• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

Mr Vociferous said:
We've been known to be this from time to time when it comes to details. We're glad you guys liked it.

Now let's play Q&A for realz:
  1. Who is this Maddie character? What does she know that makes her important or is she a character which is only meant to provide an emotional anchor for the player a la Dominic Santiago's "Maria" in the Gears of War story?
  2. Are the ODSTs there for to locate Regret's artifact - the Forerunner gateway - or is it something else? Could they eventually be part of the team which sights the Chief as he falls from the dreadnought, as in the "Halo: Landfall" shorts?
  3. Who is inside the lone HEV? The ONI spook named DARE? The ODST team leader? Or was it just an artistic nod to the concept of the HEV drop within the context of the game?
  4. What's with this time anomaly? Is time actually speeding up or is the Superintendent's corruption causing it?
  5. Gamespot compared this game to GRAW and Gears, so will it be third-person despite presumably using the Halo 3 engine? Halo 3 has excellent third-person animations, but is there enough there to have it work fluidly as an expansion on Halo 3? Will there be a cover system in lieu of a shield? Will there be mantling instead of jumping, like most third-person games? Will it have a commander system?
  6. How many players will this support cooperatively? How many players would be realistically be fun? 4? 8? 16? Could a game support four fire teams of four?
  7. Will the space tether's fall, if it does actually happen during the game, be the most bad ass cinematic in the history of the galaxy or even universe?
  8. Will the M6D come back, per Ryan's joke/comment during the podcast earlier?
  9. Will this release as an Xbox Live download or a retail disc? Will the new maps be released alone as downloadable content this Fall, followed in January by a retail disc with all of the maps and the campaign for this new game?
:-o
  • What genre is the game?
  • What is it called?
  • Since Live calls it out as a Campaign, does that mean there is no MP, just co-op?
  • Will it come bundled with the Halo 3 MP experience (Mythic)?
  • Do the 16 pods splitting off from the main group mean it's 16-player?
  • Is that last lone pod coming down at the end Maddie?
  • Why can't I feel love?
  • How will we interact with this Superintendent AI? Is he helpful, or gone haywire?
  • What timeframe will the game cover? We seem to know when it starts - what's the scope? Do we leave Earth?

Falagard said:
Keep in mind that the GRAW designer isn't working on this particular project, as per Luke's comment.
Of course, I've reiterated as much on this very page. :)

Nevertheless, Gamespot stated that there would be an ODST tactical shooter similar to GRAW and Gears of War. Darker than the Halo trilogy. They claimed that the Superintendent project was, in fact, that game and they did this all in July of this year - well before the teaser from yesterday. Given that, I'd say that their comparison to GRAW and Gears of War must be, at the very least, a considerably high probability. I'm not accepting their words wholesale, but I feel confident they're at least semi-accurate with their GRAW/Gears of War comparison.

Does that mean third-person shooter? I have no clue.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Striker said:
I got the Achievement without crossing over. To be precise, neither me or Puma did. It still works, though.

Did Fox or Ranger cross first? It would be ironic if it was Fox since it didn't unlock for him.

JdFoX187

Banned
LunaticPuma said:
Did Fox or Ranger cross first? It would be ironic if it was Fox since it didn't unlock for him.
I was the one who crossed first. Damn Bungle! :mad:

You should have been on last night Puma, we could have done another run. But Striker's connection was being stupid.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
JdFoX187 said:

You should have been on last night Puma, we could have done another run. But Striker's connection was being stupid.

Sorry, but I was tired and went to bed around 11pm. Two nights in a row of staying up until 2am while getting up at 6:30am can be tiresome.

I'm well rested for another run tonight.

Spasm

JdFoX187 said:

You guys didn't start from a rally point, did you?

Edit: Hahaha, I missed that part. That IS funny.

Spasm

God, I wish you could save clips out of campaign mode.

(click for big)

That little spec is me trying to break orbit in my warthog with an assist from the Scarab.

My buddy in the tank is laughing so hard he can barely fight back.

Louis Wu

An Assault Story

Bomb. Gotta get the bomb. There it is!

Oh, man, I didn't see the ghost. Runrunrun... bad ghost! :(

OW HE'S SHOOTING ME OH CRAP

Sometimes you gotta love the ability of a Spartan to spin 180 degrees in mid-air.

MIMIC

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
I gotta round up some friends to do the get the Annual Vidmaster Challenge. When do the Ghosts appear and where are they again?

They're under the ramp after you defeat Guilty Spark

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Mr Vociferous said:
We've been known to be this from time to time when it comes to details. We're glad you guys liked it.

1. Who is this Maddie character? What does she know that makes her important or is she a character which is only meant to provide an emotional anchor for the player a la Dominic Santiago's "Maria" in the Gears of War story?
  2. Are the ODSTs there for to locate Regret's artifact - the Forerunner gateway - or is it something else? Could they eventually be part of the team which sights the Chief as he falls from the dreadnought, as in the "Halo: Landfall" shorts?
  3. Who is inside the lone HEV? The ONI spook named DARE? The ODST team leader? Or was it just an artistic nod to the concept of the HEV drop within the context of the game?
  4. What's with this time anomaly? Is time actually speeding up or is the Superintendent's corruption causing it?
    [*]Gamespot compared this game to GRAW and Gears, so will it be third-person despite presumably using the Halo 3 engine? Halo 3 has excellent third-person animations, but is there enough there to have it work fluidly as an expansion on Halo 3? Will there be a cover system in lieu of a shield? Will there be mantling instead of jumping, like most third-person games? Will it have a commander system?
  5. How many players will this support cooperatively? How many players would be realistically be fun? 4? 8? 16? Could a game support four fire teams of four?
  6. Will the space tether's fall, if it does actually happen during the game, be the most bad ass cinematic in the history of the galaxy or even universe?
  7. Will the M6D come back, per Ryan's joke/comment during the podcast earlier?
  8. Will this release as an Xbox Live download or a retail disc? Will the new maps be released alone as downloadable content this Fall, followed in January by a retail disc with all of the maps and the campaign for this new game?

great questions!

one that I'd like to add is related to the GRAW-esque rumors... and that is, if indeed the game is 3rd person and cover based ala graw/gow, will it have its OWN multiplayer to coincide with it like those games have?

i dont think this question has been asked, but its potentially huge. maybe the maps coming down the pipe are for this standalone only (graw/gow gameplay).

of course all of this is dependant on the fact that the gameplay IS different from halo 3, a fact which is anything but 100% at this point.

interesting speculation none the less...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Mr Vociferous said:

[*]Gamespot compared this game to GRAW and Gears, so will it be third-person despite presumably using the Halo 3 engine? Halo 3 has excellent third-person animations, but is there enough there to have it work fluidly as an expansion on Halo 3? Will there be a cover system in lieu of a shield? Will there be mantling instead of jumping, like most third-person games? Will it have a commander system?
  5. How many players will this support cooperatively? How many players would be realistically be fun? 4? 8? 16? Could a game support four fire teams of four?
  6. Will the space tether's fall, if it does actually happen during the game, be the most bad ass cinematic in the history of the galaxy or even universe?
  7. Will the M6D come back, per Ryan's joke/comment during the podcast earlier?
  8. Will this release as an Xbox Live download or a retail disc? Will the new maps be released alone as downloadable content this Fall, followed in January by a retail disc with all of the maps and the campaign for this new game?

great questions!

one that I'd like to add is related to the GRAW-esque rumors... and that is, if indeed the game is 3rd person and cover based ala graw/gow, will it have its OWN multiplayer to coincide with it like those games have?

i dont think this question has been asked, but its potentially huge. maybe the maps coming down the pipe are for this standalone only (graw/gow gameplay).

of course all of this is dependant on the fact that the gameplay IS different from halo 3, a fact which is anything but 100% at this point.

interesting speculation none the less...

**shamelessly reposted for the new page (sorry) EPIC FAIL TOO :lol oh well

Kibbles

Wow, that writeup on AscendantJustice about the teaser was amazing. Fantastic job! It was very informing, yet tons of new questions have been brought up in my head. I'm really looking forward to hearing more on this campaign extension, the article just doubled my hype. :p

Seriously guys, it was awesome.

fin

yeah great article @ AJ.

Does anyone remember the extra cinematic that shipped on the Halo 2 Map Pack disc? When did that take place? It was about ODST's as well. Could it be related?

GhaleonEB

fin said:
yeah great article @ AJ.

Does anyone remember the extra cinematic that shipped on the Halo 2 Map Pack disc? When did that take place? It was about ODST's as well. Could it be related?
Related in the sense that I've been lusting for hot ODST action ever since I saw it (and the Delta Halo cinematic in Halo 2).

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Super Johnson said:
Thought I'd share a video of me schooling a bunch of MLG folks the other night. All of them had Alt. accounts so it was pretty satisfying to pull this off.

http://www.gamevee.com/viewVideo/Halo_3/GeeVee/MLG_Extermination/930956

I don't know what kind of magic I used for that last kill, but I pulled it off in the end. Note that I have no ammo and no shields for the final beatdown.

That guy had MLG in his name, he must be legit.

LunaticPuma said:
I was wondering this too. I doubt DLC BTB has oddball. Would DLC FFA have it?
I just got Ghost Town Oddball in DLC FFA. Of the 10 games of DLC FFA that I've played today it's only come up once, so it seems to be fairly rare.

I ended up unlocking the achievement by the way. I think all but 2 players out of 8 unlocked it, so I don't think it will be that difficult when the gametype shows up.

Mr Vociferous said:

1. Could Maddie be another AI? Like another AI SI works with or his supervisor?

[*]Are the ODSTs there for to locate Regret's artifact - the Forerunner gateway - or is it something else? Could they eventually be part of the team which sights the Chief as he falls from the dreadnought, as in the "Halo: Landfall" shorts?
    If they were being dropped while Truth was still there, I guess that means it is most likely that they were there to drive Truth back.

EazyB

Banned
None of the extra 30 achievements seem to have anything to do with the SI project. I thought that this was the context we would need to understand why they can add more achievements but it doesn't look that way. There is no need to bundle a SP/coop experience with traditional MP maps either.

t4ng0

Super Johnson said:
Yeah I hate it when people do that. Stop being a poser and be creative with your gamertag. :lol
I was going to make an alt called MLG MLG MLG, just to be 3 times as good. :lol

Blueblur1

The phrase "help each other" may be blocked by the film description filter in Halo 3. Why would anyone of those words be blocked? >:| Took like 5 minutes of constant editing to figure out that was setting off the filter for a clip I'm editing.

Spasm

OK, I've got a couple of questions for the more learned Halo scholars.

At the end of H3, how does Arby not asphyxiate when they're breaking orbit with the barn doors wide open? It seemed like there might been decompression when he was dodging tanks.

On The Ark, why does a marine ask if the Dawn is rated for atmosphere when we've seen her in atmo repeatedly... Chasing Regret's ship at New Mombasa, navigating the portal to get to the Ark...

After Floodgate, the Elites glass half of Africa to deal with the Flood infestation from the infected Covenant cruiser. Great, but surely there must have been at least a LITTLE bit of another infestation caused by High Charity entering Earth's atmo in order to take the slipstream portal to the Ark.

How awesome is Bungie?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Spasm said:
OK, I've got a couple of questions for the more learned Halo scholars.

At the end of H3, how does Arby not asphyxiate when they're breaking orbit with the barn doors wide open? It seemed like there might been decompression when he was dodging tanks.

Movie magic.

Spasm said:
On The Ark, why does a marine ask if the Dawn is rated for atmosphere when we've seen her in atmo repeatedly... Chasing Regret's ship at New Mombasa, navigating the portal to get to the Ark...

Did the marine in question see all what the player has seen? Doubtful. Also, could be "special" marine with learning difficulties . Not all marines are rocket scientists.

Spasm said:
After Floodgate, the Elites glass half of Africa to deal with the Flood infestation from the infected Covenant cruiser. Great, but surely there must have been at least a LITTLE bit of another infestation caused by High Charity entering Earth's atmo in order to take the slipstream portal to the Ark.

Not necessarily. Unless there has been stated proof which we haven't seen.

Spasm said:
How awesome is Bungie?

So awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom