• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy 12 (NA) Thread

Kazenone

RevenantKioku said:
The sphere grid's real interest comes not from the generic spheres, but the White Magic/Black Magic/Abililty/Friend/Move spheres that allow you to take basically set in stone characters (if you're playing on the standard grid) and really expand on them.

That doesn't really matter towards the end of the game however. If you're playing straight through, doing a standard 5-6hr grind every so often, each character will go round the SG and have identical stats. At that point, their stats are 170+, which is more than enough to kill any of the story-line Bosses in 1, or 2, Attack Commands. If you're going after the Monster Arena and/or Dark Aeons, even then - each character needs to have practically the same stats to survice, and even then, the most effective attack method is just Attack and Overdrive commands, so having 7 characters than can do nearly 99,999HP damage - having 'stone' characters doesn't get a look in.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Kazenone said:
That doesn't really matter towards the end of the game however. If you're playing straight through, doing a standard 5-6hr grind every so often,
Wait wait wait. Standard? :lol Only time I did was before Seymour on Gagadzet.
each character will go round the SG and have identical stats. At that point, their stats are 170+, which is more than enough to kill any of the story-line Bosses in 1, or 2, Attack Commands. If you're going after the Monster Arena and/or Dark Aeons, even then - each character needs to have practically the same stats to survice, and even then, the most effective attack method is just Attack and Overdrive commands, so having 7 characters than can do nearly 99,999HP damage - having 'stone' characters doesn't get a look in.
Well yeah for some of the nutty extra bosses maybe, but playing straight forward like I did, there's little grinding and a bit of a challenge. But that's the whole grind argument all over again. Basically it boils down to you usually can beat it fighting tooth and nails while a little underpowered or just grind to high heaven and plow through. It isn't as if FFXII is void of this either.

bluemax

Banned
The problem with the LG is that even if I spend forever building up and getting enough LP to open a license way early, it's completely unuseable. If I spent forever unlocking say, all the spells in the first couple hours of the game they'd be worthless until 50 hours later when I got those spells.

The way I played through FFX each character was still fairly unique at the end of the game (I didn't power level or do sidequests) and I needed each character's abilities to win.

In FFXII same deal, I didn't powerlevel but my characters are closing in on being identical. There really isn't much specialization to be done through the LG.

Also, strategy? What strategy? In FFX I spent a couple hours retrying one of the final fights until I came up with the right combo/order of moves to win it. In FFXII for the first half of the game I mostly just got bosses half dead then finished with Mist Knack. In the second half I pretty much just used normal attacks and a few spells combined with constant healing and waited the fights out. I've had the same gambit set up for like 60 hours. It's possible the game would've been made easier had I redone my gambits, but there wasn't much need.

Kazenone

RevenantKioku said:
Well yeah for some of the nutty extra bosses maybe, but playing straight forward like I did, there's little grinding and a bit of a challenge. But that's the whole grind argument all over again. Basically it boils down to you usually can beat it fighting tooth and nails while a little underpowered or just grind to high heaven and plow through. It isn't as if FFXII is void of this either.

Sorry, I didn't want to unearth some bad memories/arguments :x

RevenantKioku said:
Wait wait wait. Standard? :lol Only time I did was before Seymour on Gagadzet.

I thought most FF players were into lots of grinding, I know I am. :)

I like grinding, but I don't. The first time I play through an RPG, I don't mind it... but it kills any urge to replay. The only FF games I've beaten more than once is FFX and FFVI. I got through FFVII, VIII, and IX pretty far on second playthroughs, but I didn't beat them.

FFXII looks more grind-friendly though thanks to the elimination of random battles, plus I thought the demo was very fun, and I love the look of everything.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Are you guys going to answer the doorbell on Halloween or just ignore it and keep playing? You might get egged if you do that.

Amir0x

Banned
Guileless said:
Are you guys going to answer the doorbell on Halloween or just ignore it and keep playing? You might get egged if you do that.

I personally don't participate in that Halloween shit, so it'd be the same as any year for me.

Although one year some kids came to the door and I filled up a watersoaker with freezing water, and when they yelled 'trick or treat' I said 'trick' and chased them off my property. One of the fat kids dropped his bag of candy and I took it.

I guess I should feel bad about that but it was funny all those years ago!

Amir0x said:
I personally don't participate in that Halloween shit, so it'd be the same as any year for me.

Although one year some kids came to the door and I filled up a watersoaker with freezing water, and when they yelled 'trick or treat' I said 'trick' and chased them off my property. One of the fat kids dropped his bag of candy and I took it.

Although a tad sad, it still is :lol

Amir0x said:

you're a dick man :lol

Diablos

**** Halloween!

Of course... I won't be getting my FF12 CE until a couple days into November anyway, since I preordered online.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I won't get it October 31st unless they ship a day in advance. I did pick overnight.

Diablos

I picked 2 day, I think.

It would be so awesome if Square released the game earlier than expected like they did for FFX. Of course, 10/31 isn't after the holidays. :(

10/15, believe!

The ideal "October Surprise" for gamers! :D

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Kazenone said:
Sorry, I didn't want to unearth some bad memories/arguments :x
Eh it just seems FF12 may not be a game for me.
I thought most FF players were into lots of grinding, I know I am. :)
I actually am a defender of grinding on these boards, I just didn't need to do it in FFX is all.

Aeana

Some people at GameFAQs are saying that at their stores, they are hearing that those who preorder will get the game on the 24th, a week early. That would be great, if true, but I would like to see some concrete info.

Beezy

Amir0x said:

:lol :lol :lol

Y2Kev

Aeana said:
Some people at GameFAQs are saying that at their stores, they are hearing that those who preorder will get the game on the 24th, a week early. That would be great, if true, but I would like to see some concrete info.

*head asplode*

That'd be PERFECT. I have a math midterm on November 8th, so having it a bit early would make my day.

EGM92

Red Scarlet said:
In his defense, I did forget to have the release date in the first post originally.

yea thanks,

this is a little messed, I went to preorder at the closest EB and they said they don't have anymore CE's but I can preorder the normal version which release date is Nov 10th (wtf? same day as GoW?). I then went to a store that was located not too far from the distrobution center here and they said Nov 2nd (I preordered from here). Is no one selling it on OCT31??!! I needs my FF fix, it's been so long.

EGM92

Red Scarlet said:
...but I did add it in long before you posted. :)

I usually don't go back an read first posts after I've read them when the thread was still new :D

Anyways I was watching vids of the JPN version of some battles, and was wondering.

Is it possible, when you have a party and you get into battles to set it up so that when you can make the game "turn based" by turning off the gambits and cause a party members menu to pop up once their action has been taken? So the player won't have to manually press the menu button and having to select the party member, it just pops up for when the character can take orders.

Red Scarlet

EGM92 said:
I usually don't go back an read first posts after I've read them when the thread was still new :D

Anyways I was watching vids of the JPN version of some battles, and was wondering.

Is it possible, when you have a party and you get into battles to set it up so that when you can make the game "turn based" by turning off the gambits and cause a party members menu to pop up once their action has been taken? So the player won't have to manually press the menu button and having to select the party member, it just pops up for when the character can take orders.

You could turn off gambits and tell each character what to do, yes. You'd have to put in each command afterward if you wanted to do something other than fight, though. After one command is put in, the character automatically chooses to fight the target monster with gambits on or off. No menu pops up after a character performs an action or when their 'turn' would come up. So you'd have to open the on-screen menu and go to the other character to choose something else for him or her to do aside from fight.

Fady K

With Matsuno out of Square-Enix now, I dont think there anything Id badly wanna get after FFXII, and now I lost all hope for a Vagrant Story sequel. Do any of you Vagrant Story fans just feel the love for this game??? :D

Oh, and about Matsuno, is he "officially" working on a Wii game? I'd rather have a PS3/X360 RPG, but thats just me.

Fady K said:
With Matsuno out of Square-Enix now, I dont think there anything Id badly wanna get after FFXII, and now I lost all hope for a Vagrant Story sequel. Do any of you Vagrant Story fans just feel the love for this game??? :D

Oh, and about Matsuno, is he "officially" working on a Wii game? I'd rather have a PS3/X360 RPG, but thats just me.

I feel a much stronger connection to Final Fantasy Tactics. The music, the setting(Ivalice), character designs, etc. Reminds me alot of that game.

keanerie

Fady K said:
Do any of you Vagrant Story fans just feel the love for this game??? :D

Oh yeah, for sure. As a VS fan I'm looking for FFXII to deliver me the same kind of Matsuno-ey goodness I haven't experienced VS since did. But obviously the game is totally different - VS' tone and setting are a lot different than what we're seeing of FFXII, VS is all about underground dungeons and a tightly focused drama whereas FF is, of course, epic and a huge world. Like gamergirly said FFT probably comes to mind more than VS when I see XII, but at the same time, all these games are the product of Matsuno's mind, and, though they're all diffferent, there are some things that just make Matsuno games enjoyable in a way only Matsuno can deliver.

Fady K

keanerie said:
Oh yeah, for sure. As a VS fan I'm looking for FFXII to deliver me the same kind of Matsuno-ey goodness I haven't experienced VS since did. But obviously the game is totally different - VS' tone and setting are a lot different than what we're seeing of FFXII, VS is all about underground dungeons and a tightly focused drama whereas FF is, of course, epic and a huge world. Like gamergirly said FFT probably comes to mind more than VS when I see XII, but at the same time, all these games are the product of Matsuno's mind, and, though they're all diffferent, there are some things that just make Matsuno games enjoyable in a way only Matsuno can deliver.

Well said keanerie, its the matsuno delivery that I look forward to. If the story is as dramatic as VS's ill be really really happy :D

Y2Kev

brandonh83 said:
My anticipation for this game is dramatic, that's for sure.

*watches the trailer over and over again*
These are just lines from the trailer I have memorized:
WHO ARE YOU, VASSLER, TO TALK OF TRUST?
*slap* HOW DARE YOU
What do you care about Dalmasca??? Everything's happened because of YOU!
I'm tired of running.

omg so excited

Y2Kevbug11 said:
*head asplode*

That'd be PERFECT. I have a math midterm on November 8th, so having it a bit early would make my day.

i'm guessing there's no actual confirmation of this? I haven't pre-ordered yet, but knowing that I could get it a week early would get me to that point in a heartbeat.

honestly, though, it seems really unlikely that they would do this.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Diablos said:
I picked 2 day, I think.

It would be so awesome if Square released the game earlier than expected like they did for FFX. Of course, 10/31 isn't after the holidays. :(

Ah, I remember that. I walked into a store and asked about the FFX release date knowing it was a few weeks away, and the dude told me to put five bucks down right away because the surprise early shipment was showing up in about forty-five minutes... :D

Y2Kev

With each passing day, I am more and more certain of this game's wonderfulness. I have kind of learned tiny bits about the story and the characters to the point where I feel like I am already in love with the cast and the basic premise of the plot.

I'm not expecting the best game I've ever played, so I won't be disappointed. The game just has the proper feel to me...it feels epic and grandiose. It feels like Final Fantasy. Gosh, I'm so excited.

P.S. Can I get an ID on the song that plays in the third part of the trailer? Sounds awesome.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
With each passing day, I am more and more certain of this game's wonderfulness. I have kind of learned tiny bits about the story and the characters to the point where I feel like I am already in love with the cast and the basic premise of the plot.

I'm not expecting the best game I've ever played, so I won't be disappointed. The game just has the proper feel to me...it feels epic and grandiose. It feels like Final Fantasy. Gosh, I'm so excited.

P.S. Can I get an ID on the song that plays in the third part of the trailer? Sounds awesome.

As long as the storyline is good, nothing else matters.

Fady K

gamergirly said:
As long as the storyline is good, nothing else matters.

Yeah, im really really hyped about the story here. I have a feeling thisll have one of the best RPG stories ever :D

kenta

Has no PEINS
Looks like that English intro/tutorial was removed by the user, did anyone download it and care to rehost it?

14 hours so far... i must say i hate ff x and my favorite games of Square are Chrono Cross, Vagrand Story and Parasite Eve 2. never played FF VII though!

1st thing to say FFXII = one of best voice acting in game
2nd Combat and Crahacters are amazing
3dr FFXII>you :lol
filnal words = so far best rpg game i played (and i played alot :lol, BG1,BG2,NVN,PlaneScape,
FFX, Jagged Alians series, almost any FPS rpg, some tunr based jap rpgs .. bla bla manny many rpg games :D but to lazzy to list them all) :lol

ps. Game is not so FF btw... even some sounds are from V Stroy ;)

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
keanerie said:
As a VS fan I'm looking for FFXII to deliver me the same kind of Matsuno-ey goodness I haven't experienced VS since did. But obviously the game is totally different...

Ooh, you are going to be so (pleasantly) surprised.

EGM92

Liquid Sector said:
14 hours so far... i must say i hate ff x and my favorite games of Square are Chrono Cross, Vagrand Story and Parasite Eve 2. never played FF VII though!

1st thing to say FFXII = one of best voice acting in game
2nd Combat and Crahacters are amazing
3dr FFXII>you :lol
filnal words = so far best rpg game i played (and i played alot :lol, BG1,BG2,NVN,PlaneScape,
FFX, Jagged Alians series, almost any FPS rpg, some tunr based jap rpgs .. bla bla manny many rpg games :D but to lazzy to list them all) :lol

ps. Game is not so FF btw... even some sounds are from V Stroy ;)

Are these your impressions from the english version of the game?

A reason I've been looking forward to FFXII is because of Matsuno. Ever since I played Tactics I've wondered what a mainstream title directed by Matsuno would be like. And after playing Vagrant Story my interests increased. As long as it does have that FF feeling (which I actually thought Tactics had somewhat) all should be fine. FF atmosphere + Vagrant atmosphere = success.

Amir0x

Banned
The reasons I look forward to FFXII in simple checklist form!

- Matsuno Gameplay & Scenario
- Sakimoto Soundtrack
- No random battles
- Huge explorable world
- Hunting for randomized treasure!
- Cities that actually feel like they're hugely populated
- De-emphasis on characters and OPM says the villains actually have understandable motives for once to boot.
- Fantastic graphics for a PS2 game
- My penis in Fran's buttocks

Ponn

Banned
Amir0x said:

- Sakimoto Soundtrack
- No random battles
- Huge explorable world
- De-emphasis on characters and OPM says the villains actually have understandable motives for once to boot.

Now thats something a whole non-gamer family can enjoy!

Aeana

Amir0x said:

This one especially is definitely true. The first time I played the game, I was determined to read every single line of text the game had for me... it was quite an undertaking, and you can't even talk to everybody in town! (read: there are so many people in towns that even though you can only talk to a fraction of them, the number of people you can talk to is very large)

Doom_Bringer said:
how the hell did you get the english version so early?

Pirates_Gold_GEN_ScreenShot1.jpg

Fady K

brandonh83 said:
A reason I've been looking forward to FFXII is because of Matsuno. Ever since I played Tactics I've wondered what a mainstream title directed by Matsuno would be like. And after playing Vagrant Story my interests increased. As long as it does have that FF feeling (which I actually thought Tactics had somewhat) all should be fine. FF atmosphere + Vagrant atmosphere = success.

Same way I feel!

Amir0x said:

- Sakimoto Soundtrack
- No random battles
- Huge explorable world

My checklist is just like this ones...you rock Amirox :D Though...about that last point, im not so sure...i think id take Ashe instead :D

Pirates_Gold_GEN_ScreenShot1.jpg

Crap! So it IS true that the US version was leaked out. And this early. I really hope this doesnt badly affect its sales.

Diablos

Doom_Bringer said:
how the hell did you get the english version so early?
It leaked on 10/1, I believe.

Also, if the rumors of people who preordered getting it on 10/24 is true, that would be so so awesome. The earlier, the better!

Fady K -- I doubt it will hurt sales all that much. Most FF fans are pretty loyal. Hell, if I had a modchip and pirated the game, I still wouldn't cancel my preorder. Not to mention, you can't pirate the awesome packaging and presentation of the CE. :p

Not sure if I mentioned this before, but just in case I didn't, I saw the CE packaging in a GameStop last week and it looks awesome!

EGM92

I've been watching more and more videos of the game and besides seeing players pickup jars with GIL inside I don't see how they make money? Is GIL awarded after every kill? It's not some FF8 bullshit where you have to walk a certain amount of steps to get money is it?

Thanks

Top Bottom