• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Greatest/Platinum/Players' Choice thread!

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'm new and thought I'd add something to the site with my first post.

PlayStation 2 Greatest Hits

114. Fight Night 2004
115. The Hulk
116. Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness
117. WWE SmackDown! Here Comes the Pain

Source: http://www.us.playstation.com/greatesthits.aspx

BTW you have a game twice so you can just replace one of them with my 117.
64. WWE Smackdown: Shut your mouth
94. Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth

GameCube Player's Choice

56. Kirby Air Ride
57. Medal of Honor: Rising Sun
58. Need for Speed Underground
59. Sims: Bustin' Out
60. Spongebob Squarepants: Battle For Bikini Bottom
61. Star Wars: Bounty Hunter

Source: http://www.nintendo.com/gamelist?category=pc

XBOX Platinum Hits

59. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
60. Harry Potter: Quidditch World Cup
61. James Bond 007: NightFire
62. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
63. Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2
64. Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Tides of War
65. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3

Source: http://www.xbox.com/en-us/platinumhits

BTW I was told that the following should be on the lists also but I haven't seen them and they're not on the websites I listed so I'd appreciate a confirmation.

PS2
NASCAR Thunder 2003

GCN
James Bond 007: Everything or Nothing
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

XBOX
Grabbed by the Ghoulies
Need for Speed Underground
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Voodoo Vince

Fuzzy said:
I'm new and thought I'd add something to the site with my first post.

PlayStation 2 Greatest Hits

114. Fight Night 2004
115. The Hulk

Source: http://www.us.playstation.com/greatesthits.aspx

BTW you have a game twice so you can just replace one of them with my 117.
64. WWE Smackdown: Shut your mouth
94. Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth

Hmmm.. That 2nd Smackdown was supposed to be Here Comes The Pain as that's been GH for quite a while as well as Tomb Raider and Fight Night. Somehow we must have screwed that up with the new board.

Also add:

118. Red Dead Revolver (PS2)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow should be joining the list soon (officially). It's been reduced to $19.99 at some places

AniHawk

CVXFREAK said:
Checked this week's Best Buy ad. Pokemon Colosseum and Sonic Heroes are PC. Likewise, SH is GH and PH on PS2 and Xbox.

Heh, I thought PokemonC would go PC soon. SH has been $20 for a while now.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I came across a a couple new Platnuim and Player's Choice titles today, while taking advantage of Best Buy's "2 for $25" deal. I saw all four of these in the PC or PH cases:

Xbox:
DDR Ultramix (I think the first one, but I should have looked closer to see if it was 1, 2 or both)
Namco Museum (I thought this was added months ago, but its not on the list)

Gamecube:
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (confirming Fuzzy)
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (the yellow stripe made this box look even worse)

Has SSBM been un-player's choiced? I know I saw it as a PC game last Christmas at $20, but now it has no banner and is back to $30.

Link316

Banned
I noticed Super Smash Bros no longer has the Player Choice logo on it, but now one of those "Best Seller" logos slapped on it

Matlock said:
115. The Hulk

Add: (120 on from http://www.us.playstation.com/greatesthits.aspx )
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
118. Red Dead Revolver
119. Star Ocean 3
120. Burnout 3
image_90x128_1.jpg

121. Star Wars: Battlefront
image_91x128_2.jpg

122. Def Jam: Fight for NY
123. GoldenEye: Rogue Agent
124. Hitman: Contracts
125. The Lord of the Rings, The Third Age
126. Myst III: Exile
127. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Jungle Storm
128. The Urbz: Sims in the City

If you only concerned with price point, anything on Xbox that is "XSN" is the same price as any PH title (sometimes even lower!). This means

NFL Fever 2004
NHL Rivals 2004
NBA Inside Drive 2004
Rallisport Challenge 2
Amped 2
Links 2004
Top Spin

In fact, if your in Canada, Best Buy and Future Shop are dumping their Links 2004, NHL Rivals 2004, and Top Spin for $9.99 CAD, as well as ESPN NHL 2K5.

Oracle Dragon said:
If you only concerned with price point, anything on Xbox that is "XSN" is the same price as any PH title (sometimes even lower!).

We're not. There are over 700 PS2 titles that are retail $19.99 and below and over 1,000 overall (assuming you could find some of those titles that pop up on NPD back from 2000/2001)

sonycowboy said:
We're not. There are over 700 PS2 titles that are retail $19.99 and below and over 1,000 overall (assuming you could find some of those titles that pop up on NPD back from 2000/2001)

Sorry. Guess I was confused by the topic starter.

Matlock said:
Or at least that pricepoint. Right now, I'm mostly concerned with the games that hit the $20 point and that sold enough to be called a bestseller. Accuracy be damned!

Of course, that was a long time ago when he said that ;)

sonycowboy said:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
118. Red Dead Revolver
119. Star Ocean 3
120. Burnout 3

This weeks Best Buy ad confirmes Star Wars: Battlefront and adds:

129: X-Men: Legends
130: Splinter Cell: Pandora's Tomorrow
131: Sonic: Mega Collection

325186_b.JPG

sonycowboy said:
118. Red Dead Revolver
119. Star Ocean 3
120. Burnout 3

Add:

132: Spongebob Squarepants: The Movie

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050729/laf020.html?.v=21

It's also platinum hits and players choice as well.

sonycowboy said:
Add:
118. Red Dead Revolver
119. Star Ocean 3
120. Burnout 3
132: Spongebob Squarepants: The Movie

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050729/laf020.html?.v=21

It's also platinum hits and players choice as well.

(PS2 Greatest Hits)
Add:

133: The Incredibles
134: Call of Duty: Finest Hour
135: Harry Potter: Prisoner of Azkaban
136: Need for Speed: Underground 2
137: Shrek 2
138: Spider-Man 2: The Movie
139: Tony Hawk: Underground 2

Saurus

Tried picking up Killzone today at Best Buy and Toys R Us and it was still full price. Anyone know when the price drop will go into effect?

sonycowboy said:
(PS2 Greatest Hits)
Add:

140: ATV Offroad Fury 3
141: Hot Shots Golf Fore
142: Jak 3
143: Killzone
144: Ratchet & Clank 3
145: Sly 2
146: Syphon Filter

147: WWE Smackdown vs Raw

also Players choice for WWE Day of Reckoning

World Wrestling Entertainment(R) Games Win Two New Titles: 'Greatest Hits' and 'Player's Choice'

Thursday August 25, 8:30 am ET
Top Honor Gives Fans Two Popular World Wrestling Entertainment Titles, WWE(R) SmackDown!(R) Vs. RAW(R) and WWE Day of Reckoning, at a $19.99 Price Point

CALABASAS HILLS, Calif., Aug. 25 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- THQ Inc. (Nasdaq: THQI - News) and JAKKS Pacific, Inc. (Nasdaq: JAKK - News) today announced that two of their most popular wrestling video games have been given "Superstar" treatment. Effective immediately, World Wrestling Entertainment (NYSE: WWE - News) licensed video games WWE Day of Reckoning and WWE® SmackDown!® Vs. RAW® have been added to Nintendo's "Players Choice" collection for Nintendo GameCube(TM) and Sony's "Greatest Hits" collection for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, respectively. Both games are now available at retailers throughout North America for the low price of $19.99. WWE Day of Reckoning originally launched in summer 2004, while WWE SmackDown! Vs. RAW launched in fall 2004.

"We're excited and thrilled at the enormous success and popularity of these wrestling titles that bring all of the action of the WWE to living rooms across the world," said Peter Dille, senior vice president of worldwide marketing, THQ. "The $19.99 price point will allow a greater number of wrestling fans the opportunity to play the games while waiting patiently for the much-anticipated follow-ups, WWE SmackDown! Vs. RAW 2006 and WWE Day of Reckoning 2, scheduled to release later this year."

"WWE Day of Reckoning and WWE SmackDown! Vs. RAW are incredible titles that speak to the popularity of the WWE," said Nelo Lucich, Vice President of Interactive, JAKKS Pacific. "Each of these titles accurately captured the realism of the ring, and now we'll be able to give more fans the opportunity to enjoy these great products."

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Saurus said:
Tried picking up Killzone today at Best Buy and Toys R Us and it was still full price. Anyone know when the price drop will go into effect?

BB and TRU are oftentimes a little slow. I know it went into effect at EB yesterday though because I was able to purchase a non-GH copy for $20.

sonycowboy said:
140: ATV Offroad Fury 3
141: Hot Shots Golf Fore
142: Jak 3
143: Killzone
144: Ratchet & Clank 3
145: Sly 2
146: Syphon Filter
147: WWE Smackdown vs Raw

(PS2 Greatest Hits)
Add:

148: Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3

In addition, Atari will release Dragon Ball Z®: Budokai(TM) 3 in SCEA's "Greatest Hits" program for the PlayStation®2 game console with a bonus feature made especially for the series' most passionate fans. For the first time ever in a Budokai game in the U.S., fans will be able to unlock the original Japanese voiceover cast.

Matlock

Banned
Working on correcting things via the PR assets I can find here and there--seems there are far fewer GH titles than first assumed.

Scott

Quick question:

I know X-Men Legends (PS2) is a Greatest Hits title, but is it also a Platinum Hits (XBox) or a Player's Choice (GC) title?

Anyone have an idea on when Four Swords + GC, Pikmin 2, and Paper Mario 2 will drop to PC. All of them seem to have stayed at 50$. Those are the last few games I need to close out my GCN collection before Fire Emblem, Viewtiful Joe 3, and The Legend of Zelda TP.

Memles

Stopsign said:
Anyone have an idea on when Four Swords + GC, Pikmin 2, and Paper Mario 2 will drop to PC. All of them seem to have stayed at 50$. Those are the last few games I need to close out my GCN collection before Fire Emblem, Viewtiful Joe 3, and The Legend of Zelda TP.

Pikmin 2 will likely be making the move pretty soon, but Paper Mario likely will not be. Four Swords is discounted pretty often, to be honest, but it might drop officially this holiday season.

Mario Kart is the one that is really due; it's been two years.

sonycowboy 133: The Incredibles 134: Call of Duty: Finest Hour 135: Harry Potter: Prisoner of Azkaban 136: Need for Speed: Underground 2 137: Shrek 2 138: Spider-Man 2: The Movie 139: Tony Hawk: Underground 2 140: ATV Offroad Fury 3 141: Hot Shots Golf Fore 142: Jak 3 143: Killzone 144: Ratchet & Clank 3 145: Sly 2 146: Syphon Filter 147: WWE Smackdown vs Raw 148: Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 [/quote said:
Add 149: Mortal Kombat: Deception (also to Platinum Hits)
Midway's Mortal Kombat: Deception(R) Attains Greatest Hits and Platinum Hits Status
Friday October 14, 9:30 am ET
The PlayStation(R)2 Computer Entertainment System & the Xbox(R) Video Game System from Microsoft Award Top-Selling Fighting Game Franchise Respective Distinction on Store Shelves Nationwide

CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 14, 2005-- Midway Games Inc. (NYSE:MWY - News), a leading interactive entertainment industry publisher and developer, today announced that Mortal Kombat: Deception® has shipped as a Greatest Hits title for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and as a Platinum Hits title for the Xbox® video game system from Microsoft. As a new addition to these prominent programs, Mortal Kombat: Deception will be re-distributed with new packaging at a suggested retail price of $19.99.

By definition, a title earning the Greatest Hits and/or Platinum Hits distinction requires that a company manufacture more than 400,000 units per respective platform during its first nine months on store shelves. In total, Mortal Kombat: Deception has shipped in excess of 1.9 million units worldwide since its release in October 2004.

Leading consumer and gaming enthusiast media have also recognized Mortal Kombat: Deception as a favorite in the fighting videogame genre:

* Game Informer - Named Mortal Kombat: Deception one of "Top 50 Games in 2004"
* SpikeTV - Best Fighting Game of 2004
* Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences (AIAS) - Best Fighting Game of 2004
* GameSpot.com - Best Fighting Game of 2004

The Mortal Kombat franchise also expanded its horizons in the action/adventure genre this fall with the September 2005 release of Midway's, Mortal Kombat®: Shaolin Monks(TM).

Midway Games Inc. is a leading developer, publisher and marketer of interactive entertainment software. Midway videogames are available for play on all major videogame platforms including the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, Xbox, Nintendo GameCube(TM), Game Boy® Advance and personal computers.

For more information about Mortal Kombat: Deception visit www.mortalkombatdeception.com

cicero

Have there been any new titles released as Greatest/Platinum/Players' Choice games since the start of October?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
cicero said:
Have there been any new titles released as Greatest/Platinum/Players' Choice games since the start of October?
I don't bother with this thread any more since the games aren't in alphabetical order, I just check each of the following links.

http://www.us.playstation.com/greatesthits.aspx (they do a good job of updating the list)
http://www.xbox.com/en-us/platinumhits (they don't do as good a job as Sony but it's ok)
http://www.nintendo.com/gamelist?category=pc (they have games pop up and then disappear all the time, Nintendo sucks at keeping this up to date)

Tsubaki

cicero said:

I noticed that Morrowind GOTY Edition is now a Platium Hits game now. Previously, it was just the regular Morrowind. But the GOTY Edition was 19.99 anyway so I don't quite understand.

Tarazet

Wow, that didn't get much reaction considering it's GAF's 2005 GOTY we're talking about.

I saw it in a store today - cover art looks exactly the same, except the black bands are yellow now. Doesn't look too bad.

jarrod

Banned
Soon we'll need to be adding GBA too. :)

01 Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2 (Nintendo)
02 Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 (Nintendo)
03 Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (Nintendo)

Top Bottom