always something to do. Apparently my Aquarium is now open to the public and I have some new fish to fill the empty tiny tanks I have.

I find myself torn between doing the story and doing all the other stuff. Last night I wanted to chill and explore the coast of egypt but after 5 minutes I couldn't resist getting back to the story.

Agnates

Banned
How can you make the Wii itself format an SDHC? Should it be formatted it in a different file system on a PC, then insert it in the Wii? Will it have a format option then? Because we can't find any format option in the Wii settings, aside from an internal memory format. Just in case this will make it work for photo saving in these games...

16GB Transcend SDHC...

zigg

Agnates said:
How can you make the Wii itself format an SDHC? Should it be formatted it in a different file system on a PC, then insert it in the Wii? Will it have a format option then? Because we can't find any format option in the Wii settings, aside from an internal memory format. Just in case this will make it work for photo saving in these games...

I don't think you can format a card in the Wii. But if you want to rule out formatting issues, try this:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/download/sd_formatter.html

Reknoc

gamingeek said:
I find myself torn between doing the story and doing all the other stuff. Last night I wanted to chill and explore the coast of egypt but after 5 minutes I couldn't resist getting back to the story.

I always find my self restraining to not complete the map since I want the story done and also so I know where I haven't been to find fish.

Not seen it mentioned but the credits in the manual has the tracklist:

Ave Maria
Carrickfergus
Dulaman
Isle of Inisfree
Nella Fantasia
One World
The Last Rose of Summer
The Prayer
The Soft Goodbye

Apparently they also did Beyond the Sea which would seem like an obvious choice for this game but oh well.

Agnates

Banned
I guess I figured out my friend's issue. He's using the USB Loader on an NTFS drive, which requires the use of hermes 222/223 IOS instead of that other one. With those, SDHC compatibility seems to break for some reason. They should be fine for me under FAT32.

Edit: oops, FAT32 drive usage also requires hermes... Damn... Maybe I should revert to a WBFS drive...

Edit 2: well, he's reverted to WBFS using the loader with ios 249 but that still didn't fix it. Wtf...

gamingeek

Reknoc said:
I always find my self restraining to not complete the map since I want the story done and also so I know where I haven't been to find fish.

Not seen it mentioned but the credits in the manual has the tracklist:

Ave Maria
Carrickfergus
Dulaman
Isle of Inisfree
Nella Fantasia
One World
The Last Rose of Summer
The Prayer
The Soft Goodbye

Apparently they also did Beyond the Sea which would seem like an obvious choice for this game but oh well.

I was just listening to nella fantasia on youtube :D

Thanks for the links.

jrricky

Banned

jesusraz

selig said:
i guess we should be happy that they´re reviewing the game at all *remembers how certain websites refused to give EO1 a score because of not being a game*
I'd forgotten about that - what a cop out! Good to see it entering the UK Wii Top 40 at No.11. Bodes well for its second week performance.

Reknoc

God Guy what is your problem? I just want to get through this tunnel but your stupid fat ass is in the goddamn way. Why you gotta do this to a guy? Why do I gotta get my homies on you.

Ok so I was told to get some
Sperm Whale
to follow me but I wasn't really paying attention to whatever the... person was saying (game needs nametags) because there was
A GIANT GODDAMN SQUID
UP IN MY FACE and now I don't know where to go.

kizmah

GCrVjyVKz.jpg
bTxQYkuhF.jpg

JdJIEEbDz.jpg
sJxiXfjiu.jpg

The Hermit

^^ @ reknoc You must use spoilers to that quote, before I go to you house and kill you! :mad:

Anyway, I just had an OMG moment ( the first of many like Reknoc just told us) in Gatama Atoll:
it was a cutscene, that showed many humpback whales in the atoll, but later it showed another cutscene with them hunting!! They showed some clever tricks they do in order to catch fish, so tricky, that I had to check wikipedia because it sounded so far fetched... Whales are awesome!
:lol :lol

JADS

Baiano19 said:
^^ @ reknoc You must use spoilers to that quote, before I go to you house and kill you! :mad:

Anyway, I just had an OMG moment ( the first of many like Reknoc just told us) in Gatama Atoll:
it was a cutscene, that showed many humpback whales in the atoll, but later it showed another cutscene with them hunting!! They showed some clever tricks they do in order to catch fish, so tricky, that I had to check wikipedia because it sounded so far fetched... Whales are awesome!

You will like a certain scene later in the game. I sad infront of my computer saying no way.
A certain whale species hunting a certain large creature in the dark? Awesome

Reknoc

Baiano19 said:

Sorry about that. Fixed.

I really like how each dive partner has their own thing they can do to help you in the certain sidestuff like salvage and fish finding. Except Oceane.

The Hermit

JADS said:
You will like a certain scene later in the game. I sad infront of my computer saying no way.
A certain whale species hunting a certain large creature in the dark? Awesome

I was kinda already spoiled... thanks anyway. >_>

Mekere

Reknoc said:
Sorry about that. Fixed.

I really like how each dive partner has their own thing they can do to help you in the certain sidestuff like salvage and fish finding. Except Oceane.

Oceane allows you to find more little animals, so she is definitly useful :)

gamingeek

Nice turtle pic Hamzik. Its a fairly low res textured model yet because of the way your captured it, it looks great.

I like diving with Hayako as its a great touch to be able to re-watch cutscenes of the events you've seen before.

Anyhow the abyss section was lame compared to the first game. I haven't checked out the other crevasse yet.

And Blue cliff in Gatama atoll? Not an abyss section? :(

STG

this game is so awesome

I am now ~33 hours in and I feel I have accomplished nothing at all :D

there is soooooooo much to do, it's crazy

Wii GOTY confirmed, nothing this year can ever top this game (on the Wii)

AND THAT'S A FACT!

gamingeek

STG said:
this game is so awesome

I am now ~33 hours in and I feel I have accomplished nothing at all :D

there is soooooooo much to do, it's crazy

Wii GOTY confirmed, nothing this year can ever top this game (on the Wii)

AND THAT'S A FACT!

Absolutely. :D

Beat the story mode, the story is about 10 hrs long.

Once that's done you can get down to the real game and play it like EO1.

You unlock the jukebox so you can pick your tune.

There is a f***ton of stuff to do, side quests, treasure to hunt out, an actual incentive to keep gathering, species to find, stories to hear, a coral reef to build, an aquarium to populate. This game has so much stuff.

The last area of the game is aweeeesome. It's almost like a dungeon, it locks you in some rooms with enemies, you have to find some treasure and ways to unlock doors.

It has an Indiana Jones like moment at the end.

The music and end sequence Oh yeah, we are a team damnit!

Now I understand what they mean when they say the game is a completionists dream, everything is logged, there are even achievements if you want to do that.

For those of you who played the first game and think you don't need more, note that this game is very different to the first. It is NOT the same experience.

The subtitle for the first game is Dive, Discover, Dream.

The subtitle for the second is Adventures of the Deep.

The first you dived, discovered new areas, had a dream like atmosphere as you stared in awe at some wonderful sites. The second only kicks into that mode once you've completed the story mode (which is only like a 3rd or even a quarter of the availible gameplay here).

In EO2 you have adventures, its very rare to be without an objective. You have to negotiate light underwater temples, get locked in chambers and fight off sea monsters, you salvage for treasure too which is almost as addictive as the drug dealing mini-game in Chinatown wars.

You are always being pushed on by the story and characters.

But then you can also do all the stuff from the first game at your leisure.

Objectively you can say that in every areas EO2 is improved over the first. The graphics engine is so much better, the on screen character model count has quadrupled for instance. There is far more meat to the game. The limited boat is now an island, you can now sell salvaged items etc.

If I go on emotion and instinct, I couldn't say one is better than the other because they offer different experiences. EO1 doesn't have the distractions, it has better access to music i.e being able to listen to the music you want (when) you want.

It's simplicity is part of its elegance and beauty. In the second game, rather than just floating about in a dreamy state, you are often compelled by addiction to break out the sonar and start digging for treasure.

This game is awesome and will give you not days, but weeks of gameplay. I think I will easily put in more playtime than the first game.

More pics from my latest dive here:

http://thevgpress.com/forumtopics/e...18_18.html&perPage=20&perPage=20#comment56644

r4e0552.jpg

gamingeek

selig said:
sprry if i missed it, but can now someone answer if there is a deep sea-area like the abyss from eo1?

A definite yes. Though IMO its not as good as the abyss EO1.

I will have to investigate more. There is one awesome moment thoug. :D

gamingeek

Dang, I just posted the Telegraph Endless Ocean 2 review.

verj8i.jpg

Which I assumed was a photo.

Until I realised that it's a scene I had witnessed and photographed myself at a different location.

r4e0528.jpg

Telegraph must have taken it at night, off screen.

gamingeek

Telegraph UK review

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...Adventures-of-the-Deep-video-game-review.html

"So glacially paced and compellingly peaceful that a quick five-minute go could easily turn into an hour or two of near-somnambulistic bliss, Endless Ocean was a rare moment of Zen calm amid the carnage of its peers. Its sequel, while similarly slow, has been taking a note or two from its more action-packed rivals – developer Arika has pulled off the rare trick of a follow-up that should appeal to existing fans while simultaneously offering a little more gaming meat to those who felt the first lacked more traditional nourishment."

gamingeek

r4e0538.jpg

r4e0539.jpg

Just like when you take real pics, sometimes the characters blink when you take them?

r4e0556.jpg

I've been trying to get wide angle shots to show how many fish they manage to cram on screen. For some reason the lighting effects don't seem to show up that were there when i took them.

r4e0555.jpg

r4e0554.jpg

If they manage to do a 3rd game before the Wii lifecycle ends I think it would be cool if they did some normal maps on rock surfaces and skin/scales.

gamingeek

I have to say that the jukebox is pissing me off.

There is no good access to the in game licenced tracks.

I can live without SD card MP3s but having to play in silence a lot is starting to grate.

You can only access the jukebox on nineball island. So for instance I set a track to play. Then I have to go through a load to go to a dive spot, then another load to load the actual location.

Then if there is a cutscene or minor event, the music track cuts out, the in game midi plays for the section and then instead of restarting the tune you were listening to, it just leaves you in silence and back to the in game track which triggers at certain moments.

There is nothing in the options to do anything about this.

I hope there is some underwater MP3 that nancy sells which fixes this.

If you do want to change a track you have to go back to the boat, go back to 9 ball island, then load the next area, then load the actual dive.

Grrrrrrrrrrr.

gamingeek said:
I can live without SD card MP3s but having to play in silence a lot is starting to grate.

Is there REALLY no SD card support? Seriously?

So much fucking fail its mind boggling.

I haven't read through the thread, but having my own music playing in the 1st one, however clunky it is, was a defining experience. I'm sure the in game music is good too but how do you make a sequel and move backwards.

So there is NO way to play custom music?*

*Still plan on buying anyway just a HUGE disappointment :(

kizmah

This game is truly awesome. 10 hours in and I haven't even gone to the Arctic yet. I have put the story on hold and spent the last couple of hours completely exploring Gatama Atoll, treasure hunting, doing special requests, guided tours and taking care of my private reef. I even found a
shipwrecked labrador
and now he is a member of the R&R team and got himself a little house on Nineball Island.

There is just so much to do in this game and every little quest is more compelling than it ever was in the first one. Arika has done o hell of a job of expanding on every aspect of the original and making a game that will surely last many hours beyond the story. I mean, if your breeze through the story in about 10 hours as most reviews suggest you will miss out on the real heart and meat of the game.

gamingeek

Lavpa Jasai said:
Is there REALLY no SD card support? Seriously?

So much fucking fail its mind boggling.

I haven't read through the thread, but having my own music playing in the 1st one, however clunky it is, was a defining experience. I'm sure the in game music is good too but how do you make a sequel and move backwards.

So there is NO way to play custom music?*

*Still plan on buying anyway just a HUGE disappointment :(

The way to play your own music is to turn the music volume to zero and then play a CD on your CD player in the background. I think it has to do with nintendo switching from MP3 to AAC and not wanting to pay MP3 licencing costs.

Look at what the media copies of the game comes with:
IMG_3634.jpg

Excellent Gifs Tab, I loved your off screen pics of the first game a couple of years back. :)

Hamzik, there is tons and tons to do. :D

zigg

Hey, I was wondering something... anyone done a co-op dive yet? Can you still take and save pictures? Was concerned because I read that fish discoveries don't save (which I think is the same as it was in the first, actually...)

Sammy Samusu said:
Do we know a north-america store that is selling the game? I can't wait until 22/02, no way. :'(

Good luck with that!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
God this game looks amazing. I really enjoyed the dreamy feel of the original, but it almost felt like they got lucky. Kinda threw together all these ideas into a diving simulator and bam; sold a ton and was well recieved.

Here it seems like they've actually fleshed out the game, added in missions, tracked all content, etc. Like they realised they had a great foundation working and it was time to explore what they could add to it.

One thing I will say is that this is exactly the kind of game that would be mind blowing in 3D.

Mekere said:
Yes and Yes. :)
And can you explore new species together and keep the information? That was the biggest flaw in EO1. You find a new fish in co-op, but back in singleplayer it was still unknown... :/

Top Bottom