• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gulf Of Mexico Oil Disaster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
JoeBoy101 said:
Well, now it looks like that moratorium is on all drilling, not just the 33 before, or rigs going under 500 feet.

Government Issues New Offshore Oil Moratorium

Nah. I think this is narrower.

the new one applies to any deep-water floating facility with drilling activities.

1) Deep-water = Don't know the exact number but it is certainly more than 5 hundred. The rig that burned & sank was drilling at 5000 feet.

2) floating = excludes rigs that are standing on the seafloor. They have to be floating rigs.

3) drilling = excludes production facilities.

So I believe it now covers less than the 33 that it did before. I don't know the number though.

Trurl

Banned
Kagari said:
This is still so depressing. I feel like this disaster isn't getting the attention it needs.
This disaster has been in the back of my mind every day yet I don't talk about it much. When even the federal government has been impotent in dealing with it I have no idea what I could do to help. With other disasters I have given to charity to help me sleep, but with this I have just adopted a grace stoicism about the whole thing.

I only hope that this sparks a new environmentalist movement. I also hope that it ends the attitude that the Earth is so great that humans can't possibly do meaningful damage to it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Kagari said:
This is still so depressing. I feel like this disaster isn't getting the attention it needs.

I'd argue that it's getting alot of attention. It's on like every news channel.

Yeah the water situation is scary.

I know that they are mostly just burying the oil in the sand correct? Florida isn't really known for having great groundsoil and bedrock. Tons of limestone and marshy areas.

I can't imagine some of it not already starting to leak into our groundwater.

:(

At least the water was always shitty, right?

Pimpwerx

I flew into Ft Lauderdale on Sunday afternoon. We landed from the east, so we came in low over the water. I saw a long ribbon of oil on the surface about a half-mile off the shore of Port Everglades. It stretched under the plane. What I saw looked about a quarter-mile long and about 10 yards wide. It went under the plane, so it might have been longer. We were on final approach, so I couldn't get out of my seat to look out the other side, and I couldn't take pictures since electronics have to be turned off.

The ribbon looked just like that nasty shit on tv. Orange-yellow glop on the surface. There were no skimmers, though there were boats as close as a few hundred yards. If you're familiar with Ft Lauderdale, the plane was probably twice the height of the smokestacks near the airport, so I got a good look at it.

I looked for sheen, but the sun wasn't at the angle to judge that. I was looking north out of the plane.

Those bullshit artists at the Coast Guard labs want to claim the 80lbs of tar washed up on Cocoa Beach, and the tar in the Keys isn't from the BP spill. Right...it's just a happy coincidence. I want to hear them explain that shit. I don't think algal blooms look like that. And if they do, they should close the beach and declare a red tide.

I thought I was crazy, but apparently there is some other reporting of this. You can only really see it easily from the air, although I'm sure if you got near it in a boat, it would be impossible to miss. It's long, and it would have to cross the entrance to Port Everglades sometime, which means boats going in and out will pas through it. It was south of the entrance on Sunday. I haven't seen anything of this in the local news. :(

Let me make it clear. According to what I've seen with my own eyes, the oil has rounded the bend. I hope to god it stays off-shore, but don't be surprised if you hear about a wave of crude washing-up on beaches in Palm Beach county or further north.

Anyone else heard or seen this themselves? I was shocked. I said "OMG" out loud on the plane. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

FWIW, someone shot video on the 9th of the same thing I saw on the 11th, flying home. Those two videos from Hollywood, FL were the videos referenced in the OpEdNews article I linked to before.

Some comments are saying it's seaweed, but it damn sure didn't look like that from the plane. But then again, I don't own a boat I can go out and investigate in.

This is in tandem with the CSTARS satellite photos showing what could be slicks off the coast, all the way up to Cape Canaveral. Cocoa Beach is by Cape Canaveral.

PEACE.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Wii said:
I'm sure the dinosaurs were saying: "it's just a 9mile asteroid, how bad can it be?"
Well looky what I have, a quote from the dinosaurs as during said event.

"Holy shit, there a giant rock falling from the sky, whatdoidowhatdoido"

"It hit the water! I am saved! Wait, no, the ground, its shacking, baddly, panic everyon, panic!"

"Oh god, a giant wave if coming, wh"

Cuts off after that. I think there was a fire too that occured, since the report is a bit burnt.

To your comment of what I do, with me living in Lake Worth Florida... I pick 'Ignore: "What can I do about it?"'

Other then moving, do you have anything you sugest I do about it? I can write some angry letters to people, maybe get a sign and protest, but I am not to sure those will fix anything.

NotWii

Banned
Work on both relief wells halted; BP worried tests “could cause the back side of the relief well to be blown out” (VIDEO)
http://www.floridaoilspilllaw.com/w...-back-side-of-the-relief-well-to-be-blown-out

Also I see the new cap is on and still gushing...
Meanwhile...

Pensacola Gregg talks to the EPA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30t_hHLbzQg

More Evidence Of Oil In The Gulf Stream
I like the wording of this... as if there was any possibility the oil wouldn't get into the gulf stream. If there's one good thing about the dispersants, the heavier oil will take a lot longer to propagate through the gulf stream into the Atlantic.

Drkirby said:
Well looky what I have, a quote from the dinosaurs as during said event.
I'm talking about the dinosaurs not in the impact zone, they also died because of that same 9-mile rock. ELEs do not have to be instant and this problem isn't going away anytime soon.
Wait til the ecosystems start breaking, then we will be in for some SERIOUS doom, and it is already beginning
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100714/ap_on_sc/us_gulf_oil_spill_food_web

GhaleonEB

Tossing a link in:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38255728/ns/disaster_in_the_gulf/

HOUSTON — Just a few hours after starting pressure tests on its new cap, BP said Thursday that so far the system is containing all the oil.

BP began the tests after a daylong delay for more analysis and then a leaky valve that had to be replaced overnight.​
Hopefully nothing blows.

Haven't seen a live stream of the top of the cap showing no oil leaking yet though.

Xeke

Banned
NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- BP says oil from its broken well has stopped gushing into the Gulf of Mexico for the first time since April.

The announcement Thursday came after company officials said all valves had been shut on a new cap over the busted well in an experiment to stop the spill.

Kent Wells, a BP PLC vice president, said at a news briefing that oil stopped flowing into the water at 2:25 p.m. CDT.

It was a long-awaited milestone in one of the nation's worst environmental disasters. While not a permanent solution to plug the busted well, the success in capturing the oil spewing out was welcome news.

The crisis began when BP's deepwater rig exploded, killing 11 workers.

The cap is not a permanent fix. BP is drilling two relief wells so it can pump mud and cement into the leaking well in hopes of plugging it for good.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2010-07-15-15-50-52

syllogism

They are definitely reopening the well within 48 hours to do seismic tests and to reassess the situation.

Heh, BP stock surged almost 9% on the news.

e: or even within a few hours

CrankyJay

Banned
Hey! Did you hear they stopped the flow of oil into the gulf coast?

Yeah, they put a wedding band on the pipe and it stop putting out.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Time to celebrate.

barbecue01.jpg

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Question since I haven't followed this attempt much.

Does this cap shut off the flow of oil, or is it capturing 100% of it and bringing it to the surface?

DrForester said:
Question since I haven't followed this attempt much.

Does this cap shut off the flow of oil, or is it capturing 100% of it and bringing it to the surface?

Right now it's stopping the flow completely.
They can also use it to pump oil out of the well at any rate they want, if the plug holds, anyway.

NH Apache said:
Any current theories on how they will clean existing oil?

Lots of Dawn soap?

Honestly, there isn't a perfect way to clean oil from soil.
And the best they can do for the water is wait for it to all wash ashore.

NH Apache said:
Any current theories on how they will clean existing oil?

Really, the only realistic option will be to wait and rely on the Gulf of Mexico do what it does fairly well in breaking down oil on its own. Of course this is a huge concentrated amount of oil far larger than what it naturally deals with, so this could be a very long while before it returns to normal.

All we can do is clean / relocate threatened wildlife and, otherwise, cosmetic cleanup efforts.

Garcia

Great (old :lol ) news everyone, let's just keep our fingers crossed:

BP Finally stops oil spewing from Gulf gusher

NEW ORLEANS – The oil has stopped. For now. After 85 days and up to 184 million gallons, BP finally gained control over one of America's biggest environmental catastrophes Thursday by placing a carefully fitted cap over a runaway geyser that has been gushing crude into the Gulf of Mexico since early spring.

Though a temporary fix, the accomplishment was greeted with hope, high expectations — and, in many cases along the beleaguered coastline, disbelief. From one Gulf Coast resident came this: "Hallelujah." And from another: "I got to see it to believe it."

If the cap holds, if the sea floor doesn't crack and if the relief wells being prepared are completed successfully, this could be the beginning of the end for the spill. But that's a lot of ifs, and no one was declaring any sort of victory beyond the moment.

This is part of a pressure test. They're determining if the wellbore and the lower pipe are in proper conditions to begin the bottom kill. However watching the feeds without the oil gushing out is certainly a relaxing sight.

Garcia

It is such a complicated situation for sure. Who knows what long term effects on marine and human life will the excesive use of Corexit bring, and it is certainly impossible to measure the oil slick's magnitude and depth, however it is really refreshing to see this ray of light in the middle of this catastrophe.

First we need them to plug that hole, and then the heads will start to roll.

HylianTom

Banned
I'm giddy if this does indeed work, but won't be at all surprised when the media forgets about the affected areas in about 15 minutes or so.

But let's spend some more time talking more about Ms. Lohan. Let's.

Zyzyxxz

speculawyer said:
Damn . . . it is so nice to have good news.

Seriously, if its all good tomorrow BP better get on their ass to try and fix the Gulf to the best it can.

It will never be as good as before but they have plenty of money to get close enough.

Pimpwerx

Hope it works. I was already pretty upbeat when they'd stopped the main vent and it was only down to the two side pipes. Let's all hope this bitch stays capped and that the fear of an underground blowout are unfounded. PEACE.

gcubed

Zyzyxxz said:
Seriously, if its all good tomorrow BP better get on their ass to try and fix the Gulf to the best it can.

It will never be as good as before but they have plenty of money to get close enough.

they are going to reopen it again in 48 hours, do some tests to verify the wells being drilled are still ok, make sure the sea floor is ok and then close it again until they get the bottom kill done

Xeke

Banned
RiskyChris said:
I feel like I did when adm bitch allen said top kill was working.

Except we can visibly see no oil this time. Even if the pressure builds too much for a total cap they can suck the vast majority of it to the surface with the new cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom