• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

Had some epic co-op moments the other night. There's three (related) that I want to talk about, but I'll just use this one so I don't drown the forum in screens.

It starts in the encounter on The Ark right after the two Prowlers, near the downed Pelican. Voc and I sailed over the ridge on a Mongoose, then headed out to tackle the encounter on foot. I stick and toast this guy....

43311921-Full.jpg

...then head up on the ridge to survey the situation. I get spotted by a Chopper.

asdf.jpg

He boosts to try and splatter me, and I step aside. The dude goes sailing....

43349136-Full.jpg

43312054-Full.jpg

I had to go back and watch the saved film to catch most of the rest here. His landing was a little rough - upside down - and he bailed from the Chopper. Upon getting out, the Brute rages in my direction, apparently blaming me for the crash.

43349381-Full.jpg

Not seeing me, he turns to get his bearings, and spots the three Marines that hung back. The Brute approaches and opens fire....then gets pasted by a Marine in the turret on the Prowler.

43349676-Full.jpg

Rather than get hammered that way, he falls back and gets back into the Chopper, and starts to tear into the Prowler with it.

43312197-Full.jpg

43312272-Full.jpg

That's when I came up from behind and boarded him.

43312369-Full.jpg

Just as the Brute hit the ground - right before he died - he yells, "There he is!" as if he's surprised. It was perfect. :lol

I thought it was a cool bit of emergent AI, where an enemy AI lands in an area outside the immediate area, encounters friendly AI, sizes up a threat, and retreats to a better position. All outside of the encounter he was designed to be in. It's a testament to Bungie's dynamic AI that it can adapt to stuff like this.

Anyhoo. Then the Marines sacked up and we rolled onwards.

43312518-Full.jpg

43312655-Full.jpg

:lol :lol

What I do in that situation (even when I am in coop) is I grab the rockets from the downed pelican, give it to a marine, get in a mongoose and have that marine ride passenger.

Blueblur1

Wow, that's pretty awesome Ghaleon. It makes me want to watch campaign films of my game play and see if I catch something I missed myself.

EazyB

Banned
Ramirez said:
Trasher is alive. :O
Pics or it didn't happen.

Edit: I've been forgetting to post these screens but a few nights ago Omlet and I did some Ark co-op. He'd grabbed a chopper at the Scarab encounter and instead of tossing it when told to venture inside like most fools would do, he took that bad boy with him.

43082194-Full.jpg

We proceeded to blow through the level with the aid of the BR of vehicles

43082246-Full.jpg

And made it all the way to the end of the level, chopper intact.

43082129-Full.jpg

+1 Chopper
Like it needed it :p

MIMIC

Banned
Hmmm....so I see that Narrows has been tweaked a bit. Original rockets spawn is replaced with a Bubble Shield (and more BRs).

Where are rockets?

EazyB

Banned
MIMIC said:
Hmmm....so I see that Narrows has been tweaked a bit. Original rockets spawn is replaced with a Bubble Shield (and more BRs).

Where are rockets?
The rocks spawn where shotty used to. (BTW where is the shotty?)

And I would also like to restate my opinion that putting more BRs at the center of the map is dumb as fuck.

EazyB

Banned
JdFoX187 said:
Holy shit. Who are you and what did you do to EazyB?
:p
Dun wry, Fox. My love for the BR is as strong as ever. The biggest problem with AR starts on Narrows was that there weren't enough BRs at the two bases so if a team controlled the center of the map with BRs it was really hard for a team spawning with ARs to fight back. At least on the old map they would either have to fall back or push all the way forward to get more BR ammo. Now all they've done is give the team controlling middle a healthy supply of bullets to further the respawning team's misery.

Striker

EazyB said:
Dun wry, Fox. My love for the BR is as strong as ever. The biggest problem with AR starts on Narrows was that there weren't enough BRs at the two bases so if a team controlled the center of the map with BRs it was really hard for a team spawning with ARs to fight back. At least on the old map they would either have to fall back or push all the way forward to get more BR ammo. Now all they've done is give the team controlling middle a healthy supply of bullets to further the respawning team's misery.
Indeed.

This is the same clusterfuck as a multi-flag game at a map like Ghost Town. Stupid shit decisions is stupid shit.

EazyB said:
The rocks spawn where shotty used to. (BTW where is the shotty?)

And I would also like to restate my opinion that putting more BRs at the center of the map is dumb as fuck.

In the couple games I have played on the map I don't that it is the worst spot for them. With the new spawning on that map It is pretty difficult to hold the middle. You don't know which side they will be spawning on and if they spawn behind you they just have to throw a few nades up the middle and they catch you on the wrong side of cover.

Ramirez

EazyB said:

The base BR spawns were nuked down to the lowest possible setting according to what Luke told me the other night, and on top of the team not knowing where you are spawning at, it's ok really.

EazyB

Banned
Cap7ain Blood said:
In the couple games I have played on the map I don't that it is the worst spot for them. With the new spawning on that map It is pretty difficult to hold the middle. You don't know which side they will be spawning on and if they spawn behind you they just have to throw a few nades up the middle and they catch you on the wrong side of cover.
Hmm, I didn't know teams switch bases on Narrows now. I know for a fact that was not the case before. I could've sworn that I never saw an incident of that on the few times I've played the map. If they did actually make the spawns switchable then good by them.

Striker

Teams switching sides isn't always a good thing.

It applies to Default Foundry's Team Slayer outlook as well, and that map is horrid because of it.

EazyB said:
Hmm, I didn't know teams switch bases on Narrows now. I could've sworn that I never saw an incident of that on the few times I've played the map.

Would I lie to you EazyB........Just that new spawn stuff fixes most of the things that were wrong with Narrows IMO

Ramirez

Striker said:
Teams switching sides isn't always a good thing.

It applies to Default Foundry's Team Slayer outlook as well, and that map is horrid because of it.

Completely different styles of maps...spawn switching is a hell of a lot better than spawning in the same 2 corners on one side and getting nade spammed.

EazyB

Banned
Cap7ain Blood said:
Would I lie to you EazyB........Just that new spawn stuff fixes most of the things that were wrong with Narrows IMO
I trust you with my life, Blood.

Ramirez said:
Completely different styles of maps...spawn switching is a hell of a lot better than spawning in the same 2 corners on one side and getting nade spammed.
Agreed.
It may not always be a good thing but in Narrow's case it should be.

JdFoX187

Banned
Well, it's official. My Halo 3 disc has officially died. I put it in the 360 and it just says "Open Tray." Piece of shit. No Cold Storage for me :(

Striker

Ramirez said:
I know it is good for certain maps, but for Default Foundry it's lame, and it makes the map (not to mention the Rockets, Snipers, etc. in the back) unplayable and for the most part, not enjoyable.

The Battle Rifles spawning up top, though, is not a good decision.

Ramirez said:
The base BR spawns were nuked down to the lowest possible setting according to what Luke told me the other night, and on top of the team not knowing where you are spawning at, it's ok really.

The problem is team objective games you'll never spawn their side. So when its slayer its decent. Problem arises when their team has rockets and sniper you are basically trapped in any objective gametype spawning somewhere in your base, usually near where the default BR's are or on the sides for easy snipe fodder. Especially if you haven't gotten killed around that area at first, which is very common, dieing around the middle or under middle is more common according to heatmaps. The escape spawns are under where rockets spawn behind the ledges and on r1 l1.

Its just not really a good level geometrically speaking (Straight line)

TDG

Banned
Are we going to have an E3 IRC chat again this year? ...might not have a reason to have it...
JdFoX187 said:
Well, it's official. My Halo 3 disc has officially died. I put it in the 360 and it just says "Open Tray." Piece of shit. No Cold Storage for me :(
5dvz9t171.gif

Ramirez

xxjuicesxx said:
The problem is team objective games you'll never spawn their side. So when its slayer its decent. Problem arises when their team has rockets and sniper you are basically trapped in any objective gametype spawning somewhere in your base, usually near where the default BR's are or on the sides for easy snipe fodder. Especially if you haven't gotten killed around that area at first, which is very common, dieing around the middle or under middle is more common according to heatmaps. The escape spawns are under where rockets spawn behind the ledges and on r1 l1.

Its just not really a good level geometrically speaking (Straight line)

This can be a problem on ANY map in Objective, if you start getting spawn camped at any point in an objective game type the round is usually over...

I still don't see the problem with the BRs being up at the top-mid, as I said, the respawn timers have been nuked on the base BR spawns, and with rockets being down low instead of up top it is possible to break the mid pretty easy now.

I still don't like the map, but it's definitely a lot better than the old version.

Ramirez said:
I still don't see the problem with the BRs being up at the top-mid, as I said, the respawn timers have been nuked on the base BR spawns, and with rockets being down low instead of up top it is possible to break the mid pretty easy now.
I agree completely.
I still don't like the map, but it's definitely a lot better than the old version.
Narrows is an awesome map.

the disgruntled gamer said:
Yeah, it was... :D

Plus, we had AJ guys in there, and the ocassional random GAFer looking for the party. Good times.
E3 IRC chat what?!?!?

Kibbles

I tried re-creating the low-res gamerpic into a 90x90 higher res form. Obviously it's not 100% perfect, but I don't think I did too bad. Cap7ain Blood is already using it as an avatar though, arrr ;p

sfjif6.jpg

TDG

Banned
Dax01 said:
Narrows is an awesome map.

E3 IRC chat what?!?!?
Narrows is a fun map about 1 out of every 8 games I play on it.

During last year's E3 (this might have been during your middle school days), we had a big, fun, crazy, drunken IRC chat during MS' press conference as we waited for the Halo 3 trailer Luke had hinted at. It was good times. Gross, but fun.

(this might have been during your middle school days)
The fuck? Fuck you. I was done with my freshman year of high school by the time last year's E3 reared its head.
Edit: And what the fuck is wrong with you, logging off when I had sent you (think it was) four invites?

Dax01 said:
The fuck? Fuck you. I was done with my freshman year of high school when last year's E3 reared its head.
Edit: And what the fuck is wrong with you, logging off when I had sent you (think it was) four invites?

Badass Confirmed

TDG

Banned
Dax01 said:
The fuck? Fuck you. I was done with my freshman year of high school by the time last year's E3 reared its head.
Fuckity fuck fuck? Fuck.

Pre-edit:I'm just playin', chill.

Post-edit: I declined your invited because I was busy doing stuff. Sometimes, when people invite me, I say, "Hey, I'm not doing anything, I think I'll go play with them." But sometimes I'm already playing with someone, as I was tonight (doubles with a pal), or I'm trying to play campaign alone and I decline the invites. If the person continues inviting me after I've declined, I appear offline, so the person knows that I can't play, and doesn't send me any more invites. Simple as that, pal. No h8.

Fuckity fuck fuck? Fuck.

Fuck?

Pre-edit:I'm just playin', chill.

Oh yeah, well, you still haven't finished High School! Soooo, ha!
5dunce.gif

Post-edit: I declined your invited because I was busy doing stuff. Sometimes, when people invite me, I say, "Hey, I'm not doing anything, I think I'll go play with them." But sometimes I'm already playing with someone, as I was tonight (doubles with a pal), or I'm trying to play campaign alone and I decline the invites. If the person continues inviting me after I've declined, I appear offline, so the person knows that I can't play, and doesn't send me any more invites. Simple as that, pal. No h8.
We best be playin' 2morrow, boi, on Cold Storage or else there will be gang warz.

TDG

Banned
Dax01 said:
Oh yeah, well, you still haven't finished High School! Soooo, ha!
5dunce.gif
Actually, I'm a:
Beauty school dropout,
No graduation day for me.
Beauty school dropout,
Missed my midterms and flunked shampoo!
Well at least I could have taken time, to wash and clean my clothes up,
After spending all that dough to have the doctor fix my nose up!

armubaba

Buttonbasher said:
Twas a good time last year.

That was nothing short of epic.

I was in New York and my Internet was crapping out right around the time of the conference. I remember scrambling around and pulling out all the stops to somehow get that shit to work. And that chat. The chat was just pandemonium. Man, good times, Halo GAF, goooood times.

I miss Drew, too.

Cdammen

OK... so I see no Cold Storage in the Marketplace and Halo 3 didn't update on boot-up. Where is mah map @?

(EDIT) I'm in Sweden, Europe... maybe it hasn't been released here yet. It's 10:26 :/

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Yeah, normally it would have been up 37 minutes ago, I guess the time difference changed sometime in the last few weeks/month or so...

Made some time today to play it right away, so if anyone wants to play, I'm game today - already on GAF Halo 3, GT: DXLR8R...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom