• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Endless Ocean 2 thread: A humpback whale is about to ram us!

I had forgot when this game comes out and then saw it while looking at games on Amazon and my heart stopped :lol, then I saw it was a preorder and isn't coming out for about a month. Ah well, can't believe I forgot since it's my most anticipated game with a release date right now.

kizmah

Eurogamer gives the game 7/10

It's a genuinely peaceful and relaxing experience, with a wonderfully becalmed atmosphere, subdued beauty, and an earnest, innocent attitude - all of them rare properties in games. Even the MIDI muzak and folk warbling of the soundtrack strike the right note, and in this context, the repetitive and simple gameplay has a quietly hypnotic quality. Give it a break, and you'll give yourself one too.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/endless-ocean-2-adventures-of-the-deep-review

gamingeek

Are we all going to exchange friend codes here right?

Still need to know if this is online region locked like the first game.

kizmah

It's really great to hear that EO2 has a better story. That's one of the few things I really felt the first game was lacking.

Gino

I'm glad this is getting a sequel... It's coming in Q1 and I still feel like there are too many games. :(

I need more money.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Endless Ocean 2 is my most look froward to release of early 2010. I think that speaks volumes about how much I liked the first one considering how great the Early 2010 Wii line-up has and will be.

gamingeek

hamzik said:
According to the UK site it is.

It says something like, play with other people in Europe via wi fi.

Grrrrrrr.

Why not worldwide?

Day-aaaam Euro guys.

Check out the new Endless Ocean 2 video on the Nintendo channel.

Shiggy

gamingeek said:
It says something like, play with other people in Europe via wi fi.

Grrrrrrr.

Why not worldwide?

Day-aaaam Euro guys.

You never know with those Americans. They could pollute the ocean in the European version. Or take the Japanese as an example. They may kill all whales so you will not be able to take a photo of them. So wasn't it a wise decision of our European localisation team? ;)

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Just finished this today, even though the story is done seems to be a shit-ton of other stuff left.

Agnates

Banned
VOOK said:
Just finished this today, even though the story is done seems to be a shit-ton of other stuff left.
Is there? That review seemed to indicate it's much more linear than the first?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Agnates said:
Is there? That review seemed to indicate it's much more linear than the first?

The story is more linear for sure, but there is so many things to collect and explore outside of that and once it's finished there is another 'quest' to get working on. I did the story in about 10 hours (rushing it somewhat for review) so there is at least 12 hours in it without doing all the extra which I would say there about that again perhaps.

gamingeek

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/106/1065380p1.html

"Like a beautiful underwater Animal Crossing, 2007's Endless Ocean was pretty much the complete antithesis of the hectic, violent modern videogame. Gentle, relaxing, open-ended, it was the perfect stress reliever. A gorgeous and hugely atmospheric game that soothed away your cares by sending you out to explore the secrets of the deep blue sea at your leisure.

Two years on, developer Arika has delivered a sequel that not only improves on everything that people loved about the original, but delivers a much more structured and engaging experience right from the beginning. Although many players loved the pressure-free sandbox design of old, others failed to appreciate its charms precisely because of this lack of direction. With that in mind, it's perhaps no great surprise to see that Adventures of the Deep immediately goes a lot further in giving players a greater sense of purpose from the outset."

gamingeek

Right, I updated the first post with the reviews and new media, boxart, release dates, prices etc.

How do I change the thread title to make this the official thread?

gamingeek

VOOK said:
The story is more linear for sure, but there is so many things to collect and explore outside of that and once it's finished there is another 'quest' to get working on. I did the story in about 10 hours (rushing it somewhat for review) so there is at least 12 hours in it without doing all the extra which I would say there about that again perhaps.

How long did you guys play the first game? If you go into the Nintendo channel and click gameplay records you can see.

I played the first game for 57 hrs :D

selig

Banned
question:

Is there a deep sea-portion like the abyss in EO1? One of my favorite locations in the first game, so beautifully creepy-

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
gamingeek said:
How long did you guys play the first game? If you go into the Nintendo channel and click gameplay records you can see.

870 hours.

That is not a typo. 870.

Bentendo

gamingeek said:

That's a ton (more than I've spent in most games), but someone on GameFAQs claims to have played over 300 hours in the game. How this is humanly possible I'll never know! :lol

EDIT:

phisheep said:
870 hours

Wait... what... I... I... I just don't understand how that is possible... I mean, I just can't comprehend that.

selig

Banned
phisheep said:
870 hours.

That is not a typo. 870.

wat

I probably played the first game for about 20 hours...though it felt a lot longer...in a positive way, strangely.
870 hours....whao, I really want to know what you spent the time in game:lol

gamingeek

selig said:
question:

Is there a deep sea-portion like the abyss in EO1? One of my favorite locations in the first game, so beautifully creepy-

Not that I've seen, but I did hear ageeees ago that there was. No one has mentioned it since though.

WTH?

Phisheep, 870 hrs :lol

You have a whale fetish?

gamingeek

Mekere said:
870? Well, I feel less bad having playing it for about 100 hours :D

And IGN review mentions abyss I think?

I did a CTRL F search of the review and came up with this:

"With a glacial turning speed, and an often featureless environment to explore, it's very easy to become hopelessly disorientated when making even the simplest journey into the inky abyss."

Is he using the term in general to describe anything underwater? Or to describe an abyss level.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
selig said:
wat

I probably played the first game for about 20 hours...though it felt a lot longer...in a positive way, strangely.
870 hours....whao, I really want to know what you spent the time in game:lol

I suppose I ought to explain this, seems to be a bit of scepticism!

First of all, I'm not the fastest of gamers (Twilight Princess took about 120 hours) as I do like to wander around and soak up the detail.

First time through EO I ditched the plot as soon as I got the boat keys and went and explored the entire ocean on my own - not very efficiently and - since I had forgotten about bring up the map - I got lost a lot. Then, back on track, worked through to the end exploring extra nooks and crannies and finding things as I went.

At that point, I was still short rather a lot of creatures and treasures, so I went - as one does in these circumstances - to GameFAQs. But there was no FAQ. that's when it all got a bit too much, as I decided I'd write one myself.

That led to:
- 50 straight hours just collecting all the female diving suits and gear
- 17 playthroughs disentangling all the preconditions for triggering events
- total 400+ hours before getting the last treasure
- quite a lot of transcribing game text from the screen
- two nights leaving the game turned on to calibrate the day/night cycle
- lots of tracking creatures to find routes and so on
- multiple experiments in photography/guided dives to work out scoring conditions
- exploring all the loose ends of the in-game mythology
- carefully-scripted online encounters and experiments with the music mechanism
- cross-checking the translations in different languages - which uncovered a few interesting things

... and so on and so on ...

Of course, I couldn't do all that full-time, so for relaxation I'd just swim around my favourite areas of the game.

I'm not obsessed with the game, no - not at all.

Astonishingly, after all this, people still discover things in the game that I didn't know about!

EDIT:
heringer said:
So you kinda like the game, huh?

You might say that. Indeed, it is probably the obsessive attention to detail in the game itself that attracted me most.

Mind you, I did realise it was getting a teensy-tiny bit out of control when I found myself:
- noticing that the variant translations of the name of the green suit between English and Spanish indicated that parts of the translation had been relayed orally in English by a native Japanese speaker
- tracking down the locations of the in-game songs on collectors editions of New Zealand albums (I'm in the UK)

That is more-or-less when I stopped!

Mekere

I think it really is the abyss. After all the adjective "Inky" suits it well and the marine encyclopedy of the official website shows some picture of typically abyssal fishes.

So, I believe :D

heringer

phisheep said:

First of all, I'm not the fastest of gamers (Twilight Princess took about 120 hours) as I do like to wander around and soak up the detail.

First time through EO I ditched the plot as soon as I got the boat keys and went and explored the entire ocean on my own - not very efficiently and - since I had forgotten about bring up the map - I got lost a lot. Then, back on track, worked through to the end exploring extra nooks and crannies and finding things as I went.

At that point, I was still short rather a lot of creatures and treasures, so I went - as one does in these circumstances - to GameFAQs. But there was no FAQ. that's when it all got a bit too much, as I decided I'd write one myself.

That led to:
- 50 straight hours just collecting all the female diving suits and gear
- 17 playthroughs disentangling all the preconditions for triggering events
- total 400+ hours before getting the last treasure
- quite a lot of transcribing game text from the screen
- two nights leaving the game turned on to calibrate the day/night cycle
- lots of tracking creatures to find routes and so on
- multiple experiments in photography/guided dives to work out scoring conditions
- exploring all the loose ends of the in-game mythology
- carefully-scripted online encounters and experiments with the music mechanism
- cross-checking the translations in different languages - which uncovered a few interesting things

... and so on and so on ...

Of course, I couldn't do all that full-time, so for relaxation I'd just swim around my favourite areas of the game.

I'm not obsessed with the game, no - not at all.

Astonishingly, after all this, people still discover things in the game that I didn't know about!
So you kinda like the game, huh?

Haunted

phisheep said:

Ah, you did the maps on GameFAQs? Excellent stuff.

The Hermit

phisheep said:

Well hats off for you good sir... I actually used one of those faqs especially to find missing fishes that only showed on a particular season of the year.
So I can see someone spending that time in this game...

gamingeek

I never found the thing I need to 100% find the ghost ship. I've always manually searched and found it by poking my head above water and following the map.

What's the proper way? I need some compass right?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
gamingeek said:
I never found the thing I need to 100% find the ghost ship. I've always manually searched and found it by poking my head above water and following the map.

What's the proper way? I need some compass right?

The compass comes in four pieces (at M1, H1, J9, B8 on the map) - but really it isn't all that useful, as it only tells you the three possible squares for the pirate ship not where it is at a given time - so sticking your head out of the water is the easiest way by far.

gamingeek

phisheep said:
The compass comes in four pieces (at M1, H1, J9, B8 on the map) - but really it isn't all that useful, as it only tells you the three possible squares for the pirate ship not where it is at a given time - so sticking your head out of the water is the easiest way by far.

It narrows things down though.

Thanks for that I know a couple of other people this will help.

gamingeek

phisheep said:

I just checked my treasure collection and it looks like I have the pirate compass intact. So why doesn't it show these locations on the map where the ghost ship could be?

EDIT:

Nevermind. I seem to have the main part. Just found another.

Top Bottom