• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueblur1

BladedExpert said:
Did the controller survive? Mine would have gone out the window!
I've been through losing sprees before and I broke a black controller once. I'm used to it by now so I just did my best to calm down and played a handful of other matches before I called it quits for this afternoon.

Blueblur1

Yeah man, I've been having bad, maddening games since yesterday. What really pisses me off is when I get matched up with players that are all lower levels than myself and then proceed to place 4th place or lower.

Small FFA matches make me pine for the old days of 8 player Rumble Pit games in Halo 2.

Blueblur1 said:
Yeah man, I've been having bad, maddening games since yesterday. What really pisses me off is when I get matched up with players that are all lower levels than myself and then proceed to place 4th place or lower.

Small FFA matches make me pine for the old days of 8 player Rumble Pit games in Halo 2.

Yup, gimme playlist control I'll fix it all.

Blueblur1 said:
You're telling me. I died 31 times.

Gah, this is the kind of crap that keeps me far away from LW. I know that I could probably hit like 48 if I really tried, but the whole kill stealing/huge amounts of deaths just infuriates me.

One game of Slayer on Guardian that I managed to come in second in (with 21 kills to the person in first's 25), I actually got 18 assists. 18 ASSISTS. Every single time I'd take someone down to 1 shot, it'd get stolen. I guess I'll have to be more reserved and just jack kills at the last second.

Bleh.

watership said:
Is everything on gamevee 4x3?
I guess it's how their capture process works, capture card is limited etc.

I been thinking about how they do this, I was having a guess that they must have part of the process automated by a script, a wired up pad to the pc somehow so button's can be pressed to access files and watch them while recording then move on. Might be manpower behind it all but damn that's a tedious job if you have to do it all manually every day :lol

Diablohead said:
I guess it's how their capture process works, capture card is limited etc.

I been thinking about how they do this, I was having a guess that they must have part of the process automated by a script, a wired up pad to the pc somehow so button's can be pressed to access files and watch them while recording then move on. Might be manpower behind it all but damn that's a tedious job if you have to do it all manually every day :lol

I'm guessing a bunch of the same computers each with a 360 attached with the same video card each running a script that downloads the file to theater plays it presses record on capture card after capturing they either compress or upload to gamevee and email the link.

The only man power seems to be picking out which fileslot the video to be captured is since you don't have to be precise. My video I labeled geometry and in my fileshare it was labeled bad geometry but it still worked. I'm guessing someone has to get the request and then pick the file to be captured and then off it goes through the queue system. Even this could be automated through some heuristic system but could make mistakes unless they make a file slot option in the uploading form.

Striker

Dax01 said:
Please take Last Resort out of the TS playlist.

That is all.
Last Resort is fun Slayer map, but it does need Battle Rifle starts at all times. Like Burial Mounds, it is fairly open and more large than the normal standard maps.

They need to ditch the Froman spawn starts, since one team spawns by Bubble Shield tower with no explosives right beside them as they spawn, and one team with 3-4 explosives.

Have one team spawn between the seawall cave hole and Camp Froman and the other team spawn between small tower and the back side of the base-structure.

Striker said:
Last Resort is fun Slayer map, but it does need Battle Rifle starts at all times. Like Burial Mounds, it is fairly open and more large than the normal standard maps.

They need to ditch the Froman spawn starts, since one team spawns by Bubble Shield tower with no explosives right beside them as they spawn, and one team with 3-4 explosives.

Have one team spawn between the seawall cave hole and Camp Froman and the other team spawn between small tower and the back side of the base-structure.
Last Resort is a terrible slayer map, even with BR starts.

Striker

Dax01 said:
Is it great? No. Is it bad? No. It adds something to the playlist that needs a lot of variety. It would become boring playing the same game-types in the same playlist over and over and over.

Team Rifles needs to be introduced once again because Team BR's doesn't always equate. For maps like The Pit, High Ground, Last Resort, and Construct, it would be much improved.

soldat7

Striker said:
Is it great? No. Is it bad? No. It adds something to the playlist that needs a lot of variety. It would become boring playing the same game-types in the same playlist over and over and over.

Exactly. Unless they replace it with Epitaph or something, it needs to stay. There are still way too few maps in the rotation.

And Last Resort is actually a fantastic Team Slayer map, especially if you have a good team.

Sullichin

I really think that the DLC maps should be incorporated into normal playlists, because most of them are better than the maps the game came with. And I don't think I've ever even played on Rat's Nest yet.

And how come I never ever see CTF on Team Objective? :(

t4ng0

Dax01 said:
Last Resort slayer is a unique type of slayer game - it requires you and your team to work together, not only in battles, but in how you set up and get into those fights. I used to just run around aimlessly looking for kills - NOT ANYMORE.

A kid on our team quit out of a slayer match, so its 3v4 Last Resort Br start, and we were losing by at least 10. Long story short, we communicated well to keep everyone together (staying in the base at first) and then gradually caught back up to win the game by like 7. Only then did I realize that to truly do well at Last Resort as a team, you HAVE to work together - and I'm not just talking about calling guys out, you have to coordinate movement. Example: moving to Froman, one player goes catwalks, maybe send two up top by laser, and the last guy moves along the ground, etc.

Yeah yeah working together helps with all games, but Last Resort is so large that it puts way more emphasis on this aspect then any other map.
That said, I still veto that shit every time it comes up because unless I'm with 3 other guys I know, it'll be hell.

check this out this thaggles guy has a team and he hasnt lost a game of mlg yet and the ranking system has only given him a 20.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/halo3/default.aspx?player=TMR ThaggleS

71 wins outta 71 games.:D

see they need to fix that.

basically my understanding of this is that they won so much at level 1 it slowly reduce the uncertainty more and more til they got stuck at 20, in order to move up they would have to lose a game so there uncertainty raises again then win more. which is absolutely logic-breaking for a ranking system.

Sullichin said:
I really think that the DLC maps should be incorporated into normal playlists, because most of them are better than the maps the game came with.

Blah, I just want to play 4v4 on Cold Storage.

Sullichin said:
And I don't think I've ever even played on Rat's Nest yet.

Really? Play DLC Slayer... or any BTB game.

Kibbles

Wow, apparently Neighbor is back on FB, Str8 still needs a 4th, Makeo is a free agent, and Walshy is now on Instinct. This was said by a forum manager so I think this is the real deal. Neighbor has been going back and forth between FB and Str8 lol, did they offer him even more money?

Damn.

Official Story: http://www.mlgpro.com/?q=node/227017

I tried my first ever GameVee video with a twist, while recording I turned off the hud and went into 3'rd person to see if they would keep that setting, they kept the 3rd person part at least.

http://www.gamevee.com/viewVideo/Halo_3/GeeVee/King_of_the_Hill_match/318366

Only a KotH but I had a lovely stick at the end, you can see how bad I play :D (and how many of my melee's don't count!)

Also it seems I always get american games when I play because 1 in 3 lobby's someone will say "oh he's eennggglliisshh" or "engand sucks" :lol

xxjuicesxx said:
basically my understanding of this is that they won so much at level 1 it slowly reduce the uncertainty more and more til they got stuck at 20, in order to move up they would have to lose a game so there uncertainty raises again then win more. which is absolutely logic-breaking for a ranking system.

I had this same problem on an alt account of mine. A friend of mine was stuck at 23 with over 1400 games played. So we all made new accounts to rank him up, I know thats a entire different issue around here, but I wanted to help. Long story short, we went 48-0 and I made it all the way to level 8......

Now the account is around 119-4 in TS and im a 29, but during that win streak I started to understand why people use the negative exp glitch and whatever else goes on to rank up. I mean if winning all your games apparently doesn't guarentee you a 50, it gets very very frustrating.

ComeBackTime said:
I had this same problem on an alt account of mine. A friend of mine was stuck at 23 with over 1400 games played. So we all made new accounts to rank him up, I know thats a entire different issue around here, but I wanted to help. Long story short, we went 48-0 and I made it all the way to level 8......

Now the account is around 119-4 in TS and im a 29, but during that win streak I started to understand why people use the negative exp glitch and whatever else goes on to rank up. I mean if winning all your games apparently doesn't guarentee you a 50, it gets very very frustrating.

Yup, I say they bring back the H2 system where it was easy to get to the mean 25 rank and then from there you had to win more in a row to get higher. and the ranks towards the top had more points needed to reach and you lose more points for a loss then you gain for a win, this means in order to get higher and higher you need to have a better win percentage. none of this mu and sigma shit.

plus it would work better than in h2 cause theres not as much cheating in h3 as h2.

Blueblur1

Where's Shiska when you need him? ;)

But seriously I don't think they can alter the matchmaking system this late in the game. Good ideas though.

GhaleonEB

Blueblur1 said:
Where's Shiska when you need him? ;)

But seriously I don't think they can alter the matchmaking system this late in the game. Good ideas though.
Major changes to the Halo 3 Online experience

Gawd I hope they explain that soon. My imagination is running wild.

Blueblur1

GhaleonEB said:
Major changes to the Halo 3 Online experience

Gawd I hope they explain that soon. My imagination is running wild.
I know, I know. But I'm being rather reserved with expectations because I'm sure most if not all of the matchmaking system programming is hard coded.

MIMIC

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
check this out this thaggles guy has a team and he hasnt lost a game of mlg yet and the ranking system has only given him a 20.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/halo3/default.aspx?player=TMR ThaggleS

71 wins outta 71 games.:D

see they need to fix that.

WOW. I think this pretty much confirms that the ranking system makes no sense. I knew I wasn't crazy for calling bullshit when I won 10 or 11 straight games in Team Slayer without ranking up

Falagard

Diablohead said:
I tried my first ever GameVee video with a twist, while recording I turned off the hud and went into 3'rd person to see if they would keep that setting, they kept the 3rd person part at least.

http://www.gamevee.com/viewVideo/Halo_3/GeeVee/King_of_the_Hill_match/318366

Only a KotH but I had a lovely stick at the end, you can see how bad I play :D (and how many of my melee's don't count!)

Also it seems I always get american games when I play because 1 in 3 lobby's someone will say "oh he's eennggglliisshh" or "engand sucks" :lol

It plays back whatever you have recorded, except that it doesn't turn off the HUD.

So if you detach the camera, change characters, go into first person, etc. while you record that'll obviously work in Gamevee since they're just using Halo's saved films playback system.

http://www.gamevee.com/viewVideo/Halo_3/GeeVee/Hero_of_Awesome/115902

GhaleonEB

Blueblur1 said:
I know, I know. But I'm being rather reserved with expectations because I'm sure most if not all of the matchmaking system programming is hard coded.
Yeah. My mind is always split between staying very realistic (load the map after the veto countdown, thanks) and crazy (overhauls to ranking and matchmaking systems).

But "major changes" is a bold promise. Not like "improvements" or just "changes".

Major.

But seriously, load the map after the veto countdown.

the disgruntled gamer said:
Last Resort is awful for slayer, especially 4v4. Any arguement to the contrary is just grasping at straws.
Thank you TDG. Seriously, a team using teamwork in Halo 3? Come on, that just isn't being realistic.

kylej

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
Yup, I say they bring back the H2 system where it was easy to get to the mean 25 rank and then from there you had to win more in a row to get higher. and the ranks towards the top had more points needed to reach and you lose more points for a loss then you gain for a win, this means in order to get higher and higher you need to have a better win percentage. none of this mu and sigma shit.

That would make too much sense.

Kibbles said:
Wow, apparently Neighbor is back on FB, Str8 still needs a 4th, Makeo is a free agent, and Walshy is now on Instinct. This was said by a forum manager so I think this is the real deal. Neighbor has been going back and forth between FB and Str8 lol, did they offer him even more money?

Damn.

Official Story: http://www.mlgpro.com/?q=node/227017

Poor Mackeo. He even changed his name :(

backflip10019 said:
Hmm, I dunno about this GameVee deal. I uploaded a video about an hour and a half ago and it still hasn't popped up. :/
My first video took 2 hours, might depend on traffic and if any video's before yours are long ones or not.

I love the website, been going over other people's halo 3 clips and theres some nice triple kills etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom