• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy 12 (NA) Thread

EGM92 said:
I've been watching more and more videos of the game and besides seeing players pickup jars with GIL inside I don't see how they make money? Is GIL awarded after every kill? It's not some FF8 bullshit where you have to walk a certain amount of steps to get money is it?

Thanks

The monsters drop 'loot' which can be sold in the various shops.

EGM92

UltraMagnanimous said:
The monsters drop 'loot' which can be sold in the various shops.

Thanks, I'm guessing loot is those little icons of bags they leave behind in the videos?

nilay

i just hate the fact eveyr dungen has 1 enemy that can beat u silly in 1 hit and i like a knob explore eveyrthing and always try fighting em and aalways et my ass handed to me and i aalways gotta go back to entrance where the save point is and do dungeon again >_<

Red Scarlet

If one badguy gives you trouble in an area in a DQ, it's pretty likely that others in that area will give you trouble too.

I tried the leaked version for a little time and the dub seems gorgeous indeed, miles away from FFX's. Too bad I'm not getting into the game until it's released over here (Europe). But anyway I have loads of RPGs in my 'to finish' list (SMT Nocturne, WA4, FM4, SH Covenant, DQ8... and on top of those I just bought KH2). I know there's no way I'll ever finish all those games but the intention's there!

BuddyC

Mr Wispy said:
My friend has the leaked US version. He said its great.
I want to play it pretty badly.
That's great. Don't talk about it here. Admission to and impressions of pirated software gets you banned.

jax (old)

Banned
lol. I was wondering why he got banned and checked his history... for posting impressions of a pirated software? Hell, I've read a few bootleg / rom / emulation topics here and they'd all been allowed under the guise of homebrew. Especially the PSP threads....

He's fairly passionate about FFXII from his post history too.

Zilch

Banned
Jax said:
lol. I was wondering why he got banned and checked his history... for posting impressions of a pirated software? Hell, I've read a few bootleg / rom / emulation topics here and they'd all been allowed under the guise of homebrew. Especially the PSP threads....

I'm fairly certain that it'd be hard to convince an admin here that FFXII is some sort of 'homebrew'.

The rules are pretty clear.

BuddyC

Jax said:

Apart from what Zilch just brought up, emulation's always been a grey area because, unless otherwise indicated, we tend to assume you actually own the emulated software and therefore aren't stealing / pirating when you emulate it. With something like Final Fantasy XII that's not yet available in english, and the user even going so far to admit they played a pirated version, there's not as much of a grey area.

I remember zepking (I think) said that there will be a midnight release of FFXII at gametops and ebgames. Is this true? I've checked a few stores and they don't know anything about it.

will they be getting info soon? will it just be some stores? will there be a way to check which stores will be releasing at midnight, if any?

Mr Wispy

BuddyC said:
That's great. Don't talk about it here. Admission to and impressions of pirated software gets you banned.

Woah. I didn't say I pirated it myself. Just someone I know has it. And apparently ... it's good!?
Not much surprise there though. Of course it was going to be good.
So when does it get released in Europe? Another 5 months or something?

Ponn

Banned
Clever Pun said:
where is this? I'm specifically looking for a store in Houston that will be doing a midnight release.

The one I preordered at said they would be doing midnight release also. I'm in florida. It's like the first midnight release they have done since Halo 2. Not even one for the 360.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
if possible it would be great for us europeans if someone could snap some real life shots of the Collecter's Edition - thanks!

Ponn01 said:
The one I preordered at said they would be doing midnight release also. I'm in florida. It's like the first midnight release they have done since Halo 2. Not even one for the 360.

well, at least somewhere they are doing it. I'll have to just start making some phone calls. thanks for the info.

rod

Banned
so ive been reading impressions everywhere and import reviews on eurogamer and other fan sites, and i have a few questions...i was hoping this ff would be teh return to form after ffx (not too bad) and ffx-2 (tragic) but the more i read on it the more i think it might be the worst ff ever..

ok so i already know there is no overworld....but why does every video i watch, the dungeouns, all look the fricken same!! and theyre all like corridors...corridors of enemies and thats it. seriously.

secondly. there is no main/supervillian? WTF? these "judges" and the dude with the long hair...thats it? sorry if i sound pessimistic, im in NO way trolling, id love to get in with all the love and excitement but i just think this is gonna be another ffx in the making.

and thirdly yeah, no overworld, again, but those supposedly "massive areas to explore" also, look the same in every pic/vid ive seen. i really hope there is more to it, because it really seems like a generic RPG to me. bare in mind ive kept a complete media blackout on this game like i did with ffx, and im only going off what ive seen so if someone wants to correct me im all for it

/rant

rod said:
so ive been reading impressions everywhere and import reviews on eurogamer and other fan sites, and i have a few questions...i was hoping this ff would be teh return to form after ffx (not too bad) and ffx-2 (tragic) but the more i read on it the more i think it might be the worst ff ever..

ok so i already know there is no overworld....but why does every video i watch, the dungeouns, all look the fricken same!! and theyre all like corridors...corridors of enemies and thats it. seriously.

secondly. there is no main/supervillian? WTF? these "judges" and the dude with the long hair...thats it? sorry if i sound pessimistic, im in NO way trolling, id love to get in with all the love and excitement but i just think this is gonna be another ffx in the making.

and thirdly yeah, no overworld, again, but those supposedly "massive areas to explore" also, look the same in every pic/vid ive seen. i really hope there is more to it, because it really seems like a generic RPG to me. bare in mind ive kept a complete media blackout on this game like i did with ffx, and im only going off what ive seen so if someone wants to correct me im all for it

/rant

You're completely wrong in every way. So I guess this means you will be pleasantly surprised when you play the game.

Red Scarlet

Some of the things you said are subjective, others there is more to it than what you said up there. I PM'd you a response like you requested, but by no means should you only go by what I said. There are wildly varying opinions about almost every aspect of this game.

Amir0x

Banned
brandonh83 said:
Like golden sex, finished to perfection with hot round ass.

haha. i had some issues with the way the inside looks relative to their 'promotion' on the website, but other than that it's fantastic

I've played this at e3, JPN version, and that USA demo.

I've played a decent portion (few hours), and while that's definitely not enough for a full judgment, I really do think all the dungeon areas look like crap. Not graphically, but in a redundant fashion. I really do hope things shape up.

u_neek said:
So is this another dungeon crawler RPG? I hear the dungeons are HUGE!

If FF12 were a dungeon crawler the Japanese fans would go nuts and burn down the Square Enix HQ.

Not only are the dungeons huge but the cities are big as well. The game is just epic

I just finished the game and i have to say i am very disapointed with the game and the best way to describe this game is dungeon siege 2 in a star wars universe with vagrant story characters.The dungeons- huge and boring that i couldnt belive this was ff
characters-design is too much like vagrant story and while the characters are nicely done the faces are so badly done i still cant belive it
Graphics-incredible and by far the most technicaly advanced last gen game
Story-is nicely done but the story telling is bad in comparison to previous ff and it is almost emotionaly empty
Music-compared to ueamatsu it is laughable
Lenght-too long because of the dungeons
Gameplay-the battle system is to mmo like for my taste but i grew to like it
This game will surely be the best ff to the people who like dungeon crawling in a jrpg but i just didnt enjoy the game because it was so frustrating and it didnt have the the ff feeling i loved with the previous games.

sephiroth6 said:
blah blah blah I am a pirate n00b!

Sayonara!

sayonara.gif

Doom_Bringer said:
If FF12 were a dungeon crawler the Japanese fans would go nuts and burn down the Square Enix HQ.

Not only are the dungeons huge but the cities are big as well. The game is just epic

See, I don't agree. For example, the first town that you actively play? Bad news. It's just overly large and over-complicates things, rather than feeling "epic". I generally like to talk to everyone in all towns, but here it's almost worthless. Way too many objects oversaturates interest for me. Dragon Quest VIII was epic. Elegant, simple, epic.

Aeana

Kureishima said:
See, I don't agree. For example, the first town that you actively play? Bad news. It's just overly large and over-complicates things, rather than feeling "epic". I generally like to talk to everyone in all towns, but here it's almost worthless. Way too many objects oversaturates interest for me. Dragon Quest VIII was epic. Elegant, simple, epic.

It really only seems 'overly large' at first. After a few minutes, things start to settle in, and it becomes quite managable.
On my first game, I talked to absolutely every NPC several times and never felt overwhelmed.

Kureishima said:
I forgot about that and i agree 100% the cities in the game are huge but filled with meaningless talk

Beezy

Meh, it seems like every 3D Final Fantasy game is a love/hate affair. I think I'm just gonna ignore everyone's impressions. I'm buying this game because I liked the demo.

Aeana said:
It really only seems 'overly large' at first. After a few minutes, things start to settle in, and it becomes quite managable.
On my first game, I talked to absolutely every NPC several times and never felt overwhelmed.

I didn't say I was overwhelmed. I was oversaturated. There's a difference. And I've played more than "a few minutes". While I can't speak for the quality of the dialogue in all earnesty, the quantity and seemingly irrelevant nonsense is apparent.

Aeana

Kureishima said:
I didn't say I was overwhelmed. I was oversaturated. There's a difference. And I've played more than "a few minutes". While I can't speak for the quality of the dialogue in all earnesty, the quantity and seemingly irrelevant nonsense is apparent.

I simply stated my experiences. You seem like the person who made up his mind a long time ago and will not change it, and I don't intend to try. There's no need to get combative.

Beezy said:
Meh, it seems like every 3D Final Fantasy game is a love/hate affair. I think I'm just gonna ignore everyone's impressions. I'm buying this game because I liked the demo.

If you liked the demo, you should be ace.

Aeana said:
I simply stated my experiences. You seem like the person who made up his mind a long time ago and will not change it, and I don't intend to try. There's no need to get combative.

I didn't really mean to sound aggressive. But yes, I have been in negative graces with FF XII for years now for almost every reason plausible. However, I'm still going to try this when the NA release comes out. It'll tide until Wii.

Fady K

sephiroth6 said:
I just finished the game and i have to say i am very disapointed with the game and the best way to describe this game is dungeon siege 2 in a star wars universe with vagrant story characters.The dungeons- huge and boring that i couldnt belive this was ff
characters-design is too much like vagrant story and while the characters are nicely done the faces are so badly done i still cant belive it
Graphics-incredible and by far the most technicaly advanced last gen game
Story-is nicely done but the story telling is bad in comparison to previous ff and it is almost emotionaly empty
Music-compared to ueamatsu it is laughable
Lenght-too long because of the dungeons
Gameplay-the battle system is to mmo like for my taste but i grew to like it
This game will surely be the best ff to the people who like dungeon crawling in a jrpg but i just didnt enjoy the game because it was so frustrating and it didnt have the the ff feeling i loved with the previous games.

Thats what Im really happy about, believe it or not. Im sick of the FF experience ive had with most of the past FF games, and im extremely happy about FFXII becauses its so different.

Im just really down about the fact that this is Matsunos last Square Enix game

MrDaravon

Gamestop.com updated their info on the LE guide, it looks like it's actually going to happen now (unlike the last minute cancelled DQ8 LE guide ._.)

The BradyGames Signature Series Limited Edition Official Strategy Guide for Final Fantasy XII is a Gamestop/EB Games exclusive and will include the guide in one of 4-6 different covers, an Art Book containing a collection of Final Fantasy XII art not available elsewhere (90-100 pages approx) and both books will be kept in a Folio Cover shrink wrapped to help protect your guide and art book.

No pics of the covers yet, and they state they'll be picked randomly. Art book = hot.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
dungeon crawling is awesome rawrrrrrrrrrr, screw storyline with crappy characters. gimme big ass dungeon with nice loot and Im happy.

but random loot in dungeons is a big meh in this game.

SailorDaravon said:
Gamestop.com updated their info on the LE guide, it looks like it's actually going to happen now (unlike the last minute cancelled DQ8 LE guide ._.)

No pics of the covers yet, and they state they'll be picked randomly. Art book = hot.

Awesome! A great art book is what I was hoping the LE game would have, but this will do nicely.

Top Bottom